This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts on “The Daedalus Variations.”

Was it big on character development? No, but it had its moments.

Did it expand on the mythology of Atlantis? Not too much.

Was it an interesting story that was basically an adventurous romp thru AU space?
    YES – and I loved it!

While I am disappointed about the fact that there wasn’t more intense character moments as we have seen with the first 3 episodes, TDV was still an episode that I enjoyed very much. I think TDV was really meant to be a stand alone episode that was just a great team adventure – and it succeeded very well.

I really liked the fact that the story was mainly about the team. Even still there were a few really good moments between team members, especially between Rodney and Teyla. I’ve noticed there has been some speculation on the boards about Rodney’s involvement – or lack there of - with the baby, especially since Rodney delivered the baby. It was nice to see that “bonding” moment between Teyla, Rodney and the baby at the end.

I don’t have too much of an opinion on the new villain encountered because I don’t know what or any role they will play in future episodes however I do think they could be interesting because the ship seemed to withstand Asgard weapons fairly well, they seem to be technologically advanced and they had really cool weapons. I also like the fact that they are quite mysterious.

There were a few twists that surprised me, such as finding the dead bodies of themselves (very creepy) and the fact that they used the space suits to escape the last AU jump. Though my younger daughter, as soon as Sheppard said ‘We gotta think of something quick!” said, “their gonna escape in the space suits!” and I said, “no, they can’t do that.” (does it mean you are getting old when your kids can out think you?).

There were several “fun” moments too; Ronon trying to work the weapons console (my husband loved the "chewie" comment). Teyla helping McKay and Sheppard talking to himself during the reverse jumps just were pure enjoyment.

The special effects were really great. Loved the shot of the jumper entering the hanger bay, the battle scene sequence, the red sun, the outside shots of the Daddy and the jumper– all top notch.

All in all a really good episode, very enjoyable and loving season 5 so far!

Comment

Originally posted by starfox View Post
      Oh, I loved seeing Teyla use the computers. I also liked that Ronon had picked up some multiverse theory from McKay. Proves that they take an active interest in their surroundings.
      I never imagined that they didn't.

I agree with your earlier points about the baby. While I had zero interest in the whole baby thing last season, now that Torren exists, there is no reason for him not to come up in conversation occasionally. That's not to say that I want the baby on screen every chance they get, but she's a new mom and he is something of a novelty on the base in the fact that no other main and even secondary characters have a child...or at least none that we know of. So why wouldn't he come up in causal conversation? I don't need whole segments of dialogue dedicated to him in every episode, but I would find it even stranger if he was never mentioned anymore.

I had no problems with his inclusion in this ep.

Heh for as much as McKay pretends to hate kids, I'm sure if he ever had one of his own, he'd do just fine. So them (mainly Shep) laughing at him like that at the end was a bit harsh.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
        I never imagined that they didn't.

I agree with your earlier points about the baby. While I had zero interest in the whole baby thing last season, now that Torren exists, there is no reason for him not to come up in conversation occasionally. That's not to say that I want the baby on screen every chance they get, but she's a new mom and he is something of a novelty on the base in the fact that no other main and even secondary characters have a child...or at least none that we know of. So why wouldn't he come up in causal conversation? I don't need whole segments of dialogue dedicated to him in every episode, but I would find it even stranger if he was never mentioned anymore.

I had no problems with his inclusion in this ep.

Heh for as much as McKay pretends to hate kids, I'm sure if he ever had one of his own, he'd do just fine. So them (mainly Shep) laughing at him like that at the end was a bit harsh.
        With all of his shrieking and shouting and inability to not to treat everyone else as an idiot, I'd hate to see what damage he'd do to a child's self-esteem.

Comment

I wish I was as easily pleased as most of the other people in this thread!

I can't fault the production values which are great. It's just a shame that they are wasted on a script which is truly terrible. I could excrete better story's than what's been offered so far this season. I was slightly more entertained than the previous three eps, but that's not saying much. It feels like they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

2/10, just because the CGI was good.
          sigpic

Comment

WOW! Pretty much sums up this episode. I was looking forward to this ever since I read the first information about it. I heard people complaining that it would be a nockoff of "There But for the Grace of God" but it didn't even come close. This episode had everything, great diaologue, really cool special effects, excllent space battles and a very real sense of danger. Nice little touch by Allan touching on Last Man and nice to see both a mention of Torrin and Woolsey. I was a defender of not killing the baby from day one and so far I'm glad they didn't. The relationship as well as the conflict and tension a baby brings into your life really has complemeted Teyla quite nicely. Really loved the aliens in this it'd be cool if they found a way to bring them back and their weapons were sweet! Hope to see them again. Not a complaint but I think it is a bit noticeable that Ronon's hair is a wig but that's just a very minor issue. This episode again has season 5 quickly becoming the best season yet.
            10/10.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Nusku View Post

I can't fault the production values which are great. It's just a shame that they are wasted on a script which is truly terrible. I could excrete better story's than what's been offered so far this season. I was slightly more entertained than the previous three eps, but that's not saying much. It feels like they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

2/10, just because the CGI was good.
              I disagree. It was a great script IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by OaTmEaLfAiRy View Post
                I am so NOT impressed with this episode. From Teyla out-science-ing McKay, to McKay being comedically pushed aside by Teyla, this episode was just too goofy for me.
                Um since when is checking ship logs and running diagnostics science?

