GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    This time at the photo op, I was met by Elaine who was hugging for a 1GBP donation to S4K. I pulled out my money and got my hug. Julia had been seated behind Elaine and she came forward for another hug. Gave her some money, as I gave her more than Elaine then Elainy e said she wanted more money! I duly complied and got another hug.
    No Sharon, you have it all wrong!!

I very clearly remember you arriving at the front of the queue with money already in your hand for which you promptly got the hug. Then when you realised the error of your ways about giving more money to Julia, you simply corrected your mistake and turned around to hand me the extra cash - for which you got the second hug...

I cannot recall asking you for money at all over the weekend!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Kit Kat Lady View Post
      No Sharon, you have it all wrong!!

I very clearly remember you arriving at the front of the queue with money already in your hand for which you promptly got the hug. Then when you realised the error of your ways about giving more money to Julia, you simply corrected your mistake and turned around to hand me the extra cash - for which you got the second hug...

I cannot recall asking you for money at all over the weekend!!
      Well, I am old and tend to forget. I'm sure your version is correct.

I have to say that when I saw your name (having posted on the thread) my hand went instinctively to my pocket for cash!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

For those of you who don't check out the GABIT thread, here is the link to my photos from the weekend.

Please do not repost or use them without my permission. Thank you.

I'm pretty!

*edit* Wow. Head injury. I though I had posted this in the Samandan thread.
        Last edited by antoa; 20 February 2011, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
          Me too! I keep hugging my flatmate every time I see her. She's starting to think I've been possessed.
          I keep hugging my housemate too. He is getting more and more concerned.

I made up for it by rugby tackling him.

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
          I didn't read all the posts, but wanted to respond to this: I'm no great hugger either. And I have been to 3 gabits!! Lol. I have no problem hugging people at cons, because everyone is doing it. But in RL I don't hug. It's just not common over here and I was not brought up that way.

I was actually talking with my sister about it the other day. That we have physical contact with so little people in our lives. We don't even hug (and we're great sisters!) .. it's just the way it is over here. I hope to change it with my daughter though

PS: no need to butt out
          You'd never know you didn't hug much...you hug like a pro

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
          LOL, I must have missed that!

Awww cute! Speaking of the bear, I was wondering does anyone have a photo of Amanda hugging him that they wouldn't mind me having? Its just by that point my camera had ran out of battery, I wouldn't use it online anywhere it would just be for my digital photo frame. If not no worries.

Oh and need to show you all my new shiny, my new avatar kindly made for me by Ambermoon *hugs her* And my new sig made by me.

Julia(samcarterrules)
          I'll email you some...and you can have any in my FB album...I'll email you the originals.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          Julia S asked how people feel after an AT event and I have been thinking about that. After the first event I came away relieved to be prefectly honest. I was concerned about what a convention would be like given the common stereotype and some stories I had heard. I suspected AT would be wonderful and very entertaining (and she was) but I was not prepared to be so impressed by the fans and the Gabit folk. I have often said that if my second con experience (a Creation event) had been my first, it would have been my last. Instead AT3 became the first of many Gabit events since and, I hope, many more to come.

I was raised to appreciate the fact that I am blessed to have the love and support of family and friends, that I have never known poverty or war and that have many advantages that others, especially females, do not have because of where I live. I was also raised to give to others whenever and wherever possible. So I cannot say that AT or Gabit events have inspired me to give (my parents took care of that) but they do help me to carry on. Sometimes it can be discouraging when you see the news (which is usually bad) or see how so many squander their blessings (hello Charlie Sheen). Amanda, Gabit and my fellow fans remind me that the world is more good than bad and that the actions of one person can make a difference. Better yet, they show that the actions of a few can make a huge difference. So while I went away from AT3 just happy to know my fellow fans were normal, I have come away from AT4 and AT5 reinvigorated and rededicated to doing whatever I can to help others.

