This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DragonLadyK View Post
    Our first hint of Runners was in "Poisoning the Well" from Season 1.

"PERNA: His journals tell of one man who survived an encounter with the Wraith. Ferrel and his team discovered that this man possessed a unique protein, one that enabled him to resist the chemical released by the Wraith to precipitate draining of life from their victims."

Later, Ronon himself says,

"DEX: I was captured during a culling on my planet. I was taken to a ship. A Wraith started to feed on me. (Flashback of a Wraith with his hand on Dex's chest who suddenly stops looking surprised, then looks down at his hand.) Something made him stop."
    The key here isn't the "made him" part, it's the "something"

This implication was expanded upon in "Spoils of War," where Ronon appeared to use this immunity as a tactical advantage:

"HIVE QUEEN: Tell me what I want to know, or I feed on one of your friends.
    (John still doesn’t answer.)
    HIVE QUEEN: As you wish.
    (She turns towards the other two.)
    DEX: Well, if you’re hungry, I’m the one you’re lookin’ for."
    Nothing about that suggests that Ronon can't be fed on. In fact it says he can and would most likely "taste" better than Shep.

The implication has always been that Ronon is immune to the regular Wraith feeding process and was therefore made a Runner instead of lunch like the rest of his people. The viewers who are upset are not crazy.

That being said, we do know from "The Lost Boys" and "The Hive" that Ronon is suceptible to a purified form of the enzyme.

So, then, the Runner immunity to feeding must be a dosage problem. TPTB didn't show it (because their attention to detail is nonexistent), but all the Wraith would have needed to do was give Ronon a dose of purified enzyme before beginning the regular feeding process to make him vulnerable.

TPTB need a beta reader to tell them to show these things. To avoid confusion. *mutters* Kinda like Teyla not even trying to shut the Hive ship down in "The Seed."

DragonLady
    Was there even a Hive ship in 'The Seed'? Cause all I remember was the seed.
    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      For those of you keeping track, Tyre saved the day in this episode.
      Yes he did. It was a nice change.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I think I enjoyed the B storyline better. Teyla struggling with her decision to stay with Torren or join the team I liked how she showed anger when Sheppard went offworld without her.
      I agree.
      I really like Ronon, so I was looking forward to a Ronon-centric story. What I got was a fairly unexciting, but well-acted Ronon story. There were some parts that seemed a bit slow. Like the extended feeding sessions. Or Ronon repeating "you're wasting your time, I'm not going to turn." As if anyone expected him to say anything different. Maybe I just don't care for the whole brainwashing/addiction thing (feels like we're rehashing Ford's addiction mixed up with when Teal'c was brainwashed). And I thought Tyre turning into a good guy was a little too quick and easy. But, the withdrawal scenes were well done - a bit disturbing and uncomfortable, but that's to be expected with the subject matter. And it was nice to see the team doing their best to support Ronon. Basically, I thought the Ronon plot line was so-so. It was okay, but not great.

However, the Teyla B plot was wonderfully done. I was shocked that Kanaan was allowed on Atlantis. The scene where he talked with Teyla was great. I've never felt like we knew anything about him as a character before, and finally I can see why Teyla would have started a relationship with him. I also think it will be interesting to see how Teyla develops this year, considering she now has a family. I know some people will be irritated by the emphasis on baby and family on an "action" show, but I think it gives Teyla a refreshingly "real world" feel.

Woolsey was great all the way through. Especially his scenes with Teyla. Interestingly, I thought Sheppard came off as a bit insensitive in contrast to Woolsey (both in regards to Teyla, and in regards to Tyre's withdrawal). I will say yet again that Robert Picardo is a terrific actor. I'm definitely excited about seeing more of him.

Oh, Rodney staying up all night worrying was also rather funny. It was nice to see Rodney (and to some extent, even Sheppard) take a back seat in this episode, and yet still have a few funny moments without overpowering the other characters.

Overall, I thought it was a strong episode. And some great character development. Easily my favorite episode of the season so far.
      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

A nice, solid episode—I enjoyed it greatly.

