No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look what Neep send me!!! All kinds of cute babystuff ... and an insect ... lol.

*click for bigger*

Also a kiwi, with real kiwisound (sounds terrible .. hehe). Am I the only one who didn't know kiwi's are an animal? I thought it was a reference to the fruit

THANK YOU Eileen and Emma!!!! I'll send you a pic once she's big enough to wear it!

Milou is now often wearing things and playing with things she got at her virtual baby shower. It's all so cute!!

Some random pics, cause I'm a proud mommy

And one with Sinterklaas, that's a childrens holiday we celebrate at december 5th.
    sigpic

Comment

Kiwi birds are called that because of their resemblance to the fruit.

And cute pics!

Comment

*waves to everyone*

Thanks for saying hi even if you don't know who I am hehe!

Last time I was around Gateworld consistently was probably in 05/06 when I hung out in the Samanda and Sam/Jack ship threads a LOT - then I was involved with Sanctuary a lot in the very early days too but RL ate me for a couple of years!

I just got back into Sanctuary recently and well, the Stargate love never goes away does it?

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
          Look what Neep send me!!! All kinds of cute babystuff ... and an insect ... lol.

<snipped>

Also a kiwi, with real kiwisound (sounds terrible .. hehe). Am I the only one who didn't know kiwi's are an animal? I thought it was a reference to the fruit
          Very sweet pics of Milou! Looking forward to meeting her in person in a few weeks time.

I saw a real Kiwi when I was visiting NZ a few months back at a Preserve out of Wellington as they are endangered. They're nocturnal so we had to use these special flashlights and be verrry quiet while we listened in the undergrowth for any sign of their movement. Their call is quite distinctive, and once you hear it, you simply never forget. It was quite an extraordinary night as most Kiwi people never even see one in the wild.

Oh, and the toy. I have one, too. So cute!

Originally posted by antoa View Post

And cute pics!
          No they're not.

Comment

Glad they arrived safely Lies I love the photo of the cat having a bit of a smoosh I can't remember what type of kiwi that is... is it a brown kiwi or a little spotted kiwi (my email address and online name for years)?. Conservation workers call them "little spots." The insect is a weta. Because the woodpile is outside my room, I will often find wetas in my room or shower... again they are endangered so it is very bad form to squish a weta I wanted to introduce Milou to some beautiful New Zealand creatures

And cute pics!
            Haha! If anything, it's the other way around. Kiwi is the Maori word for the bird which has been around a lot longer than the fruit, which was called a Chinese gooseberry until NZ exporters renamed it in the 1960's. Now (as I found out in Europe last year) even Chinese gooseberries grown in Italy are called kiwifruit or kiwis. The birds are endangered nearly to the point of extinction, but with predator free islands and sanctuaries, there are more around then a few years ago. When Cel and Chelle were here, we were lucky enough to not only hear a breeding pair call to each other (the sound the toy makes ) but we got to see a little spot in her natural habitat She snuffled around a bit, then decided to run up a bank, wiggling her little bum for us

Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
              They're nocturnal so we had to use these special flashlights and be verrry quiet while we listened in the undergrowth for any sign of their movement.
              Can you imagine a Neep and a Chelle being veeeery quiet?
              Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                I seem to recall a lot of 'hushing' going round and quite a bit of muffled giggles as we tried to stay warm while searching so diligently along the footpaths. Everything is funny when you're supposed to be quiet.

Comment

I knew it was one way or the other. Should have left it to the expert

Comment

i knew it was one way or the other. Should have left it to the expert
                    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Hey!! I can be quiet...sometimes. I found a Kiwi remember. Little bugger was having a leisurely walk in front of me but as soon as I called whispered everyone over he decide to disappear...but the ranger lady saw him too. But wow...that was cool. Awesome fun and memories that night.
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Very sweet pics of Milou! Looking forward to meeting her in person in a few weeks time.

