No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, with sadness, I must say that I'll not be able to attend AT5. 2012 is looking more likely of a time for me to visit the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      TSE was also in canadian/american dollars

so 50-100 pounds was 100-200 dollars

I think it also makes a difference, well if you're in a country with a more friendly money (as in many of the attendees were canadians/americans so it was cheaper for us in canada than it was in the UK) so they had more money to spend

That's the biggest reason I'm not doing AT5, I just can't swing a 1-2000 weekend by the time you factor in air fare, hotel, con tickets and food with the us-uk exchange rate.

it's massively expensive for UK folks, twice as expensive for americans, canadians and aussies
      I'd hazard to say for Aussies and those from NZ it's about triple or even quadruple the cost. My airfare from Chicago might cost around $800 or so, but for them it's up in the $2000+...and that's me figuring in USD.

I vote for AT6 we meet in the middle between the two. Right smack dab somewhere in the middle of the US or Canada. Problem solved.

Comment

Nah, somewhere far from everywhere to make it fair. I vote Fiji!
        Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Hah, you're closer to Fiji than any of us will ever be. Short flight and presto, squishing your toes in pink sand before we even get a chance to board our flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
            I'd hazard to say for Aussies and those from NZ it's about triple or even quadruple the cost. My airfare from Chicago might cost around $800 or so, but for them it's up in the $2000+...and that's me figuring in USD.

I vote for AT6 we meet in the middle between the two. Right smack dab somewhere in the middle of the US or Canada. Problem solved.
            Ok, but if you're moving AT6 out of the UK I vote we have the next SE here! It's only fair

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
            Nah, somewhere far from everywhere to make it fair. I vote Fiji!

Comment

I don't mind AT6 etc being held in the UK...there's just something significantly special about having it at the Ren and it's a good excuse for me to visit family in Germany while skimming across the water to meet everyone at the event. It gives me a chance to escape my country....even if it means I can only do that every 3 years-ish or so with lots of begging to the hubby. He knows I'm planning on attending AT6 in a couple of years...so he's already officially warned that I'm off traversing the world again. Only problem now is how to convince him it's a good idea for me to go to Canada one day for an SE event...but that's not likely to happen for at least 5 years.
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

the sad thing is, no matter where it's held, it won't work for about 30% of folks that'd like to attend.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                  BTW, as for that bottle....milk of course.
                  You will be happy to know then that I'm not breastfeeding

But Milou doesn't wake up during the night anymore, stopped doing that at 6 weeks orso and now she sleeps even longer than we do. So, I appreciate your offer, but not neccesary hehe

*hugs Ames*

Sorry to hear you won't be able to attend MamaSue!
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, there are many options for those of us with less deep pocketbooks - as Eh-T mentioned, I am the Queen of the Buttons (you will always hear me coming *clacks*) and I've had really successful runs with the selling of the bluey goodness (hence the Twitter name ) ... which reminds me, I need to check in with the lovely Gabit folk to find out whether/how they would prefer that done this time around... *makes note to self*

At the AT events, the Hearing Dogs also usually have a booth in the dealer's room where you can purchase items directly from them, and there's great things to be had in the general raffle as well! Oh and of course, the 'tea with Amanda' raffle, presuming we're having that again

Remember if you're coming from afar, and planning on bidding on items, that you will need to figure out how to get them home again - so at the very least try to leave some space in your suitcase I had quite the adventure getting Becks' helmet home from AT4 Security at Montreal was a treat ... ah the memories LOL! On a personal note, AirCanada was pretty awesome in that regard - I told them I had won a charity auction item, and they labelled the box as fragile and allowed me to bring it as an extra carry-on for no extra charge, so it's always worth asking!

I agree with Sky - b/c Amanda and the Gabit team are so awesome *hugs* there will be fans trying to attend from all over the world, so regardless of where the event is held, some will be closer and some further away. Heck, TSE was in Canada, and it cost me as much to fly to Vancouver as it does to Heathrow That's another story though... And as chelle and Midwife mentioned, I make a holiday out of mine. Go for 10 days, visit with friends in the country, see a few sites, and there ya go! Of course, this also means I'm on a pretty strict daily budget while I'm there, but totally worth it, IMO!

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it MamaSue - perhaps next time?
                    SJSL - thx for the hugs, muchly appreciated!

Chelle - keep me in the loop for that Canada visit, eh? *gets next tackle hug ready in anticipation* I also provide airport pickup/drop-off and general entertainment for no extra charge so long as you travel during Mon-Thurs ...Just sayin' *grin*
                    ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                    ames on facebook
                    ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

SE has to be held in vancouver. how else could they get as many of the cast/crew to come? it just wouldn't work anywhere else. that's probably why the gabit staff was willing to trek across the puddle and do all that work out of their familiar territory. besides, vancouver is a beautiful place. i look forward to the scenery almostas much as to the event itself. the pacific northwest is one of my favorite areas of the country(even tho i didn't see any moose). and, i've never been out of the country before at4(canada doesn't feel like another country because i've been there so many times,and it's still north america)so it was a real adventure for me to cross the puddle for the 1st time. and then to stay in iceland for a few days afterwards was an even bigger thrill for me. i'd wanted to go there for many, many years, and finally it was the perfect chance since it was practically on the way home. i only wish i had the time and finances to see more of this beautiful world that God created. so going across the puddle for at 5 + hopefully 6 is fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
                        SE has to be held in vancouver. how else could they get as many of the cast/crew to come? it just wouldn't work anywhere else. that's probably why the gabit staff was willing to trek across the puddle and do all that work out of their familiar territory. besides, vancouver is a beautiful place. i look forward to the scenery almostas much as to the event itself. the pacific northwest is one of my favorite areas of the country(even tho i didn't see any moose). and, i've never been out of the country before at4(canada doesn't feel like another country because i've been there so many times,and it's still north america)so it was a real adventure for me to cross the puddle for the 1st time. and then to stay in iceland for a few days afterwards was an even bigger thrill for me. i'd wanted to go there for many, many years, and finally it was the perfect chance since it was practically on the way home. i only wish i had the time and finances to see more of this beautiful world that God created. so going across the puddle for at 5 + hopefully 6 is fine for me.
                        I quite agree with everything you've said. We were more or less just having fun with the possibility, but I wouldn't want AT events or TSE to be any other place in the world. I love planning and going to Europe and Vancouver, as you have said, is such a beautiful spot besides being home or in close approximation for many of the guest to travel to. I'll never get tired of either place and it seems with each event, I'm expanding my travels and sightseeing just a bit further.

Comment

I'm sure vancouver has a MASSIVE advantage in that, it's much easier for the cast and crew to attend and donate their time when they're also not dealing with hotel bills and the such.

it's the most financially efficient place to hold a multi actor con based around a show shooting htere....the very same reason the best Gatecons were in vancouver

sigpic

Comment

Oh good grief! Like Cel said, we were joking, just playing with the idea

Wood I like to have the next TSE in England? Heck yes! Do I think there's a snowball's chance in heck of it ever happening? Of course not! But it's a nice daydream for us UKers to have

Comment

of course it's just for fun

just like me wishing they'd have the next con in kansas city

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                of course it's just for fun
                                Phew! For a minute I thought I'd set off a serious discussion, and that's just not the WooHoo way

just like me wishing they'd have the next con in kansas city
                                Hm. How far is that from Vancouver? Because you never know..............

Comment

Working...
                                X