I know a lot of people hate the addition of random love interests and most of all children...but as long as we don't get Kanaan and Torren every week, I'm really loving this storyline. Provided they don't die or disappear any time soon, I think it's a good thing for the show, taking them in a direction that SG-1 never managed to achieve, and adding to that familial feel of the city and characters.

I really didn't like Kanaan in the Kindred or S&R, but I did enjoy him here. Yes, he's rather blandly nice, but isn't that how Teyla described him in Missing? And yes, they don't have sparky chemistry...that's what happens when two people who've known each other since childhood get together as adults. It's a relationship built on friendship, not passion, though the latter fuels it. And that showed very well on screen, the comfortable companionship and support. Nicely written and acted, IMO.

I didn't really enjoy Ronon's wee trip down the dark side—loved the resisting and the withdrawal/recovery, but the stuff in between was not too interesting.

Woolsey—I've always sympathized with the character (being a rule-follower at heart) even though I've disapproved of him, but here I actually liked him. Yes, he's annoyingly beaurocratic, but as we've seen over the years, he's getting there. I loved the little comic moments about the Yorkie and the Atlantis doors—nicely played without being forced. And of course his suit! And Torren! Instead of being the guy we love to hate, he's the guy we love to patronize. In other words—canon Woolsey post-season 8.

And was that last scene absolutely brilliant or what? Like the montage in Unending, it's a tiny bit out of place, but a huge majority just well done. I watched it about three times, squeeing with glee. Even if the rest of the episode varied in quality from fair to good, this last scene solidified it a "very good" in my book.

7/10

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
        ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Bravo Woolsey. The perfect replacement. I forgot all about Weir and Carter. Like Claudia Black, Robert Picardo is an asset. Seeing the episode the second time, I can find more +ve than -ve.
          Last edited by Integrabyte; 26 July 2008, 12:38 AM.

Comment

I really liked this episode, and found myself getting a bit emotional in some of Ronon's withdrawal scenes at the end. The bit where Sheppard came in and gave Ronon the sword made me sniff! What am I like?

So, I liked both plots. I didn't find the feeding scenes long winded really. I thought it was important to show how much Ronon had gone through before he was turned to the dark side. I liked Tyre here. He looked absolutely dreadful to start with, so kudos to the make-up artists here. I did know he was not bad in the end, that was a little obvious, but I didn't expect him to sacrifice himself, so that was a nice touch.

Jason did a wonderful job here. I felt this really was his best performance so far. I felt very sad for Ronon, and thought the withdrawal scenes were very realistic and quite disturbing.

I loved Woolsey. I didn't have a problem with him becoming leader. I was surprised, sure, but not concerned. RP is a great actor, and Woolsey is a great fit so far. I love the comic bits as well as his more understanding nature. I think he's going to be fantastic!

I loved Sheppard too. The way he was itching to go get Ronon but had to patiently ask Woolsey for permission - I like that squirming as he waited for the all clear. I also saw his distress at Ronon's plight - that was evident on his face. I did laugh when Shep said he wasn't going to share a bath with Rodney and also laughed at Shep's face when drinking his coffee towards the end. Was it cold, or just horrible tasting? I also liked the way Sheppard really gave Teyla the kick up the backside she needed in order to make a decision. At first I thought he was being a tad harsh, but then when he said he'd been under pressure from Woolsey to find a replacement and that he couldn't ask her which missions she wanted to do or not to do, that he was right - she needed to follow her heart one way or the other.

Teyla was great here. She was indecisive, understandably so, and really needed to sort herself out. She did, and I'm glad she did. How cute is that baby?

Kanaan? Well he was better, thank goodness. I don't want to see the family playing happy families too much though, but am glad he was supportive of her wishes. I hope this has answered questions and drawn a line under the whole baby/returning to work saga for the moment. It needed to be addressed, and it has. It was well done, IMO, so let's move on, for now

Liked Rodney. Especially when they went to the first planet and initially found nothing and he said he said it was a waste of time and that he thought it would be a long shot etc.. and then when Lorne's message said they'd found something he said "I knew it!" Also liked him talking away to Ronon about his piano playing childhood. That was a nice touch, IMO.

