This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cobymal View Post
    I have one little question. In season two doesn't Ronin say the Wraith couldn't feed on him?
    I thought the Wraith just didn't feed on him because they sensed his strength and knew he'd make a good Runner.

Shep 'Home' sig made by Luciana! (I made the rest.)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by diane23 View Post
      i thought the wraith just didn't feed on him because they sensed his strength and knew he'd make a good runner.
      Bingo!

Comment

I thought the Wraith just didn't feed on him because they sensed his strength and knew he'd make a good Runner.
        They never said one way or the other, just left it up to interpretation in "Runner".

I felt the Wraith had a weird, frustrated look and couldn't feed on Ronon in "Runner", and everyone I know feels the same way. This just came across (for me) as another goof on the part of the writers, like Teyla's father's name.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
          I This is an ep that will have to soak in a bit, that is more than just action.
          So your just like Rodney
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Hey um, quick question. Did the Wraith's voice sound different to anyone else, or was it just me? I'm honestly curious here, because something sounded different to me. I know not every single Wraith is the same and everything, but most of their voices always sound so similar..

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Hey um, quick question. Did the Wraith's voice sound different to anyone else, or was it just me? I'm honestly curious here, because something sounded different to me. I know not every single Wraith is the same and everything, but most of their voices always sound so similar..
              Your not alone. That Wraith didn't have the same scare as other Wraith
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Your not alone. That Wraith didn't have the same scare as other Wraith
                Ah, yeah..he seemed different. Much less scary..

Comment

Ah, yeah..he seemed different. Much less scary..
                  Maybe he hadn't hit puberty yet.

Comment

He didn't seem to have the audio effects added to his voice. You know how all the others tend to have a scratchiness to their voice, like the Go'auld have the resonance? He didn't seem to have that so much.
                    Steve, Bob and Todd. What chummy guys!

Comment

The voice was terrible. The actor's was already too highly pitched, and then it wasn't treated enough. It was like Woolsey talking under the makeup.

I think the Wraith voice alone brought the episode done. To buy the episode I have to buy the baddie, and the baddie was incredibly bad.
                      My Livejournal
                      I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                        Maybe he hadn't hit puberty yet.
                        Lol! Ah, Wraith adolescence.

Originally posted by A Wraith Named Bob View Post
                        He didn't seem to have the audio effects added to his voice. You know how all the others tend to have a scratchiness to their voice, like the Go'auld have the resonance? He didn't seem to have that so much.
                        Yeah, I couldn't figure out what was different, but it was definitely the audio effects. I wonder why they did that.. Weird.

Comment

Okay, I liked this one. Good action, good characterization, good team stuff, good acting. Props to JM for some kick-ass emoting, despite the wig.

I really liked the scenes with Tyre. His sweaty, twitchy, strung-out and wrung-out take on withdrawal was wicked. And it was good to see someone else beside Sheppard be the one to step up, put his life on the line and save the day for a change.

That being said, Sheppard was in high military form in this ep, all reined in and tough. I really loved the way he locked eyes with Tyre, and they both knew that Tyre was not going to be "right behind." The tone of his voice when he tells the teams to move out was sharp as a blade.

And I, for one, liked Rodney in the tub. Okay, so he's no John Sheppard, all lean and sexy, but Hewlett's no dog. He's attractive — in a normal, kind-of real-life way. And yes I have seen the pics from the film he made. It's a nice butt. Nothing to go crazy over, but nice.

Overall, I give it a solid 8 out of 10.

Comment

Our first hint of Runners was in "Poisoning the Well" from Season 1.

"PERNA: His journals tell of one man who survived an encounter with the Wraith. Ferrel and his team discovered that this man possessed a unique protein, one that enabled him to resist the chemical released by the Wraith to precipitate draining of life from their victims."

Later, Ronon himself says,

"DEX: I was captured during a culling on my planet. I was taken to a ship. A Wraith started to feed on me. (Flashback of a Wraith with his hand on Dex's chest who suddenly stops looking surprised, then looks down at his hand.) Something made him stop."

This implication was expanded upon in "Spoils of War," where Ronon appeared to use this immunity as a tactical advantage:

"HIVE QUEEN: Tell me what I want to know, or I feed on one of your friends.
                            (John still doesn’t answer.)
                            HIVE QUEEN: As you wish.
                            (She turns towards the other two.)
                            DEX: Well, if you’re hungry, I’m the one you’re lookin’ for."

The implication has always been that Ronon is immune to the regular Wraith feeding process and was therefore made a Runner instead of lunch like the rest of his people. The viewers who are upset are not crazy.

That being said, we do know from "The Lost Boys" and "The Hive" that Ronon is suceptible to a purified form of the enzyme.

So, then, the Runner immunity to feeding must be a dosage problem. TPTB didn't show it (because their attention to detail is nonexistent), but all the Wraith would have needed to do was give Ronon a dose of purified enzyme before beginning the regular feeding process to make him vulnerable.

TPTB need a beta reader to tell them to show these things. To avoid confusion. *mutters* Kinda like Teyla not even trying to shut the Hive ship down in "The Seed."

DragonLady
                            "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

Thank you, DragonLady! I was thinking of those specific episodes without having the quotes to hand. I clearly remember the flashback...the wraith puts his hand on Ronon, stops, looks confused, and snarls. And I knew that research on the Hoffan drug was started in the first place because they found someone who was immune.

I actually wondered during "The Lost Boys" how they got around Ronon's inability to absorb the enzyme. I suppose dosage is as good an answer as any.

Honestly, though, the wraith feeding on Ronon when he shouldn't be able to kinda spoiled the rest of the episode for me, despite the great lines and scenes with the other characters.

I would only add that in "Reunion" we get the impression that the Satedans were tortured by the wraith for a very long time before becoming Wraith-worshippers, and I found it unrealistic that Ronon could be brainwashed in so short a time.

Of course, Rodney in the tub at the end made up for a lot of the shortcomings in the plot.

Comment

I think I liked last week's episode better than this one. And that's not saying much.

Even Major Lorne couldn't make it better. Boy that was a quick recovery from a broken leg. Or it seemed like it was anyway. Maybe enough months had passed. Course that's one story detail that I don't care if it's believable or not because I didn't want him gone very long.

Ronon turns into a Wraith worshiper just like that? I know it was a time period of couple of days/a week or so but still. Eh whatever. Not buying it. (And I don't even care about the can they/can't they feeding controversy.)

The Teyla bits were good. At least we did get to see her struggle a bit with her decision to return...like her conversation with Shep. I still find Kanaan to be a weak character. I just don't see it between those two. But anyway, his remark about her owing it to the galaxy to go back. wth. She owes the galaxy nothing. Poor choice of words, imo. Even if it did lead to the general reason that her presence out there was a way to possibly bring hope of a better life for her child and other humans in Pegasus.

There were some good character moments though that I enjoyed.

Two of those not being when Woolsey got shut in the conference room and then when his idea of "comfortable" clothing is a business suit. Seriously? Come on. They try to humanize him with the dog story and then we get that.

And just why would the doors shut on him? That's me not laughing at that. Why didn't the doors ever close on Carter? Probably because she wasn't there to be made fun of. Was Chuck sitting out there playing with the door controls? Bad Chuck. Stop that. I don't want you reassigned.

Anyway I liked the Shep/McKay convo in the mess hall and umm well some of the other ones. I only saw this ep once. The character bits were again the highlight of the ep rather than the story...well except for Teyla's B story.
                                IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                                X