The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jumble View Post
    See, that's what I hate! Why do we have to have Jack and Sam in SGU? Why did we have to have them in SGA? For me it serves no purpose. I just about see why Jack and Daniel were in Rising, for continuity, but after that let the new show stand or fall on it's own I say.
    Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Well I think you...

Seriously, though.
    I do see why they pulled Sam and Jack (or anyone else) in. It's good for the ratings! I have to admit that I was really waiting to see Sam in SGA (because it was a whole season) and evenhough it was a bit meh, I do think that Sam and Jack in SGU made it certain that SGU, being the odd one out, belonged in the Stargate World. It should be able to stand on it's own feet, but the appearances might pull in more potential viewers and give the fans a feeling of coming home in a new neighbourhood.
    Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
    Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
      I loved SGA, completely adored it...until....well we won't get into that

It just doesn't feel stargatey and yet I'm one of those people that will still watch the darn thing because it has the 'stargate' name Let's face it almost nothing is going to compare to the fandom of Stargate, I love everything about it. And I just so want to like it...and it's just not doing anything at all for me right now. I have enough drama in my own life I just want a tv show that's more into the scifi aspect.

I think the one thing that really sucks is that people before were saying about it being 'Stargate: BSG' or 'Stargate: 90210'...and they're almost getting proved right

Thank god for Sanctuary!

*hairsquees along with you* Me too!!!
      I thought that comparing SGU was really unfair, especially before the show even aired. And face it, nothing is more rude than to compare SG to the new 90210...

But I think that the concept of human relationships in SGU is very interesting for the ''new wave sci fi viewer', you know, the casual viewer who isn't hugely into sci fi, but who is ready for something else than CSI or Greys Anatomy? Not that I'm ignoring true sci fi fans, not at all, but I think this SGU is trying to find a balance somewhere. I'm not sure I like it myself, but there's some mixing between sci fi and drama going on.
      Really. Seen those holographic thingies in CSI and Bones?
      Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic

Comment

Wow, I'm surprised that nobody's been in here for a while. I don't have much myself, but I think I'll be back with some other surprises. Just wanted to share my next song with you. (I'm starting up a 'PTB collection' ) It's an Andrew Lloyd Webber classic...that I never really heard before I got the CD, because I've never seen Cats The song itself can be found here. Enjoy and sing along!

Rob Cooper is a writer bold with words beyond compare
        He wrote of Tantalus's pain, of Sam's adopted heir
        (The Torment of Tantalus and Singularity, respectively.)
        His Origin was humble, on Toronto's chilly shore
        And now the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for

It's Robert C., it's Robert C., there's no one like our Robert C.
        From one to ten and back again, he gives his all eternally
        He moved from east to west one day, new places to explore
        If you give to him a challenge he'll accept it all the more
        And so the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for

Rob Cooper is a writer bold, his ideas firm and true
        He is eager to record his thoughts in any interview
        He has a quiet smile and his gaze is quite serene
        A baseball cap he wears each day, his hobby is cuisine
        (Cooking it, that is...)
        In younger days, so scared by Jaws, he wondered what to do
        He came to one conclusion--he should make a movie too!

Within the shadowed writers' room, he makes his point so carefully
        He may visit all the sets and comment on their fine decor
        And thus the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for

In days of blue Atlantis, he made crystals and strange Wraith kings
        (Doppelganger and Sateda, respectively.)
        And The Ark of Truth will tell you that new intelligence he brings
        For when you glimpse an episode with myriad Ori priors
        And the GateWorld forum's all abuzz with whispers on the wires
        If the Zero Hour throws the base right into an uproar
        It's 'cause the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for

If he needs help from crutches, he will still be there to oversee
        (And look adorable...)
        The master of the epic tale, of subtle metaphor
        Because the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for

And they say that after several years Brad Wright began anew
        (For he saw that a reward for loyal work was overdue)
        And he formed up a new company with just one special man
        So from that day forward Brad and Rob did what nobody can

When novelty comes knocking, he will always lead the cavalry
        He's the Coopie that we talk about, the one we all adore
        Because the best of Stargate is what Robert C., our Robert C., our Robert C., our Robert C....
        Because the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for!
        sigpic
        ~the guitarists~

Comment

I'm having to get up at a ridiculous hour on a Sunday for work. 6AM is never my strong point... never.

That said, I gotta hair!squee

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post

*hairsquees*
          I love her hair long too. Blonde or brown. Just love it.
          *squeeee!*
          I'm so glad I'm not alone!!!

Originally posted by Teal'c_PI View Post
          Wow, I'm surprised that nobody's been in here for a while. I don't have much myself, but I think I'll be back with some other surprises. Just wanted to share my next song with you. (I'm starting up a 'PTB collection' ) It's an Andrew Lloyd Webber classic...that I never really heard before I got the CD, because I've never seen Cats The song itself can be found here. Enjoy and sing along!

