Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    *steals grapes from Mal and throws randomly*

Gah, we should totally have a toga party instead of an abnormal blah too..i mean ball.
    Come on, Cel, if the others don't want to play, we can be the abnormals in togas!

Comment

Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post

Cel...chatting as I post this!!! Would have been on earlier but had an inservice at work then thought I would surprise the kids and pick them up from school rather than making them catch the train home! Am having to eat and drink now before my head rolls off!!
        Let the plotting commence then right? Hehe

No worries either about the time. I was still up and chatting as you already know by now. Gotta love group chats. We'll need to connect later to iron out the little details yet and perhaps see if there are anymore interested in participating in some way in the ball, but unwilling to do the costume route. I say, more the merrier.

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
        Come on, Cel, if the others don't want to play, we can be the abnormals in togas!
        Well sure..er, I suppose we could try it. It was more meant as a joke, but I'm never one to shirk a dare within means; might be fun too. Stripping my bed for the sheets will be very unusual, but nothing more unusual then what I'm thinking the entire weekend is gonna be like imho lol.

Anyone else willing to join our little fashion statement? Even for the entirety of one song on the dance floor?

Comment

Originally posted by bikerchic1977 View Post
          oh but for once i have something picked out for the abnormal part of the party early and it just wouldn't look right with a toga.. to be honest, nothing i have would like right with a toga, including me!

of course, watching the desk staff's reaction as we all request extra sheets dressed in those togas would be very interesting..
          Sorry for the double posting!

Awww...but it's not about how we'll look in them. Nobody looks good in a toga imo. It's more about how much fun we'll have wearing them and just being silly.

LOL on the expressions of the staff though at the main desk. Hence my comment about stripping our beds. Though if we happen to spill something on our toga's, it might make sleeping on the sheets a bit uncomfortable later that night.

Comment

Gah...triple posting?? Me thinks I'm monopolizing this thread...sorry!

Was talking with a friend and she gave me a gentle push this way. *pokes her back* Anyways, I just wanted to make a respectful request to the G4 and perhaps get some feedback on a few ideas we had.

1. For the disco, we thought it would be pretty cool if people could request some of the songs to be played that night. With so many coming from all over the world, there's bound to be different ideas as to what is 'popular' in their country and hearing this music would lend a unique experience to the overall event. Of course, different restrictions would need to be enforced to ensure that the songs picked out are acceptable to the standards of the G4.

2. Adding to the above idea, we thought doing a bit of karaoke as well might add to the general atmosphere of fun that night. Again, differing restrictions set down by the G4 as to what music we may choose and which will be adherently enforced is of course something that we shall abide by.

Anyways, these were thought up and conspired upon at 2am so...yeah.
            Last edited by Celandine; 19 March 2009, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Cel, I know that at AT2 I requested a couple of songs at the disco *nod*.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Oh boy!! You really don't want to hear my choice of music!!! I kinda like my country music and I don't think that goes too well at discos...the last I checked anyways!!
                  I'm trying to think of Aussie sings that might be good...nup...can't think of any!
                  "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

*requests some Kiwi classics...*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKj4upY1VYI
                    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                      Cel, I know that at AT2 I requested a couple of songs at the disco *nod*.
                      Did you? Was it before or during the disco though? They must have been something pretty popular for the DJ to have them in her/his collection that night, right?

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                      Oh boy!! You really don't want to hear my choice of music!!! I kinda like my country music and I don't think that goes too well at discos...the last I checked anyways!!
                      I'm trying to think of Aussie sings that might be good...nup...can't think of any!
                      Haha...well I know for a fact that the person who was poking me to post these requests likes country music too and doing a line dance or two would be something that she might actually get out on the floor to do. Heck, its one dance that might be fun for us all to learn and it's all about the experience of the weekend imo. A blending of many tastes from all over the world.

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                      *requests some Kiwi classics...*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKj4upY1VYI
                      LOL..their 'style' reminds me of a group we had here a few years back called 'The Talking Heads' which I guess have some classics hits as well now. Very punk/new wave. *nods*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM

But yeah, your Kiwi group is definitely danceable so why not!

Comment

Did you? Was it before or during the disco though? They must have been something pretty popular for the DJ to have them in her/his collection that night, right?
                        Before the disco? Huh? I just went to the DJ and requested a couple of songs. There was one he didn't have, but the rest he did.

