Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
    And more rain expected! So glad I live up on a hill You go careful Josi
    No flipping good in the ice and snow though.

More rain? Oh... joy.

*huggles* for all the transatlantic folk experiencing snow/cold, and Josi for rising flood waters (again). Even the little Crane and Longford rivers around here are pretty much topped out and have overflown banks in places. Luckily not in places where there's danger of flooding houses but there has been some flooding along this stretch of the Thames.

I was watching some footage from Chesil beach the other day. These waves actually crested the shingle ridge at one point and flooded the town behind. Bear in mind the ridge is about 50 feet above the high tide mark. The beach road (the only thing that connects Portland Island to the mainland) was closed at least once a day for a few hours almost every day that week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxq_gQTsak
    Still, at least the storms didn't take out the main South West railway line, eh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ew3M0jM5rs Oops, maybe they did!
    sigpic

Comment

Afternoon all! Back safe and sound from the Caribbean. Was a glorious week, I don't know how many of you have been but it's just such a fantastically chilled area (as I'm sure you can imagine )

We were lucky enough to see quite a few of the islands, go out on a boat tour and even go snorkelling at one point - my first time and it was absolutely incredible! But I think Dave's highlight of the entire week was our trip to St. Maarten () where we visited the beach under the airport - the one where the planes land basically on top of you!! For those of you that haven't seen it a video - skip to about 2:50 to see what it's like! And yes, there are people that hold onto the railings behind the plane for the thrill of it - nutters!

Hope you all had a good week

Nad, sending positive vibes to you and your mom, hope things are progressing and you're getting all the support you need.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      Awesome. Will definitely miss the others but I know for many it is a long way to come. What about Sarai though?
      I'll be sorry to miss it but I'm afraid I just don't have enough holiday allowance this year to take the time off work. Plus been having some major issues with my car so not sure it would stand the test! I'll be thinking of you all though, someone have a creme brulee for me (Cags I'm looking at you!! )

Comment

*dying of jealousy*

So glad you had such an awesome time, Sarai! I would love to go to the Caribbean - one day!

The water levels have stabilised here today but they're expecting them to rise further later in the week. It's just been absolutely relentless this year, and at the moment is much worse further down the river - East Berkshire is really drowning at the moment
        sigpic
        Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

I love St. Maarten! Gorgeous island
          sigpic

Comment

Jealous. My sister is on a cruise right now. *sigh* She asked me to go but it was too short of notice and I wouldn't have been able to get the time off, plus I really don't have the money right now so I would have had to owe her.

I'm not too jealous, my sis deserves a break, but boy I am ready for one too. What I wouldn't give right now for 24 hours all to myself.
            sigpic

----------
            FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Jealous. My sister is on a cruise right now. *sigh* She asked me to go but it was too short of notice and I wouldn't have been able to get the time off, plus I really don't have the money right now so I would have had to owe her.

I'm not too jealous, my sis deserves a break, but boy I am ready for one too. What I wouldn't give right now for 24 hours all to myself.
              sigpic

----------
              FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                  Afternoon all! Back safe and sound from the Caribbean. Was a glorious week, I don't know how many of you have been but it's just such a fantastically chilled area (as I'm sure you can imagine )

We were lucky enough to see quite a few of the islands, go out on a boat tour and even go snorkelling at one point - my first time and it was absolutely incredible! But I think Dave's highlight of the entire week was our trip to St. Maarten () where we visited the beach under the airport - the one where the planes land basically on top of you!! For those of you that haven't seen it a video - skip to about 2:50 to see what it's like! And yes, there are people that hold onto the railings behind the plane for the thrill of it - nutters!

Hope you all had a good week

Nad, sending positive vibes to you and your mom, hope things are progressing and you're getting all the support you need.

I'll be sorry to miss it but I'm afraid I just don't have enough holiday allowance this year to take the time off work. Plus been having some major issues with my car so not sure it would stand the test! I'll be thinking of you all though, someone have a creme brulee for me (Cags I'm looking at you!! )
                  Very sorry I won't get the chance to see you.

