Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh my. I really loved this ep. I'm a Shep whumper at heart, but McKay whump isn't far behind so when I saw last week's preview for tonight (the only hint I had at what this would be about) I was already set to like it. This FAR exceeded my expectations.

Good stuff
    * David Hewlett - Wow. Just wow. He made me cry through almost the entire ep (not an easy feat). Did I say wow?

* starting in the middle - really set up how bad off Rodney was and what lengths they would go to in order to save him. Also gave us Jeannie as someone needing explanations

* Rodney shouting for John in panic - a telling moment of the strength of their friendship. Of all the people around him (Ronon, Teyla, Jennifer, etc), he's known Sheppard the longest, trusts him the most, holds on to that relationship the tightest as his memory slowly fades.

* Jeannie - always good to see her, but her reaction to seeing Rodney was fantastic and her insistence to know everything and then make the decision she thought was best was perfect

* Ronon and Teyla - I love Pegasus knowledge. I love Ronon backstory!!! I love that he was going to do it by himself even if no one else would and how quickly Teyla joined him. We rarely see soft moments between them and Rodney and it's so nice to see how much they care.

* TEAM LOVE - there is little I love more than seeing the team protect and care for each other (and if you ever wonder why someone would enjoy whump - that's my answer).

* Woolsey - I love him more each week - the scene with the gate tech, standing up to Ronon, asking John to tell Rodney goodbye for him. Even the little bit of tension with him and John regarding the MALP and why John didn't come back in the jumper was spot on.

* the panoramic view of the flooded valley with the team on top of the gate - really cool

* Keller and McKay - I'm not a shipper, but I might have to be for this pairing. I liked the hints throughout - the strength of her resolve to fight for him as long as she could, the fact that she didn't recognize his symptoms because of the way they manifested. In normal times, she is supportive but doesn't put up with his crap - something he needs. I wonder if Rodney will remember he told her he loved her....

But more than anything, I loved the scene where Rodney freaked out and beat down John's door. McKay's fear was so palpable, and it all came spilling out. And Sheppard just listened - no wisecracks, no hiding behind positive statements. He was comforting, calm, a good friend. Then hanging out on the pier. I didn't think anything could surpass the scene between them in Miller's Crossing, but I was wrong. This entire sequence is tops.

I will admit to not knowing much about science or medicine so the vagueries on the shrine and the surgery - bah. The parasite leaking out of his head was truly gross.

My only real quibble is not seeing Teyla and Ronon deal with Rodney as he deteriorates. But I guess only so much can be put in 42 minutes.

*hugs show* Don't fly by too fast. Take your time. I want to savor each moment.
    sigpic
    Sig by Luciana
    My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad View Post
      How is you not watching Stargate going to help Stargate? Well good thing you watched it none the less.
      I know it did not make sense but I was just so upset with MGM/SCiFI. My not watching would just affect me and no one else, its not like I am a Nielsen member anyway.

Comment

Rodney's sister knew that Rodney hated "Meredith" as he said it's girl's name.
        Jeannie called him Mere.
        But why their parents named him Meredith?

Comment

Wow, so much awesomeness. Where to begin?

I loved the flashbacks. I'm not usually a fan of them, but they were sooo well done here. I especially loved the flashback Shep had in the puddlejumper. What a great scene to illustrate the friendship between McKay and Shepard. Loved Shep spitting the beer out, and I loved hearing Rodney's genuine laughter....we don't get to hear/see either of them laugh much---if at all---so that was the cherry on top of this very touching scene for me.

My heart was ripped out more than once......Rodney calling out for John so many times and Ronon's "I owe him this!" line and Teyla's immediate back-up of Ronon's plan....... John absolutely refusing to say goodbye to Rodney (shades of Tao of Rodney)....Jeannie's palpable misery and fear---she's just gotten back into good relations with her brother and now she's going to lose him.

Little things were so touching to me---like Teyla checking Rodney for temperature, Keller arguing with Rodney that he is indeed a doctor (even when Rodney insists that he's no longer smart enough to be a doctor) and Woolsey telling Shep to tell Rodney goodbye for him.

