The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to do this in PS?
    Blending with PS you mean?

I know that! Woohoo I can finally do something useful in here...well...erm

the link is on the first page of the thread...I've posted somewhere how to do it...it's with the lasso tool and you have to make the feather 5/10 then...but a more clearly discription is given in my other post

Oh and I love all the gimp stuff y'all are making...fantastic!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover1990 View Post
      Blending with PS you mean?

I know that! Woohoo I can finally do something useful in here...well...erm

the link is on the first page of the thread...I've posted somewhere how to do it...it's with the lasso tool and you have to make the feather 5/10 then...but a more clearly discription is given in my other post

Oh and I love all the gimp stuff y'all are making...fantastic!!!
      It works but i need practice

Thanks Jann
      sigpic

Comment

Ok, I have another question for the Gimp Gurus. Using the brushes, how do you colour them? Mine all come out black and white, and I need them coloured *whine* sorry

Comment

This one's nice and easy Just go to Colours-Colourise. Play around with the sliders until you get the colour you want.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oma-1 View Post
            This one's nice and easy Just go to Colours-Colourise. Play around with the sliders until you get the colour you want.
            Thanks again Oma I'll give it a try tomorrow, think I'm gonna head off for an early night, all that cheering for JJ has made me tired
            And I keep getting the urge to make horsey sigs, but can't quite see how I can work that in with S/J

Comment

Okay, ladies...I just downloaded Gimp2 and I am so flippin lost...I like easy things...and this is not easy! I thought it would be fun, but I have no idea where to start!

Comment

It's a real toughie to begin with But here's a link to the really easy stuff like resizing, cropping, rotating.

Once you can do that stuff, it makes life much easier and you're well on your way to making sigs
                sigpic

Comment

It's a real toughie to begin with But here's a link to the really easy stuff like resizing, cropping, rotating.

Once you can do that stuff, it makes life much easier and you're well on your way to making sigs
                  Yeah, it's a bit confusing at first because it's really not very intuitive. But start with the easy stuff like Oma says because at least then you'll get a feel for how Gimp works. And then ask Gimp Gurus like Oma for help with the stuff you can't figure out! That's what I did, and I've gone from almost complete novice to actually making some things that don't suck in about a week I've spent a lot of time undoing things, but on the upside when you do something and have to undo it at least you've learnt another new thing, even if it wasn't quite what you intended that time! And then come post what you've done here and we can cheer you on
                  sigpic
                  Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                    Yeah, it's a bit confusing at first because it's really not very intuitive. But start with the easy stuff like Oma says because at least then you'll get a feel for how Gimp works. And then ask Gimp Gurus like Oma for help with the stuff you can't figure out! That's what I did, and I've gone from almost complete novice to actually making some things that don't suck in about a week I've spent a lot of time undoing things, but on the upside when you do something and have to undo it at least you've learnt another new thing, even if it wasn't quite what you intended that time! And then come post what you've done here and we can cheer you on

Thanks for the info and the tips! I just want to know how to do the cool things now as well...and the tutorial doesn't say anything about that...Oh, and I have another question, I went to the link, downloaded some of those brushes and unzipped them. I know I can click on them and they will open like a picture, but how do I make them into a brush like my others?

Comment

They look wonderful! Well done! I'd say you had a great gimpage day today

Anyone know how to use the gradient button? I want to put a colour gradient on a background but I can't figure out how to.....wait......just thought of something......d'oh! How stupid! It's a click and drag Never mind.

*slinks back to corner*
                      Can someone remind me of where the gradient tool is in Gimp? I found it one day by accident, and now I can't locate it.

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
                      Thanks for the info and the tips! I just want to know how to do the cool things now as well...and the tutorial doesn't say anything about that...Oh, and I have another question, I went to the link, downloaded some of those brushes and unzipped them. I know I can click on them and they will open like a picture, but how do I make them into a brush like my others?
                      linky I'm planning to do this later this week myself.

I was looking at some of my old art and I realized that I actually had blending down pretty well back then. I can never get the lasso or intelligent select tools to work for me (though I'm willing to try again), so I would use erase. I'd use broad strokes to erase most of what I didn't want, and then I'd blow the picture up realllllllllllly big and go in close for the fine work. It was a little more time-consuming, but it yielded some nice results.

