I Throw Up My Hands in Defeat: The Triangle IS Poorly Written

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
    She sounded quite annoyed at Ronon following her around when she was talking to Woolsey.
    When? In the cafeteria scene?

No, no she didn't. That was not an annoyed look on her face. That was more of a coy, "Oh really? Fancy that!" kind of look.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
      When? In the cafeteria scene?

No, no she didn't. That was not an annoyed look on her face. That was more of a coy, "Oh really? Fancy that!" kind of look.
      Well ive only watched the episode once.

The weird thing is that Keller seems completely oblivious to how McKay and Ronon are acting around her.

Comment

The weird thing is that Keller seems completely oblivious to how McKay and Ronon are acting around her.
        Oh no she's not! LOL! The giggling at Ronon, the teasing Rodney (who told her he loves her, so she knows how he feels)... it's seriously cheapening all three of them.
        sigpic

Comment

I KNOW! Which is the part that I hate the most about this triangle.

She's being portrayed as utterly naive and oblivious and I hate it because she can't be that naive or oblivious. It's just not possible.

We know that she's had social interactions with people before and probably a boyfriend or two (although that isn't certain), and she may not be very adept at those interactions but she at least understands them.

She was flirtatious with Ronon and interpreted his signals correctly enough to get into a "near kiss" situation with him. We know she's capable of being in a relationship due to TLM. And she knows how Rodney feels for god's sake. Yet TPTB continue to persist in writing her as if she's got some sort of wall around her when it comes to feeling the tension around her.

It's frustrating to no end because it's a major disservice to all the characters involved.
          sigpic

Comment

It may seem stupid but i wish they had a episode where (and im stealing idea's from Star Trek here) Keller gets infected by something and if she doesnt have sex within 3 hours she will die. That way Keller will be forced to chose between Rodney and Ronon and the triangle would be decided very quickly and reasonably painlessly.

Comment

The LAST people I'd entrust with something as complicated as a love triangle is the boys club at Stargate.

As for me, I find it hard to believe that Ronon doesn't have anything better to do than go hither and yon with Jennifer, just to pull Rodney's pigtails. I think its obvious that he has feelings for her.

I really wanted to like the idea of Rodney and Jennifer. I thought what happened at the end of Trio was sweet. And if the writers had propelled the idea forward from that point, had actually BUILT on that, I think it could have worked. But there was not so much as a hint that that little encounter had happened, until The Seed, when Rodney expressed concern that Jennifer wasn't getting any sleep.

And then, suddenly, in The Shrine, he's expressing his love for her. It just doesn't compute.

And the worst part of all this nonsense is that it seems like Jennifer has replaced Teyla on the team. And that's just a world of wrong.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                FAII, what kind of world has it become when I begin to agree with you?
                You see, my pessimism isn't so much pessimism as realism. I've seen enough TV, movies and Stargate to be able to guess my way to a lot of things.

It's not that I'm against shipping or love triangles as a principle, it's just that I knew all along that it would degenerate into something like this, which was why I was against it from the start.

As I said in "that other thread", the Stargate PTB have a track record spanning 8+ years of bad shipping and that was when there were only two people involved.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                  Tell me, my friend, what did you see between "Trio" and "The Sanctuary" to suggest that Rodney had fallen in love (and actually using the "love"-word) with Jennifer?
                  Nothing, which is why The Shrine was so unbelievable.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana

Comment

i cant say i care about the traingle at all. we saw what, about 5 seconds of it? it didnt bother me regardless of how it was written. if there was a whole episode based around it then i might care somewhat, but other than that.. it didn't really affect what was an excellent episode
                    "There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind"

Woolsey: That sounded like another explosion.
                    O'Neill: Yes. Yes it did.
                    Woolsey: What does that mean?
                    O'Neill: Something exploded...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lewisco View Post
                      i cant say i care about the traingle at all. we saw what, about 5 seconds of it? it didnt bother me regardless of how it was written. if there was a whole episode based around it then i might care somewhat, but other than that.. it didn't really affect what was an excellent episode
                      Amount of screen time doesn't matter. It's what happens during that screen time that matters.