So, overall yet another top notch episode. Well done to JM here. I think he wrote a balanced and emotive script. Special mention to go to Jason. I felt Ronon's pain and torment! At the moment it gets 8/10. That could change as The Seed has been upgraded to 9/10 since last week!

I look forward to The Daedalus Variations. Wow, that looks good!
            sigpic

Comment

I liked the episode but prefered last week's. There are good and bad scenes but in the end the good scenes win.

In no specific order, my thoughts...
              Jason did a great job looking in pain or being tortured and Tyre was awesome in every possible way but the b-storyline aka Teyla resuming or not active duty was boring! Ok, it had to be dealt with but I thought her scenes with Woolsey were lame.

Woolsey was really too sympathetic in the episode. The change is too quick for my liking. I like gradual changes and this happened too fast. Teyla asking him if he has children and him telling her he had a yorkie, he divorced from his wife and she got the dog! How... not that fun. I want a middle ground Woolsey. Him locked in the conference room was fun but his other scenes were forced.

Teyla seemed almost transparent but in the end she comes back to active duty so it's good. Kannan is living on Atlantis and takes care of their son, I never thought this would happen. yay! *happy familly*
              I loved the baby's wood crib, very nice to see something different design.

Rodney stayed up all night worrying about Ronon? I thought that was weird. Why is he that affected about Ronon? Has he done that for anyone else? Am I the only one that thinks it was a bit out of character?

The bathing line was funny. Relax to get a brilliant idea! I laughed at the McShep attempt however Sheppard refused to take a bath with Rodney! ROFL

LORNE!! Cute Lorne! SQUEE. That was short but I still drooled upon seing him. *lol*

Kudos to the make-up artist for Ronon and Tyre looking....hmm really awful!

Oh gosh Woolsey doesn't look a bit sexy on the gateroom balcony. I want Carter back!

Teyla leaving her son in Woolsey's hands (OMG! This was scary! lol)

Ronon wakes up under Rodney's watch. I died from laughter when I heard what Rodney was talking about. That feels like old times! David's second episode in SG1, Redemption... him talking to Sam about playing the Piano. SQUEEEEEE! I loved that scene!
              Well Ronon was not really listening anyway, Rodney is happy and screams like a girl "He is back!" Bravo David!

The music in Woolsey's quarters... OMG! *covers ears*

And to finish a good laugh, Rodney in his bath is a MUST SEE! I wonder what cleaver idea he got!

My grade: 7.5/10 for Tyre, Ronon, Lorne and for trying to make this a bit funny.

Comment

so is Woolsey the leader of atlantis????? couldn't tell. It seemed like Sheppard made all the choices and Woolsey was like do what he says.

Ok episode but actor chemistry is way down this season than compared to season 1. Thats what happens when u remove like 4 regular cast members. I mean compare acting from earlier atlantis seasons to now and there is like a huge difference.

I mean Ronan was played way better in the episode Sateda(304) then this episode and similar Ronan based story. In Sateda seemed like Sheppard and stuff really wanted to rescue him here didnt feel like their heart was in it. Except Teyla.

storyline felt really rushed and i getting kind of sick of the characters getting into trouble and at the end of the episode all is merry.

Although episode had funny bits. Mackay in bath tub lol.

disappointing start to season 5 so far.

Comment

Well i really liked this ep....The bit in the conference room was pretty funny,how Woolsey couldn't get the doors open.....I was one of the ones that was on the fence in regards to Woolsey but from what i've seen so far i like him

Also it's good to see,well not good perhaps for Teyla but it's good to see her struggling with what to do in regards to returning to the team...It's a big decision to make so i'm glad they had her go through it and actually had it on screen instead of off screen...Also great to see someone else getting whumped for a change instead of Shep...Now all we need is some good Teyla whump and Rodney whump

I loved the Woolsey/Teyla scene in his office and him talking about his beloved dog.... I never invisioned Woolsey as the comforting kind but he was trying to stay positive about Ronon...

