I Throw Up My Hands in Defeat: The Triangle IS Poorly Written

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
    And Ronan...again he's competitive...he's a hunter so of course he's gonna get his jollys from rattling McKay's cage
    Yes, because being a hunter and competitive obviously also means you're a jerk and like to play around with people's emotions and incite rage, jealousy and sadness just for "the lulz".

Also, reply to my previous post (the one preceeding your post, the one I'm currently quoting). Note that I just edited in a large amount of text into it, so reread it if you've already read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
      So, in essence, you see nothing wrong with this love triangle being reduced to a competition between Ronon and Rodney for a woman who seems oblivious to the whole thing and is, in effect, encouraging them both?

Because I see plenty wrong with this version of Jennifer. She's apparently so naive as to not see that these men are interested in her when it is plain as the light of day. And is also so lacking in compassion that she's oblivious to the fact that the man who professed his love for her (Rodney) had been hoping for some personal time with her in Tracker and negates to mention to him that Ronon would be joining them. Then she stands around and stares as they both whip out their measuring sticks to determine whose is bigger while fighting over who gets to carry her bags.

I also see plenty wrong with this Ronon who has taken it upon himself to be around her so often that he's now known as her "protector" (don't get me started on how demeaning to Jennifer that is, the thought that she would need one in the first place) and then proceeds to rub it in Rodney's face when he is around her. He shows no respect towards a teammate that he fought to save in The Shrine, going so far as to say that, "he owed [Rodney]" that last bit of dignity. Now they're at war over a woman? Friends don't do that.

And Rodney? Desperate and incapable of expressing himself. Yet again. Where's the growth there? The depth of character? Growth would have been him confronting Jennifer, not Ronon, at the end of Tracker so as to ascertain her intentions. Because in starting a potential relationship between two people, she's the one she should be talking to. Not initiating a competition with Ronon.

Reason enough for you?
      As for her being completely oblivious, like I said in my first post, I think that I would just choose to believe that we have just not seen that part of Keller yet. If she were to have blown the whistle in FC or Tracker, then it wouldn't make for any sort of funny storyline with the triangle gone kaputs. Imagine, if you would (excuse my horrible dialogue writing skills):

McKay: I'll carry her bags!

Ronan: No I'll do it!

Keller: Ok, guys stop it. You know I'm never dating either of you anyways. I like Chuck. (lol!)

What could have lasted for ten-ish episodes is gone in half a scene, and completely annihilates an episode storyline.

Of course she'll have to make a decision on them eventually. But in the meantime, I think she's just playing dumb.

BTW, they're holding a friendly competition (I don't want it to sound like a friendly game of basketball, but it's no all out war). I don't interpret it to be a big fight between Ronan and McKay.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Jollys??

Rodney and Ronon are on the same team and are/USED to be friends. In the Shrine Ronon was willing to fight Wraith to get Rodney to The Shrine. Now he is getting his JOLLYS at going for the same girl that Rodney Likes!

That is not the Ronon I have watched for four years!
        Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

But that's just not behaviour you conduct yourself with amongst friends. It's disrespectful and it's cruel. Who needs enemies when you have friends like that?
          Oh for pete's sake...You've honestly never had a friend tease or frustrate you for a little laugh? really?

The fact that TPTB had him confront Ronon makes this not Rodney trying to woo the love of his life, but competing for the love of his life with someone he thinks also has claim to her. That's why I don't like this.
          ...have you...completely ignored McKay's character up to now? He's not the greats social body...he doesn't know any better...
          "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
            Of course she'll have to make a decision on them eventually. But in the meantime, I think she's just playing dumb.
            Why, because it's fun? You don't play around with love. Especially not at their ages and with what they do (they risk their lives on a daily basis, well, not so much Jennifer).

BTW, they're holding a friendly competition (I don't want it to sound like a friendly game of basketball, but it's no all out war). I don't interpret it to be a big fight between Ronan and McKay.
            I'm sorry, how old are you? They're not 15. Ronon's already loved and lost the love of his life and become jaded. While Jennifer is supposedly young, Rodney and Ronon are 40-ish.

You don't play around and "hold friendly competitions" over love at that age. In fact, I would never dream of doing it (I wouldn't at 15 either) and I'm only 23. Some of us are mature enough to recognize that love isn't something you play around with, especially not when you're leading a life which could lead to your death any day now.

Some mature at a young age, but most have come to that point once they turn 30. It's what happens when one has gone through life dating and searching for true love and realized that it's not something easily found and to play around with.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
              Yes, because being a hunter and competitive obviously also means you're a jerk and like to play around with people's emotions and incite rage, jealousy and sadness just for "the lulz".

