The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
    I did that when Atlantis came out. I did not watch it because I knew that It'd be too odd for me after having been so hooked on SG-1. It's a thing I have. I do no take spin-offs very well at first... Now I can watch SGA ok, but that has a lot to do with season four, the only season of Atlantis I have actually bought for some blonde long haired reason...
    Do I get 3 tries to guess what that reason was?

I didn't like Atlantis as much as SG1 but still I found the general concept interesting even before I saw it. Universe just doesn't have that initial draw for me to get me started.
    sigpic

Comment

I did that when Atlantis came out. I did not watch it because I knew that It'd be too odd for me after having been so hooked on SG-1. It's a thing I have. I do not take spin-offs very well at first... Now I can watch SGA, but that has a lot to do with season four, the only season of Atlantis I have actually bought for some blonde long haired reason...
      Funny. S4 of SGA is the only season I repeat watched. My friend brought me S2, and I've watched it once. I just prefer Sam in S4 to any other city commander they had.

I think spin-offs are weird. Not many are even as good as the first, let alone better. They can be a bit iffy.
      sigpic
      Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
        Do I get 3 tries to guess what that reason was?

I didn't like Atlantis as much as SG1 but still I found the general concept interesting even before I saw it. Universe just doesn't have that initial draw for me to get me started.
        I'll give you 4, because it's so difficult to guess

Hmhm, yeah. I get that. I felt the same.
        I really wanted TPTB to prove me wrong, though
        Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
        Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Oh, I like Universe. When I read Joe's blog about SG-1 and SGU not really dealing with consequences I had to totally agree. I wished a millions times that they had dealt with Jack's post-Abyss problems. Instead, there he was the next week, fit as a fiddle. Universe is the type of show that would deal with that and maybe we would see a darker side of Jack that made us uncomfortable (but we would still love him, of course!). I think the think with Universe is that we're kind of pushed into the deep end of the pool, you know? With SG-1, we had years of the writers adding layer upon layer to the characters, helping them evolve. With SGU, the layers are already there and TPTB are throwing them all at us at once...we've kind of been dropped into the middle of the characters' lives and it's up to us to figure out what's going on, with little help for TPTB. I like it! People I've talked to who haven't been following SG for a decade--who just found it a few years ago--LOVE SGU. They didn't have the years of getting used to "The SG way" of doing things before SGU turned it all on its ear.

Er...

Did that make any sense?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
            Funny. S4 of SGA is the only season I repeat watched. My friend brought me S2, and I've watched it once. I just prefer Sam in S4 to any other city commander they had.

I think spin-offs are weird. Not many are even as good as the first, let alone better. They can be a bit iffy.
            *nods*
            And it's all about The Hair, really

And I agree. There are only a few spin offs I liked from the beginning, some because I hated the original show.
            Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic

Comment

I'll give you 4, because it's so difficult to guess

Hmhm, yeah. I get that. I felt the same.
              I really wanted TPTB to prove me wrong, though
              oh oh oh *starts thinking about who it could be*

sigpic

Comment

I like Universe too, more than Atlantis actually It is different, but perhaps because of that I'm not judging it by comparison with SG1. It's intriguing me and capturing my attention, and I can't really ask any more of it at the moment than that!

With spin-offs in general, I never have the same affection for them as I do for the original show. I always enjoy them, and love getting more from the same 'universe', but my love for the original is never surpassed. It's how I feel about SGA and SGU versus SG1, and is exactly the same as how I felt about Angel as opposed to Buffy, or Torchwood as opposed to Doctor Who
                sigpic
                Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

*nods*
                  And it's all about The Hair, really

And I agree. There are only a few spin offs I liked from the beginning, some because I hated the original show.
                  Yessss. I do love her hair in SGA

I love her long blond hair, full stop.
                  sigpic
                  Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post
                    Oh, I like Universe. When I read Joe's blog about SG-1 and SGU not really dealing with consequences I had to totally agree. I wished a millions times that they had dealt with Jack's post-Abyss problems. Instead, there he was the next week, fit as a fiddle. Universe is the type of show that would deal with that and maybe we would see a darker side of Jack that made us uncomfortable (but we would still love him, of course!). I think the think with Universe is that we're kind of pushed into the deep end of the pool, you know? With SG-1, we had years of the writers adding layer upon layer to the characters, helping them evolve. With SGU, the layers are already there and TPTB are throwing them all at us at once...we've kind of been dropped into the middle of the characters' lives and it's up to us to figure out what's going on, with little help for TPTB. I like it! People I've talked to who haven't been following SG for a decade--who just found it a few years ago--LOVE SGU. They didn't have the years of getting used to "The SG way" of doing things before SGU turned it all on its ear.

