No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But if you were you and some stranger asked you to take your shirt off and actually expected you to do it, would you find it a compliment or rather demeaning?

They all know they're good looking, you don't get to act the hero in american TV if you're not gorgeous. I reckon that most people'd rather be taken seriously than ogled over. JMO.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
      But if you were you and some stranger asked you to take your shirt off and actually expected you to do it, would you find it a compliment or rather demeaning?

They all know they're good looking, you don't get to act the hero in american TV if you're not gorgeous. I reckon that most people'd rather be taken seriously than ogled over. JMO.
      A lot depends on who and where, I think. Again, if the actors were asked ahead of time, and agreed to it, that is one thing. To be put on the spot is a completely different situation. I think a good rule of thumb should always be, ask first.
      Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

actors have a right to say no and it shoudl be respected. Just like, i think i heard at dragon con, claudia said 'no pictures please' because she was 8 months pregnant and didn't want to be immortalized that way in a fan photo (or maybe it was no posed photos, i've just heard bits and pieces)

when amanda is at a con, her hubby and daughter often travel with her, but they are off limits. Alan will sit in the audience and you'll never know who he is unless you know who he is. if she walks through the lobby with olivia, it's just expected that fans keep their cameras put away and leave the family alone...that mom is 'off the clock' and off limits.

that's not meaning you cant' say hi or wave, but don't go up to her asking for autos or trying to sneak a photo.

You just need to respect their space
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Being a female, and completely not famous, I *have* had guys ask me to take my shirt off, and had no problem saying no, there was no, 'wow I feel obligated to do this'... I found it a bit of both(compliment and demeaning). And like I said, normal person, never been on tv....
          Most people do have respect for the actors. Most just get a little starstruck with ones that they've watched on tv for such a long time.
          I will say that as far as being people too, it's a lifestyle.
          I don't mean to make this sound bad in anyway, but when you chose to go on camera, you chose to put yourself out there to the fans. You know that when you're in a gym working out so that you can look good onscreen. And when you're rehearsing your lines so that you can put forth the best work possible.
          Completely agreed that AG's way was the best though. Check with the actors, before. Give them the same respect that you would expect if the roles were reversed.
          Last edited by ~Sarah~; 08 September 2007, 11:37 AM.
          sigpic
          awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

At SG-6, I got kissed on the head by Teryl Rothery, Frida Betrani and Sueanne Braun.

Hey, it's true what they say about bald men...
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Suanne Braun? I hate you. *hugs*

Comment

Yeah Mama got teased for yelling "NO" when Jay was asked to remove his shirt, he looked over at her and again she said "no"
                after that, all the male talent were pre warned that they would be asked
                and now for something really different...

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia View Post
                  Suanne Braun? I hate you. *hugs*
                  Well, if it's any consolation, I also got a smacker on the head from dear ol' Don S. Davis himself...
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

If you're attending a convention "in costume", make sure your outfit doesn't offend anyone or is disrespectful to anyone in any way.

There was a case at Wolf SG-10 a couple of years ago when two guys showed up wearing the uniforms of WWII era German army mountain troops. When asked to explain, they stated that they represented the characters played by Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood in the movie "Where Eagles Dare".

Now, you may well ask, what this has to do with a Stargate convention?

Well, one of the guests was due to be Michael Shanks - but unfortunately he had to cancel at the last moment due to filming a guest spot on CSI: Miami.

In "Where Eagles Dare", the commando unit led by Burton is codenamed Broadsword, while their home base is codenamed Danny Boy.

The two guys realised that not everyone would get the "joke" as it were, and after an apology went back to their rooms to change into something a bit more appropriate.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                      If you're attending a convention "in costume", make sure your outfit doesn't offend anyone or is disrespectful to anyone in any way.

There was a case at Wolf SG-10 a couple of years ago when two guys showed up wearing the uniforms of WWII era German army mountain troops. When asked to explain, they stated that they represented the characters played by Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood in the movie "Where Eagles Dare".

Now, you may well ask, what this has to do with a Stargate convention?

Well, one of the guests was due to be Michael Shanks - but unfortunately he had to cancel at the last moment due to filming a guest spot on CSI: Miami.

In "Where Eagles Dare", the commando unit led by Burton is codenamed Broadsword, while their home base is codenamed Danny Boy.

The two guys realised that not everyone would get the "joke" as it were, and after an apology went back to their rooms to change into something a bit more appropriate.
                      Wow! Now there was a serious stretch of logic. Too bad they didn't chat with a couple of other fans to get feedback before they did that. I think it's usually a good idea that, when in doubt, ask someone if your idea works or if you are completely out to lunch.
                      Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                        Wow! Now there was a serious stretch of logic. Too bad they didn't chat with a couple of other fans to get feedback before they did that. I think it's usually a good idea that, when in doubt, ask someone if your idea works or if you are completely out to lunch.
                        Yeah. I was sitting in an out of the way spot, chatting to a couple of random strangers (as one does at conventions), when this pair of "German officers" strode past. As I recall. there was a few moments deathly hush, followed by angry murmurings.

However, sometimes an off the wall costume works. At a Star Trek con about ten years or so ago, my buddy Jimmy showed up in a Han Solo shirt and vest, but wearing a kilt. He then proclaimed himself to be the only member of the "Clan Solo".
                        sigpic

Comment

*chuckle*
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                            *chuckle*
                            You chuckle at that? Oh never mind, you're probably giggling at the Clan Solo thing... which is funny....
                            For a second, I thought you were chuckling at the German officer thingy... and I was like 'WTF mate?!' But then I figured it out....

I do have to say that for Chicago just being my first, I didn't really see anything there besides the request for shirtless men(which I've already posted how I feel....) that was wrong... everyone beotches about the Creation Cons, but I thought it was pretty well run... course I did meet a bunch of really great people who made my trip just the best it could have been....
                            sigpic
                            awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Sci-Fi cons are just fun from beginning to end.

I'll be stewarding (along with other members of SG-999) at a small one day Dr. Who con in Glasgow later this month.

If you're in Glasgow on the 27th, keep your eyes open for half a dozen big bruisers in black fatigues with UNIT patches - that'll be us.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
                                You chuckle at that? Oh never mind, you're probably giggling at the Clan Solo thing... which is funny....
                                For a second, I thought you were chuckling at the German officer thingy... and I was like 'WTF mate?!' But then I figured it out....
                                Partly chuckling at the Clan Solo thing, partly because I've had enough dealings with Jimmy to imagine that stunt!
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X