Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sheppard - Does He Save The Day Too Often?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    I meant more as a "I did this with my own hands"-thing instead of just providing ideas that later prove successful.

Like John storming in and solving the problem in a Rodneyesque way by defusing a bomb or figuring out a puzzle instead of just going "I have this idea!" which eventually works.
    Brotherhood and fixing the chiair in Travellors are two that come to mind straight away.

Also I would call
    "I have this idea!" which eventually works.
    tactics ( not in every case of course but in a fair few)
    What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

I'm flashing back to the special that was aired right before S2. A fan asked the question of why Shep ran off to rescue Sumner et al. when he was the only one who could fly the jumper. JF answered the question by saying "because he's the hero for God's sake". Well duh. And so it continues.

Seriously though I wish someone else could take a turn just because I'm tired of people criticizing him. He is the hero. That's what heroes do. In The Seed
      Spoiler:
      letting Ronon save Keller would have been my choice of the way to go, but since I'm not writing it I don't get to decide. Personally I think the comment Ronon made in S&R about Shep not having to do everything was a bit of foreshadowing.

Now it's interesting to discuss whether Sheppard's death wish is real or just him valuing others above himself. But I doubt the writers are that deep.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        I'm flashing back to the special that was aired right before S2. A fan asked the question of why Shep ran off to rescue Sumner et al. when he was the only one who could fly the jumper. JF answered the question by saying "because he's the hero for God's sake". Well duh. And so it continues.

Seriously though I wish someone else could take a turn just because I'm tired of people criticizing him. He is the hero. That's what heroes do. In The Seed
        Spoiler:
        letting Ronon save Keller would have been my choice of the way to go, but since I'm not writing it I don't get to decide. Personally I think the comment Ronon made in S&R about Shep not having to do everything was a bit of foreshadowing.

Now it's interesting to discuss whether Sheppard's death wish is real or just him valuing others above himself. But I doubt the writers are that deep.
        Yes but in SG1 even though O'Neill was the hero he wasnt always the one to save everyone else in some selfless act of bravery. The other characters (Daniel, Carter and Teal'c) got their turns aswell.

Comment

it's become predictible.

ronon growls at the wraith and is the muscle
          teyla calms
          rodney rants
          shep selflessly saves teh day and gets owied.

shake it up a little. The formula is becoming a bit too pat and tried and true.

It's becoming a cliche
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Speaking as a huge Sheppard fan, I love to see him race in with a last minute save. But not every time. It was exciting in The Seige when Sheppard flew off to meet the hive ship. I knew he would survive into the next season, but it was exciting to ponder how he might get out alive. But when it's done too often, it becomes dull and predictable. There's no suspense, no drama, it doesn't even seem all that heroic anymore. And I resent that. Sheppard's the hero, and I should get to have the thrill of seeing him do crazy reckless things to save the day. The thrill is gone if it happens nearly every episode in nearly the same way.

Comment

I like the episodes where everyone plays a part to save the day. Or when Sheppard's just the front-man on the day saving. (Give Ronon and Teyla each a difficult piece of the problem of the week to solve, have McKay develop the solution, and Sheppard deliver it.)

But Sheppard's awful pretty, and I don't watch this show to be all that deep, so I don't mind his daring heroics. At least they've developed in-character reasons for his daredevilish ways. Although he's a billion times more interesting when he fails -- so I'd like to see more of that too.
              My Livejournal
              I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by miniglik View Post
                I like the episodes where everyone plays a part to save the day. Or when Sheppard's just the front-man on the day saving. (Give Ronon and Teyla each a difficult piece of the problem of the week to solve, have McKay develop the solution, and Sheppard deliver it.)

But Sheppard's awful pretty, and I don't watch this show to be all that deep, so I don't mind his daring heroics. At least they've developed in-character reasons for his daredevilish ways. Although he's a billion times more interesting when he fails -- so I'd like to see more of that too.
                Thats leads to another interesting question. Has Sheppard ever set out to do anything and failed (other than not rescuing Colonel Sumner in the 1st episode). I cant remember a single example where Sheppard set out to do something and failed to it since the first episode.

Comment

well , i think when u think about it, could look too much BUT....

on the other hand, he is team leader, so whenever he can save the day, he has responsability and duty as a team leader to risk his own life , i think. He is not like general or some other officer who commands from safty zone so he can order or let someone other to save the day, he is out there frontline team leader....soooo.....

like in SG-1 Season 4 e 19 Prodigy, when cadet asks how can Jack take Sams theory over hers, whenever leader has choice to risk his own or the life of others....its not realy a choice.

P.S. my first 2 cents...ever

Comment

SG-1: The team saved the day equally within a season, with Jack or Sam taking a slight lead. Until Mitchell showed up and HAD to save everyone everytime.

Atlantis: John saves the day 98.9% of the time, with 1% going to Rodney and .00000000000000000000000001% going to other characters.
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I'm sorry but this is really bugging me. I really have no problem with Sheppard saving the day, I enjoy it even, but after reading some of the posts in this thread I went back through the episode lists to try and find direct times that Sheppard raced in to save the day and I swear this was all I could find starting with season 2. And some of these don't really even fit the question!

