No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be home in a few days time and uploading pics from AT5 after that. It was quite different than the other three events I've been to, but not in a bad way. Every AT event is special in its own way and I have some very special memories of this one to carry with me for quite some time.

It took me going to AT3 to realize that I love Gabit events for more than meeting the guest(s). It's about the people; about the friends you make and keep for life. So much so, that a few of us are even planning a meet-up in NYC some time later this year we've become so close. And there's no Amanda!

Thanks to all the Gabit folks for such a wonderfully organized get-together. Looking forward to AT6, and hopefully, TSE2 some time in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      Well, I am old and tend to forget. I'm sure your version is correct.
      Must be the head injury...

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
        You guys know how we've talking about Ivis the bear today, well after talking with Julia(G4) and she has given her blessing for me to share the story behind my bringing Ivis home.
        On the day of the auction Julia had to return home to be with her dog Cassie, when Julia returned to the Ren for the auction, very sadly she'd had to put Cassie to sleep. When Ivis came up for auction, Julia wanted to do something in Cassie's memory and so very selth-like (Sam and Helen would have been proud I tell you lol) started nodding her bids Sue as she sat on the edge of the stage, leaving Amanda very confused as to who was bidding hehehe! When the bidding came to an end Julia had won Ivis.
        To my great surprised, shock and delight Julia took him from Amanda and came over and handed him to me!!
        Now isn't that the heart of AT5, that even in one of the hardest and personal losses, Julia was still giving and thinking of others. Both the charities who got the money and myself, I got Ivis. This then enabled me to raise even more money with Ivis by you guys donating to hug him.
        Julia my dear friend you are such inspiration! Every time I hug/look at Ivis I will think your beloved Cassie. *hugs*
        Love human or animal knows no bounds. <3
        Julia(samcarterrules)
        Aww man. That is just so beautiful. Must be someithing special about the name Julia...always said it was a beautiful name.
        I'm glad Ivis has a fantastic home with you Julia, just like my beloved Steve who still sits on the bookshelf in the lounge room with the Gabit mug in his lap. And I still have his carry box which is still on the floor in my bedroom where I had left it after I got home from AT4 - it only gets moved so I can vacume around it.
        Julia R - I am so sorry to hear about your beloved dog Cassie. But you did such a wonderful heartfelt thing that has now ensured that Cassie will be remembered by many who never got to know her.
        You're all definitely a special bunch of people to just give so generously. My pennies are accumulating once again in anticipation for AT6. This time, however, I am hoping to be better prepared.
        Originally posted by ames View Post
        Perhaps that should be the AT6 name - Ripples?
        *catches the fainting JuliaR, passes over more chocolate *
        Great idea Ames...works well.
        Originally posted by The Kit Kat Lady View Post
        I know it was the catch cry of the AT5 event but I wonder if we will see it on a badge at AT6.
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

You guys know how we've talking about Ivis the bear today, well after talking with Julia(G4) and she has given her blessing for me to share the story behind my bringing Ivis home.

On the day of the auction Julia had to return home to be with her dog Cassie, when Julia returned to the Ren for the auction, very sadly she'd had to put Cassie to sleep. When Ivis came up for auction, Julia wanted to do something in Cassie's memory and so very selth-like (Sam and Helen would have been proud I tell you lol) started nodding her bids Sue as she sat on the edge of the stage, leaving Amanda very confused as to who was bidding hehehe! When the bidding came to an end Julia had won Ivis.

To my great surprised, shock and delight Julia took him from Amanda and came over and handed him to me!!

Now isn't that the heart of AT5, that even in one of the hardest and personal losses, Julia was still giving and thinking of others. Both the charities who got the money and myself, I got Ivis. This then enabled me to raise even more money with Ivis by you guys donating to hug him.