Also, reply to my previous post (the one preceeding your post, the one I'm currently quoting). Note that I just edited in a large amount of text into it, so reread it if you've already read it.
              I don't think Ronan is doing this only to make McKay squirm. I think he's got a legit interest in Keller also.

Comment

Stuff
                Shpinxinator, you seem to either have missed my past two replies directly to you or you're pretending to have missed them, hoping that'll get you off the hook. Here they are, go wild:
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....6&postcount=58
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....0&postcount=61

Comment

I don't think Ronan is doing this only to make McKay squirm. I think he's got a legit interest in Keller also.
                  Stop rewriting what I write in your head to suit your arguments better.

I never said anything remotely like that. What I said was in response to Ronon "playing around" with Rodney, as in having some kind of demented contest and smirking at him, things you usually don't do at his age and with his experience, not to mention against friends, being a result of him being a hunter and competitive.

You just don't do that at his age, with his experience (with love and life) and against friends.

Comment

Momoa is 28/29
                    Stait is 26/27
                    Hewlett 40
                    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Haha oh goodness now now now there is no need to get so defensive
                      "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
                        Momoa is 28/29
                        Stait is 26/27
                        Hewlett 40
                        Fine, Momoa is 30-ish. I thought he was 30-something. 28-29 is still an age where most men have gone past the immature "Love can be played around with!" age, especially considering Ronon was once married, was a Runner for several years, where he couldn't even form friendships, let alone romantic relationships and he's currently leading a life where he could be killed each time he goes off world (which is very often).

Lead a life like that and you will have wised up and learned that love is something precious, something you can't find easily and that it's not something to toyed with or tease others over, especially not when they're friends.

Which is why he comes off as such as jerk in this episode.

Haha oh goodness now now now there is no need to get so defensive
                        Stop stalling and actually reply to my posts. And you seem to have the wrong definition of "defensive". My post was accusatory.

Comment

Stop stalling and actually reply to my posts. And you seem to have the wrong definition of "defensive". My post was accusatory.
                          Haha oh for pete's sake...I have responded I've said my peace but your just being silly because McKay seems to be losing to Ronan...I know it must be a very offensive that someone disagrees with you so...I'm very sorry but I don't agree

Comment

Why, because it's fun? You don't play around with love. Especially not at their ages and with what they do (they risk their lives on a daily basis, well, not so much Jennifer).
                            I think she just has much more pressing matters on her mind than deciding between two guys. And imagine the fallout if she just all the sudden picked one over the other. If she picked Ronan, McKay would be either devastated or whiny, or both. If she picked McKay, well, who knows what Ronan would do. This is to not even mention her feelings for either of them.

I'm sorry, how old are you? They're not 15. Ronon's already loved and lost the love of his life and become jaded. While Jennifer is supposedly young, Rodney and Ronon are 40-ish.

You don't play around and "hold friendly competitions" over love at that age. In fact, I would never dream of doing it (I wouldn't at 15 either) and I'm only 23. Some of us are mature enough to recognize that love isn't something you play around with, especially not when you're leading a life which could lead to your death any day now.

Some mature at a young age, but most have come to that point once they turn 30. It's what happens when one has gone through life dating and searching for true love and realized that it's not something easily found and to play around with.
                            Proves my above point^.

I only meant by "friendly competition", that McKay and Ronan are not at each others' throats, poisoning each others' food, and trying to eliminate the other one from the "race" completely, a la, a soap opera.

Comment

I guess I just don't see how the competition can be all that friendly when we're talking about a woman that Rodney loves.

As for that scene you mentioned, I actually would have liked to see Jennifer just pick the bags up herself, roll her eyes at the two high-schoolers who had replaced her team mates, and walked through the gate.

Oh for pete's sake...You've honestly never had a friend tease or frustrate you for a little laugh? really?
                              Yes, I have. And I do it all the time myself. But there is a time and a place and I can honestly say that if my friend and I were interested in the same guy, or if one of us loved him like Rodney apparently loves Jennifer, neither of us would behave like these two.

It's different when you're talking about something that could ruin a friendship and love has the potential to do that. Getting over losing the woman you love to a friend is not easy and it would only be made harder by knowing that the friend relished in teasing you about it.

...have you...completely ignored McKay's character up to now? He's not the greats social body...he doesn't know any better...
                              I guess I'll just have to disagree with you on that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Stop rewriting what I write in your head to suit your arguments better.

I never said anything remotely like that. What I said was in response to Ronon "playing around" with Rodney, as in having some kind of demented contest and smirking at him, things you usually don't do at his age and with his experience, not to mention against friends, being a result of him being a hunter and competitive.

You just don't do that at his age, with his experience (with love and life) and against friends.
                                It does all seem awfully OOC for the Ronon we've come to know over the years. I don't know if the writers are "trying something different" with the characters or what, but it's a bit jarring.

Comment

Working...
                                X