Then again, if I go karaokeing at a "standard" place or go to a club or disco, I try not to request anything too obscure. I personally don't expect, when I go to a convention or event in the US or in Germany, for them to have tracks by British bands like Scooch, Steps, Hepburn, SClub7... heck, I wouldn't even "expect" them to have Girls Aloud. Similarly, whilst I might expect a UK DJ to have at least a dance remix of Moi... Lolita (which got into the top ten here in the UK a few years back) if they are in a large-ish club, I wouldn't expect a mobile DJ to have a copy, and I certainly wouldn't request anything by Superbus, Nena, Die Toten Hosen, Lorie, Kyo, Aston Villa, Julie or anyone else.

At certain events, like the staff Christmas party this last year, if I'm really desperate for a certain song (I thought the irony of me doing karaoke to "I Can't Speak French" at least partially in French, and "I Kissed a Girl" would have everyone in hysterics) I take it along myself. I mean, I can't expect a DJ to cater for me at a single event. CDs are too expensive to be doing that. Then, you know, it's at the DJ's discretion. My local gay club in Southampton trusted my taste (they know I like camp, cheesy pop and would play whatever I handed over), but other clubs or DJs won't play a track without listening to it first. Shrug.

Karaoke is a different matter... specially where I'm involved. Doesn't matter if you think you know the track, not when I decide to do my special William Shatner version. Or even better, my special Drag Queen duet of A Whole New World (magic carpet ride, anyone?).

Saying that, karaoke is a dangerous thing. It's often a love or hate thing and can instantly turn people off, especially if the choice of songs isn't right. And CDG tracks are really, REALLY expensive. Also, one person choosing a song that doesn't fit with the "feel" of the night can really kill the mood, and you definitely need a host with karaoke experience to pull off the right atmosphere at an event.

Anyone would think that you really hate the idea of the abnormal ball, lol.

Comment

While I like the idea of music from around the world, I think it is hard to do... I mean it involves people bringing the songs with them...and I think it is more work for the G4 and the DJ... I really liked last year disco, and I remember some people requesting songs, so it is possible. Obviously they don't have every song, but I remember them having a big list.

As to the karaoke, I am not a big fan of it at all. But it can be loads of fun. But it is a lot of organizing at the moment.

And TJ: if you let me do karaoke, you'll get an extremly abnormal ball You'll here something you never heard before and wished you never heard LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                            Before the disco? Huh? I just went to the DJ and requested a couple of songs. There was one he didn't have, but the rest he did.

Then again, if I go karaokeing at a "standard" place or go to a club or disco, I try not to request anything too obscure. I personally don't expect, when I go to a convention or event in the US or in Germany, for them to have tracks by British bands like Scooch, Steps, Hepburn, SClub7... heck, I wouldn't even "expect" them to have Girls Aloud. Similarly, whilst I might expect a UK DJ to have at least a dance remix of Moi... Lolita (which got into the top ten here in the UK a few years back) if they are in a large-ish club, I wouldn't expect a mobile DJ to have a copy, and I certainly wouldn't request anything by Superbus, Nena, Die Toten Hosen, Lorie, Kyo, Aston Villa, Julie or anyone else.

At certain events, like the staff Christmas party this last year, if I'm really desperate for a certain song (I thought the irony of me doing karaoke to "I Can't Speak French" at least partially in French, and "I Kissed a Girl" would have everyone in hysterics) I take it along myself. I mean, I can't expect a DJ to cater for me at a single event. CDs are too expensive to be doing that. Then, you know, it's at the DJ's discretion. My local gay club in Southampton trusted my taste (they know I like camp, cheesy pop and would play whatever I handed over), but other clubs or DJs won't play a track without listening to it first. Shrug.

Karaoke is a different matter... specially where I'm involved. Doesn't matter if you think you know the track, not when I decide to do my special William Shatner version. Or even better, my special Drag Queen duet of A Whole New World (magic carpet ride, anyone?).

Saying that, karaoke is a dangerous thing. It's often a love or hate thing and can instantly turn people off, especially if the choice of songs isn't right. And CDG tracks are really, REALLY expensive. Also, one person choosing a song that doesn't fit with the "feel" of the night can really kill the mood, and you definitely need a host with karaoke experience to pull off the right atmosphere at an event.

