GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starsong101 View Post
    Request: my computer got hit with a really bad malware and I had to wipe the drive and start over. I have lost all my bookmarks. Could anyone provide the links to the Gateworld forums for Sanctuary and Meet the Man. Thanks
    I hope this is what you mean:
    Meet the Man
    The Sanctuary Experience

To Doikecarter. Welcome to the gabit thread!!

If your sister is not a big AT fan, I wouldn't try to convince her.

I guess .. if you're a really outgoing person, you just come on your own and there's no doubt you'll meet people at the con. But I would find that a little scary and would want to know people beforehand.

My advice would be, go by yourself, but make sure you make friends online beforehand. People you can meet up with.

Easiest way to do that is .. here And I guess on Livejournal. The gabitboards are pretty quiet these days. Just join us here, chat and you'll get to know us. Usually by the time the con gets nearer we start making plans to meet up. It's also a good idea to try contact a few people to actually hang out with. So you know you have people to meet up with.
    What also helps ... search for a roomie and if you find someone that clicks, you maybe also have found someone to hang out with

There's also the meet up for new Amanda fans on the friday of the con. There you can meet people that are all new, so you have some people to hang out with.

Don't be shy about coming, I've never heard or seen anyone that didn't feel at ease! The Amanda conventions have a wonderful vibe!
    Last edited by SamJackShipLover; 09 May 2010, 10:58 AM. Reason: Dutch doesn't belong in an English post :)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DOIKECARTER View Post
      Hi. I need advice. I´ve been Amanda´s fan for years and I´ve been on Gateworld forum for years too....but I´m not really too active. I don´t post a lot and this type of events seem a bit impressive. AT event seems really special but....Should I go by myself? Should I try to convince my sister to join me? Distance shouldn´t been a problem since Spain is embarrasingly near to England comparing to a few posts I´ve read so far and it´s once in a lifetime, so money shouldn´t be an excuse this time. I want to have fun...but sometimes it seems everyone already knows each other and it´s a little overwhelming.

Could anyone give some advice to a newbie? Thanks
      I went alone to AT3 and never had much chance to meet anyone before hand. Met several people at the convention and we are now friends. So don't be afraid of going alone. And, since the convention isn't until Feb, you can do as Lies says and meet people on line. Being outgoing online is a lot easier than in person. Get to know them a little and it will make it all a lot easier. HAVE FUN... and see you in London. Laurie
      sigpic

Comment

To Doikecarter. Welcome to the gabit thread!!

If your sister is not a big AT fan, I wouldn't try to convince her.

I guess .. if you're a really outgoing person, you just come on your own and there's no doubt you'll meet people at the con. But I would find that a little scary and would want to know people beforehand.

My advice would be, go by yourself, but make sure you make friends online beforehand. People you can meet up with.

Easiest way to do that is .. here And I guess on Livejournal. The gabitboards are pretty quiet these days. Just join us here, chat and you'll get to know us. Usually by the time the con gets nearer we start making plans to meet up. It's also a good idea to try contact a few people to actually hang out with. So you know you have people to meet up with.
        What also helps ... search for a roomie and if you find someone that clicks, you maybe also have found someone to hang out with

There's also the meet up for new Amanda fans on the friday of the con. There you can meet people that are all new, so you have some people to hang out with.

Don't be shy about coming, I've never heard or seen anyone that didn't feel at ease! The Amanda conventions have a wonderful vibe!
        Thanks for your answer. I got my sister to Basauricon, we got to meet Mary McDonnell and EJ Olmos....and she ended addicted to Battlestar Galactica herself. Stargate might be too much for her. I guess I´ll try. I´m not as shy as I used to be, but still, it´s hard to be the new one. On the other side, meeting AT is really lke a dream....so I guess I´m going.

Again, thanks for you kind words.
        Last edited by DOIKECARTER; 09 May 2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your answer. I got my sister to Basauricon....and she ended addicted to Battlestar Galactica herself. Stargate might be too much for her. I guess I´ll try. I´m not as shy as I used to be, but still, it´s hard to be the new one. On the other side, meeting AT is really lke a dream....so I guess I´m going.

