Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Teyla was so hopped up on pregancy meds that she simply forgot her father's name (I know it begins with a T... Torri?... Teryl?.. almost had it... darn meds). This will be revealed in a stand-alone episode that is being hastily crafted for the back half of season 5. I think the working title is "D'oh! I Meant To Do That". And yea, I'm kidding.
    I hope TPTB give us a creative solution to the problem of The Dad That Had Two Names. Something silly. SGA could use a little silliness, from time to time. IMO, of course!
    sigpic

Comment

Maybe they do follow the mother's line, as the baby's last name is 'Emmagan' and not whatever Kanaan's is?

And Kanaan doesn't even get the middle name, either.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

*Watches Search and Rescue, looks at the way Leela Savasta hadles a gun, throws up* OMG!!! This is just... *throws up again*

Comment

*hands Panjus a towel and a glass of water*

There, there. The episode is over. Be sure to flush the toilet when you're done.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
          O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
            *Watches Search and Rescue, looks at the way Leela Savasta hadles a gun, throws up* OMG!!! This is just... *throws up again*
            Ew.

You're cleaning that up.

Comment

Hahaha! Well said!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                *hands Panjus a towel and a glass of water*

There, there. The episode is over. Be sure to flush the toilet when you're done.

Thanks... OMG! *throws up again* If I was a girl, I'd think I'm pregnant now. Okay that should've been the last one. *cleans the floor*

Comment

She was not that bad.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    I'm sorry, but it doesn't work like that. Every civilization the expedition meets isn't a default 'western style' culture until the it's stated otherwise, that would be ridiculous.
                    Very well put.
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
                      The writers have never shown the Athosians to be matriarchal. The fact that JM has refused to answer this question on his blog leads me to believe it was a goof and they are too embarrassed to admit it.
                      Umm. Not answering a question does not equal "refusing to answer a question". He gets a LOT of questions posted on his blog and only answers a small fraction. Casting aspersions as to his motivations/opinions based on which questions he does answer is facile at best...

The Athosians don't have to be a matriarchal society for them to use their mothers name instead of their fathers. We pass on names from the male side, but that doesn't mean we live in a patriarchal society.
                      Umm. I agree with the first part of your post but are you honestly suggesting that we don't live in a partriarchal society?

The writers have never stated that, so until they do, it isn't canon and the Athosians are a culture most westerners can identify with, and that would make Tagan a male.
                      No, that's assumption on your part. "Well, they never explicitly stated otherwise" does not make your assumption fact. It's certainly not canon that the Athosians are matriarchal but that doesn't mean they aren't/won't turn out to be - there has been nothing canon to contradict that possibility. You're basing your assumptions on western Earth culture - the Athosians are a) not from Earth and b) an agrarian hunter/gatherer society, not remotely at a level of development we would consider equivalent to western Earth society. So why should anyone assume that they would conform to the societal norms of Earth western culture?
                      sigpic

Comment

It was a so-so episode. Atlantis tends to have like 2-3 episodes per season that really actually matter, the rest is filler or things we've seen like a million times.
                        My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

The Athosians don't have to be a matriarchal society for them to use their mothers name instead of their fathers. We pass on names from the male side, but that doesn't mean we live in a patriarchal society.
                          I thought about that. She gave the child her last name, not Kanaan's. Maybe that's what she meant when she said she gave him her father's name.
                          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
                            Search & Rescue 4/10

Poorly structured, badly paced, and of a quality no better than a mediocre mid season filler piece.
                            If this is the whiz bang opener to hook in the audience, god help us.
                            It had about as much excitement as waiting in a long checkout queue.
                            Proves the show is on its last legs but will watch the whole season anyway since it's the last for the show.
                            You ever read the magazines in the checkout line?
                            || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

The writers have never shown the Athosians to be matriarchal. The fact that JM has refused to answer this question on his blog leads me to believe it was a goof and they are too embarrassed to admit it.
                              Did he actually say "I refuse to answer that"?

Comment

Still teyla has never spoken of her mother, but did mention memories about her father.

Comment

Working...
                                X