Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win Gold Tickets to Creation Vancouver (April 14-17)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Stargate is important to me? Well stargate is important to me because it has become an intrigal part of my life. I could not wait every friday for stargate to come on and did everything I could to support stargate as buying every season of SG-1 and SGA. It was as if I lost a family member when SGA was cancelled and I even went as far as to purchase Mckays outfit in the propworx auctions from my favorite 2 part episode "This Mortal Coil" and "Be All My Sins Remembered". Never have I invested myself in a television series before like this thats why its important to me its more then tv to me thanx.

Comment

Stargate is important to me because it is something my husband and I enjoy watching together. We have watched every episode of SG1, Atlantis, and Universe together. I would loe for us to be able to meet the people behind this wonderful universe that has given us so many hours of enjoyment.

Comment

Stargate became important to me when my husband who had young on-set Parkinsons disease, became bedridden and unable to speak after suffering a stroke during experimental brain surgery. After the caregivers left for the day, he and I would spend the evenings watching Stargate. We both enjoyed the story line of the episodes, but more importantly, the humor and interaction of the characters. The 200th episode was an especially meaningful one to me. It was during this episode when the puppets went through the gate and 'died', that my husband broke out in laughter. That was the first sound I had heard from him in months. It was a gift I truly treasure, as he passed away at age 48 less than three months later. I had the opportunity to meet Richard Dean Anderson this past summer, and I conveyed to him my appreciation for the gift he helped unknowingly give, and the enjoyment that made a very difficult time a liitle better. Stargate will always have a special meaning to me, and I continue to watch and enjoy each episode.

Comment

Why is Stargate important to me?

Stargate is my life, or at least my life away from real life. If I didn't have Stargate to watch everyday I think I would die, it is a must see, my way to relax.
          I have made so many friends through this television show, introduced friends to this show through the years, and met new friends at local conventions because of this show.
          I would love to have the opportunity to meet some of my Gateworld friends at a Con as well as meet some of the stars of the Stargate Franchise!

Thanks Gateworld for being here!

Comment

Stargate is important to me because it shows us human courage, dedication, and most importantly, humor in the light of adversary and sometimes overwhelming odds.

Comment

Because of all the friends I've made that I never would have without Stargate.
              sigpic

Comment

Stargate is important to me because it inspired me to get into my field. Most of the characters, like Sam Carter and Dr. McKay on the show are good role models for people to get into science.

It's also important to me because it allowed me to meet similar-minded people in college. Through weekly Friday-Night Stargate Parties, I met several people that I am still in contact with today.
                sigpic

Comment

The reason Stargate is important to me is that it is an escape from real life. Every week I got to (at least for 1 hr) escape my real life. I am a stay at home dad with a 5yr son and a 5month old daughter. My wife works days and I literally walk out the door when she gets home to work nights. We both are HUGE stargate fans and the one show we would watch together on the one day we both have off is/was SG1/SGA/SGU. I have never been to a stargate con due to the the lack of $$$ and we both want nothing more than to have a chance to go to one soon (now that SGU is no longer and we are not sure how many more cons there will be) but don't have the disposal income to get to one.

Thanks GateWorld for the chance to win a trip to Creation and good luck to everyone!!!

Comment

Stargate is important to me because in many ways it has shaped my life. I have been watching Stargate since I was nine and in many ways the characters have become like family to me. I have come to respect many of the morals and ethics that not only the characters up hold in but also the actors in real life, like Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson.
                    Stargate introduced me to the world of science and engineering and inspired me to pursue a career in the field of engineering to make some of what we see on the show possible. As I have just started my PhD in robotics I have really come to appreciate the impact that Stargate has had on my life. The opportunity to thank the actors and writers at the convention who help shaped my life would be a great honor.