Um ok....Can y'all believe this is the third ep in a row that i've liked Rodney Thank goodness they've toned down the whining and babbling alot..

I actually kinda felt sorry for Tyre when he was going cold turkey so to speak...

Um there is something else....Um i kinda liked the Teyla/Kanaan scene...psst just don't tell my fellow JTers He was so different from the hybrid Kanaan..The way he supported Teyla whatever decision she made..

Oh and a little angsty moment between Teyla and John when he more or less told her to make a decision one way or another..

hehe and Woolsey with bambino was kinda sweet and funny..

I knew that Tyre didn't turn against them again...I figured it they would have known it'd be a trap and come up with a plan for it..

Poor Ronon all sweaty and tied down like that Bet the Ronon whumpers were pleased

hmmm something more comfortable...I wouldn't have called a suit and tie comfortabnle but each to their own

So glad the Rodney in the bathtub wasn't as bad as i thought it would be...Thank goodness for bubblebath

So all in all i loved this ep very much......And glad the focus was on someone else other than Shep or Rodney for a change...Now all we need is for Teyla to get a turn
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hank View Post
                    i getting kind of sick of the characters getting into trouble and at the end of the episode all is merry.
                    Isn't that kind of... every episode over Stargate's 15 years?

As for the character chemistry, I can see what you mean, but I also don't think it's as lacking as you say. McKay and Sheppard's chemistry is still great, Sheppard's and Teyla's chemistry is still good, McKay's and Keller's and Sheppard's and Keller's chemistry is good, and I think Woolsey already has good chemistry with the group in general.

I'll have to abstain on whether Ronon's chemistry with the others is "still" there because I never thought it was there to begin with.

I think the chemistry just kind of "evolves" over time.

For instance, McKay's and Sheppard's relationship was more dynamic to a certain extent in Season 1, because they weren't friends yet, so there was some tension there. Now they're best friends, so it's a more easy, companionable type rapport.
                    Theoretically spoilerish:
                    Spoiler:
                    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Does anyone know the name of the classical piece playing at the end the episode?
                      Thank you.
                      Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                        Well i really liked this ep....The bit in the conference room was pretty funny,how Woolsey couldn't get the doors open.....I was one of the ones that was on the fence in regards to Woolsey but from what i've seen so far i like him

Also it's good to see,well not good perhaps for Teyla but it's good to see her struggling with what to do in regards to returning to the team...It's a big decision to make so i'm glad they had her go through it and actually had it on screen instead of off screen...Also great to see someone else getting whumped for a change instead of Shep...Now all we need is some good Teyla whump and Rodney whump

I loved the Woolsey/Teyla scene in his office and him talking about his beloved dog.... I never invisioned Woolsey as the comforting kind but he was trying to stay positive about Ronon...

Um ok....Can y'all believe this is the third ep in a row that i've liked Rodney Thank goodness they've toned down the whining and babbling alot..

I actually kinda felt sorry for Tyre when he was going cold turkey so to speak...

Um there is something else....Um i kinda liked the Teyla/Kanaan scene...psst just don't tell my fellow JTers He was so different from the hybrid Kanaan..The way he supported Teyla whatever decision she made..

Oh and a little angsty moment between Teyla and John when he more or less told her to make a decision one way or another..

hehe and Woolsey with bambino was kinda sweet and funny..

I knew that Tyre didn't turn against them again...I figured it they would have known it'd be a trap and come up with a plan for it..

Poor Ronon all sweaty and tied down like that Bet the Ronon whumpers were pleased

hmmm something more comfortable...I wouldn't have called a suit and tie comfortabnle but each to their own

So glad the Rodney in the bathtub wasn't as bad as i thought it would be...Thank goodness for bubblebath

So all in all i loved this ep very much......And glad the focus was on someone else other than Shep or Rodney for a change...Now all we need is for Teyla to get a turn
                        So you didnt jinx the ep as expected - in regards to Rodney and whining

this was another good solid episode imho.

though id like to see some more conflict between Woolsey and the team, he seems to be over accomodating at the moment. where's my hotzone moment? i was expecting something along those lines early on in the season? maybe there setting us up for something big (i hope) conflict wise.

