Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree but for sci-fi genre there is one standart that basically viewers expects something totally new that a ship or alien or adventure. In other genres like a war movie or romance movie everything is clear that some shooting some kissing some fighting and end of story. The original Stargate movie was something totally new stuff thus all these series were born but the producers or writers are making certain serious mistakes of Copying in numbers of episodes so I guess by season 5 their fuel has run out.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
      I don't know if I can remember any less noticeable recurring character than her in anywhere. I can remember only 2 other episodes she was in so far and even then all her scenes could hardly be called more than cameos.
      She was in 9 eps and had lengthy parts in most. Lets see she was in Search and Rescue, The Seed, The Shrine, The Queen, First Contact, The Lost Tribe, The Prodigal (she really kicked ass in that one), Remnants, and Infection.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel View Post
        I've been a Stargate fan since the movie. I stuck with the show despite its flaws and focused on the good sides, the good episodes. I had very high hopes for Enemy at the Gates and it left me very disapointed and then it became obvious that as a franchise, Stargate is dying. And I blame it on the writing team, who seem to have lost their imagination.
        As have I though I disagree that the franchise is dying. IMO Enemy at the Gate shows that the writing is as strong as ever.

I truly didn't realise how bad Atlantis had become until I watched BSG's new episode last night and came to the conclusion that it was the best TV episode I ever watched. And that the writing on Stargate had only decayed over the last couple years and that the powers that be made mistakes. Killing off Beckett was the first error. Booting Weir was an ever worse mistake. I think it only became worse and worse from there. I won't even get into how I puke a little every minute McKeller is on screen and to think they wasted so many episodes on Keller.
        This shows just how different people's ideas on "great tv" is. BSG's latest ep IMO was uttter crap. Now I'll agree that killing Beckett was a mistake however Weir is not all on TPTB it's also on Torri but I won't start that argument up again. However as much as I hate to admit it I do miss Weir when I watch the first three seasons. However Carter was a great leader as is Woolsey. The show hasn't degraded IMO and I don't see developing Keller a mistake.

The same writers are going to do Universe and from the first few episodes, we already see plots that have been used before. I'm a big Carlyle fan, but one good actor can't salvage this.
        So you either have a time machine or are psychic since the very little information about the plot does not collaborate your assumption.

But back on the subject, Enemies at the Gates was a bad ending for such a series. Too many plot holes, the story not being smart enough and the focus shifting to some new characters we don't care about while putting those we like in the background (Like Amelia being on the balcony, but not Zelenka or Lorne, or even Chuck) all made it a terribly disapointing experience.
        Change we to you since you can't say "characters we don't care about" unless you know that no one likes said characters.
        I give Universe one season, and I'm sure it doesn't get renewed, pretty much like Knight Rider.
        I said the same about SGA and it lasted 5 years and was a damn good show. Knight Rider tried to change too much about the show too fast that is why it failed.

Comment

Got a question. Not sure if it has been pondered here or not. Here goes!!

From what I hear, I haven't seen "Enemy At The Gate" so may have read this wrong.

But now with Atlantis now on Earth. Will they still have their own Gate Address or will they have the same one as the SGC???

I know that the two gates that were on Earth (SGC and Antarctica, and for a time in Russia) had the same address. But was curious about the fact that until now the Atlantis gate was in another Galaxy!!!
          MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
          MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
          POLARIS TORONTO 2007
          CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
          GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
          VCON VANCOUVER 2010
          FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

You can't move Earth.

The address to dial Earth will still be the same. Now if the Atlantis gate is connected when a person dials Earth they gate will Atlantis.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I was just curious since the Atlantis gate has been in another Galaxy for millions of years. Whether their address would stay the same or would it change.

Would be interesting to find out who you find when you Dialed the address. Will you find John and company. Or will SG1 be waiting for you when you come through!!!
              MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
              MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
              POLARIS TORONTO 2007
              CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
              GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
              VCON VANCOUVER 2010
              FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
                OMG. At the end i was like really... drop the damn cloak!
                Exactly what I said. XD

Just let Earth know for Æsir's sake!
                Hail the gods and goddesses of Ásatrú!

