No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doikecarter - welcome to the thread! Don't worry about coming to the events on your own ... as the girls have mentioned before me, if you pop in here, you'll get to know a few of us online beforehand. There's usually a 'newbie' get-together on the Friday afternoon, aimed at first-time attendees. I know it can be intimidating to see people already grouped up in the lobby, but most of us won't bite - just sidle on up and introduce yourself! Before you get here though, there are two very important questions I must ask:
    1 - are you a huggy person? (B/c if you are, you are in for a real treat - Amanda gives an awesome hug!)
    2 - how do you feel about blue jello?
    1. Huggy person? My friends at work are trying to make me "huggy" so I´m not a huggy person....but I have a few months to practise and I´ll do my best for Amanda!.
    2. Blue jello....never tried it. So it´s obvious I need to go to expand my horizons.

I really, really want to go, so I´ll do my best to have fun

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
      Hi,

I was a "newbie" at AT4, had never been to any type of sci-fi convention before and haven't been since. I was amazed at the positive vibe to the whole weekend. And the sense of accomplishment when the final tally of funds raised over the weekend was amazing! As a fan of AT's, I think you'll love it since the whole weekend revolves around her and her charities. Just attend the Friday get together and wear your name tag around and people will likely come up to you to talk. Just be open and smile.

Meeting AT was fun and listening to the talks was good for laughs. Personally though, meeting one of the fan fiction writers I've read and admired was the highlight of my trip. I can't believe how starstruck and in awe I was when I learned who she was. She is quite the writer. I was definitely much more excited to meet and talk to her than AT (I hate to say :O). I was also tickled to talk with 3 other people who were remodeling their kitchen at the time.

I didn't meet everybody, but I met plenty of people. I didn't know how the auction worked, or the raffles, or the protocols of behavior, or lots of things. I just kind of followed the crowd and listened to the helpers. The main thing for me was to just relax and enjoy the moment.

This was the first time I had travelled after being very ill for a long time and the number one goal was relaxation. I did miss out on some of the "late-night" sessions in the lobby, but I read about them when I got back .

Hope this helps.
      Thanks for your words. I´ve been only to a Con. Mary McDonnell and EJ came to Spain last february and it was great and "easy". I mean: no big trip and I dragged my littles sister with me. She finally admitted she enjoyed more than she thought and she is currently watching Galactica herself. But I felt I played safe. So AT5 is really big for me, since I´m doing it for myself and by myself. You´ve given me a great idea since I do read lots and lots of fanfiction and I have to make a list with my favourite authors...just in case.

It´s good to be here

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
        Is that a rhetorical question?
        Yes. I figured you would be at the game (and of course I would know about it, it's hockey FCOL)

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by DOIKECARTER View Post
          1. Huggy person? My friends at work are trying to make me "huggy" so I´m not a huggy person....but I have a few months to practise and I´ll do my best for Amanda!.
          2. Blue jello....never tried it. So it´s obvious I need to go to expand my horizons.

I really, really want to go, so I´ll do my best to have fun
          Ah, usually (ast least in my experience) you don't have to try to have fun - it just sort of happens spontaneously!
          *giggles at memories from the pub ... and the lobby ... and the ball ... and the flying nubbins ... and the making of bluey goodness ... hehehe*

Amanda really does give great hugs -- or if hugging isn't your thing, she'll also shake your hand, or whatever you feel comfy with. There do seem to be quite a few 'huggy' people who attend these events, but it's not a rule! Oh, and don't mind Chelle's comment about my hugs (Miss you chelle!!! *sends virtual hugs*) -- I only tackle-hug those who should already be expecting it from me! And while her feet may have actually left the floor in that initial hug *whistles innocently*, at least I didn't end up wrestling in the lobby for tackle-hug supremacy... *looks in Tittamiire and NZNeep's directions - which is challenging to do, considering where they live in relation to me atm* LOL!

Blue jello. Right. Hopefully there should be copious amounts of it floating about the event again Yay for bluey goodness!!! So you'll definitely get the opportunity to try some
          ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
          ames on facebook
          ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
            Ah, usually (ast least in my experience) you don't have to try to have fun - it just sort of happens spontaneously!
            *giggles at memories from the pub ... and the lobby ... and the ball ... and the flying nubbins ... and the making of bluey goodness ... hehehe*

Amanda really does give great hugs -- or if hugging isn't your thing, she'll also shake your hand, or whatever you feel comfy with. There do seem to be quite a few 'huggy' people who attend these events, but it's not a rule! Oh, and don't mind Chelle's comment about my hugs (Miss you chelle!!! *sends virtual hugs*) -- I only tackle-hug those who should already be expecting it from me! And while her feet may have actually left the floor in that initial hug *whistles innocently*, at least I didn't end up wrestling in the lobby for tackle-hug supremacy... *looks in Tittamiire and NZNeep's directions - which is challenging to do, considering where they live in relation to me atm* LOL!

Blue jello. Right. Hopefully there should be copious amounts of it floating about the event again Yay for bluey goodness!!! So you'll definitely get the opportunity to try some
            It´s good to know...I´ll do my best with hugs. I have a younger coworker who´s trying to "convert" me...I´ll do an extra effort for Amanda

Comment

I'm a huggy person. *raises hand* Let's see if Amanda challenges me. lol.