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                  *dying of jealousy*

So glad you had such an awesome time, Sarai! I would love to go to the Caribbean - one day!

The water levels have stabilised here today but they're expecting them to rise further later in the week. It's just been absolutely relentless this year, and at the moment is much worse further down the river - East Berkshire is really drowning at the moment
                  Hoping for a dry spell for you.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                  Woohoo!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I've been very emotional today. So when my sister sent me this...

Spoiler:

sigpic

----------
                    FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

well, I bit the bullet today. The part came in for my laptop, they installed it, and it STILL has issues...I could spend another $400 to have it repaired (looks like it's the motherboard), or just buy a new laptop (with the credits they'll give me for the work they've done that hasn't helped) it's going to be about $400 for a new one. So, I should have it in another couple of days - they're going to transfer everything off of the old one. And the new one has a terabyte hard drive built in Bit smaller of a screen, but still with the 10-key pad built in.l
                      sigpic

Comment

Hooray for Nola! I pretty much had to make the same decision a few months ago. Unfortunately it was the hard drive in my case and we lost everything that was on it. This new laptop is not the same, but it is a fully functional computer and that is all that matters right now and our new external drive came last week I will not have that happen again!
                        sigpic

----------
                        FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Gah! Just got my internet back - it's been off since Monday evening Had nobody to talk to *sniff*

DK, be careful what you wish for - thought I was starting back at work today but was informed (but text at 4am this morning ) that I'm not required to work the notice period and won't even get the chance to say goodbye to the children Poor kids have been shunted backwards and forwards the last few years and were really well settled with me. Sometimes I do wonder what some parents are thinking of

On the upside, it does give me more time to get properly over the surgery and concentrate on myself for a change

Comment

Silver linings Jumble. But agree with you on the children thing. I'm glad my work contract got extended to June; Benjabubs really loves after care and it would be a shame to have pulled him out when we're settled into a routine. At least this way it's likely (if it gets extended again, which I hope it will) he'll be settled for the whole school year.
                            I guess it's an outcome you expected though, but still unhelpful.

IDK, what a lovely sister you have. Pity you couldn't go.

Nola, yay on the new laptop. Well, not yay but yay that you won't have to deal with a faulty one anymore.

I'm sitting here feeling very fortunate. If not for a quirk of geography, the Thames would run straight and I'd be on it's banks and in a flooded area. As it happens, it takes a dip to the South a few miles around this area, so there's a crescent of areas in a flood zone or flooded all around me to the South and West. It's causing traffic chaos though, and quite a few of my friends and family are affected either at home or work. Yet more rain and winds due today. Give it a rest, weather!
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes, it's at times like these that I'm glad I live at the top of a hill

I'm still in two minds what to do about my laptop - can't really justify spending £450 on it atm, but on the other hand I'm going to be using it a lot more if I'm not working It really is driving me nuts though, having to use the keyboard with the lid half up (so I can see the secondary screen) and needing a sidelight on so that I can actually see the keys...... conundrum

Comment

Sarai - sorry I won't get a chance to see you this year but your trip sounded fantastic.

Nola - computers can really be awnry can't they, but I think once you start having all those problems, you just have more and more. (I spent 25+) years working with them in IT so know what I'm saying.

ADVISE TO ALL - (including me! ) - back up your hard drives on an external device! If not - those gremlins will get you when you need it the most.

Cags - just be greatful for that quirk in geography! From what I've seen on the news, you don't want to deal in floods! (or fire, or hurricanes, or cyclones, or earthquakes or anything!)

Jumble - sorry you won't get a chance to say goodbye. I'm sure the kids will miss you. But you do need that time to heal up. You have a very special event coming soon (and no I'm not referring to AT7) and you need to be at your best!

Well I picked up my English money last night (after they lost it and took about 45 minutes to find! But now I have it and all that is left is to pack - ah after I wash the clothes that is! See you next week!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X