David Hewlett was amazing. The little "oh for God's sake" when he couldn't remember the name for the Pegasus Galaxy....the scene with John in the middle of the night when he felt as if he'd lose all memory before morning---his desperation and fear....I loved the way he said "Ronon Dex" every time he saw Ronon----and I thought Jason Momoa did an outstanding job in this episode.

I've said this so many times over the years, but David and Joe have a wonderful chemistry. I'm going to miss seeing that each week, as it was a big reason I tuned in......I'll miss all of the characters....

I'm afraid that as I watch these remaining episodes, somewhere in the back of my mind I'll be mourning the fact that I won't be watching this great show this time next year....and that makes me very sad.

Wilson3Girl

Comment

Wonderful, wonderful episode. The John and Rodney bits alone will sustain me for years to come. And Rodney and Jeannie, and the way Ronon and Teyla fought for him to have his day, and the way Rodney was angry about that. OMG.

Not a fan of McKeller, because I don't buy that Rodney is in love with her yet, but there was enough greatness to outweigh that arc.

How ironic that BW wrote this, for a show he was destined to sink only months later!

Comment

Jelgate's Two Cents
              I guess the old saying is true. What goes up most come down. After watching episodes like The Seed and GiTM, I am feeling underwhelmed. That’s not saying it was a bad episode but it was so mediocre when compared to the other episodes on the final season.

The whole interview recording scene was beyond pointless. It had nothing to do with the plot and just made me roll my eyes. Their are so many things that could have been used instead of showing these mundane interview scenes after interview. It would have been nicer to see some goodbye character moments from some of the either people like Zelenka and Teyla than the interview scene. Looks like it will only be a matter of time until McKeller will become canon and shoved down my throat like jack/sam.

The best word to describe the team going to the planet is mediocre. I have never seen a team just rest on top of the gate. So it made for a nice sight to see the team just sitting. Using the gate's 38 min. window seemed like nothing more than a weak plot device to get McKay infected. In fact as I recall, it’s impossible to dial a gate submerged in water. The scene between McKay and Keller in infirmary when she brings him dinner is just more forced shipping.

The next part was a lot better. I give credit to Kate Hewlett on her performance when she went to see Rodney in room. Not everyone can pull off tear that well and its something only good actors can do. One thing really does puzzle me on Jeanie's arrival. Wouldn't it have been a better idea to use Earth's ZPM? We know from Echoes that a ZPM was given to the Odyssey to fight the now defeated Ori and one was given to the Ancients weapon platform in Antarctica. Earth couldn't spare a little ZPM energy to give to Jeanie. It makes a lot more sense than having her ride of the Daedalus.

The tiny bit between Ronon and Jeanie was fantastic and I loved seeing Keller's skeptical nature when Jeanie mentioned the Pegasus Galaxy illness which led into the probably the best scene in the whole episode It was fun watching the Pegasus Galaxy natives battle beliefs against the Tauri. I'll admit to becoming on the verge of tears when Woolsey mention Altizhmiers. I know whets it like to lose a loved one through that deadly disease. I also enjoy how Keller is such a skeptic and refuses to let McKay go to the Shrine even knowing it will return him to normal for a little while. Medical professionals aren't very good at letting go. You can see how hurt Keller is when Jeanie pretty much orders Meredith to go to the Shrine.

I'm not the biggest Brad Wright fan but he has his moments. The MALP smokescreen was one of the more creative moments in Stargate history. But wouldn't the team have been fine without the smokescreen. The Wraith wouldn't be able to knock out a Jumper before it cloaked. But I suppose it wouldn't be alert the Wraith to the team's presence.

The whole shrine thing was predictable and at the same time creative. I knew was going to work since Ronon said it was Ancient technology but I didn't think it would involve radiation. I also didn't expect the radiation to be able to make the parasite remove itself from McKay's brain. The whole shrine having a range was seen before they entered the cave.

