No announcement yet.

Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TO ME, the guys were all getting tired and worn down and burnt out, and i felt that it showed in s5. that they were literally counting the days until 'ok, it's over and we can move on'

then came s6 and, again TO ME, a boost of enthusiasm and excitement and new energy.

I ADORED teal'c not longer being the token alien, but a mentor, Sam being more of a big sister to Jonas, Jack taking a while to warm up to him.

I just loved the new dynamic and the feeling of optimism that i got from the characters.

It's my favorite season of the show, and was incredibly inspiring to me
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have to say that I liked season 5, but mostly because most of my favorite episodes are Season 5 (and 4, and 7). But I also did enjoy season 6. And I never felt any animosity towards Jonas, maybe because I didn't think the world ended when Daniel died/Ascended. But maybe that's because I was slow to warm up to Daniel initiatally compared to the other characters.

Vala and Cam were initially grating, Cam morso than Vala I feel, perhaps because of the questions of leadership he raised. Fanfic does Vala a disservice I think, she wasn't around very long to establish herself as an individual before the last show throws her with Daniel, which fanon was already pairing her up with anyway, she never really stood a chance.
      sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

I really wish I could write Vala better. I never wrote SG-1 fic until the series was over. I write Daniel/Cameron fic now but I try to include the others but they're hard for me to write.

Mostly I've written SGA fic.

Comment

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post
          I have to say that I liked season 5, but mostly because most of my favorite episodes are Season 5 (and 4, and 7). But I also did enjoy season 6. And I never felt any animosity towards Jonas, maybe because I didn't think the world ended when Daniel died/Ascended. But maybe that's because I was slow to warm up to Daniel initiatally compared to the other characters.

Vala and Cam were initially grating, Cam morso than Vala I feel, perhaps because of the questions of leadership he raised. Fanfic does Vala a disservice I think, she wasn't around very long to establish herself as an individual before the last show throws her with Daniel, which fanon was already pairing her up with anyway, she never really stood a chance.
          I didn't think the world ended either. He wanted to go, he left, the show went on.

I too have some very serious issues with cam and how they handled that, which is probably why i ignore the character. Vala....vala is so much better on her own than as arm candy for Daniel.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I like to blame Cam on the writers too.
            sigpic

Comment

Hahaha, I love the idea of having to post content warnings because you wrote a canon S6 SG1 fic that has Jonas in it or you wrote S9 or 10 with Cam etc. I just happily write in SG1 seasons 1-5, or 7, and ignore the rest lol. Though I've been thinking about tackling a Jonas fic. Eventually I may write one with a late SG1 team dynamic, but I will freely admit that I am most comfortable with the original team dynamic.
              I just don't read S9/S10 stuff without the fic being suggested by someone I trust. I *really* don't expect a warning. That would be crazy. As much as I dislike it personally, it is canon.

Yeah. I like to blame Cam on the writers too.

I tend to like well-written Vala way more than the Vala on the show. She seems more three dimensional.
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Well, I don't think the show did a very good service to either Cam or Vala, and fanfiction even less so for the most part continues with the trend, since the characters do have faults, it's easy enough to over emphasize them, especially if one doesn't necessarily feel that the character has a lot of high points to play to instead.

Anyway, on another note... Am I missing something that I fail to see the fascination with talent shows, fashion shows, charity auctions, etc?
                sigpic

Comment

Anyway, on another note... Am I missing something that I fail to see the fascination with talent shows, fashion shows, charity auctions, etc?[/COLOR][/B]
                  Well, if you are missing something there, then I am too. Talent shows, fashion shows, reality shows ... I avoid all of them completely.

Comment

yeah, can you EVER see Sam or Jack singing karoke????

sigpic

Comment

Doesn't Sam get stage fright? (I always thought that was cute...)
                      sigpic

Comment

sometimes

honestly, i tend to see the words 'talent night' in a fic listing and give it an auto pass

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm.... Well, the only way I'd see them participating is if paricipation was mandatory, and I don't see why it would be. But if, somehow, if, one surmounts the major obstacle of participation, the participants would then have to come up with suitable talents. Not breaking into a song and dance rountine.

Jack perhaps might burp the alphabet. Teal'c may do a demonstaration of some fighting style, or stregth thing. Daniel could recite some play or poetry in a foriegn language. Sam... could blow something up.
                          sigpic

Comment

sam would spar with teal'c

daniel would do his poetry or whatever....jack would call in sick

sigpic

Comment

Anyway, on another note... Am I missing something that I fail to see the fascination with talent shows, fashion shows, charity auctions, etc?
                              Heavens NO!!!

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Not at all!!! I am really getting sick of all the 'reality' shows that are out there. It's as if no one can think of anything original and they all follow the leader. *sigh*

My biggest peeve at the moment is when slash is not mentioned or warned about. Don't get me wrong... I don't mind slash from time to time when it's well written, but when it's not mentioned in the author's remarks it really irks me!

Comment

Working...
                                X