Rob Cooper is a writer bold with words beyond compare
          He wrote of Tantalus's pain, of Sam's adopted heir
          (The Torment of Tantalus and Singularity, respectively.)
          His Origin was humble, on Toronto's chilly shore

From one to ten and back again, he gives his all eternally
          He moved from east to west one day, new places to explore
          If you give to him a challenge he'll accept it all the more
          And so the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for

Rob Cooper is a writer bold, his ideas firm and true
          He is eager to record his thoughts in any interview
          He has a quiet smile and his gaze is quite serene
          A baseball cap he wears each day, his hobby is cuisine
          (Cooking it, that is...)
          In younger days, so scared by Jaws, he wondered what to do
          He came to one conclusion--he should make a movie too!

Within the shadowed writers' room, he makes his point so carefully
          He may visit all the sets and comment on their fine decor
          And thus the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for

In days of blue Atlantis, he made crystals and strange Wraith kings
          (Doppelganger and Sateda, respectively.)
          And The Ark of Truth will tell you that new intelligence he brings
          For when you glimpse an episode with myriad Ori priors
          And the GateWorld forum's all abuzz with whispers on the wires
          If the Zero Hour throws the base right into an uproar
          It's 'cause the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for

If he needs help from crutches, he will still be there to oversee
          (And look adorable...)
          The master of the epic tale, of subtle metaphor
          Because the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for

And they say that after several years Brad Wright began anew
          (For he saw that a reward for loyal work was overdue)
          And he formed up a new company with just one special man
          So from that day forward Brad and Rob did what nobody can

When novelty comes knocking, he will always lead the cavalry
          He's the Coopie that we talk about, the one we all adore
          Because the best of Stargate is what Robert C., our Robert C., our Robert C., our Robert C....
          Because the best of Stargate is what Robert C. is for!
          Teal'c_PI I love it!!
          sigpic
          Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c_PI View Post
            GW was being stoohoopid.
            sigpic

Comment

ROFL!!!! Oh, Joe, you brilliant, wonderful, hilarious man!

charles zuri writes: “If you was not making stargate where would you be or what would you be doing?”

Answer: I’d probably be a secret agent. Or a chef. Or a chef who was really a secret agent.
              I feel some artwork coming on...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post

LJ I think artwork is the only thing to be done with a gift of a quote like that!
                sigpic
                Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post

Oh yeah, he was in great form last night

I liked these

SGU
                  Spoiler:
                  Gilder writes: “BTW, will we see a male/female swap at some point?”

Answer: We’re keeping it sex-specific. That said, I wanted to do a story where one of our crew switches with a German Shepherd who ends up helping a detective solve crimes. Meanwhile, back on Destiny, Eli lies around and begs for food.

J writes: “Speaking of relationships, I understand that the likelyhood of this is low, but if Teyla and John ever are together, then it couldn’t happen instantly.”

Answer: Nope. Both Teyla and John would have to observe a suitable period of mourning for Kanaan. After John offs him.

Yes, I did wake up in a better mood this morning

Comment

So glad to hear it (((((Jumble)))))
                    sigpic
                    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Morning Woohoos.

Oooh loads of fab discussions that I could not get on line to view last night because GW had that Friday feeling.

Firstly TPI... That's great! We need someone to set that to music.

And on the SGU / spin off discussions... I had about 50 MQs but meh, easier to just do it this way.

I am in the liking SGU camp very much. Ok I don't like some of the characters but that's becase I think I'm not supposed to like them or think them perfect. I do love the way TPTB have been bold enough to do that and I am watching in hope that, emotionally, there's a pay off for investing my time - i.e. that I will grow to care about what these characters do in future.
                      If I have one complaint - ok two because I just thought of another one - the first being the way it seems to recap what's happened so far at the start of every episode. At this rate, the last episode will be cleverly called "clipshow" or something. And that brings me on to my second complaint - well not complaint but nit.The way each episode seems to be named by what it's about; at this rate we're going to get episodes titled Laundry, Clothing and Toilet Paper and... heaven help us once all the women on board start doign the wiggy thing where they synch their menstrual cycles.
                      Hmm, maybe I should ask Joe a question about toilets on the Destiny?

I don't mind characters crossing over from one series to another if it's relevant or as a launch platform. With SG-1 and SGA I think it was fairly relevant given the premise of SGA and, in fact once they'd re-established regular contact with Earth, it probably should have happened more, although I think they used the wrong characters (i.e. it probably should have been Daniel and Sam who spent time there, not Jack). However I do sort of agree with Jumble that having guest actors from the other series just for the sake of it is a bit unnecessary. Jack's appearances in SGA's season 3 seemed just there for the sake of using up RDA's agreed appearances - when the would have been far better suited to being used in SG-1 but that's another story! Not that I am coomplaining because I happened to like those episodes, in particular The Return two parter but, yes, it could have been anyone left there with Woolsey and it would have worked as well.

Sam in SGA - I am with Jumble again. I don't know whether it was her availability, the way it was written or what but she just felt uncomfortable there to me. The only episodes I really liked her in were Quarantine and Trio and then she felt a bit like the old Sam we know and love.

