Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man i dont even know what im feeling now...mixed feelings from every emotional spectrum

and my stomach hurts too. MGM hope you rot in hell

Comment

so, of sci-fi didnt cancel it, would that mean they're still willing to air new Atlantis if they swtiched to a different company like Paramount?
      or are sci-fi just going to be complete idiots and think "oh well we dont need stargate anyway" when they so blatantly do.
      "There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind"

Woolsey: That sounded like another explosion.
      O'Neill: Yes. Yes it did.
      Woolsey: What does that mean?
      O'Neill: Something exploded...

sigpic

Comment

I've just read the news and I'm in total shock. I'm so pissed off I don't even know what to write. How could they do this? I was so looking forward to more seasons...and now? This just plainly s***!!!

My Art
        McKay: Are there any side effects?
        Beckett: Dry mouth, headache, the irresistable urge to run around in a small wheel.

Comment

Not sure I can do much from France (season 4 DVDs have not even already aired!), but I can at least sign petitions.
          My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
          Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lewisco View Post
            so, of sci-fi didnt cancel it, would that mean they're still willing to air new Atlantis if they swtiched to a different company like Paramount?
            or are sci-fi just going to be complete idiots and think "oh well we dont need stargate anyway" when they so blatantly do.
            Stargate is owned by MGM.

Comment

So, may i ask the question Who made the asinine desion on the cancellation on SGA was it MGM or Sci-Fi channel? So, I can direct my emails to them

LS

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                The thing that I continue to find funny about this whole SGU business is TPTB insistence, from the very beginning, that it would have nothing to do with either of its predecessors.

That never made much sense to me.
                They only mean in terms of storylines. Given the title, "SGU" there will be some "relation" to SG1/SGA, but self-contained, I imagine, in that there are no storyline references to either...

Originally posted by topaz_bean View Post
                The most dangerous thing about this whole decision is that there won't be Atlantis to tie people into SGU if it even gets picked up.
                MGM is aware there is a solid fan base already and I suspect that gives them leverage to pursue the financial direction they'd prefer. That takes the decision away for the shows producers of where (and in tandem) how to take SGA creatively. Personally I hate this aspect, but I believe fans will be fans as long as there is quality in the product. If we see quality suffering we're gone. SGA will most likely end with a great movie that satisfies, but that itself won't generate interest in any future series or franchising. This route *may* serve to reunite SG1-only and SGA-only fans under one banner, but we're talking about "potential" appeal for an SGU series that gives the powers that be the solid ratings they want. That said, and irrespective of what anyone else's opinions are about whats going on behind the scenes, MGM seems to have effectively forced the producers to put all their eggs in one basket, and this feels like it's heading toward an either/or (alive/dead) result in all things Stargate. Financially they have nothing to gain with the possiblity of SGA's ratings suffering too much by having it run concurrently with SGU (not to claim they would), for any period of time; esp. considering there's no creative relation to SGU (consider that SGA was birthed by SG1). I'm not faulting the creative conception of a 3rd series that has yet to be realized. I think that's great. But in finalizing a series with at least one more season, one that's already appealing, with stable fan base, is a slap in the face to any fan's enthusiasm and doesn't generate any more momentum. The producers can only hope that their creative chops and the potential interest in just one series (irrespective future SG1/SGA movies) is enough to get the same solid fan base to stick around "after the show". The MGM scrutiny over SGU ratings can only be greater now, and I think that makes this particular and unfortunate path more perilious than wise.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Stargate may attract a pretty large number of viewers, but the proportion of those that could genuinely be called a fanbase is incredibly small.
                  Only in terms of SciFi channel viewership. You fail to take into account the huge numbers of fans INTERNATIONALLY. Of course, OUR opinion holds no sway over the live TV wrangle as we don't count for doodly-squat in the ratings wars.

The whole face of television viewership has changed, yet TPTB still insist on primitive live ratings to gauge a show's popularity. And that's thanks to those whiny pusbags who advertise their garbage on television not selling enough of their substandard products.

Pity the fanbase doesn't have the final say on the television production industry. Instead TPTB are constantly kowtowing to the whims of used car salesmen and multinational junk food pushers.
                  sigpic
                  My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidSky View Post
                    So, may i ask the question Who made the asinine desion on the cancellation on SGA was it MGM or Sci-Fi channel? So, I can direct my emails to them

LS
                    MGM did. MGM produces shows. Sci-Fi is in the business of choosing what shows to air; a "subscriber" of sorts.

Comment

Oh my God, I am so pissed right now. This entire week seems to suck for me and now I just heard that they've cancelled Stargate Atlantis - even though the ratings are higher than a few seasons ago and they're leaving it hanging with another major story arc that won't even get wrapped up properly. Just like with SG-1. Perfect. This was just the perfect cherry on top of my already lousy week.

Burn in hell, MGM/Sci-fi channel. (I don't even care who's responsible for it)

Comment

True Stargate is owned by MGM and they screwed over the original creators of the story, Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich, who wanted to make a series of movies. MGM, seeing dollar signs in front of their eyes wanted a TV show instead.

I should have seen this coming. At the convention in Vancouver in April, Brad Wright said that it was nice doing only one show at a time so SGU probably wouldn't get off the ground until SGA had "had it's run". Well it looks like 5 years is the run. The fans raised their voices then to let him know that we wanted SGA for a long time to come. A lot of good it did us! Actors will tell you that show biz is vicious and heartless and they should know, our faves will be looking for work now!

I have emailed both MGM and Scifi. I kept the language clean but I let them know that they have let us down and that they should expect to hear from the best fans a show could have.

It is after 1am so I guess I should go and try to sleep! Expect to hear from my daughter Kalasethinee tomorrow. She is one very angry and upset young woman.
                        Last edited by Jewels; 20 August 2008, 11:31 PM. Reason: something to add

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle Splasher View Post
                          MGM did. MGM produces shows. Sci-Fi is in the business of choosing what shows to air; a "subscriber" of sorts.
                          If the contract is anything like the SG-1 one then it doesn't work like that, if Sci Fi stopped buying the series then MGM would have no choice but to stop making it.

Comment

JM blog will probably give us some more insight on the cancellation of SGA in his blog on Thursday. If I read his posting correctly.

LS

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              If the contract is anything like the SG-1 one then it doesn't work like that, if Sci Fi stopped buying the series then MGM would have no choice but to stop making it.
                              As I described it that's pretty much the role of each. However what you state is a distinct possiblity, it's just not the case here. SG1 started out on Showtime then Sci-Fi. MGM was behind the show during both. It's possible that a production Co. like MGM could give up on a series if a cable channel didn't pick it up, but not a certanity.

Comment

Wow, I really didn't expect SGA to end so soon. It's a shame...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X