Who doesn't love tension? The whole arguing between Sheppard and Keller was fun to watch. I loved watching them argue about getting medical supplies. I have a question for people who have a medical background. I know it’s not ideal but is it possible to use a drill like to make a hole in a human skull. It also seems far-fetched that that life signs detector could be turned into a human scanner. Ronon shooting the parasite was funny especially after Sheppard said he could just step on it. The infirmary scene IMO opinion should have featured the whole team not just Jeanie. It should been about all his loved one being there as he recovered.

This is out of place but the Sheppard McKay scene was a highlight of the whole episode. It was funny with Sheppard showing McKay his Beer Fridge to somewhat sad with McKay and Sheppard saying goodbye. It was a very good character scene. I just wish we could of had more goodbye scenes instead of that stupid interview scene.

For those of you keeping track, Keller saved the day.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Wow, some great posts!
                I'm too gobblesmacked at the moment ~ floored by how much I liked this episode! I expected to like it, but.... wow.

And, for the record, David Hewlett is made of awesome.

Edit: sorry you didn't like the ep, Jelgate? or you did?
                Last edited by Pic; 22 August 2008, 08:46 PM. Reason: Edit: ??huh

Comment

Originally posted by PuddleJumper42 View Post
                  It was a fantastic episode and I loved it except the ending was horrible. (Rodney may claim he loves Keller, but he wasn't yelling her name the entire episode now was he? )

Yeah, no kidding. He may think he loves her, but who does he run to when he's alone and frightened?
                  The way he went to John...that was so sweet. I really loved that.

Comment

Phenominal much?

David Hewlett solidifies his place as the best actor on the show.

Positive points for all the great Shep/McKay bff moments, including the best out on the pier. And for the Ronon/McKay uber friendship they've got going on. Also for the brief Woolsey back history, which rounds him out a little more and makes him a tad more human. And for the brother/sister air time, because the Hewletts are too perfect.

Negative points for it being only an hour long. Oh, and the McKeller at the end, which just made me kinda sick.

But overal a fantastic, beautifully written and acted, perfect character piece. TPTB should be really happy with how it turned out. I know I am.
                    Wow, thanks for ruining my day and canceling SGA, Sci-Fi. Not even McKay can make me feel better now

Comment

Best Line -

Sheppard: We were gonna have a big feast.

McKay: Last Supper, huh?

Sheppard: Well, it suits your Messiah complex...

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper42 View Post
                        rodney may claim he loves keller, but he wasn't yelling her name the entire episode now was he?
                        ftw
                        Wow, thanks for ruining my day and canceling SGA, Sci-Fi. Not even McKay can make me feel better now

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
                          * Rodney shouting for John in panic - a telling moment of the strength of their friendship. Of all the people around him (Ronon, Teyla, Jennifer, etc), he's known Sheppard the longest, trusts him the most, holds on to that relationship the tightest as his memory slowly fades.
                          Absolutely. I also think that if the situation were reversed, John would seek out Rodney.

But more than anything, I loved the scene where Rodney freaked out and beat down John's door. McKay's fear was so palpable, and it all came spilling out. And Sheppard just listened - no wisecracks, no hiding behind positive statements. He was comforting, calm, a good friend. Then hanging out on the pier. I didn't think anything could surpass the scene between them in Miller's Crossing, but I was wrong. This entire sequence is tops.
                          Sniff....Yes......Sniff....... The entire scene was outstanding. My favorite SGA scene ever and my new #1 favorite episode. Sniff......

Wilson3Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
                            Wow, some great posts!I'm too gobblesmacked at the moment ~ floored by how much I liked this episode! I expected to like it, but.... wow.And, for the record, David Hewlett is made of awesome.Edit: sorry you didn't like the ep, Jelgate? or you did??*
                            The best answer would be mediocre. It had its good moments but their were also some bad moments,.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Amazing episode!!!
                              I'm not that big of a McKay fan myself but this episode was great! David Hewlett did an amazing job, no doubt. And that Sheppard and McKay moment, oh man! Freaken awesome ep!

Comment

I loved it! The ep (of what I was able to watch, had to work so missed the first 15 minutes ) was fantastic! The Mcshep scene will forever be my favorite Atlantis scene of all time! I loved the 'Arthur' joke and when John said 'you're stuck with me'. Made me squueeeeee! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X