Anyone would think that you really hate the idea of the abnormal ball, lol.
                            I dont hate the idea. Just adding a few different ideas to the mix to make it the best it can be. *nods* I mean, last year the disco wasn't as big a hit as I thought it would be. Only a handful of people showed up and most that did were in and out of the room all night long or just showed up for a 1/2 hour tops before heading out to some other fun that night. Hmm, speaking of which, I dont recall seeing you there m'dear.

Anyways, it's perfectly fine for individuals to do this as it's an entirely optional event. I just thought adding a few different 'fun' distractions might draw more of a crowd that night and keep people there longer as well. *shrug*

And of course Tracy, anything that someone requests for a song would have to have it approved by the G4 beforehand. I wouldnt expect them to give the passing wave on whatever whim we might have. Hence my idea now so it gives them plenty of time to approve and collect said songs. A professional DJ with karaoke experience wouldnt be a bad idea either imo. They have the knowledge of how to draw a crowd together, the repertoire of songs and technical equipment needed to make the night a big success. Leaving it in the hands of an amateur would not be the best idea at all.

Comment

I dont recall seeing you there m'dear.
                              I was there. I wasn't really at my best, but I was there. There is photographic evidence around of Liesl and Jenn trying to hold me up on the dancefloor. I'm really not co-ordinated at all.

A professional DJ with karaoke experience wouldnt be a bad idea either imo. They have the knowledge of how to draw a crowd together, the repertoire of songs and technical equipment needed to make the night a big success. Leaving it in the hands of an amateur would not be the best idea at all.
                              The DJ they use is one with a lot of convention experience, so he's perfect for the job. I just don't know whether he's got karaoke experience and that's a different kettle of fish. And I don't see the G4 going with another DJ, to be honest. Shrug.

And at an event with so many people from so many different countries and backgrounds, "success" is a very subjective term, as is "wide repertoire". People look for very different things in a disco type event, that's all I'm saying.

The one problem I see with your idea, and I'm not saying that catering to an international contingent is a bad idea, though it's not something I would even think of suggesting when attending a con in another country where my nationality is in the minority (though I won't say no to some Jeroen van der Boom!).... the problem I see is cost. Unless people are going to bring CDs to play, it's going to cost money to find and collect these songs. And whilst, if they are mainstream songs, that's fine, if they're slightly more niche and unlikely to get requested in the UK as a rule, then it seems somewhat frivolous to invest for the sake of one dance at one party.

Eve, I'm pretty sure you're not as bad as all that. You know what? I enjoy the "bad" singers who have fun much, much more than the good singers who are so far up their own backsides that you get echo on the mic. I hosted and co-hosted a few karaoke evenings and it is ALL about having fun, and about etiquette. I like the competition, I think it's fun. But I also think there's a balance between healthy, fun competition and egos getting in the way

Sigh... I need to phone Hans and go pranking the new karaoke DJ in town this weekend. There's nothing better than getting up to sing a "standard" and then totally warping it. Recent examples include Valerie in the style of William Shatner, Bohemian Rhapsody in German (that took some preplanning), a sexually explicit version of Karma Chameleon and the lesbian version of "It's Raining Men". Can you tell that my partner in crime and I are trouble?

Comment

Okay, so I'm gathering that you might not think these are the best ideas to come along. Its all good. Your opinion is valid. I'm just trying to make it fun by adding suggestions to the pot so please dont fault me for trying. It can't hurt and I also like to look at the possibilities rather than the negatives to any idea.

Music is easily downloaded through a bit torrent site and if people feel inclined to bring a cd or two of a few songs they feel others might enjoy and which are 'clean' and danceable, then I say go for it. The DJ which Gabit uses is fine too. We can work around the obstacles I think. Hey, it's all about the fun. Also, in my opinion, the songs from other countries that I've never heard of are part of the experience. Obscure doesnt have to be something to be afraid of, but rather embraced as part of one living and enjoying life. Heck, I hadnt even heard of the "Split Enz" till Neep posted the link..and its very good for dancing too if you ask me. This whole thing doesnt have to be difficult and sometimes its a matter of perspective. Like climbing a huge mountain. If you tell yourself it's too difficult, too far, too time consuming, etc...then you most likely will just turn away or quit. That's not living life to its fullest imo.

I also would like to get a bit more feedback on anyone else who might happen to wander into this thread. We all have an opinion and with those opinions might also come solutions to minor details already brought up.

Also, when the G4 happen to come in and decide neither idea is doable then I will respect their decision on it entirely. They do have the final word in these things.

Comment

Working...
                                X