Julia my dear friend you are such inspiration! Every time I hug/look at Ivis I will think your beloved Cassie. *hugs*

Julia(samcarterrules)
          *hugs to you both*

You are both incredible women.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post

It took me going to AT3 to realize that I love Gabit events for more than meeting the guest(s). It's about the people; about the friends you make and keep for life. So much so, that a few of us are even planning a meet-up in NYC some time later this year we've become so close. And there's no Amanda!
            I better get my tour-guide hat all shiny'd up!
            (next S4K benefit concert scheduled tentatively later june. might be a good time *cough cough*)
            sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

MoB Thank you! I'll PM you my addy.

Julia(samcarterrules)
              Beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us. You are both such amazing and generous women. Hugs again to both of you.

Originally posted by The Kit Kat Lady View Post
              LOL! Well, I did play a lot of hockey as a kid.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

*pops in*

I've been reading this thread more and more for the past two weeks. The stuff I read blowed me away and moved me even though I wasn't there. I just wanted to thank everyone who shared their pictures and reports. Some of them made me teary and others made me smile beyond reason. I can say that what I all of this makes me want to attend AT6 next year so bad! And I find myself wanting to go to meet AT, but to meet all of you as well!

As for the hugging part (I've been reading about it and wanted to reply), I just want to say that, as much as I hug my friends and family until they can't breath anymore , I am usually really shy with strangers. But I guess I'll have to prepare if I ever meet AT.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for sharing what you experienced at AT5 (instead of simply lurking on this thread ).
                sigpic
                Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
                My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
                Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
                  *pops in*

I've been reading this thread more and more for the past two weeks. The stuff I read blowed me away and moved me even though I wasn't there. I just wanted to thank everyone who shared their pictures and reports. Some of them made me teary and others made me smile beyond reason. I can say that what I all of this makes me want to attend AT6 next year so bad! And I find myself wanting to go to meet AT, but to meet all of you as well!

As for the hugging part (I've been reading about it and wanted to reply), I just want to say that, as much as I hug my friends and family until they can't breath anymore , I am usually really shy with strangers. But I guess I'll have to prepare if I ever meet AT.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for sharing what you experienced at AT5 (instead of simply lurking on this thread ).
                  That is so kind of you to say. Based on that, I am sure you will fit in at AT6 just fine.

I started off lurking as well and wasn't until AT3 that I jumped in. Keep hanging around as the thread continues to be active between AT events. I expect speculation to start about the date of AT6 any time now.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                    It took me going to AT3 to realize that I love Gabit events for more than meeting the guest(s). It's about the people; about the friends you make and keep for life.
                    I was sitting with a couple of people in the lobby on Friday night, telling stories and laughing and generally having a good time. We realized we were hungry and started to get up to go to the pub when one of us said she wanted to wait for Amanda to go through to the cocktail party, first. I was a bit startled to realize I'd forgotten for a minute that Amanda was coming to the convention, I'd been having so much fun getting to see everyone again.

Comment

I realize that AT5 is all about Amanda (rightfully so) and giving to these wonderful causes as it should be. However, this trip became so much more. I usually write about the event and what happens, but sharper minds them mine have done just that and quite beautifully I might add. So I want to write about something a little different this time.

In spite of what most people might think, I am basically an observer of life. I like to watch and notice the reactions of others while I stand back and reflect upon it all. Sometimes I incorporate what I see in my writings, but even more, I put it into this vast wasteland called by brain to reflect and live over again and again. Generally, it all unravels and reveals itself in my imagination - my most proud obsession.

But the 12 days I spent this time turned out to be so very different and for one reason - the WOOHOOS! This fantastic group of women are beyond anything I could imagine. They are a gregarious bunch of ladies (yes Jumble I am using that word again) and so much more than my humble words can explain. With open hearts and arms, they took me in without the least bit of hestitation. They offered friendship and so many hugs I couldn't keep track.

This group of Woohoos come from all over the world. They have different backgrounds and friends and interests but they all come together under one very important title - they are the Woohoos! They care not about your religion, your race, your age, or any of the "so called" important items thatmasquerade as methods of selecting your piers. Instead, their one criteria is basically a smile. Yes, you read it right, a SMILE. They smile at you and all they ask for is a smile back. And then come the hugs.

