GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
    Just a random thought... how about extending it to sweets this time round? Because some types of confectionary will be easier to transport for those backpacking like Cel. Those who still want to do the chocolate thing can, but then it widens the range of "local" (or national) treats you can bring. I tried Australian Jaffas the other day and they were YUMMY.
    Nestle Crunch Bars and something else....

Sound okay?
    Last edited by ~Sarah~; 07 January 2009, 06:41 PM. Reason: because Cel already called Jelly Belly's Yum!
    sigpic
    awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

the one thing i'd suggest....it sounds like a lot of people are going to bring sweets. which is awsome. but...as we found out with the chocolate last time, don't feel like you have to 'bring enough for everyone'

In other words, please bring, just don't feel like you have to bring lots.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        the one thing i'd suggest....it sounds like a lot of people are going to bring sweets. which is awsome. but...as we found out with the chocolate last time, don't feel like you have to 'bring enough for everyone'

And whatever you do, don't bring or make hamburgers .

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          Well, I see things have returned to normal from the worries of the weekend and we are back to talking chocolate and booze. I believe we have TimTams in Canada so I can bring some.

I have received confirmation that my payment was received (thanks G4) so I guess I'm going. To be honest, I'm not as excited as I thought I would be, I think it is because I feel for those who weren't able to get tickets. For those in North America, keep in mind Amanda is doing a number of conventions this year. My "Plan B" if I wasn't going to AT4 was to go to Chicago. For those in Europe and the UK, remember she'll be at Collectormania. I appreciate these events are not on par with Gabit but still a chance to see and support Amanda, eh?
          So, we won't see you in Chicago?
          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
          Anon

Comment

Wait, The hotel code hasn't been sent out yet has it? I thought someone posted that they had it, maybe I was crazy in reading that... Just thought that I'd ask before I emailed that I didn't have it... Or am I being impatient again?
            sigpic

Comment

i don't THINK it has been yet. I'm remembering that they're sending out confirmations and gteting the tickets straightened out, then they'll send out the hotel code. but i could be wrong. I'll try to look back a page or three

sigpic

Comment

here it is

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=11335

hotel codes to come, PROBABLY by the end of the month (extrapolating julia's ' next ten days' and the current date) - note that the timeframe is my guess, not fact

sigpic

Comment

Lol, Sky what would I do without ya! Thanks for looking back....
                  On that same note, it's just like I thought it was
                  Okay back to watching some Supernatural and freaking out over that....
                  sigpic

Comment

here it is

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=11335

hotel codes to come, PROBABLY by the end of the month (extrapolating julia's ' next ten days' and the current date) - note that the timeframe is my guess, not fact
                    Ah good, I'm glad someone asked about this and thanks Sky for checking on it. I saw the post earlier about someone having the code already and kinda freaked cos, being at work, I couldnt do any emailing. *sighs*

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
                    Lol, Sky what would I do without ya! Thanks for looking back....
                    On that same note, it's just like I thought it was
                    Okay back to watching some Supernatural and freaking out over that....
                    I LOVE Supernatural! It's best watched at night with the lights very low and your earbuds in so all other noise is blocked out but the ep your watching. I once was watching it one night and my mom scared the bejeebers out of me when she came up and tapped me on the shoulder in an especially scary part lol. This show always gives me an adrenalin rush.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                      I LOVE Supernatural! It's best watched at night with the lights very low and your earbuds in so all other noise is blocked out but the ep your watching. I once was watching it one night and my mom scared the bejeebers out of me when she came up and tapped me on the shoulder in an especially scary part lol. This show always gives me an adrenalin rush.
                      Lol, I learned very quickly not to watch it that way.... I was watching it on a break at work with a portable Dvd Player and someone saw me jump and thought it was the funniest thing ever.... The worst part is you know that they're setting up a scary part....
                      So now I watch an ep, and then I watch an ep of Atlantis or Sanctuary....

I just thought of a dumb question.... okay, and please no one make fun of me for this... When in the London area, How do you pay at the restaurants? Like do you leave a tip when at certain restaurants?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post

I just thought of a dumb question.... okay, and please no one make fun of me for this... When in the London area, How do you pay at the restaurants? Like do you leave a tip when at certain restaurants?
                        You don't tip there like you do in the US. Here the servers make a small base wage and depend on tips, but it's not like that in Europe. From what I've been told, you can leave a bit extra (like a pound or so) if you felt the service was outstanding, but it's not customary to leave 15% or whatever.

Those that actually live there can correct me if I am wrong and blame my father for giving me bad information.

Comment

When I was there last May, we only went to either of the two pubs in the area. You ordered at the counter and picked your food up there as well. You didnt sit down and wait for a server to come to your table like we do in teh States. So, no servers means no tips left.

Oh and when you order, dont jump for joy too much when you see the price for a full meal. I mean 8 pounds might seem wonderfully cheap for a dinner, but only in the US. Double every price you see and you'll correctly get what your paying in dollars. Hence why going overseas is so dang expensive right now.

I'd suggest making sure your room has a frig and picking up some snacks to stash for the times when you have the munchies or when lunch rolls around. Save your money for dinner. Breakfast, if you get in on the hotel discount provided through Gabit, will be complimentary which is very nice.

Comment

Frommers Online Travel Guide

Taxes & Tipping -- All restaurants and cafes are required to display the prices of their food and drink in a place visible from outside. Charges for service, as well as any minimums or cover charges, must also be made clear. The prices shown must include 17.5% VAT. Most restaurants add a 10% to 15% service charge to your bill, but check to make sure. If nothing has been added, leave a 10% to 15% tip. It is not considered rude to tip, so feel free to leave something extra if service was good.
                            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Antoa, Cel and tsaxlady... Thank you very much. Extremely helpful!

Lol, and the theoretical fridge may be used for theoretical jello
                              sigpic

Comment

*imagines huge mountains of candy and chocolate*

Sky is very right lol.

Oh, and I mentioned having a hotelcode (I assumed everyone did) and I just checked my e-mail from Mumsey and I did get a hotel bookingcode, but in my e-mail there wasn't said anything about the charmed passes, so I think there were a couple of mails already send out when they decided to change the outgoing e-mail. I think.

Don't worry, I won't book all the rooms
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X