Spoiler:
                I hate Sci-Fi, instead of ending series when it comes to a point where they are beating a dead horse, they want to end the series right! While they are still on top! How dare Sci-Fi end series' with good memories? -_-'

Spoiler:
                General Nick Fury: What are you smiling about?
                Hawkeye: All this. What do you think? A few years back, S.H.I.E.L.D. was just you, me and a drinks tab trying to bring down the Soviet Union. Now you're sending thunder gods up against aliens and telling Captain freakin' America what to do. It's just too cool for words.
                General Nick Fury: It is kinda cool, ain't it?
                -- Origin of my nickname, from Ultimates Volume 2.

Comment

I like the idea of Earth not knowing about the stargates. I loved S1 of SGA when they were comfortably cut off from Earth and all the IOA, SGC politics that Earth would bring. One of the major failings of the few SG-1 episodes I saw was all the political wrangling. I found it absolutely boring.

I can just see Atlantis being turned into a sight-seeing junket for every random senator, congressman and other random Earth dignitaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                    I like the idea of Earth not knowing about the stargates. I loved S1 of SGA when they were comfortably cut off from Earth and all the IOA, SGC politics that Earth would bring. One of the major failings of the few SG-1 episodes I saw was all the political wrangling. I found it absolutely boring.

I can just see Atlantis being turned into a sight-seeing junket for every random senator, congressman and other random Earth dignitaries.
                    Yet I found it fascinating and intellectually thrilling.

*shrugs*

Horses for courses.

There are pure action orgies of space battles for some, and high brow intellectual political commentary for others. That's why Stargate works.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      Yet I found it fascinating and intellectually thrilling.

*shrugs*

Horses for courses.

There are pure action orgies of space battles for some, and high brow intellectual political commentary for others. That's why Stargate works.
                      Uh, no. Not really. There's got to be something in between those two extremes. How about likable, interesting characters? Creative stories? I thought early SGA had all of that.

Comment

Uh, no. Not really. There's got to be something in between those two extremes. How about likable, interesting characters? Creative stories? I thought early SGA had all of that.
                        Well yes... but creative stories can apply to both the political and the space battles, and the likable interesting characters are not connected directly to the story per se being told (I dont see why all characters must be likable). Besides, I don't see why it must be one or the other. Take Sg1 S9 - Camalot. There was a great political sub plot with the Russians and the Chinese, and a devastating space battle.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                          Well yes... but creative stories can apply to both the political and the space battles, and the likable interesting characters are not connected directly to the story per se being told (I dont see why all characters must be likable). Besides, I don't see why it must be one or the other. Take Sg1 S9 - Camalot. There was a great political sub plot with the Russians and the Chinese, and a devastating space battle.
                          I did say likable, interesting characters. I do think any character ought to be either or both of these to be successful.

I have found political issues to be interesting in other television shows, but I've never found them to be either particularly interesting or clever on Stargate. It's all very simplistic and boring IMO, and certainly not a reason I watch SGA.

As you said before, people have different reasons for watching. You enjoy political aspects of Stargate. I don't. It's one of the various reasons I never had much interest in SG-1. The lack of humdrum Earth politics and military regimentation was one of the positive factors in SGA for me.

Comment

I did say likable, interesting characters. I do think any character ought to be either or both of these to be successful.

I have found political issues to be interesting in other television shows, but I've never found them to be either particularly interesting or clever on Stargate. It's all very simplistic and boring IMO, and certainly not a reason I watch SGA.

As you said before, people have different reasons for watching. You enjoy political aspects of Stargate. I don't. It's one of the various reasons I never had much interest in SG-1. The lack of humdrum Earth politics and military regimentation was one of the positive factors in SGA for me.
                            Lol.

And yet the military side of Stargate is that which draws me in the first place.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CFAmerica View Post
                              Exactly what I said. XD

Just let Earth know for Æsir's sake!
                              Bad idea. That would turn the world upside down.

Comment

I'd rather be told that aliens exist by the world governments than have a ha'tak flying overhead as part of an invasion force tell me that I'm not alone in the universe.
                                At this point, I find it ridiculous that, for all the observatories and radio satellites and Jack-level amateur astronomers and... that no one has seen all these ships in the sky or picked up radio chatter.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X