Okay, this is my "I've been up way too long" post, so I'm going to bed. No gimping from me tonight.

Oh! I meant to ask... I used to have a favorite font, but I've switched computers and I can't find it now. It was called... Lainydays or something like that. It was a really pretty brush script. If anyone is at all familiar with this font and can give me a link to download it, I would be forever in your debt.

eta!!! I found it, I found it!!! Lainie Day
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok...I've subscribed to this thread! Thanks for creating it, Eve! I was thinking of doing the same thing, but you got around to it first. Good for you!!!

I hope to share a little and learn a lot here!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
                          There's more than one way to do this. I find it easiest to drag them into the Gimp brushes folder

Open as follows: my computer>C>program files>GIMP-2.0>share>gimp>2.0>brushes. Then open new ones as bolded ^ , select them all and drag them into the gimp brushes file.

That's the long winded version, I know, but I've found some of them just won't work if I unzip them straight to the gimp brushes folder

When you open Gimp, select brushes and look for the new ones. If they are not there, click the refresh button bottom right of the brushes window, and hopefully they will then appear.

Edit: I'm sure someone will come in now and explain it in one line, Lol!
                          Last edited by Jumble; 27 April 2008, 03:33 AM.

Comment

okay finally made something with PS again while you were all busy with it...I was just looking around...and watching episodes he he

here it is...first one was a request other one came outta my episode watching(tangent)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover1990 View Post
                              okay finally made something with PS again while you were all busy with it...I was just looking around...and watching episodes he he

here it is...first one was a request other one came outta my episode watching(tangent)

Ugh! Brilliant as ever, Jann showing us all up (well, me anyway ) I love Tangent, it's one of my absolute faves, soooo much Jack And the cute bit with Sam when she comes to save him......hmmm.....might be watching that later. Not what I should be doing though. Should be trying all the new stuff in Gimp, and utilizing all the brilliant advice on here. Jumbleramblejumbleramble........
                              *tries to stop staring at Jack's smile in Jann's sig* *fails* *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Chocolatequeen View Post
                                Can someone remind me of where the gradient tool is in Gimp? I found it one day by accident, and now I can't locate it.
                                It's the one next to the bucket in the toolbox. It's called Blend Tool, but it doesn't actually blend - it applies gradient colour. Ummm, I'm assuming that's the one you're asking about

linky I'm planning to do this later this week myself.

I was looking at some of my old art and I realized that I actually had blending down pretty well back then. I can never get the lasso or intelligent select tools to work for me (though I'm willing to try again), so I would use erase. I'd use broad strokes to erase most of what I didn't want, and then I'd blow the picture up realllllllllllly big and go in close for the fine work. It was a little more time-consuming, but it yielded some nice results.
                                The lasso tool is easy. Just drag the cursor around the area you want to select. To get the edges blending, just double click and it'll bring up the tool options box. Click on the radius box, and set it to the number you want. Around 10 just gives you a straightforward cutout (but smooths the jagged edges of your cursor action ) , 20-30 gives a blended edge, 50 - 100 will give you a bigger blend area. Just make sure you set the radius before you start!

Okay, this is my "I've been up way too long" post, so I'm going to bed. No gimping from me tonight.

Oh! I meant to ask... I used to have a favorite font, but I've switched computers and I can't find it now. It was called... Lainydays or something like that. It was a really pretty brush script. If anyone is at all familiar with this font and can give me a link to download it, I would be forever in your debt.

eta!!! I found it, I found it!!! Lainie Day
                                Oooh, pretty - and a new font site for me to check out I only knew of dafont.com.

Originally posted by jumble65 View Post
                                There's more than one way to do this. I find it easiest to drag them into the Gimp brushes folder

Open as follows: my computer>C>program files>GIMP-2.0>share>gimp>2.0>brushes. Then open new ones as bolded ^ , select them all and drag them into the gimp brushes file.

That's the long winded version, I know, but I've found some of them just won't work if I unzip them straight to the gimp brushes folder

When you open Gimp, select brushes and look for the new ones. If they are not there, click the refresh button bottom right of the brushes window, and hopefully they will then appear.

Edit: I'm sure someon will come in now and explain it in one line, Lol!
                                CQ did it in one word! I think it was linky ^^ ROFL!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X