Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion View Post
    Heh, well, if it's the con staff or volunteers who are acting like putzes, it's sometimes difficult to complain.

I think one of the worst volunteers I'd ever met was at a Creaton Con - security folk dressed as Klingons. They refused to speak English. You asked them a question - a simple question and they just glared at you. While volunteers are cheap, the con staff should screen out the idiots.
    Gah! Cosplay is NOT for work time!
    Being costumed is one thing, and can be fun, even to attendees, but cosplay on the job (roleplay to match the costume) is right out... Not to mention creepy "this is security? Who's gonna secure us from them???"
    and now for something really different...

Comment

Originally posted by Sa'Hut_IH' View Post
      Gah! Cosplay is NOT for work time!
      Being costumed is one thing, and can be fun, even to attendees, but cosplay on the job (roleplay to match the costume) is right out... Not to mention creepy "this is security? Who's gonna secure us from them???"
      Cosplay means getting too into character? Sorry, but don't do gaming of any sort. In my opinion, volunteer/staff should act like what they are: con staff. You're the paying customer and they should answer your questions, not intimidate you with weird outfits or attitudes. Should be clearly marked with all the same badges that stand out. And they should definitely all be briefed with at least a standard amount of answers. Nothing worse than a volunteer having to say 'I'll get back to you.' Cons are a business, they're there to make money. The trouble is that far too many fans do put up with what would be considered substandard in any other business, because it's the only game in town.

Comment

Cosplay means getting too into character? Sorry, but don't do gaming of any sort. In my opinion, volunteer/staff should act like what they are: con staff.
        Cosplay isnt gaming, its wearing costume to events and acting the role you are wearing. Volunteers should never act like they work for the event...they work WITH the event, they should be friendly, as helpful as possible, and remember that everyone is there to enjoy.

You're the paying customer and they should answer your questions, not intimidate you with weird outfits or attitudes. Should be clearly marked with all the same badges that stand out.
        I have worked security in Stargate Gear and Resident evil Gear Im weird tho, so Im usually entertaining everyone around. Every event I have done in gear we wear "Costumed Volunteer" badges

And they should definitely all be briefed with at least a standard amount of answers. Nothing worse than a volunteer having to say 'I'll get back to you.' Cons are a business, they're there to make money. The trouble is that far too many fans do put up with what would be considered substandard in any other business, because it's the only game in town.
        Most volunteers are briefed only on the position they will be working, given a schedule of events, along with a standard list of who the Attendees can go to for additional information.
        The reasons are simple, you wont always see the same volunteers working the same event twice, information can and does change (without advance notice) and some information is simply not the volunteers business.

I cant tell you how many times I have had to say "That is a *insert section of the con* question, you will find them *insert area of hotel*"

There are also some questions I have answered "I honestly cannot say" that means "Thats a question that you had no business asking"

Then there are the completely 'off' questions that make me blink a few times, school my features to show no emotion and say "I am a deckplate, I know abolutely nothing, I am here to be walked on while adding support to the structure"

Comment

when you get asked a question that you don't know the answer, like happened frequently to me at gatecon, my response usually was 'i don't know. That's a question for _____. and then either find that person or direct the questionee towards the registration desk to find said person that could answer thier question.

if i couldn't give them an answer, i could at least give them a next step

or sometimes 'mmhm, not sure how the auction is going THIS YEAR, but LAST YEAR it went that way', giving them some idea while still making it clear that i was just giving them my best guess
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sa'Hut_IH' View Post
            Cosplay isnt gaming, its wearing costume to events and acting the role you are wearing. Volunteers should never act like they work for the event...they work WITH the event, they should be friendly, as helpful as possible, and remember that everyone is there to enjoy.

I have worked security in Stargate Gear and Resident evil Gear Im weird tho, so Im usually entertaining everyone around. Every event I have done in gear we wear "Costumed Volunteer" badges

Most volunteers are briefed only on the position they will be working, given a schedule of events, along with a standard list of who the Attendees can go to for additional information.

The reasons are simple, you wont always see the same volunteers working the same event twice, information can and does change (without advance notice) and some information is simply not the volunteers business.