I grew up in a family that rarely hugged. All though they were loving people, once I got above being 10 or so, my mother was the only one to hug me just to hug. Oh there was the obligatory hug when you arrived or left someone house, but they had little meaning to me. And, they offered very little.

So, when I came to AT3 totally alone, I was completely caught off guard when Amanda didn't even pay attention to the hand I put out and just gave me a hug. A hug. No rhyme, no reason, it was just the way she looked at life. And most everyone took their que from Amanda. It was quite lovely, but odd and strange for me. This same phenomena continued through AT4 and TSE in Vancouver. However, none of this prepared me for the Woohoos and AT5.

My Woohoo friends, and they are all that and so much more, opened their hearts and arms out to me from the moment I met them online. However, I was ill prepared to meet so many of them during this AT5 excursion. I was overwhelmed by their kindness, generousity and opened arms. From the moment I met them up front and close, they hugged, laughed and shared with me, no hesitation, no second thought, just open hearted hugging and caring.

Now, if there is a leader of this group of wonderful people, it would have to be Jumble. Jumble, my friend, you are a standout among standouts. Maybe it happens because of your large and loving heart for all the children you care for. Maybe it is because of the life you have lived and will live. I really don't know and to be honest it doesn't matter. You my friend define the word LADY! I know you don't like that word, but that is because you have never really heard the definition. To me a "Lady" like yourself is someone who leads because of their heart (so large it can take in everyone), their kindness (so generous you offer without being asked) and so kind (you include everyone no matter who they are). Oh yes, you have your quirks, but that's one of the reasons that makes you special. Right now I can only think of one other person that equals that definition and that is Amanda Tapping.

So now, my friend, as I have totally embarrassed you from afar, I want to say thank you for including me in those most gracious hugs. For putting up with me for the week I stayed at your house. And for including me in with all the other woohoos.

Well, now that I have expressed my thoughts (and not one picture or symbol was used!) I will go back to my life, happier, still feeling the warmth that everyone expressed to me and to all. Thank you WOOHOOS! You have made my day, my week, etc. THANK YOU so very much!

(And please note, my editor (JUMBLE) never got a chance to correct any of my spelling or punctuation errors)!
                      sigpic

Comment

Awwww! Laurie! You just made me cry And I agree with every word you said. The Woohoos are a very special group of people, and you are as much a part of that group as anyone. *squishy huggles*

I think it's no surprise that the Woohoos found AT5 such a wonderful experience en masse, as the Woohoo spirit is just the same as that of Amanda and of all the rest of Amanda's fans - loving, giving, generous, caring and huggy
                        sigpic
                        Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                          That is so kind of you to say. Based on that, I am sure you will fit in at AT6 just fine.

I started off lurking as well and wasn't until AT3 that I jumped in. Keep hanging around as the thread continues to be active between AT events. I expect speculation to start about the date of AT6 any time now.
                          Ah yes AT3, I remember our first meeting, both of us being Canadian swooped in on Rderoch who was wearing a T-shirt that said "I survived Canada"...What a way to break the ice
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                            I realize that AT5 is all about Amanda (rightfully so) and giving to these wonderful causes as it should be. However, this trip became so much more. I usually write about the event and what happens, but sharper minds them mine have done just that and quite beautifully I might add. So I want to write about something a little different this time.

In spite of what most people might think, I am basically an observer of life. I like to watch and notice the reactions of others while I stand back and reflect upon it all. Sometimes I incorporate what I see in my writings, but even more, I put it into this vast wasteland called by brain to reflect and live over again and again. Generally, it all unravels and reveals itself in my imagination - my most proud obsession.

But the 12 days I spent this time turned out to be so very different and for one reason - the WOOHOOS! This fantastic group of women are beyond anything I could imagine. They are a gregarious bunch of ladies (yes Jumble I am using that word again) and so much more than my humble words can explain. With open hearts and arms, they took me in without the least bit of hestitation. They offered friendship and so many hugs I couldn't keep track.

