GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
    Thanks for the travel tips...just one question...how long does one usually stand around in customs for??...on average that is to say.
    it depends on how many flights come in the same time as yours. I've stood in line 10 minutes, i've waited over an hour.

It literally depends on:

how many flights come in, thus how many people need to go through
    how many customs agents are on duty
    if there's a problem with anyone that slows things down
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

3 months ago I asked my team leader what the process was for applying for unpaid leave, since annual leave wouldn't cover what I needed. She got me to apply through the HR software we use, where it was approved and I paid for my airfares.

Spoilers for me feeling sorry for myself.
      Spoiler:

Today I get an email from her telling me that all unpaid leave has to be approved by the CE and that I need to fill in a form on her desk- when she gets that form she will let me know the answer, effectively me reapplying. 1. She already knows the response. 2. I know they had already discussed this before yesterday's meeting where I was told I still had my job. I know this because my team leader tried to bring it up and the head of HR shushed her. From this I gather that it comes from him, but he doesn't want it to look like it so he is making my team leader tell me I need to reapply. Nasty. I know it's all part of the ongoing issue because they had obviously already discussed it before yesterday but she didn't let me know about the form I needed to fill in then.

Suck.

I'm good at my job. My quality marks are nearly 100% for my phone calls. I don't understand why they are using every technicality to come down on me to try and fire me or make me resign- which they know I will have to do if I don't get the leave and want to go on this trip.

The 3 things that make me happy right now are my job helping people, the puppy I'm about to get and AT4. All 3 things are being threatened by various people and I feel like I just can't win.
      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

that so sucks NZ

Spoiler:
        unfortunately, a lot of places are doing stuff like this. They don't want to downsize, dont' want to go 'on record' laying people off. And certainly don't have enough to fire anyone, so they just pick and choose who they want to keep and treat the rest like crap. so that, if it's your decision to leave, they avoid the guilt, avoid the responsibility and avoid the fallout of their actions.

Ultimately, i'm afraid, the only recourse you have from such bullying is to simply find another job.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lisinit View Post
          Unbelievably, I was able to get tickets to AT4 . As happy as I am, my son is even happier. He fell in love with Amanda (for his first crush he definitely chose well ) in Chicago and can't wait to see her again. I'm also very excited to see her as well as attend a GABIT event - from all that I've read, I know it will be a wonderful time.

A question, though, for you experienced AT attendees. Are there usually activities planned on Friday? I'm looking at flight schedules and was wondering, if we arrive around 8 p.m., if we would miss many events. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Besides airline tickets, I guess I should start collecting stamps and buying chocolate (a necessity for attendance, I'm assuming )
          Congratulations.

When Mumsey posted about the tickets I knew some folks would end up very happy. On the other hand, I can't help but feel sorry for those who had to back out. I'm sure they are very disappointed. Hugs to them.

I see SamJackShipLover answered your question.

Thanks for the travel tips...just one question...how long does one usually stand around in customs for??...on average that is to say.
          As Sky said, it depends. My wait was only about 10 mins last time. I did find the signage in the airport an amusing read while waiting. Essentially it politely asked people not to assault the airport staff! At home that's kind of a given that we don't assualt them, we don't need to ask people to refrain from doing so.

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
          3 months ago I asked my team leader what the process was for applying for unpaid leave, since annual leave wouldn't cover what I needed. She got me to apply through the HR software we use, where it was approved and I paid for my airfares.

Spoiler:

Today I get an email from her telling me that all unpaid leave has to be approved by the CE and that I need to fill in a form on her desk- when she gets that form she will let me know the answer, effectively me reapplying. 1. She already knows the response. 2. I know they had already discussed this before yesterday's meeting where I was told I still had my job. I know this because my team leader tried to bring it up and the head of HR shushed her. From this I gather that it comes from him, but he doesn't want it to look like it so he is making my team leader tell me I need to reapply. Nasty. I know it's all part of the ongoing issue because they had obviously already discussed it before yesterday but she didn't let me know about the form I needed to fill in then.

Suck.

I'm good at my job. My quality marks are nearly 100% for my phone calls. I don't understand why they are using every technicality to come down on me to try and fire me or make me resign- which they know I will have to do if I don't get the leave and want to go on this trip.

The 3 things that make me happy right now are my job helping people, the puppy I'm about to get and AT4. All 3 things are being threatened by various people and I feel like I just can't win.
          ((Neep)) Although it has its drawbacks as well, I'm often glad I'm self-employed.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Unbelievably, I was able to get tickets to AT4 . As happy as I am, my son is even happier. He fell in love with Amanda (for his first crush he definitely chose well ) in Chicago and can't wait to see her again. I'm also very excited to see her as well as attend a GABIT event - from all that I've read, I know it will be a wonderful time.

A question, though, for you experienced AT attendees. Are there usually activities planned on Friday? I'm looking at flight schedules and was wondering, if we arrive around 8 p.m., if we would miss many events. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Besides airline tickets, I guess I should start collecting stamps and buying chocolate (a necessity for attendance, I'm assuming )
            Huge congrats! So cute your son has a crush on Amanda. Hehe! Can't wait to meet you both.

Spoiler:

Suck.

*Hugs Neep* that really sucks. *more hugs*

Julia(samcarterrules)
            sigpic
            Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
              I have had several tickets come available in the last couple of weeks, and the waiting list is getting pretty short. If any of you are wanting to come along to AT4 on 13th - 15th November you can join the list. You never know your luck! Contact me on [email protected]

Kay G4
              Um, wouldnt have a few cocktail tickets come available as well have you?

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              it depends on how many flights come in the same time as yours. I've stood in line 10 minutes, i've waited over an hour.