I cant tell you how many times I have had to say "That is a *insert section of the con* question, you will find them *insert area of hotel*"

There are also some questions I have answered "I honestly cannot say" that means "Thats a question that you had no business asking"

Then there are the completely 'off' questions that make me blink a few times, school my features to show no emotion and say "I am a deckplate, I know abolutely nothing, I am here to be walked on while adding support to the structure"
            Volunteers are working for the event in that they probably get a free membership or something. They are representing the convention, so yes, they should be friendly but also knowledgeable. What I was talking about is that they should know what goes on each day. The convention organizers should be hand out sheets, so the volunteers don't go 'uh' if you ask 'how late is a room open'. The thing is that Creation (they're guilty of this) are very lax in posting anything at the con. Most conventions I"ve been to have no problem in actually putting up schedules at the doors, including times, guests, etc. Creation could easily post a piece of paper, or at least if they're going to be late opening up something, state it. I was really surprised when at the NOvember con, I went down to the registration area and there was absolutely nothing there, that is, until they decided to turn up. I actually got more decent information out of some of the dealers than I did the con staff/volunteers.

So it's not so much the volunteer's fault for not having information as it is the actual convention organizers.

Comment

Which November Con?

Comment

Ask around, see what kind of rep SG-999 have with the guests.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

what is the policy on spoilers if i wanted to ask Micheal about how it was to well

season 10 spoiler FOR AN EPISODE THAT AIRS SOME TIME AFTER THE QUEST pt II
                  Spoiler:
                  how was it playing Daniel as a prior

could i ask it
                  Last edited by Madeleine; 11 January 2007, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeldria View Post
                    what is the policy on spoilers if i wanted to ask Micheal about how it was to well

season 10 spoiler FOR AN EPISODE THAT AIRS SOME TIME AFTER THE QUEST pt II
                    Spoiler:
                    how was it playing Daniel as a prior

could i ask it
                    If SciFi didn't have the extended mid-season break this year, then it would not be a spoiler for US fans, as the season would be close to wrapping up or wrapped up by march. However, some international fans may have seen the episode in question. In the end, you are free to ask what you want, but if your question reveals a major plot point in an upcoming season or episode that some fans haven't yet seen, they may feel a little upset at being spoiled. Keep that in mind when thinking about asking your question. When i was at Vancouver, most of the questions did not reveal any spoilers or plots, as the guests made no real mentions relating directly to an episode or season. However, John Smith (a producer) gave some tantalizing details about what could happen in an upcoming episode.
                    Last edited by Madeleine; 11 January 2007, 02:29 PM.

Comment

you could always phrase your question non-spoilery

'michael, in s10 we here that there's quite a change for daniel. that something quite shocking happens to him. how did you feel acting that change? how is the changed daniel different from the regular one? (or something like that)'

ask the question without specifically stating what the spoilers are

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        you could always phrase your question non-spoilery

'michael, in s10 we here that there's quite a change for daniel. that something quite shocking happens to him. how did you feel acting that change? how is the changed daniel different from the regular one? (or something like that)'

ask the question without specifically stating what the spoilers are
                        And his answer would have to be so vague it woudln't be worth asking the question. What they oughta do is leave the last five minutes for spoiler questions and tell those who don't want to hear to plug their ears I mean, heck, there will be UK fans at that con, undoubtedly, who will have seen the episodes before the US fans or Canadian fans....

Comment

I'm glad I found this thread because my first con will be Pegasus 3 in January 2008. I wanted to ask about taking photos in general.

1) Are people allowed to take photos during Q&A? With or without flash?
                          2) Is it normal that fans are photographed with actors also by the autographs session? Is it allowed to take photos of the actors while they're there?
                          3) Also, I wondered how is the photo session done. Is it with flash or without? Because I have a photosensitive epilepsy though i haven't experienced any seizures while having taken a photo of me, so I don't want to collapse in Joe Flanigan's (or anyone's for that matter) arms. How do I let the con people know or have they any rules for that?
                          4) The photos taken at the photo sessions are made right away or are sent once the con is over?

Thank you in advance!!

Comment

going by my general con knowledge although i've never been to this con

Originally posted by dana View Post
                            I'm glad I found this thread because my first con will be Pegasus 3 in January 2008. I wanted to ask about taking photos in general.