Again, thanks for you kind words.
          The gabit con is not about Stargate, just Amanda ... and who wouldn't love her

Good to see you decided to come, you'll be fine!!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
            I went alone to AT3 and never had much chance to meet anyone before hand. Met several people at the convention and we are now friends. So don't be afraid of going alone. And, since the convention isn't until Feb, you can do as Lies says and meet people on line. Being outgoing online is a lot easier than in person. Get to know them a little and it will make it all a lot easier. HAVE FUN... and see you in London. Laurie
            Thanks for your words! I´ve registered myself so...fingers crossed. I guess it´s good it´s next february. Plenty of time to meet nice people like all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
              The gabit con is not about Stargate, just Amanda ... and who wouldn't love her

Good to see you decided to come, you'll be fine!!
              Well, I guess it´s more than enough. AT was my fav character in SG1 and my reason for checking SGA regularly

Comment

Thanks for your words! I´ve registered myself so...fingers crossed. I guess it´s good it´s next february. Plenty of time to meet nice people like all of you.
                Welcome aboard. I would bet almost anything you will have a great time. Amanda is one of the most lovely people you will have the opportunity to meet. And everyone there is very friendly. Many hang out in the lobby between sessions. Another great way to sit and talk with people. Just put a little step forward and everyone will grab you into the fray.....hummm maybe conversation sounds better. Seriously, you will have a blast.
                sigpic

Comment

Y'know, I've lived in Canada most of my life, and I've yet to see a live moose. Moose meat in the freezer, yup. Touristy painted moose all over Toronto, def check. (They're all female moose, btw - hence the lack of antlers.) I may have seen moose in the Canadiana section of the TO zoo when I was really little, but I don't recall - and I have a feeling that a live moose would be impressive enough to burn the image into my brain! That being said, I have had many close encounters with seemingly-suicidal deer over the years. Including one that tried to jump into my trunk after leaping over the cement divider on the 401 (equivilant of an M-class highway for the UK readers out there ... Interstate for the US ones ) -- while I was doing at least a good 125 km/hr (*converts* 75+ miles/hr). THAT woke me up faster than caffeine has ever done, I tell ya!

Neep - no over-doing it! Remember: no matter how bloated you feel, it's almost always a good idea to keep your pants ON in public Seriously though - I hope you start to feeling better soon! *hugs*

Doikecarter - welcome to the thread! Don't worry about coming to the events on your own ... as the girls have mentioned before me, if you pop in here, you'll get to know a few of us online beforehand. There's usually a 'newbie' get-together on the Friday afternoon, aimed at first-time attendees. I know it can be intimidating to see people already grouped up in the lobby, but most of us won't bite - just sidle on up and introduce yourself! Before you get here though, there are two very important questions I must ask:
                  1 - are you a huggy person? (B/c if you are, you are in for a real treat - Amanda gives an awesome hug!)
                  2 - how do you feel about blue jello?
                  ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                  ames on facebook
                  ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Hi Doikecarter,

I will go to AT5 by myself, too. I haven't met anyone yet, but I sure found lots of nice people on gateworld and the gabitforum!! Everyone is really nice and trying to answer aaaall the questions you might mave and trying to make you feel comfortable!!
                    So, you're not alone in this adventure. I'm so looking forward to AT5 and if the people are only half as nice in person as online, we'll be more than fine!!

The things we do to meet Amanda, huh?

Comment

Okay, now's the time to chime in with my own moose/elk tale. On our first visit to the wilds of Canada (2001 - early September - we were touring before going to Gatecon) We were based in Banff for a couple of days (one of which was 9/11) and were returning in the early evening after a day out in the National Park, when we came around a bend in the road, to be confronted by the biggest deer I have ever seen in my life. We skidded to a halt and it just stood there and looked at us. He was sporting a rack of antlers that must have weighed a ton and could have done some serious damage if he had so wanted. Having satisfied his right to the road he ambled off into the undergrowth. Just before he disappeared he turned around and uttered this really ghostly whistling sound as though to say "Get out of my territory!" You can hear that sound quite often in Stargate. I noticed it particularly in "Paradise Lost" when Jack and Maybourne were stranded on the moon. Suffice it to say that we were a little more cautious when batting around back roads in the wilderness.