It literally depends on:

how many flights come in, thus how many people need to go through
              how many customs agents are on duty
              if there's a problem with anyone that slows things down
              Last year for AT3 I dont remember customs being that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure I was out of the airport quickly. I spent more time than anything looking for that darn hopper bus. Directions always seem easy until your thrust in the middle of a teeming airport and trying to get your bearings.

In Vancouver though, I believe my flight followed or landed at the same time as planes coming from the Beijing Olympics. Vancouver has a large Asian population and they had brought home various items that customs were picking through very carefully. I just had the bad luck of timing with that one.

Chelle, I must agree with Sky here. It totally depends when your flight lands and the amount of volume of people going through at the same time as you. Hopefully it won't be long, but always be prepared so your not upset if you get in a customs line that drags on for hours.

Spoiler:

Suck.

Neep! *hugs* I'll be crossing fingers and hoping things get smoothed out with your job.

Congrats on your tickets! When you first mentioned coming in on Friday, I almost shouted, "Jet lag!". That is until I saw you were from Italy. No major time zone worries for you I think lolz. Coming in on Friday should be fine.

Comment

my mom was on a flight from india once, and yeah, customs was checking the ethnic Indians very carefully, while she, as someone obviously older and ethnically caucasian, was pulled aside, checked out and released.

Fair or not, ANY obviously ethnic or immigrant group is checked closer when they're coming from a 'country of their origin'.

Basically, i think the mindset is 'this person of asian/indian descent just came from their home turf, and we know that the customs folks over there are more lenient with their own people, so we need to be more vigilant'

of course, in the case of India, i know there is also a 'bringing stuff from home' issue. One of the folks that we know, seems to take great pride in bringing stuff to and from india, and doesn't seem to be too respectful about customs and what you can/can't bring

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                  Um, wouldnt have a few cocktail tickets come available as well have you?
                  Nice try!

Mumsey
                  For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    my mom was on a flight from india once, and yeah, customs was checking the ethnic Indians very carefully, while she, as someone obviously older and ethnically caucasian, was pulled aside, checked out and released.

Fair or not, ANY obviously ethnic or immigrant group is checked closer when they're coming from a 'country of their origin'.

Basically, i think the mindset is 'this person of asian/indian descent just came from their home turf, and we know that the customs folks over there are more lenient with their own people, so we need to be more vigilant'

of course, in the case of India, i know there is also a 'bringing stuff from home' issue. One of the folks that we know, seems to take great pride in bringing stuff to and from india, and doesn't seem to be too respectful about customs and what you can/can't bring
                    Very true! You should have seen the amount of confiscated 'food stuffs' that customs had collected from these people in Vancouver! There was enough noodles and even fresh vegetables lining the walls to host the opening of a new restaurant!

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                    Nice try!

Mumsey
                    Drat!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm feeling a bit better today. My very perceptive granddad got me out of bed and got some food into me by taking me out for lunch.

Monday was an awful day... I had a scary asthma attack, sat a test at uni and then had to go straight into work for that meeting with HR. Well the tests were marked extremely quickly and I just found out I got the highest mark in the class! 100 nursing students and the one who forgot to study and had an asthma attack came out on top. Heh.

So yeah, wee bit happier.
                      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

65 DAYS to go until AT4!!!!!

Days to go until The Sanctuary Experience!!!!!!!

Days to go until Meet the Man!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SEREN LWCH (MAL) View Post
                          65 DAYS to go until AT4!!!!!
                          40 days til I take off on a jet plane...not breaking out a sweat yet. I have the Micheal Shanks event to get through first, then Armageddon then I'll start sweating about the trip!
                          Time sure is flying!!!!
                          Best thing for me right now is the anticipation on meeting everyone...can't wait!
                          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

64 DAYS to go until AT4!!!!!

Days to go until The Sanctuary Experience!!!!!!!

Days to go until Meet the Man!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

40 days til I take off on a jet plane...not breaking out a sweat yet. I have the Micheal Shanks event to get through first, then Armageddon then I'll start sweating about the trip!
                              Time sure is flying!!!!
                              Best thing for me right now is the anticipation on meeting everyone...can't wait!
                              Wow! Sounds like your going to have a very busy 40 days up till you leave! Shanks and Armageddon?? Very cool! Have fun with it all!

Comment

Starting to Bite my Nails now . Flight's and transfers not booked ,, Hotel not booked ,, Chair at the end of the Bar with Irish Examiner not booked ,, Aahhhh .. I'm kind of a last minute kind of Guy .. " * Yayyy ! ! * " Pints Are Booked by Shirt & Tie .. That's one thing off my List ......

N Zeep ((( I am Sure things will work out for you in the End ... One thing is for sure , You have my Support . If needs be , I'll buy you a couple of Beers or 7up's ..

Mal ((( I am Loving these regular up-dates . I am glad your back on the Count Down . Love your colours more . . Keep it up . .

Samcarterrules ((( Great comment *( So cute your son has a crush on Amanda. Hehe! )* Who dosn't have a Crush on Amanda ... I can't wait to meet Her . Amanda and I Share the same Birth Date . Different Year . Drat ..
                                I Need A Hug Toooo !!!

Wishing every one here the Best . .
                                Be Good and Try to post the Blue Powder to your Hotel rooms if possiable ..

Padraig ...
                                CRAZY IRISH GUY :

Puddle Jumper Pilot- Sheppard - Asmir
                                Scientist - McKay - Shirt n' Tie
                                Scientist - Zalenka- Bar
                                Cook and able body - Ronon - Master Bray Tack .
                                Crazy Irish Guy Was Here .

Spoiler:
                                Are we Geeks or Nerds

Comment

Working...
                                X