This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amconway View Post
    I just couldn't disagree more. I always found SG-1 to be very interesting, and much better at exploring larger ideas and dilemas than SGA. The lack of context, and emphasis on pure action often did SGA a great disservice, both in terms of character development and storytelling. In my opinion, of course.
    I just never felt much connection with the SG-1 characters, and the shows that I did happen across were often quite dull. Generals and politicians dithering at each other, worrying about reporters revealing the big secret, etc. That kind of stuff doesn't interest me all that much.

I don't care for a show that's pure action either. I don't think SGA was that type of show in the earlier seasons. Unfortunately, it's become more so in the last few seasons. The characters that I found funny and charming were largely turned into cliches in S5.

I personally think the lack of character development had less to do with SGA's setting than it had to with the writer's unfortunate fascination with all things McKay.

People have different taste. What worked for SG-1, doesn't necessarily work for SGA. I just don't want to see what I consider to be some of the worst aspects of SG-1 incorporated into SGA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      Big difference here. In the finale they just skipped over how the wormhole drive activates. Skipping the crucial story point of convincing the IOA to send Atlantis back to Pegasus would be a mistake.
      IMO, in the finale they skipped over a lot more than showing us how the wormhole drive activates and it made EATG hard to watch because it felt so rushed. Mallozzi mentioned on his blog that he didn't want EATG to be a two parter because he wanted it to be fast paced. Well, I disagreed with him there, but I wouldn't have a problem if he skipped over the showing us how Atlantis got to leave Earth for the movie.

The writers will have less than 2 hours to work with for the movie and I have no interest in seeing any of that precious time wasted on IOA machinations and/or other Earth-based dullness. SG-1's earth-based episodes were my least favorites and I would especially hate to see the Atlantis movie in a Earth setting.

Yeah, the question of whether Atlantis goes back kind of IS the story. And how they keep Daniel from stopping them.
      If the storyline of SGA movie is how Atlantis gets to leave Earth, then I will save time and money because I won't be watching. If I want to see the IOA and the SGC in action then I'll watch the third SG-1 movie instead.

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
      Well, if that is the story, it'll be a very dull one for me. I could care less about the SGC, bureaucratic arguing, the IOA, etc. That's a large part of what turned me off to SG-1.

SGA should be about Pegasus. I hate Earth-bound episodes. I can see Earth and arguing politicians on any other show.
      I agree with you about how dull SG-1's Earth-based stories are. I don't think I've ever watched any of them more than once because I just couldn't get into them.

The SGA movie had better be mostly about Atlantis and the Pegasus galaxy, otherwise I'll give it a pass.

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
      Logic has never stood in the way of TPTB before. I don't care to see Atlantis in the MW at all. That's SG-1 territory and I'm not at all interested.

I really hate the idea of TPTB wasting any portion of the SGA movie on bureacratic wrangling on Earth. It made a snore fest out of SG-1 and I hoped that SGA would stay away from that.
      Indeed. Since when has TPTB cared about logic? With that in mind, there's no good reason why they couldn't have the SGA movie begin with Atlantis already on its way back to Earth. If they want to go into detail about how it got to that point, then they should save it for the next SG-1 movie.
      sigpic
      Sig by Luciana

Comment

I just don't want to see what I consider to be some of the worst aspects of SG-1
        There are no worst aspects of SG-1.

Comment

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Belouchi also writes: “ [...] 3. I was wondering after seeing Enemy at the Gate, Todd says he stole more than three ZPMS, but in Spoils of War we saw that wraith carrying a pouch containing exactly three ZPMS. We assumed three were used and destroyed in the cloning facility, one was used and destroyed on the Super Hive and two were gifted to Atlantis. This doesnt make sense can please explain”

Answers: [...] 3) You assume that there was only one case, the one you saw.
            http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-are-positive/
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
              Big difference here. In the finale they just skipped over how the wormhole drive activates. Skipping the crucial story point of convincing the IOA to send Atlantis back to Pegasus would be a mistake.
              Why? Why is so much more important to show the IOA arguing than it is to give the audience the head's up about the magical wormhole drive that appeared out of nowhere. If anythin, we can already predict with great accuracy exactly what those tedious scenes with the IOA would look and sound like. I fail to see the great attraction. More talking heads and stuffy politicans. Ooh, can't wait.