This group of Woohoos come from all over the world. They have different backgrounds and friends and interests but they all come together under one very important title - they are the Woohoos! They care not about your religion, your race, your age, or any of the "so called" important items thatmasquerade as methods of selecting your piers. Instead, their one criteria is basically a smile. Yes, you read it right, a SMILE. They smile at you and all they ask for is a smile back. And then come the hugs.

I grew up in a family that rarely hugged. All though they were loving people, once I got above being 10 or so, my mother was the only one to hug me just to hug. Oh there was the obligatory hug when you arrived or left someone house, but they had little meaning to me. And, they offered very little.

So, when I came to AT3 totally alone, I was completely caught off guard when Amanda didn't even pay attention to the hand I put out and just gave me a hug. A hug. No rhyme, no reason, it was just the way she looked at life. And most everyone took their que from Amanda. It was quite lovely, but odd and strange for me. This same phenomena continued through AT4 and TSE in Vancouver. However, none of this prepared me for the Woohoos and AT5.

My Woohoo friends, and they are all that and so much more, opened their hearts and arms out to me from the moment I met them online. However, I was ill prepared to meet so many of them during this AT5 excursion. I was overwhelmed by their kindness, generousity and opened arms. From the moment I met them up front and close, they hugged, laughed and shared with me, no hesitation, no second thought, just open hearted hugging and caring.

Now, if there is a leader of this group of wonderful people, it would have to be Jumble. Jumble, my friend, you are a standout among standouts. Maybe it happens because of your large and loving heart for all the children you care for. Maybe it is because of the life you have lived and will live. I really don't know and to be honest it doesn't matter. You my friend define the word LADY! I know you don't like that word, but that is because you have never really heard the definition. To me a "Lady" like yourself is someone who leads because of their heart (so large it can take in everyone), their kindness (so generous you offer without being asked) and so kind (you include everyone no matter who they are). Oh yes, you have your quirks, but that's one of the reasons that makes you special. Right now I can only think of one other person that equals that definition and that is Amanda Tapping.

So now, my friend, as I have totally embarrassed you from afar, I want to say thank you for including me in those most gracious hugs. For putting up with me for the week I stayed at your house. And for including me in with all the other woohoos.

Well, now that I have expressed my thoughts (and not one picture or symbol was used!) I will go back to my life, happier, still feeling the warmth that everyone expressed to me and to all. Thank you WOOHOOS! You have made my day, my week, etc. THANK YOU so very much!

(And please note, my editor (JUMBLE) never got a chance to correct any of my spelling or punctuation errors)!
                            I greened you, but I wanted to say, publically, that you are amazing. And this was written with pure WooHoo spirit, you are very much part of that group.. I love you guys!

But still mostly speechless, that brought tears to my eyes - in a good way!

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                            Awwww! Laurie! You just made me cry And I agree with every word you said. The Woohoos are a very special group of people, and you are as much a part of that group as anyone. *squishy huggles*

I think it's no surprise that the Woohoos found AT5 such a wonderful experience en masse, as the Woohoo spirit is just the same as that of Amanda and of all the rest of Amanda's fans - loving, giving, generous, caring and huggy
                            *huggles WooHoos*
                            sigpic
                            Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

I can't take credit (or the blame ) for the WooHoos' behaviour, for they are all very lovely and unique ladies, and I wood be nothing without them I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with me Laurie and that we helped make AT5 memorable for you in a good way You're every bit a WooHoo yourself - kind, generous and open-hearted - and I am very proud to call you my friend *hugs*

But seriously, you can't compare me to Amanda She is one of a kind!

*resists urge to edit spelling and grammatical errors*

Last edited by Jumble; 21 February 2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Oh Laurie, what a beautiful, heartfelt and equally heartwarming post. You are a dear, dear friend and I feel truly honoured to know you and all the Woohoos, Samandans and Gabiteers that I have met over my relatively short con experiences. May all your lives be filled with hugs, smiles and equally wonderful friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X