This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wireman121 View Post
    I am not exagerating when I say I felt this was the best 2 parter of the series.
    Serious?

The best recent two-parter, imo is "This Mortal Coil"/"Be All My Sins Remembered." I didn't hate this ep, I'd rate it well based on McKay/Daniel alone, but it wasn't clever writing like the previously mentioned one.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

First Contact was better than The Lost Tribe, but even with the 'oddities' pointed out by previous posts, it was still entertaining. I have to agree that Daniel was quite acting like the typical Daniel, Shephard and Dr Z did manage to conveniently walk away from the blast unscathed, and "kirking" around...hhmm...he did seem like a bit of kid wanting his candy (Lauren ( sp ? )) - but then...who wouldn't ;-), still...I liked it. Beat the hell out of anything else on the tube. An on an unrelated note...hope they get Christopher Judge, Richard Anderson, Ben Browder and Claudia Black to show up in Vancouver in April 09.

Liam

Comment

U do realize that SG1 and SGA are in the same universe, right?
        1 Year 11mths without using the letter U on the thread: ask Morbo anything

Comment

Originally posted by SG-1ssm View Post
          So in The Lost Tribe, we see the writers continue to recycle used plots, ideas, and races.

First they bring the replicators to the Pegasus, because they can't think of a better enemy. Now they bring the Asgard, this time as a bad guy, because, again they can find any new ideas.

What else is new? Oh ya, Daniel dying of radiation poisoning. That's completely original, we've never seen that before. Ok, he lives this time. New take on an old idea.

Stargate Atlantis continues to reused SG-1 plot lines and races. Let's go back and look at the very first episode, Rising. Bad guys come and take some of our people. Time for a rescue mission! Oh wait...SG-1 started the exact same way! Let's pick up an alien for the team too, because that's completely original.

Let's look at the last 2 episodes of the first season. The bad guys attack our main base! Oh no! Wait, SG-1's first season ended the exact same way! We win the the first episode of the 2nd season, just like on SG-1.

Let's move on to season 3. The team encounters an unknown form of being made out of nanites. Wait a second...could it be replicators? Yep...replicators...what else is new.

A couple episodes later, the doctor dies heroically trying to save a patient! How noble. Except the exact same thing happened on SG-1.

Let's even look at the main bad guys of the shows, the Gou'ld and the Waith. Both won't just straight up kill you, because they need to for something. Either to eat you or enslave you. Neither has a good reason for conquering the galaxy, that just how they roll.

Atlantis has used way to many ideas, story lines, and races from SG-1. It's like SG-1, the remake.

The writers need to come up with new material.
          They weren't the bad guys, they aren't an enemy of atlantis per say, they aren't going out of their way to kill all of them, the only people they're ostil to is the wraith.

It wasn't radiation, he was struck by a 'lightning bolt'

well it is a spin off, of course they are going to have a crossover or 2.

pardon me? why don't the wraith have a good reason to conquer the galaxy? They need to to survive, to feed.

How about SG-1: The spin off of.........

KEEP IT CLEAN
          Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
          Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

So in The Lost Tribe, we see the writers continue to recycle used plots, ideas, and races.

First they bring the replicators to the Pegasus, because they can't think of a better enemy. Now they bring the Asgard, this time as a bad guy, because, again they can find any new ideas.

What else is new? Oh ya, Daniel dying of radiation poisoning. That's completely original, we've never seen that before. Ok, he lives this time. New take on an old idea.

Stargate Atlantis continues to reused SG-1 plot lines and races. Let's go back and look at the very first episode, Rising. Bad guys come and take some of our people. Time for a rescue mission! Oh wait...SG-1 started the exact same way! Let's pick up an alien for the team too, because that's completely original.

Let's look at the last 2 episodes of the first season. The bad guys attack our main base! Oh no! Wait, SG-1's first season ended the exact same way! We win the the first episode of the 2nd season, just like on SG-1.