As for the "bluey goodness".. I certainly hope I'll get to try it. I've had green, red, yellow,... but it will be my first blue... and I want to share this very special moment with you guys

Comment

Originally posted by DOIKECARTER View Post
                It´s good to know...I´ll do my best with hugs. I have a younger coworker who´s trying to "convert" me...I´ll do an extra effort for Amanda
                If it something you are not comfortable with then just offer to shake hands instead. I'm sure AT will be fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                  If it something you are not comfortable with then just offer to shake hands instead. I'm sure AT will be fine with that.
                  There are so few people who are genuine huggers and Amanda is one of them. I though it was a very nice jesture. But I agree. If you feel awkward just put out your hand and she will resond in kind.
                  sigpic

Comment

The first time I met Amanda I was mentally debating if I could ask for a hug, and while my brain was plodding through what I would do if she said no, she offered me her hand (to shake, of course ) ... at which point I blurted out "Can I have a hug, please?" She laughed, replied "Of course!" and pulled me in for a huge hug! Needless to say, I was bouncy for the rest of the day. (For those of you who have yet to meet me in RL, I am being fairly literal here...I really do bounce when excited. And talk quickly, usually with my hands, while jumping about topics and getting distracted by shinies. Amusing in small doses, so I'm told. Think of a wee one with ADD on a sugar high. Yep, that's me - only bigger )

It also, coincidentally enough, happened to be the first time I had met 3/4 of the G4 (along with quite a few of the rest of the GABIT staff), so all in all an absolutely awesomely memorable day for me! (I still recall a few of them laughing at my reaction to finding out that Julia was texting THE Amanda while we were in queue for the Sanctuary Wep unveiling... *shakes head at self* Silly ames! LOL)

...why yes, I have had both sugar and caffeine tonight. Whyever do you ask? *grins and bats eyelashes in an innocent fashion*
                    (Seriously, it was one of those shifts at work tonight -- sugar and caffeine were needed in copious amounts for sheer survivability!)

ames on facebook

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                      The first time I met Amanda I was mentally debating if I could ask for a hug, and while my brain was plodding through what I would do if she said no, she offered me her hand (to shake, of course ) ... at which point I blurted out "Can I have a hug, please?" She laughed, replied "Of course!" and pulled me in for a huge hug! Needless to say, I was bouncy for the rest of the day. (For those of you who have yet to meet me in RL, I am being fairly literal here...I really do bounce when excited. And talk quickly, usually with my hands, while jumping about topics and getting distracted by shinies. Amusing in small doses, so I'm told. Think of a wee one with ADD on a sugar high. Yep, that's me - only bigger )
                      Thanks for sharing!! Cute story. I always think about stuff too much and when I kinda finally make up my mind I act completely opposite of what myself and I agreed to do. Does that make sense? lol.

Oh and I like those talk quickly, lots of gesticulation and overly excited people. Not 24/7, but I enjoy it for a weekend.

Comment

Hey Eh T!

(Off topic...)

Spoiler:
                        Can you tell your mates to keep their little hockey sticks in their pants? If they don't they may just find the only creature in New Zealand capable of doing some harm.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10644813
                        Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by nzneep View Post
                          hey eh t!

(off topic...)

Spoiler:
                          can you tell your mates to keep their little hockey sticks in their pants? If they don't they may just find the only creature in new zealand capable of doing some harm.

ouch!
                          sigpic

Comment

Still having problems multi-quoting.

Ames, my experience the first time I met AT was the opposite. I offered my hand and she hugged me instead. Guess she was on a roll.

Neep, LOL! I will have to have a new badge made to go with my "that's quite enough of that". One that says "keep your hockey stick in your pants"!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                              Hey Eh T!

(Off topic...)

Spoiler:
                              Can you tell your mates to keep their little hockey sticks in their pants? If they don't they may just find the only creature in New Zealand capable of doing some harm.

Poor guy. There's definitely something good to say about not being 'the first' in this story.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                                Still having problems multi-quoting.

Ames, my experience the first time I met AT was the opposite. I offered my hand and she hugged me instead. Guess she was on a roll.

Neep, LOL! I will have to have a new badge made to go with my "that's quite enough of that". One that says "keep your hockey stick in your pants"!
                                Hmmm - or she recognised a kindred spirit at heart? Just a thought
                                ...I can so envision you using your new badge -- and the dazed expressions on the recipients' faces!

Amanda's reaction in my case may have had something to do with the fact that Tracy had gone up right before me and informed her that I was really nervous (VERY nervous), so please to be nice to me - she might have been trying to gauge which reaction would be best for me, being a thoughtful person like that I was still in such awe over the fact that she had called me over by name (thx again to Tracy, who was wonderfully understanding!) that my brain was somewhat overloaded with surreal bounciness by that point.

That was also the day that I realised that Amanda was *real*, if that makes any sense. She's not just an actress who portrays these characters through with whom we become familiar - she's a geniunely lovely and giving woman who actually cares about her fans as individual people. In retrospect, this seems pretty darned obvious, but at the time, it was a fairly mind-blowing conclusion to reach - and I'm so glad I have had the opportunity to do so!

ames on facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X