This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
    At @ 640 lightyears away, is is possible that the Hammond or any other Tauri spaceships have visited the system containing Betelgeuse by current time?

Is the Asgard hyperdrive and the available power enough to make a trip of that magnitude routine? Or is it unlikely because it would be a frivolous use of precious resources?
    640 ly isn't that great a distance in the grand scheme of things - our galaxy, the Milky Way, is approximately 100,000 ly in diameter, and the Andromeda galaxy is about 3 million ly away if I remember correctly (and heading towards us).

Since heavy duty power sources only seem to be required for the long jumps between galaxies, I'd say Betelgeuse is easily within range of Earth's ships, provided they had reason to go.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
      640 ly isn't that great a distance in the grand scheme of things - our galaxy, the Milky Way, is approximately 100,000 ly in diameter, and the Andromeda galaxy is about 3 million ly away if I remember correctly (and heading towards us).

Since heavy duty power sources only seem to be required for the long jumps between galaxies, I'd say Betelgeuse is easily within range of Earth's ships, provided they had reason to go.
      A heavy duty power source like a ZPM, is only required to shortage the overall passage timeline by running the hyperdrives at maximum effeciency. Case in point,nthe Daedalus and Apollo can make the trip to Pegasus in weeks, while the addition of a ZPM reduces the trip length to four days.

Comment

Do we think that the SGC would have a dedicated dentist?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

IMO, no. There are very few dental emergencies that can't be stabilized by a doctor before sending the patient off to the dentist. I speak as someone with extensive dental experience (as a patient).

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
            IMO, no. There are very few dental emergencies that can't be stabilized by a doctor before sending the patient off to the dentist. I speak as someone with extensive dental experience (as a patient).

Seaboe
            Fair enough. Thanks.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I think they'd get someone from the AF Academy Hospital if there's a dental emergency and the patient can't leave the SGC for some reason, like they have in the past when other medical expertise was necessary.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Hi all.
                I was searching through my fan fic folder.
                And I found one I'd started to write in the first person.

Is writing a fic this way a good idea?
                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                To thy own self... Be true
                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                  Hi all.

Personally, I'm not too fond of reading first-person stories, be that fics or real books. However, I've come across a few that are really good, but I really have to get past the first-person narrative to enjoy it. In a lot of fics it also isn't executed properly with the writer slipping up and accidentally stepping out of the 1st person, or describing something in such a way that doesn't fit with the point of view.

That said, I have one fic in the planning that's probably going to be in first person because I think that's the best way to tell the story (it's supposed to be a book written by Mark Carter after Disclosure of the Program).

If you think that is the best way to tell your story, then go for it but make sure you do it properly.
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Hi all.

It isn't a good idea, nor is it a bad idea. Some people like that kind of writing, and others don't. So you need to please yourself with what you write.

Comment

Thanks.
                      I thought I'd give it a try.
                      As it stands it is a WIP and so it can be changed to a third person view.

Comment

Hi all.

It's entirely up to you - completely personal preference. In general, third person tends to be easier to write, and not everybody likes first person because it can be tricky to pull off well.

BUT - when done well it can be supremely effective, enjoyable and readable. If you think you can pull it off, go for it. If not - why not still go for it, see how well you do and get feedback to inform any future attempts?
                        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          I think they'd get someone from the AF Academy Hospital if there's a dental emergency and the patient can't leave the SGC for some reason, like they have in the past when other medical expertise was necessary.
                          I agree. I'd think they would have someone on call for emergencies.

Hi all.

Some stories work best this way, particularly if there will be much introspection. However, introspection can get in the way of action. There are probably ways to slip into first person without the whole story being that way. Perhaps the character keeps a diary which can be added to the main story.
                          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Hi all.

Originally posted by fems View Post
                            Personally, I'm not too fond of reading first-person stories, be that fics or real books. However, I've come across a few that are really good, but I really have to get past the first-person narrative to enjoy it. In a lot of fics it also isn't executed properly with the writer slipping up and accidentally stepping out of the 1st person, or describing something in such a way that doesn't fit with the point of view.
                            Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                            Some stories work best this way, particularly if there will be much introspection. However, introspection can get in the way of action. There are probably ways to slip into first person without the whole story being that way. Perhaps the character keeps a diary which can be added to the main story.
                            As others have noted, it's largely a matter of personal preference. However, I will say that when writing in first-person, one must be extremely careful to maintain the illusion of being in the head of the narrator. That means only ever describing things of which your POV narrator could actually be aware. In other words, no description of the thoughts of others, or of anything another character does where the narrator cannot see or hear it, or of anything that happens outside of the narrator's awareness. This is actually more difficult than it sounds, mainly because most of us are far more accustomed to reading stories that are written in third person or even third-person omniscient, in which the story can be told either from multiple characters' POV or from the POV of an omniscient non-character narrator. When you're accustomed to that model, writing in first-person can feel very limiting and it can be very easy to forget that you must remain in one single character's head at all times. Even people who have been writing for years can run into trouble with this.

Personally, I've read some really troublesome first-person fics, and a few extremely good ones. Flora's three Cromwell-centered fics (which I promote to readers of my own ATWLB and also keep quietly archived on my site as a back-up should anything ever happen to jackfic.net, as did happen briefly sometime late in 2010) are extremely well-written, and they are in first-person. Starfist, I'm guessing you've read them, but if you haven't, give them a read for an idea of what I'm talking about. If you think you can match her skill at staying well within the narrator's POV, then go for it. Otherwise, as others have suggested, you're probably better off writing in third-person but here and there slipping in passages of internal observations or thoughts that can be done in first person. Or diary entries, since those would naturally be in first person. I make use of both of these tricks myself.

If you want a genuine appraisal of whether or not your first-person mojo is working, feel free to send me some of the story and I'll be happy to take a look at it and tell you what I think.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                            sigpic
                            now also appearing on DeviantArt
                            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Hi all.

I'm about 130,000 words in to Broken Silence and it will likely be on the par of 300,000 words when it's finished--and all in the first person POV. It can be done. There are certain chapters coming up where the narrator in the novel will--ahem--technically not be in his body so that definitely opens things up for the narrative.

Edit: Since the narrator in Broken Silence is a telepath, he can sense people's thoughts easily most of the time. When he can't, interesting things start to happen.
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm going to keep writing the 1st person fic.
                                Just to see if I can do it. And thank you for your offer SF&C.

Comment

Working...
                                X