Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadly speaking, what kind of decorations would a US Army officer who's served in the first Gulf War in 1991, and in Somalia during Operation Gothic Serpent in 1993 have?
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Broadly speaking, what kind of decorations would a US Army officer who's served in the first Gulf War in 1991, and in Somalia during Operation Gothic Serpent in 1993 have?
      His age, rank and TIS might help.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I'm guessing he means the specific ribbons for those campaigns...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I'm with SF_and_Coffee.
          The officer would have whatever campaign ribbons the US issued for those campaigns/operations.
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Here are some American Gulf war medals:

http://www.marksmedals.com/us_medals...a_service.html
            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              His age, rank and TIS might help.
              Early 40s. Major. Joined the army at 17.

He started as a buck private, was a Staff Sgt. during much of Desert Storm, recieved a field promotion to 2nd Lt. for an act of outstanding bravery.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

The modern US military does not do field promotions from enlisted to officer rank. The only way to go from enlisted to officer is through completing a BA/BS degree and either ROTC or OCS for your service branch, or to complete a degree in certain specialized areas of study (such as becoming a medical doctor) and being directly commissioned in that specialty, such as a military doctor.

The US military has not done field promotions at all since, I believe, the Vietnam War -- and those were only temporary promotions, not permanent ones. The last permanent ones occurred during WWII.
                Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 04 March 2012, 11:04 AM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Early 40s. Major. Joined the army at 17.

He started as a buck private, was a Staff Sgt. during much of Desert Storm, recieved a field promotion to 2nd Lt. for an act of outstanding bravery.
                  It should be noted that, at least in our reality, there haven't been any battlefield commissions in the US military since the Vietnam War but that battlefield commissions are - as far as my five minutes of research can tell - still possible.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                    It should be noted that, at least in our reality, there haven't been any battlefield commissions in the US military since the Vietnam War but that battlefield commissions are - as far as my five minutes of research can tell - still possible.
                    Sorry, but they don't happen anymore. Scroll up and see my post before yours. For one source, check this, which I'm citing only because it brings together several elements of what I've researched.

ETA: More details and discussion here, here and here. Note that most of the participants in the discussions are current or recent members of the US military, and it's safe to assume that they have a clue what they're talking about.
                    Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 04 March 2012, 11:21 AM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Well, like I said - five minutes research. Only so much that can be done.
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                        Well, like I said - five minutes research. Only so much that can be done.
                        Oh, I quite understand. I just happened to have looked up something along similar lines not long ago in regard to a question that arose in my own mind due to a story I'd read, and recalled what search strings I'd used to find the information I needed.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Guys, he's a fictional character. Kind of a modern day Richard Sharpe if you like.

It's part of his backstory that it was his team of Rangers that pulled Col. O'Neill out of the Iraqi P.O.W. camp during Desert Storm.

If it makes you feel any better, forget the part about the field commission, and just concentrate on whan decorations and qualifications he'd have.
                          sigpic

Comment

Guys, he's a fictional character. Kind of a modern day Richard Sharpe if you like.

It's part of his backstory that it was his team of Rangers that pulled Col. O'Neill out of the Iraqi P.O.W. camp during Desert Storm.
                            That's fine. It's just that fictional characters in real settings (Earth, historical events, the military -- which is a known quantity) do need to conform to their settings in order to be realistic. That's why good writers who set their stories in such settings do plenty of research. I've found that quite a few military personnel and veterans enjoy Stargate and read Stargate fanfic, and they enjoy it much more when the military aspects of the story are as accurate as possible.

If it makes you feel any better, forget the part about the field commission, and just concentrate on whan decorations and qualifications he'd have.
                            If I were on my computer at home right now I could probably throw you some links that might be helpful. Since I'm not, I'll defer to Sealurk, who probably has a ton of them bookmarked.

And there are other ways you could get your character commissioned -- permanently, no less -- without resorting to the nonexistent possibility of a field promotion from enlisted to officer. Perhaps he gets a major decoration for the act of bravery, and he was already only a few credit hours shy of his Bachelor's degree (or he'd already completed it) so someone high up the chain of command pulls strings to get him into OCS ahead of others and therefore he's pretty much fast-tracked to a commission, the tacit understanding being that this is as a direct result of what he did in the war.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

On the last page, I did post a link to medals and such. It may have been missed.
                              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Hi all.
                                Does anyone know of any other forms of time travel that a SG team could use other than the solar flare technique used in '1969' and 'Continuum'?

Or should I use a theory of my own ?

I am aware of Janus' time-jumper. But I don't want to step on any toes.
                                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                                To thy own self... Be true
                                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Working...
                                X