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                  With all of his shrieking and shouting and inability to not to treat everyone else as an idiot, I'd hate to see what damage he'd do to a child's self-esteem.
                  Dealing with adults and dealing with your own child are usually two different things. I think McKay would be able to distinguish between the two just fine.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Nusku View Post
                    Nah, you're just jealous of how much more enjoyment we get out of the show than what you get out of it.

I could excrete better story's than what's been offered so far this season.
                    Do it then.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                      I think he'd be rather the opposite; reminding the child daily that s/he is a genius. He'd be neurotic - is s/he getting enough time outside? Spending too much time outside? I don't want him/her to break a bone or get skin cancer, but not playing makes kids maladjusted, right? - but I think he'd eventually calm down.
                      They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                      Spoiler:
                      Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

I think the thing I liked best about this script is that there was at least a type of exploration going on. Sure, they were miles above the planet, but they were going somewhere unknown and having to deal with what they found! Yay, exploration! (You know you are desperate for exploration when that is enough to make you happy.) I really hope Daniel explores something when he's in Atlantis and it's not all about a battle.... Who am I kidding? Daniel's going to be there. With him and McKay, it's going to be like old home week. They can do no wrong! But still! Exploration.....

Comment

This episode impressed me, and the CGI, just like the the past 3 episodes, has been amazing, as has the team relationship. I am quite impressed with Atlantis this season and this episode adds icing to that cake.

The new aliens are really quite interesting, no "out of this world" make-up design, just some gray skin with lights in the head (intriguing idea) and some good armor. Not only that, but they are one of the first alien species to be shown that have some form of 'icon' (Like how many aliens have on Star Trek). You don't see that a lot in Stargate, and it's neat. Even the weapons fire from the alien ship was different, which looked like green miniature bolts of lightning. Not only that, but these aliens might be more defensive when it comes to the Asgard beam weapons. Although a couple of shots took out weapons, we don't see how a full out attack would be like, and, judging by their combat performance on the Daedalus and the fighters being able to maneuver even after being shot, I think they will make formidable aliens. Very good job I say.

Great to see Teyla getting involved with Tau'ri technology, but good that she still doesn't know everything (unlike the odd sci-fi cliche where aliens can learn Human technology in 2 minutes). When the jumper arrives at the Daedalus at the beginning of the episode, she says something along the lines of "It's not the Apollo or any of the others", so she may not be fully in the know of the Earth ships, especially those in the Milky Way. Ronon not being able to use the railguns was hilarious, and shows that, despite him being great at hand-to-hand combat, when it comes to technology, his weakness shows.

Something I would also LOVE to commend the CGI artists on. THANK YOU for not fully lighting up every light on the Daedalus with low power! The small lights illuminating various parts of the ship (like the name) are not on throughout the episode. As is shown here: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1217820337
                          And the railgun sequence, amazing!

As mentioned before, the character relations in this episode were fabulous. McKay was his usual panicing self, Teyla is becoming more proefficient with Tau'ri technology, Sheppard did an amazing job leading the team and Ronon still can't use Tau'ri buttons (despite him being able to use a P-90 when he first joined the expedition ). Teyla giving McKay the baby to hold at the end was a great addition, and Lorne got some good screen time with Zelenka. Although we were missing Keller and Woolsey (he was mentioned however), it still felt like a good team episode with great interaction.

The plot itself was a great premise. We've dealt with traveling through time many...times...but not in a way such as this, although the Quantum Mirror iwas similar, but it was controllable. I did not see the 'reverse through time' idea at all and was stumped until that point as to what the solution could be. Although, I was expecting some sort of 'asteroid collision' issue when they arrived at the Destroyed Planet reality. Saved Rodney a bit of stress.

I wasn't fully certain of how the team would escape the Daedalus after the alien decompressed the bay. There's also a slight notion of continuity from "The Intruder" in that there is only one way in and out of the bay, so the team couldn't just walk to the jumper with the space suits. Unfortunately, once the Daedalus changed timelines after arriving at the our's, it was a tad too obvious that the team took some spacesuits and went out a dock or something. But, if you think about it, what other way could there have been?

Overall, this episode was really good! Amazing writing, CGI (the whole F-302 fight, which was really long, was all well done), team relations and aliens!

Comment

SGA - MGM Stargate - 11 NEW photos from The Daedalus Variations - Aug 4 '08:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=397

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Shortly after the AU John Sheppard scene i thought it would have been funnier if it wasnt John Sheppard in the 302 but rather Lieutenant Colonel Rodney McKay

There is something funny to me when thinking about a militarised McKay.

Comment

What the hell is up with S5?! It's just sooo good! Another great ep. Loved it. CGI was amazing. New enemies' fighters were cool, hope to see them more around. Yet another alternative reality story, but with new twists and all. Best part was Ronon hitting the buttons.

Teyla's sudden wisdom mastering tech was surprising, but nothing I can't live with.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X