Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torren John Emmagen is the "Boy Who Lived"!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and:

Cornelius Fudge - Richard Woolsey. This poor unfortunate has been thrown into a situation he is completely ill-equipped to deal with. When he pictured leadership, he envisaged sitting at a desk writing reports informing his underlings of their inadequacies while they sucked up to him royally, not making life-or-death decisions that could affect an entire galaxy and having to put up with the impudence of a not-very-happy group of soldiers and scientists. He's not a bad man, and is gradually settling into his new responsibilities at Atlantis, but by our logic he'll one day be in charge of the entire IOA. God help us all.
    Last edited by topaz_bean; 11 August 2008, 06:28 PM. Reason: I'm a fool who got Robert Picardo and Richard Woolsey mixed up
    Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

Ugh...You need to understand that all stories (good and bad) have certain elements in them that may relate to others. That is how story telling is. Coincidences happen within story telling and because of your likability of the two stories, you would try to make connections. When people have a love for one thing and another, they will try to connect the two.

Anyways, although I cannot stand Harry Potter, I do see some similarities, but I doubt in a million years that TPTB would take story ideas from Harry Potter. -_- They can come up with good, quality writing without touching J.K.R.

But as some have said, you have way too much free time on your hands.

Theory, thumbs down.

Effort, thumbs up.

Obviously, you put great thought into that using a combination of analysis and imagination which gives a thumbs up for effort, but the theory is a bit out there.

All stories will have similarities like I said. Doesn't mean they are rehashed. Human beings have a certain perspective in story telling which allows similarities to happen.

But heh, nice effort there.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
      and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Originally posted by :Orion Coran: View Post
        Ugh...You need to understand that all stories (good and bad) have certain elements in them that may relate to others. That is how story telling is. Coincidences happen within story telling and because of your likability of the two stories, you would try to make connections. When people have a love for one thing and another, they will try to connect the two.
        Okay, criticisms noted, but I think I've made it clear that this is just a bit of fun. I'm not seriously suggesting that the writers have nicked all their ideas from Harry Potter. It does, however, make for quite an interesting study in what elements make a truly great, and popular, adventure story.
        Last edited by topaz_bean; 11 August 2008, 07:09 PM.
        Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          I know, it's creepy, isn't it?

Since "Harry" is just a baby right now, so would the other kid characters in Potter be.

And according to that list, Draco will be at least half-Wraith.
          Maybe Todd does it with the Chinese chick?
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
            Rofl! Man. I never saw that one coming. Honestly, just when you think you can't be surprised any more, you get hit with a curveball like that. Well,
            Spoiler:
            I hear she's going to make an appearance, so
            let's watch this space, shall we?

Comment

» I have to say that I LOVE how you stated Carson as getting himself killed way ahead of schedule. I dunno, but I thought that was funny.

» Interesting. Not an HP geek but know enough about it to get the idea.

Comment

Yeah, see, the funny thing is, I didn't think I was an HP geek either, but my virus-addled brain seems to have decided that it's of the utmost importance that I remember every insignificant detail of the books, rather than recalling where I put the aspirin.

And the teabags.

Comment

» Well, I don't think there's any chance of me personally being an HP geek. I've only seen one movie (the first Ithink, seems a long time ago) and have never read the books.

» My knowledge of HP is all composed of being exposed to many rabid fangirls/boys over the last five years or so. *g*

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                    » Well, I don't think there's any chance of me personally being an HP geek. I've only seen one movie (the first Ithink, seems a long time ago) and have never read the books.

» My knowledge of HP is all composed of being exposed to many rabid fangirls/boys over the last five years or so. *g*
                    Oh dear. This concerns me that I may now be considered a rabid fangirl, though given this thread it would probable be a fair estimation.

And good for you for going against the tide. I resisted for about two years then gave in and read them when I was 14. In all fairness, good stories, dodgy writing, that got dodgier as the series wore on...but then we'd be going off topic...

Comment

avada kedavra = wraith feeding
                      ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

if avada kedavra is wraith feeding wouldnt that make sheppard the boy who lived? or possibly ronan since both have been fed on then had their youth returned whereas torren has never been fed on

would a wraith feed on some one so small we've only ever seen them feed on adults never children maybe they have to wait until their prey is of sufficient size before they can feed.

no i dont think avada kedava is wraith feeding. the discharge from ronans blaster maybe really good theory i had fun reading it
                        Quietly, so as not to alarm anyone, she began to go insane

Comment

Wtf!

sigpic

Comment

That made so much sense that it's scary, green for you.
                            http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

No Avada Kedavra can't be wraith feeding if we're saying they're dementors. In a way you could suggest that ancient technology is magic like you'd use with a wand. There's definitely a bit more zapping and kablooey in the Ancient tech, and a clear point of command for it. You know, you say don't flood this room with radiation or stick a knife through my eye, it occasionally does what you say. Then again, it may occasionally do what you say but nevertheless turn the nearest table into a whale. It's contrary like that. And it's complicated and does a ridiculous number of things and there's all sorts of circuits and sparks flying around that make everyone's brain hurt. The organic wraith based tech is a bit more straightforward, being mostly interested in wrapping people up in clingfilm and/or knocking them out. Magic being versus human being that learned magic...kinda.

This is going beyond just a bit of fun and rapidly declining into me trying not to reveal the extent of just how much of too much I know about HP...
                              Last edited by topaz_bean; 26 August 2008, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                                I did not need that image.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X