Let's move on to season 3. The team encounters an unknown form of being made out of nanites. Wait a second...could it be replicators? Yep...replicators...what else is new.

A couple episodes later, the doctor dies heroically trying to save a patient! How noble. Except the exact same thing happened on SG-1.

Let's even look at the main bad guys of the shows, the Gou'ld and the Waith. Both won't just straight up kill you, because they need to for something. Either to eat you or enslave you. Neither has a good reason for conquering the galaxy, that just how they roll.

Atlantis has used way to many ideas, story lines, and races from SG-1. It's like SG-1, the remake.

Ahem.... NOU

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
              Those ships from the Asgards simply blew up after being hit a couple of times by an elderly ship from the Travellers? Riiight. We are talking about Asgards here, the little guys that have more advanced technology and knowledge at the disposal then any other living race - one of the original four races that protected this part of the universe and a little ramshackle ship is able to blow an Asgard ship up....no comment.
              Asgard: We are doing this because we have to survive, blah, blah.
              Daniel: Hey buddy, we have intergalactic spaceships thanks to your brothers, who were our best friends. We would be willing to grant you and your friends safe passage to Ida Galaxy. Now, would you mind turning out that device?

The Lost Tribe could've been epic... The resurgence of the Asgard and such. Instead it was painfully dumb.
              sigpic

Comment

Guess I'm in the minority, but I thought it was a kick-a&& epi! Bravo cast and crew!

Comment

did anyone else other than me think that the bit in Lost Tribe where the travelers ship an the asgard ship wehere spinning round each other was a little gay? Looked like they where doing sum sort of dance, wasnt a fan of it.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by wireman121 View Post
                    In short, I thought these 2 episodes were written very well, and are a perfect example of why this show is being taken off the air prematurely.
                    Though I respect your opinion, I couldn't disagree more. Frankly this is the first time this season that I have actually thought the show ending might not be all bad. The only episode worse this season was Whispers. These two eps just seemed to have no point at all. Why bring the Asgard back at all if only to make an enemy of them? It's poor writing IMHO. When I heard about this episode I was somewhat excited at the prospect of seeing Daniel and Rodney together, but watching the actual episode was a real letdown. Daniel really wasn't able to do his thing and was pretty much just relegated to moping with Rodney the whole episode. Anymore this is pretty much Daniel I guess, but it was just a real drag.

I would give it a 6 out of 10 at the most.

Comment

If you want original/innovative sci-fi, you'd do best to avoid television and cinema entirely because televised sci-fi has to be commercial enough to make profit so it has to "play it safe". The best you can hope for is a new spin on an old idea like BSG or simply good writing, otherwise I recomend you dump the tv and buy some books where you -will- find strange and original sci-fi that is too "odd" for the (tv) masses.

As for me, I like both (the weird and the commercial). I dont think Atlantis or SG1 were ever original in the least, quite the opposite...BUT I do find them to be ALOT of fun, and thats all I care about on a friday night when im too worn out.
                      Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                      Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

I completely disagree with everything you said there, and for god sake use spoiler tags!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                          Serious?

The best recent two-parter, imo is "This Mortal Coil"/"Be All My Sins Remembered." I didn't hate this ep, I'd rate it well based on McKay/Daniel alone, but it wasn't clever writing like the previously mentioned one.
                          I completely agree the BAMSR two parter was easily the best out of all the SGA two parters. This two parter wasnt really that good sure it had its moments like Daniel and the Asgard, but it wasnt that well written plot holes everywhere and the Asgard being an enemy what the hell is with that.

I know there entire species is at stake but you would think once they had the device they would negotiate i'm sure they could of come to some sort of Arrangement. For me 7.5 out of 10 and I'm really trying to like it.

Comment

close blank range firing resulting in the traveler ship destroying the Asgard

Comment

I don't think they really pulled the shot off no, but I think it was a nice idea, gay isn't the word I'd use to describe it anyway...

Comment

I thought it looked alright.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X