I saw a real Kiwi when I was visiting NZ a few months back at a Preserve out of Wellington as they are endangered. They're nocturnal so we had to use these special flashlights and be verrry quiet while we listened in the undergrowth for any sign of their movement. Their call is quite distinctive, and once you hear it, you simply never forget. It was quite an extraordinary night as most Kiwi people never even see one in the wild.

Oh, and the toy. I have one, too. So cute!

No they're not.
                        I wonder if this is how "snipe hunts" came to be.
                        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                        William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                        Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                          I wonder if this is how "snipe hunts" came to be.
                          Ah, but we knew the Kiwi were there somewhere unlike the elusive snipes.

Comment

Ah, but we knew the Kiwi were there somewhere unlike the elusive snipes.
                            Actually we think it's funny to make forn'rs creep around in the dark in winter... we were totally surprised to see a kiwi had made it into the snipe hunt enclosure.
                            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                              Spoiled for lenght...
                              Spoiler:
                              I have scheduled the Samandan Chocolate party on my working schedule. It never appears on the main schedule and there are reasons why which I will explain. At the moment it is scheduled for 3.20 to 4.15 on the Saturday. It follows something special on screen in the main hall and while the photo session is on. Anyone organising it (Neep for example) can ask Liesl (the attendee liaison) to ensure that she has her photo before the chocolate party. I have also reserved the same bar area as last time.

With regard to the fact that it is a "Samandan" chocolate party. This was how it started, as a group of Samandans who plotted it on here, but it has never been exclusive in that anyone who wants to take part can, provided they contact the organiser (Neep) beforehand. This keeps the numbers to a manageable level for the hotel and the area we have reserved. It simply is not possible to find a separate room for this, although we have tried various alternatives over the last few events, but the bar area alcove proved the most popular and most accessible. Often there are groups from separate Amanda related forums who arrange to meet at our Events in one capacity or another. I personally don't think it is devisive to call it a "Samandan" chocolate party provided allcomers are welcome, but it is your thing and so your decision. The reason it is not advertised on the schedule is that it then becomes an official part of the event and you would be swamped by people wanting to take part, and frankly, 250 people consuming chocolate in the bar area would be impossible. It is however "unofficially" scheduled and booked for you if you want to hold it.

And in answer to Chelle, as Mumsey said, we welcome donations for the auctions. What you have sounds fab and I would be pleased to discuss it with you after AT5!

Take care everyone,

Julia
                              G4
                              Thank Julia for being waaay ahead of us. Sounds like you've thought about everything! And thanks for making the reservation of the bar area again. It was very cozy last time, not only heaps of chocolate there were also heaps of people enjoying said chocolate.
                              And thanks guys for making it clear this is indeed for everyone willing to participate

And Lies, thanks for sharing pics again, love the ones with the cat!

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post

[IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/SamJackShipLover/Prive/Milou/10-12/th__1774.jpg
                                *click for bigger*

THANK YOU Eileen and Emma!!!! I'll send you a pic once she's big enough to wear it!

Milou is now often wearing things and playing with things she got at her virtual baby shower. It's all so cute!!

Some random pics, cause I'm a proud mommy

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/SamJackShipLover/Prive/Milou/10-12/th_IMG_1771.jpg [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/SamJackShipLover/Prive/Milou/10-12/th_IMG_1770.jpg http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/SamJackShipLover/Prive/Milou/10-12/th_DSCF9053.jpg [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/SamJackShipLover/Prive/Milou/10-12/th_IMG_1759.jpg

And one with Sinterklaas, that's a childrens holiday we celebrate at december 5th.
                                [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/SamJackShipLover/Prive/Milou/10-12/th_IMG_1754.jpg
                                She is sooo cute.

Originally posted by myblackrose View Post
                                *waves to everyone*

Thanks for saying hi even if you don't know who I am hehe!

Last time I was around Gateworld consistently was probably in 05/06 when I hung out in the Samanda and Sam/Jack ship threads a LOT - then I was involved with Sanctuary a lot in the very early days too but RL ate me for a couple of years!

I just got back into Sanctuary recently and well, the Stargate love never goes away does it?
                                I do remember your screen name, just don't think we've met before. We'll change that at AT5

Actually, no.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X