No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all, I found my way here via the Samanda thread, where all the lovely posts and pictures from AT3 got me itching to go to AT4.

I've got a couple of questions, first has the date for AT4 been set yet, and second can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much it would cost to attend? I'm still a poor college student so it would be good to know how much I need to start saving up.

Thanks!

sigpic

Comment

Hey everyone, just got back from Toronto and the Me So Lovely play

I have to say it was very inspiring, what an awesome play Julia R wrote, and seeing it performed was fabulous. What made it even more special was being one of the crew and being able to help out, and find out what really happens back stage Mini was an awesome director, and I have to say that our very own samcarterrules (Julia) appearance touched everyone I'll let Julia tell you about her appearance

What was funny, was poor Strix also volunteered to help and thought she'd be passing out pamphlets....little did she know she'd be shanghai'd into working the lights and video affects. To say she was a little nervous would be an understatement...I was worried that things might start to be thrown out the window of the A/V booth (which is above the audience) But alas Strix mangaed very well

Another fun part was running into all the Samandans and Mumsey and Becky have added on to their charm bracelets which was very lovely. We did try to pry out of Julia R when AT4 would be, some tried using booze, I tried our Canadain secret weapon, guaranteed to get anyone talking....

Spoiler:
      TimBits!

but alas, all I could get out of her was, "Don't worry, everything is under control" I know, everyone wants to know, but they are busy right now with other things, but have not forgotten their duty, so we just have to be patient (I know that's hard on some of us ) and wait for word.

So ends my little update
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
        And then you met the Canada-haters and everything went down hill.
        *blinks*

There are Canada-haters?

No accounting for taste.

And as for the charms, they're a darling idea and I just LOVED mine.
        Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
          *blinks*

There are Canada-haters?

No accounting for taste.

Only the Canadian weather. Not really Canada. Did you see the I Survived Canada igloo shirts at AT3?
          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
          Anon

Comment

Nope, I didn't!

And actually, there ARE Canada-haters...moreso than just the weather. But again...no accounting for taste.

I heart Canada.

Which reminds me...I really SHOULD be packing.
            Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
              I had a simply horrid time!! Was so hard to even get my breakfast down the next morning sitting around the table looking at all your ugly faces.

Totally, totally kidding!! I had one of the best weekends in a long time and made many new friends which I am always grateful for. Why else would I be anxiously awaiting any news on the date for AT4?

Just off another killer shift at work...11 hours straight. Gah..I counted on the way home and I havent slept in like 26 hrs. I blame this for my lunacy above..meh.
              What's wrong with 11 hour shifts?
              (Asked by the person who works 12-hour shifts 3 days a week, plus overtime ... plus my part-time jobs ... maybe that has something to do with my mental status!)

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
              Because I'm in a convention talking mood.

Does anybody have an absolute best moment from any of the Gabit events? Anything from the cons that causes you to go "Wow. That was it for me." I mean I know we all have a lifetime of memories whether we've been to one event, two, or even three... but sometimes I think there's always just one that has a special place.
              Oh, I had more than a few, but I think ... I have three moments with Amanda (I'm sure y'all have heard them before) - the second photo, being told by Amanda both that she thought I'd be a great teacher and that she loved me, and then when Amanda stopped on her way out on Sunday to order me to 'stay crazy!' That was a 'zone-out' moment, when time seemed to slow down and for a moment, there was this connection b/w us. So if I had to choose just one ... that one prob sticks the most in my mind!

Here's the Amazon listing:
              http://www.amazon.com/Goodnight-My-A...488320&sr=1-12

For anyone that's interested, here's a picture of the gifts that I sent to Amanda. I cross stitched the faces picture and the stocking.
              http://picasaweb.google.com/rderoch/...69242065281346
              Wow - those look amazing! You're def talented

Amanda is a pretty receptive person. I bet she understood everything you were trying to say. She's an expert hug reader.
              I agree - Amanda is a pretty amazing hugger - I'm sure she could hear everything you had to say loud and clear Julia!

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post

I have to say it was very inspiring, what an awesome play Julia R wrote, and seeing it performed was fabulous. What made it even more special was being one of the crew and being able to help out, and find out what really happens back stage Mini was an awesome director, and I have to say that our very own samcarterrules (Julia) appearance touched everyone I'll let Julia tell you about her appearance

What was funny, was poor Strix also volunteered to help and thought she'd be passing out pamphlets....little did she know she'd be shanghai'd into working the lights and video affects. To say she was a little nervous would be an understatement...I was worried that things might start to be thrown out the window of the A/V booth (which is above the audience) But alas Strix mangaed very well

Another fun part was running into all the Samandans and Mumsey and Becky have added on to their charm bracelets which was very lovely. We did try to pry out of Julia R when AT4 would be, some tried using booze, I tried our Canadain secret weapon, guaranteed to get anyone talking....

Spoiler:
              TimBits!

but alas, all I could get out of her was, "Don't worry, everything is under control" I know, everyone wants to know, but they are busy right now with other things, but have not forgotten their duty, so we just have to be patient (I know that's hard on some of us ) and wait for word.

So ends my little update
              Wow - even the Cdn lil-known bribery secret couldn't get it out of her? Geesh I'm glad you had fun Mandy, and I really, really wish I could have been there to enjoy the show as well. Unfortunately the timing of work meant it just didn't happen. Maybe I can catch it during another run somewhere ... hey, a girl can dream, right? And lord, have I got dreams...

Speaking of dreams, I had one last night that might interest y'all.
              I walked into a room (to do something unrelated), and saw on the tv an advert announcing the dates of AT5 (June 2011)! Can we take this as a sign? Hmmmm......
              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
              ames on facebook
              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Thanks for sharing Mandy, I have been wondering how it went over there.