We saw some female moose in Jasper just wandering around the train sidings and on the roadside just outside town. They are pretty impressive animals, even without the antlers.

Mumsey
                      For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Hi. I need advice. I´ve been Amanda´s fan for years and I´ve been on Gateworld forum for years too....but I´m not really too active. I don´t post a lot and this type of events seem a bit impressive. AT event seems really special but....Should I go by myself? Should I try to convince my sister to join me? Distance shouldn´t been a problem since Spain is embarrasingly near to England comparing to a few posts I´ve read so far and it´s once in a lifetime, so money shouldn´t be an excuse this time. I want to have fun...but sometimes it seems everyone already knows each other and it´s a little overwhelming.

Could anyone give some advice to a newbie? Thanks
                        Hi,

I was a "newbie" at AT4, had never been to any type of sci-fi convention before and haven't been since. I was amazed at the positive vibe to the whole weekend. And the sense of accomplishment when the final tally of funds raised over the weekend was amazing! As a fan of AT's, I think you'll love it since the whole weekend revolves around her and her charities. Just attend the Friday get together and wear your name tag around and people will likely come up to you to talk. Just be open and smile.

Meeting AT was fun and listening to the talks was good for laughs. Personally though, meeting one of the fan fiction writers I've read and admired was the highlight of my trip. I can't believe how starstruck and in awe I was when I learned who she was. She is quite the writer. I was definitely much more excited to meet and talk to her than AT (I hate to say :O). I was also tickled to talk with 3 other people who were remodeling their kitchen at the time.

I didn't meet everybody, but I met plenty of people. I didn't know how the auction worked, or the raffles, or the protocols of behavior, or lots of things. I just kind of followed the crowd and listened to the helpers. The main thing for me was to just relax and enjoy the moment.

This was the first time I had travelled after being very ill for a long time and the number one goal was relaxation. I did miss out on some of the "late-night" sessions in the lobby, but I read about them when I got back .

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by donamac View Post
                          When in 1964 a friend and I started driving from New York to Alberta, we were surprised to see our first moose in Northern Ontario! And I am sure our VW bug could have driven under it! It was enormous and right smack in the middle of the road. He stood there for a minute after I slammed on the brakes and turned and strolled slowly off into the woods. After that we were very careful each time we came to a curve--slowing down and stretching our necks to be sure no more moose showed up. Wish I had a picture but we were both in shock at the size of the beast. We never encountered any more moose until Alberta where we saw them (one at a time) wading around in swamps and lakes. They are awesome creatures.
                          Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                          Okay, now's the time to chime in with my own moose/elk tale. On our first visit to the wilds of Canada (2001 - early September - we were touring before going to Gatecon) We were based in Banff for a couple of days (one of which was 9/11) and were returning in the early evening after a day out in the National Park, when we came around a bend in the road, to be confronted by the biggest deer I have ever seen in my life. We skidded to a halt and it just stood there and looked at us. He was sporting a rack of antlers that must have weighed a ton and could have done some serious damage if he had so wanted. Having satisfied his right to the road he ambled off into the undergrowth. Just before he disappeared he turned around and uttered this really ghostly whistling sound as though to say "Get out of my territory!" You can hear that sound quite often in Stargate. I noticed it particularly in "Paradise Lost" when Jack and Maybourne were stranded on the moon. Suffice it to say that we were a little more cautious when batting around back roads in the wilderness.

We saw some female moose in Jasper just wandering around the train sidings and on the roadside just outside town. They are pretty impressive animals, even without the antlers.

