No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With con crud, another factor is all the foreigners and their foreign germs that your system is not used to. If you are traveling from out of the country I would also avoid tap water because every country has different ways of processing it and different bacteria is present which would be harmless to people that have grown up with it, but might not be good for someone whose system has not built up a tolerance for it.

I've come down with con crud, but not after every con I've been to. The worst for me seemed to be the Vegas con because of the air conditioning in the hotels and the contrast of the extreme heat outside (August) plus everyone smoking everywhere there!

Comment

i know the UK water upsets my stomach. gota stick to bottled water or my tummy gets upset
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

the water didn't seem to bother me in the uk or iceland, but i do remember coming down with a head cold the day i left england to iceland. maybe it was con crud, i remember i was taking a lot of vitamins and the "airborne" stuff. i don't usually bother taking that kind of stuff. maybe my body was in shock from getting vitamins. who knows. you know, you can pick up stuff anywhere you're around lots of people...at work, shopping, at the movies,etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
          I must say, you're not exactly selling the whole convention experience to me there!

Thanks for the explanation.

I think I'll spend the better part of January boosting my immune system with zinc and vitamin C, and stock up on the echinacea for afters.
          If if makes you feel any better, I've been to 13 cons (just counted ) and have yet to get ill. I've got a baker's dozen! 4 of them have involved air travel and been out of the country. 4 of them were during cold and flu season. Most folks come away fine. Go! Enjoy!

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
          of course, gabit was way ahead of us at AT4. they included a little pack of kleenex and a little bottle of hand sanitizer amongst the goodies in the bag we get at registration. the panic of "swine flu" was in full force during at4 and my doctor recommended i use that "airborne" stuff to use during the trip since the "swine flu" shots weren't available yet here.
          I bought airborne before I flew for the first time, and never took it. It expired without ever being opened.
          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
          Anon

Comment

I got a nasty cold at AT4, but my throat was hurting a wee bit at heathrow so it could have started during my 30 hours on aeroplanes
            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

I've never had a problem with the water in developed countries. Best way to avoid the heebie jeebies is excellent hand washing. Though sometimes it's unavoidable! Given my line of work, I'm an obsessive handwasher and I am just now recovering from the worst bug I've had in years.
              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                I've never had a problem with the water in developed countries. Best way to avoid the heebie jeebies is excellent hand washing. Though sometimes it's unavoidable! Given my line of work, I'm an obsessive handwasher and I am just now recovering from the worst bug I've had in years.
                Yeah, I think if you're in North America (except Mexico), the UK, Western Europe or Down Under, there really isn't anything to worry about. Now Mexico, Asia, South America or Africa, I think I'd stick to bottled water (or beer ). There isn't a thing called Montezuma's revenge for nothing. In some parts of the world you shouldn't even brush your teeth with the local water. Lots of little microbes in tropical climes that we just aren't equipped to deal with.

I think you can over do it with handwashing/sanitizing though. There are certainly times that you should wash your hands or sanitize your hands. Especially people that work in the health care field since they're exposed to so many things, or people whose immune system is compromised by some other health problem. But, the average person shouldn't be washing/sanitizing more than a few times a day. You need to be exposed to small doses of germs to keep your immune system strong. It's like the obsession with sunscreen. If you're going to be out in the sun all day, sunscreen is important. But, you shouldn't be putting it on everytime you go outside. You need sun. Your body can't produce vitamin D without it. I rarely put on sunscreen. Living in a colder climate, my sun exposure is limited to spring/summer anyway.

Moderation is always the key to everything. I know people at work that are always sanitizing their phones and keyboards, even though they are the only ones that use them. Or they won't touch the doorknobs without a towel. And who is calling in sick? Not me.
                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post

I think you can over do it with handwashing/sanitizing though. There are certainly times that you should wash your hands or sanitize your hands. Especially people that work in the health care field since they're exposed to so many things, or people whose immune system is compromised by some other health problem. But, the average person shouldn't be washing/sanitizing more than a few times a day. You need to be exposed to small doses of germs to keep your immune system strong. It's like the obsession with sunscreen. If you're going to be out in the sun all day, sunscreen is important. But, you shouldn't be putting it on everytime you go outside. You need sun. Your body can't produce vitamin D without it. I rarely put on sunscreen. Living in a colder climate, my sun exposure is limited to spring/summer anyway.