I'm wasn't a fan on Sam's long hair at first. I love AT with long hair - blonde or dark - but somehow Sam seems... more Samlike with short sassy hair. It has grown on me though and, you know it's only hair. OK, it's loevly, gorgeous beautiful hair that makes me very envious because mine's a mess at the moment but it's just hair.

But you know, they're all just my opinions and TPTB are still awesome.

and Joe's blog. Snark; what's not to love.

Umm, who is organising the Secret Santa again? I need to PM you?

And... when was the last time we had picspam?
                      sigpic

Comment

at TPI for that song!

*hugs jumble for weekends*

Didn't GW go down another time when the WooHoos tried to do an actual discussion? Think it's the universe's (hehe, word joke!) way of telling us to shut up and run nekkid?

sigpic

Comment

First of all TPI amazing song!

Secondly: SGU/spin-offs. So far I'm not liking SGU that much...why? I miss the sci-fi aspect of it...I have no problems with relationships and dealing with aftermaths in a show, but in here, for me, it's going a bit too far that it makes me miss the sci-fi aspect of it. I am watching enough other shows that deal with the drama etc. of relationships..atm for me it's one of the many drama shows out there...I'm not having a "I want to watch this" feeling with it yet.
                          I know PTB wanted it differently and I knew it was going to happen, but in a weird way I expected something else. I think. It's also like someone else also said, compared to SGA this idea/setting doesn't really attract me from the start. I've already seen people stranded on a starship(BSG/ST: Voyager). I must admit that ST:Voyager was really different compared to this so I can't compare those two...but I am getting an BSG feeling with it...and as my dad said(with whom I watch SGA and BSG) BSG is good and it has its moments that it is better than SGA, but on the overall it has too many weak points compared to SGA to make it an good show on average. I am feeling the same thing with SGU. As much as I don't want to compare it, I do.

SGA was IMHO a good spin-off. I watched it from the beginning and I was hooked(could have something to do with one certain character though ). I really liked it and it was awesome. As for S4 with Sam; it was one of the best seasons IMHO, but that wasn't because of Sam, she was just a new leader...and I didn't have the same connection with her in SGA as in SG1. It was like the same name/person had been used, but character changed. I missed her being scientific. but she was awesome for the S/S ship though.
                          This brings me to cross-overs: Not nessesary. They're fun, but in SGA it never really felt nessesary to have Jack or Sam there. People that worked on SG command and where there during those times ok...but dragging them specially to Atlantis, not nessesary. I must admit though that I loved seeing my favorite characters, but it wasn't nessesary for me to keep watching the show! On the other hand I loved the S10 episode Pegasus Project, in there it felt right.

Now I think I've babbled enough tho...

*hops out*
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                            So glad to hear it (((((Jumble)))))
                            *hugs back* Thanks

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

I don't mind characters crossing over from one series to another if it's relevant or as a launch platform. With SG-1 and SGA I think it was fairly relevant given the premise of SGA and, in fact once they'd re-established regular contact with Earth, it probably should have happened more, although I think they used the wrong characters (i.e. it probably should have been Daniel and Sam who spent time there, not Jack). However I do sort of agree with Jumble that having guest actors from the other series just for the sake of it is a bit unnecessary. Jack's appearances in SGA's season 3 seemed just there for the sake of using up RDA's agreed appearances - when the would have been far better suited to being used in SG-1 but that's another story! Not that I am coomplaining because I happened to like those episodes, in particular The Return two parter but, yes, it could have been anyone left there with Woolsey and it would have worked as well.
                            Yep, that's how I felt. But I wasn't keen on The Real World. It just didn't feel right to me.

Sam in SGA - I am with Jumble again. I don't know whether it was her availability, the way it was written or what but she just felt uncomfortable there to me. The only episodes I really liked her in were Quarantine and Trio and then she felt a bit like the old Sam we know and love.
                            Yep, with you there again. Under-used, badly used, just plain didn't fit for me

But you know, they're all just my opinions and TPTB are still awesome.

and Joe's blog. Snark; what's not to love.

Umm, who is organising the Secret Santa again? I need to PM you?

And... when was the last time we had picspam?
                            That wood be Josiane Just pm her.

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
                            at TPI for that song!

*hugs jumble for weekends*

Didn't GW go down another time when the WooHoos tried to do an actual discussion? Think it's the universe's (hehe, word joke!) way of telling us to shut up and run nekkid?
                            It does seem to do that Must be a shock to the system when the WooHoos go all serious on them

*hugs Nad*

Quoting Jann
                            As for S4 with Sam; it was one of the best seasons IMHO, but that wasn't because of Sam, she was just a new leader...and I didn't have the same connection with her in SGA as in SG1. It was like the same name/person had been used, but character changed. I missed her being scientific.
                            Agreed again

It's nice to know I'm not the only one

Cags, picspam? You're right, it's been faaaaaar too long

I'll be back in a tick to rectify that

Comment

There, that's better

Comment

Note to WooHoos: GW likes us silly.

And wow, jumble, you had me worried there! I mean... Coopie, Joe, Damian, Brad... And then I saw six Martin pics. That made me sigh with relief.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X