Mumsey
                          Saw moose in Yellowstone in Wyoming. They are quite impressive and much larger than you imagine they would be. Didn't have any real close encounters with moose. But I have a buffalo story. (Also, massively huge creatures and just beautiful) A few cars had pulled to the side of the road and several of us were trying to get pictures of a buffalo that was drinking at a stream. We were all creeping closer and closer when he decided he didn't like being disturbed by tourists. So, he came charging at all of us. Everyone scrambled back to their cars and jumped inside, while he proceeded to walk down the entire line of cars and stare menacingly through the windows at us, from about a foot away from the windows. He then ambled back down to the stream and we all got back out to creep back down. None of us got nearly as close as before, but we finally got our pictures and then left very quickly.
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                          Anon

Comment

i have an elk story from the grand canyon.

we were driving around, going to sightsee somewhere i think, rounded a bend and there was an elk. I knew they were big, just not how big....like 8 feet tall big.

turned around, hurried back to the cabin, got my camera, came back, it was still there, took a few pics then it wandered off

you just don't realize how big big is until you see it in person
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

last spring on the way back from the vancouver con we drove into the theodore roosevelt natl park in north dakota (which was like a big rest stop area). i remember my jaw dropping and i kept saying "buffalo, buffalo" my mom kept asking what i was talking about and then looked up and saw a herd of really BIG buffalo wandering around and grazing in the parking lot. i was afraid to get out of the car because they warn people how dangerous they are because they will charge if bothered and are actually faster than horses. i got some great pictures and video there. some people were walking around and heading into the bathrooms, but chicken little here stayed in the car. i figured i could barely walk let alone run, so i'd play it safe. there was a ranger parked there in case of trouble. that took me totally by surprise.

i've seen a lot of moose in vermont, new hampshire and maine. in the fall the males have their antlers and are in rut. that is when they are most dangerous. they charge cars and wreck them with their antlers and should never be approached. they just dart across the roads so you have to be careful and they're so fast it's hard to get pictures. you can almost see the panic in their eyes and imagine them screaming "gotta find me a female, gotta find me a female and show off my sexy antlers, then i gotta get some action!!!,oh! i think i smell one over there. gotta get her!" they trash road signs and trees and everything. then late winter they shed their antlers and they all look like girl mooses (unless they're really big). the lady at the hotel once told me where the moose tour people go so i could go without paying. saw mom's and calves-really cool. i've yet to get a decent picture of a bull moose.

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                                Doikecarter - welcome to the thread! Don't worry about coming to the events on your own ... as the girls have mentioned before me, if you pop in here, you'll get to know a few of us online beforehand. There's usually a 'newbie' get-together on the Friday afternoon, aimed at first-time attendees. I know it can be intimidating to see people already grouped up in the lobby, but most of us won't bite - just sidle on up and introduce yourself! Before you get here though, there are two very important questions I must ask:
                                1 - are you a huggy person? (B/c if you are, you are in for a real treat - Amanda gives an awesome hug!)
                                2 - how do you feel about blue jello?
                                Welcome Doikecarter, Andy and lame moose! Glad your going to AT5 and I hope we meet up at some point!

I went to the newbie get-together at AT4 and it wasn't even my first time. I think having the balance is good. Not only do those a little shy with it being their first AT event (perhaps even traveling alone as well) get to meet everyone, but peeps like me who've been around the block a time or two and aren't hesitant to give a hearty wave and smile and introduce themselves and help start the weekend for them off on the right foot is always a good thing. We're a friendly bunch for sure, but I know the feeling of being in such a strange environment having been there myself. Anything I can do to help ease and make someone feel better, I'll aim to try and do.

As for the moose stories (or other wildly beasts): I've seen plenty of moose up in Northern Minnesota (Ely area) on my camping trips over the years and when I was in South Dakota, I seen plenty of elk and buffalo as well. Such amazing creatures and I think no matter how many times I get to see them, I'll never tire of gazing/observing them. All from a good distance or mighty zoom lens, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X