My thanks to AT for leading us all by example, to the G4 and their team for their tireless efforts to make sure the world is a better place and to my fellow fans for their generosity and spirit.
          Normal? lol

I know what you mean about the reinvigorated though. My line of work has a lot of cynical people in it. Cynical people who used to think they could make the world a better place and who desperately wanted to, but had that enthusiasm worm and chipped away by years in a system of such limited resources and tight controls. I never want to become cynical. Gabit events feel like hitting reset on the feeling that I really can make the world a better place...even just a little bit better is enough.
          sigpic
          Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
          My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
            I may have bear photos hon, I haven't had a chance to unpack my camera yet!
            I'll let you know what treasures I uncover when I do
            PS: love the sig!

Okay, off to church now -- *waves*
            Originally posted by Jumble View Post
            You're welcome to this one Julia

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg122/jumble65/AT5/th_AT5Jumpics11.jpg
            (click for bigger)
            Originally posted by llp View Post
            Here are 3 pictures - help yourself
            Snipped...
            Thanks everyone *hugs*

Julia(samcarterrules)
            sigpic
            Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

I can't MQ on my phone very efficiently, but first: *hugs*

Just a note: skiing the busiest weekend of the year =crazy. When the conditions are bad = suicidal!

Julia I have some good bear hug photos I'd be happy to email you.

EH-T I came to AT5 with some of the trepidations you had at AT3- having seen too much fangirl drama at the last con I went to. It was wonderful to discover, almost immediately, that this was a completely different kind of con.

I was also raised to give, but the extent of the giving last weekend was astonishing, both on the financial & personal level. I'm still ?? I guess the only word is gobsmacked, isn't it?

Sitting in the lodge nursing an owie while the friend gets in a last couple of runs. So much for an easy last run after my lesson! Go back to the greens, get tackled from behind by an out of control beginner. End the day of skiing!

*hugs everyone again*
              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                I would like to help myself to Amanda's boots.

Any of them would do, I think she has a wardrobe dedicated to them.
                This. I'm a sucker for boots though!

I have to say, I agree with what everyone says about a Gabit con. I'm actually a bit reluctant to ever attend one of any other kind ever again! It's just miles and miles different in the best way possible.
                sigpic
                Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                  For those of you who don't check out the GABIT thread, here is the link to my photos from the weekend.

Please do not repost or use them without my permission. Thank you.

[URL="http://amandaraesmith.com/gallery/AT5"]I'm pretty![/URL]
                  That you are.

And I mean that in the literal, you are a lovely person, context. Not the AT, I'm an airhead, version. I think that was her funniest joke of the weekend.

Comment

I never thought I would ever attend a science fiction conference. For one thing, I didn't know they even existed and for another I didn't know there were different "kinds".

But, when I heard about AT3 and heard GABIT was the "absolute best in the world" from several sources, I was intrigued and encouraged to attend AT4 by some friends. Encouraged meaning "semi-forced" and badgered. We had a very strong, personal reason for sending one of us to see a Stargate person in person. I was nominated and saw AT4 as that chance. Plus, it coincided with my college reunion.

Much to my surprise I had a really relaxed and fun time at AT4 and got to meet some amazing people. I had so much fun in fact, I decided to go to AT5 of my own free will! Again, I had a great time and got to meet some amazing people. Even with a dreadful, panic-filled trip home, I had a good time.

I won't ever know if GABIT is the "best in the world" or not as I will never attend any other type of event. From comparisons others have made, I'll take their word GABIT is so much better. I may or may not even attend another GABIT event, but I will cherish these memories always. And, I will appreciate all of the their work to make such a fun weekend for others. If I do attend an event, it will be a GABIT one.

And on this trip, I got to go curling in Scotland and England!!!!! And get reaquainted with more friends from college and see their families 25 years later. And see Hadrian's Wall. And meet one of the most famous people in the curling world and not even know it at the time. (Yes, I'm a clueless idiot )And get lots of hugs, which were all very unexpected. And have people "know" me out of the blue. I thank GABIT as much for all these things as I do for the conference.