And Ames .... a tv advert eh? Lol.

EvenstarSRV .. nope, no date yet. Although it seems everyone is everywhere trying to get Julia to tell us lol.
                About the costs ...
                Spoiler:
                I guess it depends mostly on if you have to fly in and from where. So, you can google that yourself. If I remember correctly, the weekend pass was 169 GBP, if you were going for charmed (including the cocktailparty) it was an additional 70 GBP or something. I had the weekendpass and I didn't feel like a 2ndclassattendee at all (which you hear sometimes at bigger cons).
                I shared a room at the hotel with someone and we paid the conrate, which was 42.5 GBP per person per night (I stayed 3 nights). On food I spend very little, breakfast was included, lunch was pretty cheap at the hotel (lunch was set up) and the pubs or McD for dinner were also not expensive. I think I spend not even 50 GBP on that in total. Then there are the charity thingies, you can buy lottery tickets (1 GBP each, for tea with Amanda or goodies), donate some change in the buckets or go crazy at the auction. So, you really can spend as much or little on that as you want. And finally Legends is there with merchandise, they had some pretty nice things that were't that expensive at all (like nice big pics to get signed, little packets of cards, pens etc).
                I think that about covers it. Unless I forgot something. It's a lot of money, but so worth it, as you make memories you'll never ever forget
                sigpic

Comment

Nope, I didn't!

And actually, there ARE Canada-haters...moreso than just the weather. But again...no accounting for taste.

I heart Canada.

Which reminds me...I really SHOULD be packing.
                  Really? Hmm...I haven't started yet...in fact I don't even have a bag yet....

*squeeee*
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                  My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                    Really? Hmm...I haven't started yet...in fact I don't even have a bag yet....

*squeeee*
                    At least you have your passport
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                      At least you have your passport
                      And it was locked in the filing cabinet within half an hour of arrival at my address in front of three witnesses....
                      sigpic
                      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                        What's wrong with 11 hour shifts?
                        (Asked by the person who works 12-hour shifts 3 days a week, plus overtime ... plus my part-time jobs ... maybe that has something to do with my mental status!)
                        *pats your mental status* That was just that day though. With the opening of our new boat, the 'pencil's' just dont seem to have it all together sometimes. Usually the shifts are at least 12 hrs but I have heard of others working a straight fifteen. Crazy.

Mostly I work 10-12 hrs four days a week. The work is definitely fun (what job wouldnt be if you played games all day!) but there are occasional times when it can be quite stressful. Payouts in the 5 to 10k range are the reason, especially if you have to take a mandatory bankers commission of 5% out. Combine that with approx. twenty shouting Asian/American mix shouting "Monkey!" at the top of their lungs within a *sometimes* smoky room which I totally hate and you might understand why my shifts seem so long. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                          However, if I have to pick one moment as a favourite it would be Starflight finding Antoa's poster and Antoa's joy and relief at it having been found. It is an absolutely fabulous drawing of Amanda and Antoa spent so many hours doing it. I know she was worried she wouldn't be able to get it signed (as was discussed on this thread) and then all the trouble and care of taking it overseas and carrying around on holiday before the convention. To have lost it just before the autographs would have been devastating. AT said it was the best drawing she had ever seen of herself and was happy to sign it. I'm a sucker for a happy ending!
                          I just have to say...awwwww.
                          Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          TimBits!

So ends my little update
                          Yay!! Thanks for popping in Mandy for that small little update. Glad to hear that Me So Lovely went well...wish I could have been there....I was in spirit though!! Can't wait to hear more!
                          I heart Canada.
                          I heart Canada too...I heart the world!!!
                          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I think one of my best moments of AT3 was when Starflight found Antoas poster...I was so flaming relieved! Also...it meant I could stop looking under odd items of furniture.

Talking of long shifts...there was the weekend where I worked 9pm Saturday night to 3pm Sunday afternoon...and then was back at work at 8:30pm Sunday evening, left that job at 7:30 am Monday morning so I could make it to my other job for 8:45

thankfully I was on the sleeping night-shift, but caring for a slightly drunk and very stressed out teenager doesn't contribute to the most restful sleep.
                            sigpic
                            My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Thankfully I don't *have* to work stupid hours these days, though I choose to, in order to keep weekends free. When I worked at McDonalds I would regularly start work at 6am and work through until 11pm. They'd give me a 45min break at about 4pm.

Talking of work, though... I met up with my little sister yesterday, seeing as she was in town. She asked me what I was doing over the summer holidays and why I wasn't back at my parents' house. I told her I was working and she asked, "what as?" A teacher, you idiot! What do you think!??!?!

The whole KS3 scheme of work needs rewriting, I've got budget stuff coming out of my ears... I really, really hate being head of department!
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Nope, I didn't!

I heart Canada.
                                Long story short. A group of us drove from Michigan to Toronto to see Amanda in VM. The drive back was a harrowing ordeal. What would normally take 5 hours, took 26. After 10 hours on the road, we had to get a room overnight, because all the highways were closed. So, I had Tshirts made for each of us with "I survived..." and the date and the comment "friggin igloo". We wore our shirts for our pics with Amanda and told her how long it took us to get home. Since she went to school in Windsor, she knew how long it would normally take. She loved the shirts and thought they were very funny. We had her autograph them the next. day.

I totally heart Canada and it's people. And living in Michigan, I know winter can be nasty, but this trip was ridiculously nasty. We just had to commemorate a rather memorable trip. But, when EH-T and some of the other Canadian folks saw them (not knowing the story), they wanted to know why we hated Canada. After we explained they understood.
                                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                                William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                                Anon

Comment

Working...
                                X