Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
    Sam hiding the kid; ends up with two more by the end (yes! twins!*) - and that discussion made me chuckle. Thus, so did the fic.
    Meanwhile in the Stargate Universe Writers Room, Vancouver branch, Mr Joe Mallozzi storms into the room shouting "I've just read this AMAZING idea for a story on the internet!!"

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post
    There are an awful lot of those "set season ten etc.. but Janet didn't die!" fics aren't there?
    well its not like they had a Doctor back then *ba dom dom pish*

(One day i'll bring something meaningful and serious to these discussions. One day)
    [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
      Meanwhile in the Stargate Universe Writers Room, Vancouver branch, Mr Joe Mallozzi storms into the room shouting "I've just read this AMAZING idea for a story on the internet!!"
      OMFG HAHAHAHAHA. *feels slightly guilty... nope, it passed* Can't help myself ; it's funny!

Hats-off to you.
      Last edited by slurredspeech; 14 December 2009, 10:24 AM.
      you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        LOL

yeah, when i find a fic that's peevy, i just back away slowly...and then use the experience to have something to talk about here

concrit isn't easy, and I used to only do it for people i knew. And i'd always ask when someone asked me to beta, 'what do you want? just a spelling, grammar, fact checking? or do you want me to dig in deeper?'

and then do what they asked for
        Peevy's the technical term, right?

I'm not a good beta because I'm too much of a perfectionist. If you ever want someone to analyze stuff with a fine tooth comb, I'm your gal. As long as you don't need it anytime soon.
        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Re: the way people see characters.. It's not necessarily a question of wrong/ right, but sometimes what really amazes me is... these people are obviously fans of these characters. How can you take an independent, strong character, write them as needy/ sanctimonious/ whatever, and still recognise those characters you fell in love with?
          I can see someone writing Carter as needy and backbone less if they hate her. I can see Daniel needed protection from the world in general if they think he's a useless git. But this is so often not the case, that I'm really stunned!
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
            Re: the way people see characters.. It's not necessarily a question of wrong/ right, but sometimes what really amazes me is... these people are obviously fans of these characters. How can you take an independent, strong character, write them as needy/ sanctimonious/ whatever, and still recognise those characters you fell in love with?
            I can see someone writing Carter as needy and backbone less if they hate her. I can see Daniel needed protection from the world in general if they think he's a useless git. But this is so often not the case, that I'm really stunned!
            For me it's always been the Carter haters that I've come across reading SG-1 fanfic. Of course that may have to do with the fact I always liked to read genfic focused on Jack and Daniel. Not that I dislike Carter or Teal'c for that matter it was just something I was more interested in at the time. Of course after so much Carter bashing I gave up on SG-1 fic.

Although I've returned to it somewhat reading some s9 and 10 fic.

Comment

You know, Daniel has likely logged more frequent flyer miles than Jack. He's been to and lived in various corners of the world before he graduated from elementary school.

he may not be as well versed in tactics and 'darned distasteful things' like Jack and teal'c, but daniel is no naive little innocent

they 'woobie' him to the point that he's not even recognizable - at least to me
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

My Janet prtest has manifested itself into the odd format of a block or inability to write anything occuring in the time frame after Janet's death. Muse just comes back to the original SG1, she doens't even like Jack as a general.

So I guess I'm just old fashioned

There are an awful lot of those "set season ten etc.. but Janet didn't die!" fics aren't there?
                Ain't that why it's called fanfiction??
                Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

lol

i lost count of how many virtual season 6's there were.

In fact, i remember one list that declared that as long as a fic had daniel and didn't have jonas and ignored meridian, they didn't consider it an AU, they considered it 'real' and even set up a rule that if Jonas was in a fic, it necessitated a content warning.

sigpic

Comment

lol

i lost count of how many virtual season 6's there were.

In fact, i remember one list that declared that as long as a fic had daniel and didn't have jonas and ignored meridian, they didn't consider it an AU, they considered it 'real' and even set up a rule that if Jonas was in a fic, it necessitated a content warning.
                    I can't talk, I consider a warning needed if Mitchell is in the story. Though for some odd reason S10 Vala doesn't bother me.

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

it's one thing to say 'please list the characters', another to declare that your preferences are 'canon' and reality is an alternate universe because you don't like it

everyone has their preferences, nothing wrong with that. But just cause you may or may not like something doesn't mean that it's empirically wrong.

sigpic

Comment

Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                        Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Hahaha, I love the idea of having to post content warnings because you wrote a canon S6 SG1 fic that has Jonas in it or you wrote S9 or 10 with Cam etc. I just happily write in SG1 seasons 1-5, or 7, and ignore the rest lol. Though I've been thinking about tackling a Jonas fic. Eventually I may write one with a late SG1 team dynamic, but I will freely admit that I am most comfortable with the original team dynamic.

I guess I will also admit I enjoy reading the original team better, but mostly because too many stories ignore Jonas, treat Cam like a bumbling idiot, always rushing off and doing stuff that results in the others getting hurt, or Vala being manipulative and lying, if she's not all over Daniel.

General Jack is caring, loving, compassionate, and drops absolutely everything to spend time caring for injured Sam, because they are finally together. After all, as a General, he can apparanlty clear his schedule at a command and be at her beck and call.

So I guess I haven't been too enthusiastic about anything other than the original dynamic.
                          sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

Hahaha, I love the idea of having to post content warnings because you wrote a canon S6 SG1 fic that has Jonas in it or you wrote S9 or 10 with Cam etc. I just happily write in SG1 seasons 1-5, or 7, and ignore the rest lol. Though I've been thinking about tackling a Jonas fic. Eventually I may write one with a late SG1 team dynamic, but I will freely admit that I am most comfortable with the original team dynamic.

I guess I will also admit I enjoy reading the original team better, but mostly because too many stories ignore Jonas, treat Cam like a bumbling idiot, always rushing off and doing stuff that results in the others getting hurt, or Vala being manipulative and lying, if she's not all over Daniel.

General Jack is caring, loving, compassionate, and drops absolutely everything to spend time caring for injured Sam, because they are finally together. After all, as a General, he can apparanlty clear his schedule at a command and be at her beck and call.

So I guess I haven't been too enthusiastic about anything other than the original dynamic.
                            lol at the above bolded Adnuttedly i do the same to Cam, but instead of getting the others hurt, he pulls them out in a pinch.

i too agree taht i prefered the original team dynamic. Vala was... i dunno. almost like she's the good luck charm SG1 carries around that doesn't always work. Cam i just can't take seriously. like, he's a good soldier and whatnot, but his entry into SG1 just feels so contrived. (well not contrived, i just can't think of a weaker word than that ATM*

Jonas ... i kinda wanted to slap him silly. just that goofy smile... other than that though i really had no big beef against him
                            Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                            Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                            Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

I loved s6. I think i wrote a fic for every single episode and i adored the new dynamic. In fact, that was kind the pinnacle of my writing and it's tapered off ever since.

I don't think i've written much with cam, largely because i found s9 and 10 so uninspiring. Vala....you know vala is fun to write. just have her in your head with her accent, let her rouse a little rabble and have some fun (course, when i do write her she's not Vaniel, but Vala, so maybe that makes a difference. She's her, not just the hero's girlfriend)

sigpic

Comment

I loved s6. I think i wrote a fic for every single episode and i adored the new dynamic.
                                Me too. I thought Jonas brought a refreshing outlook(?) to the series.

Comment

Working...
                                X