I'm not much of a hugger either. But, I did spontaneously hug my very surprised cabbie when he got me to downtown London and back to Heathrow in less than an hour. I think we set a land-speed record. Or had a time dilation device in the car.

You can't beat a trip like that

Thank you GABIT.

Comment

MoB Thank you! I'll PM you my addy.

You guys know how we've talking about Ivis the bear today, well after talking with Julia(G4) and she has given her blessing for me to share the story behind my bringing Ivis home.

On the day of the auction Julia had to return home to be with her dog Cassie, when Julia returned to the Ren for the auction, very sadly she'd had to put Cassie to sleep. When Ivis came up for auction, Julia wanted to do something in Cassie's memory and so very selth-like (Sam and Helen would have been proud I tell you lol) started nodding her bids Sue as she sat on the edge of the stage, leaving Amanda very confused as to who was bidding hehehe! When the bidding came to an end Julia had won Ivis.

To my great surprised, shock and delight Julia took him from Amanda and came over and handed him to me!!

Now isn't that the heart of AT5, that even in one of the hardest and personal losses, Julia was still giving and thinking of others. Both the charities who got the money and myself, I got Ivis. This then enabled me to raise even more money with Ivis by you guys donating to hug him.

Julia my dear friend you are such inspiration! Every time I hug/look at Ivis I will think your beloved Cassie. *hugs*

Love human or animal knows no bounds. <3

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Awww Julia that is so heartbreaking and amazing all at the same time.

and *hugs* for Julia on the loss of Cassie.
                        sigpic
                        Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

*more hugs*

I spent some time this morning chatting about AT5 ... the phrase that kept popping to my lips was 'one ripple at a time' -- so simple a concept, and yet at the same time, so mind-staggering. I have a feeling this is going to be a personal motto for a long while to come!

Perhaps that should be the AT6 name - Ripples?
                          *catches the fainting JuliaR, passes over more chocolate *

Every event I'm astounded at how much good a small group of dedicated, loving people can manage to do ... and I share that with anyone who will listen My (funky semi-hybrid of an) accent is almost all gone, but my love for all of you and what we accomplish, again and again, refuses to fade! I am blessed to have found you, and to be counted amongst your number

...not to mention receive the most eyebrow-raising nicknames and gather amusing anecdotes when I spend time with all y'all! (Yes, I reenacted my curling attempts again this am, to the amusement of my class )

Others have put it more eloquently than my sleep-deprived mind can muster up atm (JuliaR, Eh-T, samcarterrules, and many others pop to mind, dang the fridge for being out of green ), but there you have it... and Titta - don't ever get cynical hon!

I also found myself quoting Julia's call to find an inspirational leader and follow her, as you will then become a leader to others in your own right ... and it still made sense. Then again, to be fair, excellent advice usually does!

I miss everyone already, though I'm doing well to keep the warm fuzzies going
                          And I haven't even cracked open my photos yet!
                          ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                          ames on facebook
                          ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Aww, ((((both Julias)))). What an amazing thing to do. The love and generosity coming out of this event just keep astounding me.
                            sigpic
                            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

*giant squishy huggles both Julias*

Lovely story, Julia SCR. I have 5 excellent bear-hug shots, just let me know where to send them.

JuliaR I'm amazed how together you were! I was a wreck when I put my cat down in December. I hope you had a good cry and lots of love and are doing better.

*hugs all GABIT thread peeps, just because*
                              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                                On the day of the auction Julia had to return home to be with her dog Cassie, when Julia returned to the Ren for the auction, very sadly she'd had to put Cassie to sleep. When Ivis came up for auction, Julia wanted to do something in Cassie's memory and so very selth-like (Sam and Helen would have been proud I tell you lol) started nodding her bids Sue as she sat on the edge of the stage, leaving Amanda very confused as to who was bidding hehehe!
                                LOL
                                I thought it was funny how Amanda tried to figure out who was bidding. Eagle eyes scanning the room but since Julia was behind her, she had no chance of actually catching her bidding.

Comment

Working...
                                X