No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, thank goodness a neighbor felt sorry for me and came over and helped clear a path. i'm free! he was laughing when he came over. he said all he could see was a shovel full of snow flying and nobody there shoveling. well, the pile came over my head when i was sitting in my scooter so he couldn't see me. i hope starbucks is open, i'm having withdrawal symptoms already.
    why are you surprised that the chgo. office is closed? it's a mess there. there are over 100 cars stranded on lake shore drive(main route). we got about 20 inches of snow where i am(close to o'hare airport) downtown chgo. got about the same. fun times. a mess, but still better than the floods and earthquakes and mud slides in other places. i'm grateful for just snow.
    Last edited by lame moose (mocha); 02 February 2011, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Excellent news - AT5 is another sold out event. Not long to go now.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
        fun times. a mess, but still better than the floods and earthquakes and mud slides in other places. i'm grateful for just snow.
        The hilarious thing is that the whole time you guys have been talking about the weather, I was sitting here feeling grateful for the fact that we mostly just deal with minor flooding and a couple of mud slide in the winter... Lol. Just goes to show that "normal" is a relative term, I suppose.

My city screeches to a halt every time we get even a little snow, which makes sense when you realize it happens so rarely that we don't have the plows to deal with it and most of us can count on one hand the number of times we've had to drive in the snow in the past 5 years. Ice, now... THAT we get. All the roads turn into skating rinks for a day or two and chains will not help, so we all just hunker down and enjoy our brief unscheduled holiday before heading back to work. Except for me. Every year the city sends out the winter email reminding employees to check the appropriate places to find out if city offices are open and to report to work unless told not to... and then our bureau sends out *our* annual winter email that boils down to, "Wait! Stop! They don't mean you. We don't care if you see the four horsemen of the apocalypse, get yourselves to work and be on time, too."

Comment

Safe travels, everyone, I hope everyone gets to make it!

AT5 must be coming near, because when I asked the hubby whether he had gone to the ATM yet, he asked me whether I meant the 'Amanda Tapping Machine'? Hmmm... And he's not even attending the con! Guess it must be my bad influence.

Still need to make my list. Top of the list: chocolate!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Kit Kat Lady View Post
            Excellent news - AT5 is another sold out event. Not long to go now.
            Excellent!

Originally posted by elephantgirl View Post
            Safe travels, everyone, I hope everyone gets to make it!

AT5 must be coming near, because when I asked the hubby whether he had gone to the ATM yet, he asked me whether I meant the 'Amanda Tapping Machine'? Hmmm... And he's not even attending the con! Guess it must be my bad influence.

Still need to make my list. Top of the list: chocolate!
            LOL!

Oh, thanks for the reminder. Have to go buy my chocolate.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
              Besides too many -how many hours on the plane to get to the UK?
              24 hours flying + any stopovers in Australia or Asia. This time I came to L.A. first though, so even more hours in a plane

Originally posted by antoa View Post
              Um, hun it will be 80 (about 25C) here in LA during the day and most likely sunny (it did rain yesterday, but it should clear up). That's our winter. Besides, even with snow on the ground you can get sunburned (sometimes worse because of the reflection of the sun off the snow).

Sunscreen will be needed.
              Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
              A broad,, I know. That really. Ok taking off bye!
              Translation: "Antoa, I know that really Oh darn, I have to switch off my phone now and can't fix typos. A broad was my phone's interpretation of Antoa."

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
              Safe flight Neep!! And everyone heading out

Julia(samcarterrules)
              Sitting in the sun drinking coffee with creamer. Creamer! Do not get. What's wrong with milk?

Explored central Hollywood yesterday Cel was walking along the walk of fame with out even noticing... I'm all, look down! Then we went to a diner
              Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Well, it dawned clear and crisp today. It's really quite beautiful. The plow came down and left a small berm that I was able to push aside. But it came down again and I have this big boulder of a snow ball sitting right in the middle of the drive. Everything else is cleared away. The 20 somethings and the landlord did a pretty good job of clearing out. I just did a little cosmetic stuff this morning. Oh brother was it cold!!! By the way, did you see that picture of the car that went off the road and came to rest sitting vertically upright on it's front bumper? How did the driver do that and why didn't it fall over?? Very, very strange!

Well, Mocha, I am still stuck until the landlord comes over. This is now three days house bound. I don't mind it so much but I can't get out to the gym and exercise. Also not being a coffee addict I survived though all I had left was green tea instead of my normal stuff. It is a sacrifice Yes, I know it is good for you it's just not what I like.

Finally getting some work done for the job. Just watched TV, Videos and read yesterday.

Later all, Stay warm

Comment

can't imagine being stuck for 3 days. i'd go crazy. it took less than 1 day for cabin fever to set in. but i felt 100% better as soon as i was able to pull my car out of the driveway. went out and got my hair cut today then tried to run errands but the traffic was unbelievable so i gave up and went home. try again tomorrow(before rush hour).

Comment

Mmmmm, lovely sunny day today. Explored the Huntington Gallery an;d d gardens today. And a wee bit of Griffith Park. Was awesome catching up with Antoa again. heeeeeee!
                    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Seems like this thread and the gabit forum have gotten awefully quiet the last day or so. Has everyone left already or is everyone busy packing?

Comment

I don't leave until Tuesday. I picked up my foreign money today and still have to do some shopping on the weekend. It was darn cold when I got out of class last night. There's almost no humidity here, so 40 degrees feels like zero. This morning the sidewalks around the complex had salt on them because the sprinklers come on during the night and the water froze on the sidewalks. Most unusual to see salt on sidewalks in Phoenix. In class last night, the professor said that this was the second time in 25 years that it's been this cold.

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
                          This morning the sidewalks around the complex had salt on them because the sprinklers come on during the night and the water froze on the sidewalks. Most unusual to see salt on sidewalks in Phoenix. In class last night, the professor said that this was the second time in 25 years that it's been this cold.
                          Most unusual to think about needing to salt sidewalks because of sprinklers! By the time it's cold enough to cause ice here, it's also cold enough to freeze sprinkler pipes so they get shut off for the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
                            Seems like this thread and the gabit forum have gotten awefully quiet the last day or so. Has everyone left already or is everyone busy packing?
                            We've been gone since this past Tuesday and are entirely enjoying the 65F L.A. weather. Hopping over the pond next week and my thermals are ready and waiting, but after the cold of the Midwest, London's 40F and 50F won't seem bad at all!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Comment

I have a question I am hoping the UK folks can answer. If I buy a train ticket for a specific return date/time and for some reason I miss that time, is the return still good on the next train or do you have to pay a penalty or how does that work?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by penjab View Post
                                I have a question I am hoping the UK folks can answer. If I buy a train ticket for a specific return date/time and for some reason I miss that time, is the return still good on the next train or do you have to pay a penalty or how does that work?
                                Speaking from experience, it really depends who your train operator is. There are loads of different companies operating trains on UK railways, what's the route you'll be on? Might be able to do an internet search to work out which is the most likely company and then give them a call. Also, when you book, take a look at the FAQs which will often answer this question. I've had it happen both ways for me - booked a ticket for a specific time, missed it and been able to catch the next and missed it and been charged again! One thing I will say is watch out if they do charge you it will most likely be for the most expensive ticket on the train!

Don't think that really helped...

Comment

Working...
                                X