Usually with a flash for the first 5-10 minutes, then they are asked to turn off thier flash so that the actors can talk without flashbulbs going off

2) Is it normal that fans are photographed with actors also by the autographs session? Is it allowed to take photos of the actors while they're there?

this varies from con to con. usually photos IN the line are allowed - such as you can take a pic of joe signing your photo, but you cant' delay and disrupt the line having him pose for one. there should be rules in the con booklet you receive or on the website for the con. and i would suggest ask the actor's persmission before you take his/her photo. it's just polite

3) Also, I wondered how is the photo session done. Is it with flash or without?

every photo session i've been in / seen has it with a flash

Because I have a photosensitive epilepsy though i haven't experienced any seizures while having taken a photo of me, so I don't want to collapse in Joe Flanigan's (or anyone's for that matter) arms. How do I let the con people know or have they any rules for that?

Tell them of your issue just so that they can know what's going on if you collapse. they might even try to take it without the flash

4) The photos taken at the photo sessions are made right away or are sent once the con is over?

depends, but in this day and age of digital photos, they are NORMALLY avaliable the next day. which is why many cons have photo sessions on sat, autos on sunday, to give overnight to print out the photos so that the actors can sign them.

that being said, intent and reality sometimes don't agree and stuff happens.

every con is different and this would also be a question to ask the con itself. I would suggest e-mailing your questions to the con organizers and see if you can get some answers straight from the horse's mouth

Thank you in advance!!

sigpic

Comment

I went to Peg2 so I can answer some of those.

Yes, they can take them to the Q&A (but not the Meet and Greet). A lot of people were taking turns in going down the aisle to the front so they could get good pics, while others stayed in their seats, either holding their camera up or having a tripod. Fortunatley, most people were really good with taking photos. I don't recall hearing any complaints.
                              I didn't go the autograph session, although I can tell you that it was really busy and I think the stewards were trying to rush people through so everyone could get their autographs. So I'd double check if you're allowed, take your camera if you are, but don't be surprised if you don't get a chance. There are plenty of other chances to get pics anyways, at the parties.
                              3) Also, I wondered how is the photo session done. Is it with flash or without? Because I have a photosensitive epilepsy though i haven't experienced any seizures while having taken a photo of me, so I don't want to collapse in Joe Flanigan's (or anyone's for that matter) arms. How do I let the con people know or have they any rules for that?
                              I... can't remember, lol. It probably would have been with flash though.
                              You get them at the con. You're given a ticket on your way out and at the end of each day there's a table where you go and give your ticket in and collect your photo.

You'll probably get better anwers if you pop over to the Peg2 thread.

Comment

Based on my experience at P2:

Yes, people are allowed to take photos and most people use flash. I believe the information for the con says photos may be restricted to the first 5 or 10 minutes but in practice, at P2 at least, they never were and you could take photos throughout.

I don't remember seeing anyone taking photos in the autograph room - tbh, it was so chaotic and crowded in there that I don't think there was much opportunity! I would think maybe they wouldn't mind you taking photos whilst queuing but I would think it would certainly be frowned upon to ask the actors to e.g. pose for photos with you during the signing.. the autograph signing is crazy busy and they have a lot of people to get through... the guests are happy to chat a little etc but you really can't expect to monopolise their time. Also, at P2, guests like Ryan Robbins, Chuck Campbell, Dan Payne, Kate Hewlett etc were hanging out in the bar in the evenings and were usually quite happy to pose for photos with people.

Hang on.. you don't want to collapse in Joe Flanigan's arms?! Are you mad?! Seriously though, the official photo sessions are done with flash. However, Wolf cons in general are very accomodating of people with any kind of special requirements etc and the stewards will be more than happy to do what they can to help. I would suggest you contact Wolf nearer the time to inform them of your condition and they will let you know what they can do to help.

The official photos taken at P2 were usually available later that day, depending on when the photo session occured (the photos all get signed by the guest in the photo before being made available for collection. It was all fairly well organised and you are given a ticket on leaving the photo session and then you check the board to see when photos from each session are available for collection and you hand in your ticket and receive your photo.

Hope all that helps!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X