Comment

Stargate is important to me because in one of the worse times of my life I felt as if suicide was my only option out.. something as simple (ridiculous to some) as a tv show saved me. When I watch Stargate I can escape the pressures/problems of life & go into my own little Stargate world & experience true happiness in that moment. I can't exactly pin point what it is about Stargate that has me so intrigued... but it does. I am extremely thankful everyday that this show exists.

Comment

I love being taken to different worlds where boredom is forbidden.

Comment

Stargate is important to me because it opened my eyes to SciFi. Now when I'm down and in the dumps, all I have to do is put on an episode of Stargate and I'm happy. For those 42 mins everything is great.

Comment

Stargate is important to me because it has been an epic and engaging story that has both influenced and excited me as I've grown up. It's always been an adventure to enjoy and be a part of

Comment

StarGate is most important to me because it has continually allowed me to open my mind to the unlimited possibilities that might be out there beyond our own existence. It has given me the ability to close my eyes and imagine what our lives would be like if we weren't the only ones out here in this vast universe.

Comment

Creation’s Vancouver Stargate Con – Contest to Win Gold Passes Entry

"Why is Stargate important to you?"
                                Stargate represents one of three sci-fi television series that plays an on-going role in my journey toward becoming a screen-writer. I started watching solely because of the Farscape parody in '200,' but because I had to know the series' history until that point, I watched from the film and pilot.

Along the way, I gained respect and admiration not only for the characters, but the actors, writers, directors, etc. My tendency is to attach myself to strong female characters and, despite being a military-drama, Stargate does not lack those types of characters. Carter, Fraiser, Vala, Elizabeth, Teyla... naturally strong, even in environments where being female is still deeply viewed as a weakness.

My absolute favourite episode is the 2-part documentary-styled 'Heroes.' It outlines the best of the show, keeps up suspense, and in the end rips my heart out each time. I don't think I've cried so hard over the death of any other fictional character (and I've had my share of good cries). I found it a genius way to bid farewell to a beloved character.

Each time I experience an episode, the humour brings my mother's comment to mind: "I thought that was a sci-fi show... so why are you laughing?" Why not! Science fiction has every right to be funny. Jack O'Neill's sarcasm hits close to home because it's exactly the type of sarcasm I use myself.

The show carries interesting philosophies, of which I continue to explore every day. The moral/ethical struggles SGC tackles every time they meet other sentients is tough and honourable, but relate-able. That's the great thing about Stargate and sci-fi in general--they're told in foreign settings, but oft-times hit closer to home than Earth-based dramas.

What truly clinched Stargate's importance to me was when I finally braved Atlantis. After months of absorption in the SG-1 series, I worried about a spin-off. A lot of folks I talked to said it wasn't as good as the original, which tickled my nerves. Sequels and spin-offs always set me on edge. Pathetic attempts to recreate a brilliant story with new characters in a possibly new setting.

Atlantis erased my fears that the Stargate crew could expand their universe without all that boo-ha. From the pilot of that series, I was introduced to a couple of beloved "minor" characters now made main characters (Dr. Weir and Rodney McKay), whose back-stories and futures evolved into what I consider two of my favourite characters of all time.

My immediate impression was “Whooooa—the tone is completely different from SG-1!” It still had the underlying humour, but Atlantis chose a darker route than SG-1. Film colours were darker, stories were darker, situations more dire. A team of Earthlings stranded in a foreign galaxy, faced with a threat they had no idea how to conquer. They couldn’t return to the safety of SGC or seek the advice of anyone but themselves. They had to survive by feeling their own way through trial-and-error.

Rather than recreate SG-1, Atlantis epitomizes what it means to expand on a universe. I especially appreciated how each series, while they aired simultaneously, crossed over enough to satisfy fans of both without confusing those who preferred one over the other.

So, Stargate’s importance to me remains mainly artistic. I’m driven to it out of respect for years of creativity to enjoy, but also love how I can dissect and analyse layers to both the show’s stories as well as its production decisions.

Comment

Working...
                                X