3 eps in and i already prefer this season to last i hope that continues.

damn those bubbles there was icon heaven in that tub
                        sigpic
                        banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Well, some mixed feelings here. I think I don't like jaffa, er... I mean, Satedan episodes. But the biggest problem was, that it was plain (and) predictable, and served only one purpose, to have a mission for Teyla to decide. On the other hand the B plot was fine, all with Woolsey, the Kanaans and Sheppard not wanting a bath with Rodney.

The whole wraith worshiper idea is good, now we saw how it works, and what withdrawal symptoms it will cause. But the story was weak, as it was written by the numbers which was rather disappointing from Misters Mallozzi and Mullie, which ever stopped caring for it during writing.

Some points though:
                          1. No one said that wraith could not feed on Ronon, ergo not plot hole.
                          2. Keller keeps being not liked by those, who don't like her, no surprise here either.
                          3. Who plays Teyla's baby?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                            So you didnt jinx the ep as expected - in regards to Rodney and whining

this was another good solid episode imho.

though id like to see some more conflict between Woolsey and the team, he seems to be over accomodating at the moment. where's my hotzone moment? i was expecting something along those lines early on in the season? maybe there setting us up for something big (i hope) conflict wise.

3 eps in and i already prefer this season to last i hope that continues.

damn those bubbles there was icon heaven in that tub

Nope i didn't but i'm not gonna talk too soon

I prefer this season alot more too....It's just so good to see Teyla back
                            sigpic

Comment

This was just a borefest for me, and I almost fell asleep in it.

Woolsey, who I expected to hate this season, has become a character I love to watch (Woolsey and the baby was priceless). Maybe the writers are dumbing down everyone. Maybe the writing in general is less consistant. Maybe Picardo is just a better actor than some of the others. Who knows. But Woolsey saved this episode from sinking into the "really bad" catagory.

I did like the Woolsey and Teyla scenes. Woolsey came off much better than Sheppard, who seemed harsh, but he (Shep) was too harsh with her when he found out she was pregnant. Seriously, if TPTB intent to ship those two, I can't for the life of me figure out why she would want someone who only shows anger towards her. Ronon, Carson, even Lorne come across as caring and understanding, but Sheppard just comes across as an uncaring ass sometimes. He may be easy on the eyes, but I really wouldn't want to spend much time with his personality.

Speaking of Lorne. What a waste this time around. He was there, yet he wasn't. He has become a much more interesting character than, "We found something!". We like him. Use him!

The Tyre and Ronon scenes didn't impress me. Even the swordfight was poorly edited, badly lighted, and when the film gets a boost in speed to make the action faster, I really tune out. That could have been done better. Much better.

Someone please duct tape Keller's mouth. She grates on me something fierce.

This whole episode had the feeling of, "oh we have to do something, but we are brain dead this week so we'll just do this."

Last week wasn't too bad. This week wasn't too good. Better luck next week dudes.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
                                Well, some mixed feelings here. I think I don't like jaffa, er... I mean, Satedan episodes. But the biggest problem was, that it was plain (and) predictable, and served only one purpose, to have a mission for Teyla to decide. On the other hand the B plot was fine, all with Woolsey, the Kanaans and Sheppard not wanting a bath with Rodney.

The whole wraith worshiper idea is good, now we saw how it works, and what withdrawal symptoms it will cause. But the story was weak, as it was written by the numbers which was rather disappointing from Misters Mallozzi and Mullie, which ever stopped caring for it during writing.

Some points though:
                                1. No one said that wraith could not feed on Ronon, ergo not plot hole.
                                2. Keller keeps being not liked by those, who don't like her, no surprise here either.
                                3. Who plays Teyla's baby?

I liked Keller in this ep

Oh and another thing......I didn't really like this wrsith very much!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X