Seriously? Everything about SG-1 was absolutely perfect? I strongly disagree. It had plenty of faults, IMO of course.

Comment

SGA - Stargate Hub: Atlantis By Design Contest:

At FOX's Stargate Hub SGA Fans' Choice:

It's time!

The Stargate Atlantis Fan’s Choice Keyart Design Contest has launched!

Go to http://www.sgafanschoice.com/ to register and upload your own design for a chance to be chosen as the final artwork for the Stargate Atlantis Fan’s Choice Blu-ray!

The Stargate Atlantis Blu-ray Fan’s Choice disc will contain the "beginning" and the “end" of your favorite series, featuring the extended versions of The Rising and Enemy At The Gate.

And, if design is not your thing but you appreciate good art, then vote, vote, vote! Each artist's work can only be one of the finalists based on your votes. Tell a friend and let them know which design was your favorite at http://www.sgafanschoice.com/

The contest will run from February 20 through March 13, so be sure to get your amazing artwork -- and your votes -- in soon!

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

im still pissed at this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
                    im still pissed at this episode.
                    LOL!!!

Honestly, I'm not making light of your feelings about the last SGA episode. I laugh because I still feel the same way about the last episode of SG1, Unending. And it has been how many years now? I STILL can't believe they wasted the very last episode the way they did.

I know nothing about why you are stilled pissed or your misgivings about the last episode, but I certainly do understand your feeling that way.

Isn't it strange how Stargate show can get in your mind and just stay there? Is that what makes a show 'great'?

I frequently ask myself why I still care so much, but haven't come up with a coherent reason yet. Still too busy ruminating over Unending I guess

Comment

I can see the variety of points but in truth I can see why the writer(s) chose to end it this way.

1. If the city where to uncloak the massive panic of an alien city in San Fransico Bay would cause some people to go biserk... and that is what the government wanted to avoid.
                      2. Even in displacing the water in the bay (from the splashdown) The tide or the sudden overflow of water could be explained by an underwater earthquake.... (thats why they chose S.F.)
                      I'm a doctor.. a medical doctor. I break things like this.. "beckett season one episode one of atlantis"

Comment

I thought they landed in the Pacific Ocean and moved to San Fransisco?
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

This was the last episode you would have thought that they would have been able to give us more space battles, I mean I would have loved to see the Sun Tzu and the Apollo fight the super hive even if they had to lose. And why exactly was no one maning the chair shooting darts out of the sky.
                          sigpic
                          Alt Reality Stargate Fanfic Click and coment
                          STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

So, I finally watched it... the end of my research which I hope to have finished a day or so.

Anyway... got little to say about it really. Didn't think it was all that bad, wasn't spectacular either but okay. Unending and EatG are in the same league, I think.

SGA didn't go out with a bang... that's for sure. But neither did SG1, so I guess that makes them even.

As is custom, there's a little bit of Teyla and Ronon - oh look, they brought them along. How nice of them.

I giggled twice:

First time when Ronon died... Jason looked all cross-eyed. Since I had already been spoiled I knew he wouldn't stay dead so didn't much care for that moment of drama.

Second time with Keller's reaction that Atlantis could be vaporized if Zelenka had the calculations wrong.... "Oh... okay." ... what else can you say, right?

I've seen better... Bye now! See you for the movie (if that gets made).
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

This episode is so cool because they landed near San Francisco.But it's sad that Stargate Atlantis ends only after 5 seasons!

Comment

Izzy writes: “In Enemy at the Gate, I was touched to see the homage to the late Don S. Davis. What were your thoughts when you read the script and saw that Sam would be the one to pay homage to him?”

AT: I cried. I can’t say enough about Don and what he means to all of us.
                                http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/
                                sigpic
                                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X