If John brutally murdered a child for no good reason in "The Lost Thribe", should we not care since it was over within seconds and never revisited again?

Comment

I thought it was really bad in this episode too. I can handle Rodney acting the way he does because he's not all there socially, but Ronon? Naa, they've written it like the sort of love triangle you'd see in Harry Potter or something. Maybe it could be salvageable if Ronon really was just having a laugh, but I think it's clear now that he's not. I just want it to die now, and soon.

Comment

Ok I didn't like Keller before this started (ok I loathe her) but now I'm starting to really dislike Ronan and McKay as well (trust me I didn't think disliking McKay was possible!)

What a pair of chumps they are turning out to be. I mean, why would anyone (and that includes Keller) want to be involved with two men who behave like a pair of overgrown school boys.

Jenks was right, romance in harry Potter looks sophisticated compared to this twaddle.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                            Amount of screen time doesn't matter. It's what happens during that screen time that matters.

If John brutally murdered a child for no good reason in "The Lost Thribe", should we not care since it was over within seconds and never revisited again?
                            okay.. of course we'd care. for one that'd be ridiculous. and wouldnt make any sense to Shepphards character. im saying in this instance the few seconds we saw they rodney/keller/ronon triangle had no impact on the episode and was hardly much of an ordeal to sit through. unlike a child being murdered. when theres a full scene of a poorly written love traingle, then i may feel theres good reasons to complain. for the few moments we saw it, it hardly seems worth the fuss. i say, forget it. and remember the episode for what made it pretty darn amazing.
                            "There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind"

Woolsey: That sounded like another explosion.
                            O'Neill: Yes. Yes it did.
                            Woolsey: What does that mean?
                            O'Neill: Something exploded...

sigpic

Comment

okay.. of course we'd care. for one that'd be ridiculous. and wouldnt make any sense to Shepphards character. im saying in this instance the few seconds we saw they rodney/keller/ronon triangle had no impact on the episode and was hardly much of an ordeal to sit through. unlike a child being murdered. when theres a full scene of a poorly written love traingle, then i may feel theres good reasons to complain. for the few moments we saw it, it hardly seems worth the fuss. i say, forget it. and remember the episode for what made it pretty darn amazing.
                              That's all well and good, and I wasn't saying that the triangle ruined the episode. I was merely pointing out that an aspect of the episode (and an on-going arc on the show this season) was, IMO, written poorly.

The problem that I have with it is that it won't just be isolated to this one episode. There will be more and, quite frankly, I'd rather not see more of it if we're just going to be shown more of the same shoddy characterizations.
                              sigpic

Comment

okay.. of course we'd care. for one that'd be ridiculous. and wouldnt make any sense to Shepphards character.
                                Meanwhile, Ronon's actions aren't at all ridiculous or out of character?

im saying in this instance the few seconds we saw they rodney/keller/ronon triangle had no impact on the episode and was hardly much of an ordeal to sit through. unlike a child being murdered.
                                Hey, John randomly murdering a child for no good reason while no one sees him, an action never spoken of again (thus, no impact on the episode or the show) which lasts only a few seconds...

when theres a full scene of a poorly written love traingle, then i may feel theres good reasons to complain. for the few moments we saw it, it hardly seems worth the fuss. i say, forget it. and remember the episode for what made it pretty darn amazing.
                                I'm sorry, have you seen the past two episodes? It amounts to "a few scenes". Also, what makes you think it'll stop here? Have you not been watching the show for the past 11 years?

Poor shipping, it's what the Stargate PTB do.

This triangle is going to persist. It's going to be popping up again. It's going to be shoved into our faces. And it's probably going to stay on the same level of writing (bad).

Comment

Working...
                                X