Moderation is always the key to everything. I know people at work that are always sanitizing their phones and keyboards, even though they are the only ones that use them. Or they won't touch the doorknobs without a towel. And who is calling in sick? Not me.
                  re: bold. See user-handle.
                  sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

wash your hands after you use the toilet, blow your nose, etc. before you eat, or as needed

you don't need to be sanitizing your hands every hour on the hour

and honestly? your key board is often germier than your bathroom
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      and honestly? your key board is often germier than your bathroom
                      Not mine! I've a can of air for any stray hair or crumbs and moist towelettes for wiping all three down randomly. Very picky.

Uhm. Wait. My bathroom is clean, too! Honestly!

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                        Not mine! I've a can of air for any stray hair or crumbs and moist towelettes for wiping all three down randomly. Very picky.

Uhm. Wait. My bathroom is clean, too! Honestly!
                        It's true. Cel is very clean. You should see her when she's hiking and she gets a wee bit of mud on her pants Also, if a puppy crawls on her she has to go change her clothes.
                        Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                          It's true. Cel is very clean. You should see her when she's hiking and she gets a wee bit of mud on her pants Also, if a puppy crawls on her she has to go change her clothes.
                          So I'm a bit OCD.

I did smell like a fire too, lest you forget. Jammies were definitely a good thing at this point and not because of the puppy smell.

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                            I'll admit I've tried every trick in the book (and some not in the book), including one year, as some on here will remember, borrowing a mobility scooter from a dear attendee and sneaking up behind Amanda at the cocktail party and beeping the horn. She just turned around and smiled and went back to talking and I got stuck not able to get the thing into reverse as its wheel was stuck in the leg of her chair! Typical!

Hmmm...must think up some more "interesting" ways of "persuading" her to leave each table in a timely fashion at AT5! Starts plotting....

Glad it amuses you Debs!

Julia
                            G4

Up to her eyes in AT5 programme innards and plotting and planning many fun items for AT5....
                            Perhaps I could offer up some money for her to run to another table. I'll have to yell it quite loudly though as my seat this year is actually in the hallway.

BTW, sorry to hear about your shoulder problems. I had a friend with a frozen shoulder so I know how difficult it can be. The good news is it did clear up completely. Hope you are back to 100% soon. *Hugs*

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                            I must say, you're not exactly selling the whole convention experience to me there!

Thanks for the explanation.

I think I'll spend the better part of January boosting my immune system with zinc and vitamin C, and stock up on the echinacea for afters.
                            I have been to 5 cons now (wow, can't believe that) and have never been sick. Just do all the sensible things that have been suggested.

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                            Yeah, I think if you're in North America (except Mexico), the UK, Western Europe or Down Under, there really isn't anything to worry about. Now Mexico, Asia, South America or Africa, I think I'd stick to bottled water (or beer ). There isn't a thing called Montezuma's revenge for nothing. In some parts of the world you shouldn't even brush your teeth with the local water. Lots of little microbes in tropical climes that we just aren't equipped to deal with.

Everyone's water supply is different and our bodies adapt to our local supply. Therefore, when you travel abroad there is always the chance of getting sick because your system is not used to the water. Besides, this gives you (and most of this group) the perfect excuse to drink beer or wine instead.

Finally got around to booking my flights. I arrive early Wed morning and fly out the following Tuesday.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I am Still Here , But Time is Rare . Love To all of you >>>>>>>>>
                              CRAZY IRISH GUY :

Puddle Jumper Pilot- Sheppard - Asmir
                              Scientist - McKay - Shirt n' Tie
                              Scientist - Zalenka- Bar
                              Cook and able body - Ronon - Master Bray Tack .
                              Crazy Irish Guy Was Here .

Spoiler:
                              Are we Geeks or Nerds

Comment

sorry ,.,..

Bounce and hugs >>>>>
                                CRAZY IRISH GUY :

Puddle Jumper Pilot- Sheppard - Asmir
                                Scientist - McKay - Shirt n' Tie
                                Scientist - Zalenka- Bar
                                Cook and able body - Ronon - Master Bray Tack .
                                Crazy Irish Guy Was Here .

Spoiler:
                                Are we Geeks or Nerds

Comment

Working...
                                X