Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torren John Emmagen is the "Boy Who Lived"!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't stand Harry Potter but good effort none the less. I prefer fantasy stories like LOTR and Narnia but nice comparision.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      I can't stand Harry Potter but good effort none the less. I prefer fantasy stories like LOTR and Narnia but nice comparision.
      I'm not a fan of any on these book series but aren't they all fantasy stories with simliar backgrounds.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I'm not a fan of any on these book series but aren't they all fantasy stories with simliar backgrounds.
        No.
        Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

Not even close. Yeah they are fantasy but the comparison ends there.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Wow, you did a great job! (Greened you already!)

I really enjoyed reading the comparisons. Fun!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
            O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

LOTR - world building, world destroying (wash, rinse, repeat). Tale telling on an epic scale, influenced by ancient English and Scandinavian sagas. Entire languages, alphabets, peoples, histories, worlds created. Top with fresh hobbits.

Narnia - Biblical allegory with a kickass lion.

HP - Boy meets world. World tries to kill boy. Read last book for conclusion.

Tolkien and Lewis were friends and colleagues. Rowling is very, very, very, very, very, very rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                LOTR - world building, world destroying (wash, rinse, repeat). Tale telling on an epic scale, influenced by ancient English and Scandinavian sagas. Entire languages, alphabets, peoples, histories, worlds created. Top with fresh hobbits.

Narnia - Biblical allegory with a kickass lion.

HP - Boy meets world. World tries to kill boy. Read last book for conclusion.

Tolkien and Lewis were friends and colleagues. Rowling is very, very, very, very, very, very rich.
                Interesting summation of the three. Especially Potter. Not a fan I take it?
                Although. You are right when you do get down to it.

Comment

Now that I read it, my two cents.
                  Way to go, this was an amazing amount of effort trying to put all the pieces together. Probably during your time over the last couple of days, weeks, whatever, just came up with it in slow tangents.
                  But no.
                  And for one very simple reason. There may be a million things wrong with your theory, not really most of it is pretty good and intriguing. But the simple fact of the matter would be that Atlantis is never going to focus on the baby, and his life, as Harry Potter did. Sure, you may see his arc explored from time to time to time, and Micheal, who is your greatest comparison btw, might try and go after him a couple of times, but the focus of the show will always be Shep's team, their adventourous, and battles with baddies.
                  However your theory could have a little more credence if this was not, Harry Potter, but a prequel of sorts telling about how the Order of the Phoenix (Atlantis) battled Voldemort in his minions. (micheal and co.)
                  And...my own personal theory is that Harry Potter is mostly Star Wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                    Now that I read it, my two cents.
                    Way to go, this was an amazing amount of effort trying to put all the pieces together. Probably during your time over the last couple of days, weeks, whatever, just came up with it in slow tangents.
                    But no.
                    And for one very simple reason. There may be a million things wrong with your theory, not really most of it is pretty good and intriguing. But the simple fact of the matter would be that Atlantis is never going to focus on the baby, and his life, as Harry Potter did. Sure, you may see his arc explored from time to time to time, and Micheal, who is your greatest comparison btw, might try and go after him a couple of times, but the focus of the show will always be Shep's team, their adventourous, and battles with baddies.
                    However your theory could have a little more credence if this was not, Harry Potter, but a prequel of sorts telling about how the Order of the Phoenix (Atlantis) battled Voldemort in his minions. (micheal and co.)
                    And...my own personal theory is that Harry Potter is mostly Star Wars.
                    Sigh. I'm realising it's not worth me trying to explain once again that I just did this for a laugh, because no one will listen anyway, but my pride is being dented considerably by the fact that people seem to think I'm enough of a moron to genuinely think that Stargate Atlantis is actually based on Harry Potter. And yes. The whole point of everything I wrote was that it was a bit like a prequel, otherwise Mckay would have been Ron, and Sheppard would be Harry, wouldn't he?

And for the record - I did it in two hours. I don't have that much time on my hands.
                    Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

Comment

Then again, you could write an entire series of what I just did, with each famous story being a rip of of one before, each as illogical and improbable as the last, because, of course, the story of good against evil, or of a chosen one, is as old as time itself.

Atlantis < HP < Star Wars < Lord the the Rings < King Arthur < The Iliad

I could go on. Maybe find a place for Tristan and Isolde, or maybe some of the Poetic Edda, or bits of the Arabian Nights, or I could just whack Tin Tin in there somewhere for good measure. And almost all of them could be a rip off of the Bible, couldn't they? What do you reckon?

And basically, what this essentially means is that Atlantis is the final distillation of thousands of years of the greatest storytelling the world has ever known, which I think is probably what the writers were going for.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                        Interesting summation of the three. Especially Potter. Not a fan I take it?
                        Although. You are right when you do get down to it.
                        Actually, I am an HP fan. Really enjoyed the books and the movies.

Comment

» The one thing that I disagree with most with your theory is that Torren is the offspring of John and Teyla. It's probably just my aversiveness towards that ship, but ... ewww.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                            » The one thing that I disagree with most with your theory is that Torren is the offspring of John and Teyla. It's probably just my aversiveness towards that ship, but ... ewww.
                            Oh I completely feel the same way, and I wasn't saying that Torren was theirs, in fact I acknowledge that this is the central flaw to the entire theory and accordingly make up loads of nonsense to get around it.

No no no, it's unrequited love, Teyla don't wanna know...but that's a discussion for another forum and another topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                              Actually, I am an HP fan. Really enjoyed the books and the movies.
                              Oh...my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by topaz_bean View Post
                                Sigh. I'm realising it's not worth me trying to explain once again that I just did this for a laugh, because no one will listen anyway, but my pride is being dented considerably by the fact that people seem to think I'm enough of a moron to genuinely think that Stargate Atlantis is actually based on Harry Potter. And yes. The whole point of everything I wrote was that it was a bit like a prequel, otherwise Mckay would have been Ron, and Sheppard would be Harry, wouldn't he?

And for the record - I did it in two hours. I don't have that much time on my hands.
                                Indeed to all. And you certainly did make me laugh. And I was certainly intrigued by the whole concept. Just my interpretation of it...thats all.

Comment

Working...
                                X