Er...

Did that make any sense?
                    Yes.

I think that that's one of the main reasons why people (including me, I guess) don't like SGU. They are attached to the Stargate Way. Because it's part of the franchise, the comparing is a natural thing to do. But it's different in so many ways... It's SG, but not quite. The cast is a little too big to have to get used to at once, there's ickybah and it smells different.
                    It has to be your cup of tea, I think...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post

Er...

Did that make any sense?
                      It did make sense. Just goes to show we all have different taste when it comes to TV
                      sigpic
                      Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                        oh oh oh *starts thinking about who it could be*

*sighs* You'll fail...

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                        With spin-offs in general, I never have the same affection for them as I do for the original show. I always enjoy them, and love getting more from the same 'universe', but my love for the original is never surpassed. It's how I feel about SGA and SGU versus SG1, and is exactly the same as how I felt about Angel as opposed to Buffy, or Torchwood as opposed to Doctor Who
                        What I like in spin offs are the cross-overs. But only if they work, like in say CSI, where it makes sense (in a TV show kind of way ). But with a show I hate and a spin off I love (or vice versa) it's a let down.

What I'm saying is that as long as the 'universe' is good and solid it's fun to see a continuation.
                        I think that SG's PTB have done a great job building a world in which things are different while creating a familiar feel. Even if one spin off is worse than another

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                        Yessss. I do love her hair in SGA

I love her long blond hair, full stop.
                        *hairsquees*
                        I love her hair long too. Blonde or brown. Just love it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                          I like Universe too, more than Atlantis actually It is different, but perhaps because of that I'm not judging it by comparison with SG1. It's intriguing me and capturing my attention, and I can't really ask any more of it at the moment than that!

I think that's the mistake a lot of SG1 fans are making. It was from the very beginning meant to be different, and I'm watching it from that point of view.

I missed out on SGA for years because I expected the 'spin-off' to fail by comparison, and yet when I eventually started watching it as a separate show I loved it for it's own sake. Until they brought Sam in, which I really didn't like

And I have to say, (with no disrespect to anyone here because we're all entitled to our own opinions) that I get really ticked off with people who only watch the eps that Jack and/or Sam are in, and then disparage the rest of the show. You can't judge a show by watching the odd ep here and there, especially if you're only interested in two of the, let's face it, peripheral characters.

Sorry, it's the weekend, and I really hate the weekends

Comment

*sighs* You'll fail...

What I like in spin offs are the cross-overs. But only if they work, like in say CSI, where it makes sense (in a TV show kind of way ). But with a show I hate and a spin off I love (or vice versa) it's a let down.

What I'm saying is that as long as the 'universe' is good and solid it's fun to see a continuation.
                            I think that SG's PTB have done a great job building a world in which things are different while creating a familiar feel. Even if one spin off is worse than another

*hairsquees*
                            See, that's what I hate! Why do we have to have Jack and Sam in SGU? Why did we have to have them in SGA? For me it serves no purpose. I just about see why Jack and Daniel were in Rising, for continuity, but after that let the new show stand or fall on it's own I say.

Comment

I loved SGA, completely adored it...until....well we won't get into that

Yes.

I think that that's one of the main reasons why people (including me, I guess) don't like SGU. They are attached to the Stargate Way. Because it's part of the franchise, the comparing is a natural thing to do. But it's different in so many ways... It's SG, but not quite. The cast is a little too big to have to get used to at once, there's ickybah and it smells different.
                              It has to be your cup of tea, I think...
                              It just doesn't feel stargatey and yet I'm one of those people that will still watch the darn thing because it has the 'stargate' name Let's face it almost nothing is going to compare to the fandom of Stargate, I love everything about it. And I just so want to like it...and it's just not doing anything at all for me right now. I have enough drama in my own life I just want a tv show that's more into the scifi aspect.

I think the one thing that really sucks is that people before were saying about it being 'Stargate: BSG' or 'Stargate: 90210'...and they're almost getting proved right

Thank god for Sanctuary!

*sighs* You'll fail...

*hairsquees*
                              *hairsquees along with you* Me too!!!

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                              Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                              Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                                See, that's what I hate! Why do we have to have Jack and Sam in SGU? Why did we have to have them in SGA? For me it serves no purpose. I just about see why Jack and Daniel were in Rising, for continuity, but after that let the new show stand or fall on it's own I say.
                                That's simple. Ratings. To poke people (like myself) who aren't really interested into watching.

Atlantis was origianly intended as a stand alone show. But the lines between it and SG1 over time got blurred, and later they were completely erased. I'm afraid I see SGU going the same way.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X