Keep in mind this was the original question: My question is does Sheppard save the day too much compared to his teammates. Sheppard is constantly doing the self sacrifice thing in order to save his Teammates/Atlantis/Earth and it is becoming so common that its losing all its appeal.

Season 2 - The Seige, Intruder, and The Hive
                      Season 3 - No Man's Land, Echoes, The Ark (I have trouble counting Irresponsible)
                      Season 4 - Travelers, maybe Quarantine?
                      Season 5 - Search and Rescue, The Seed

I know I'm probably missing something because I'm writing this fast from work.

But what's the problem? The fact that Sheppard saves the day at all? Or that in the couple times a season that someone had to do the tough stuff, it was Sheppard that did it? From the tone of some of these posts a casual observer would swear that Sheppard was saving the day in 12-15 out of 20 episodes with self sacrificing heroics and I just don't see that!

Sure Sheppard contributes to the "save" on most occasions but so do the rest of the team. I agree that the placement of two eps in a row to start off season 5 was a bit strange but who knows where the Seed originally stood in the lineup.

I think I agree with katikatnik above. Fans are being too picky.

sigs by the talented CazzBlade, elephantgirl,CKO, kali1, csom, Luciana, Torri012 and rachel d..thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by katikatnik View Post
                        IMHO, fans are being way too nitpicky. A thought like that - Sheppard saving the day too often - never even crossed my mind *shrugs* I just think it's natural because a) Joe Flanigan is the lead actor (not my words, Robert C. Cooper's) and b) Sheppard is the military leader of Atlantis. Also, I like him that way - fearless and heroic. I would hate to see him reduced to another "Weir" or "Col. Carter", finding solutions and letting others do it. That would be yawn-worthy.
                        But it's still an ensemble show. He's got the biggest male role, that doesn't mean he has to constantly do the same thing over and over again, with a few exceptions. It gets old.

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                        Brotherhood and fixing the chiair in Travellors are two that come to mind straight away.

Also I would call tactics ( not in every case of course but in a fair few)
                        A few examples when compared to the gazillion scenes and episodes where he comes in guns blazing and saves the day through shooting things.

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                        Yes but in SG1 even though O'Neill was the hero he wasnt always the one to save everyone else in some selfless act of bravery. The other characters (Daniel, Carter and Teal'c) got their turns aswell.
                        Quoted for truthiness.

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                        Speaking as a huge Sheppard fan, I love to see him race in with a last minute save. But not every time. It was exciting in The Seige when Sheppard flew off to meet the hive ship. I knew he would survive into the next season, but it was exciting to ponder how he might get out alive. But when it's done too often, it becomes dull and predictable. There's no suspense, no drama, it doesn't even seem all that heroic anymore. And I resent that. Sheppard's the hero, and I should get to have the thrill of seeing him do crazy reckless things to save the day. The thrill is gone if it happens nearly every episode in nearly the same way.
                        Exactly. We know John's not going to die or even suffer permanent damage. So when he rushes into a fight alone or is the leader, we know it'll just (most of the time) be "shooting things and getting the hell out of there".

It's become old, clichéd, repetitive, you name it. The only suspense is, really, whether or not he'll get whumped.

Comment

A few examples when compared to the gazillion scenes and episodes where he comes in guns blazing and saves the day through shooting things.
                          I believe you said there were no examples of him using his brain, I pointed out there were two off the top of my head, i.e. there are more but I'm at work and don't have the time to concentrate.
                          What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                            I believe you said there were no examples of him using his brain, I pointed out there were two off the top of my head, i.e. there are more but I'm at work and don't have the time to concentrate.
                            I believe I said "Would it hurt the writers to let him save the day through intelligence for once?". Of course, "more often" would've been better.

Comment

Let's see, I tried to do a list. Problem is, I can't always remember who technically "saved the day." Some of them just run together in my head, too, because I saw them so quickly. So, if anyone can help...

Plus, some of them get tricky, Sheppard was the traditional hero all through The Defiant One, but he would be dead if not for McKay and Ford's assists at the end. Here we go:

Rising -- Sheppard
                              Hide and Seek -- McKay
                              38 Minutes -- McKay and Ford
                              Suspicion -- (I can't remember)
                              Childhood's End -- can't remember? McKay?
                              Poisoning the Well -- no one?
                              Underground -- Sheppard, kind of?
                              Home -- no one?
                              The Storm/The Eye -- Sheppard
                              The Defiant One -- Sheppard, but in the end McKay and Team
                              Hot Zone -- Sheppard and McKay?
                              Sanctuary -- No one
                              Before I Sleep -- Weir
                              The Brotherhood -- Team
                              Letters from Pegasus -- No one? Teyla and Sheppard, maybe?
                              The Gift -- Teyla?
                              The Siege Pt 1 -- Dr. Grodin, ?
                              The Siege Pt 2 -- the SGC, Sheppard goes off to be heroic

The Siege: Part 3 -- Sheppard, Caldwell, McKay
                              The Intruder -- Sheppard and McKay
                              Runner -- Ronon?
                              Duet -- Mckay, Zelenka?
                              Condemned -- McKay
                              Trinity -- Sheppard
                              Instinct -- Ronon
                              Conversion -- Ronon and Sheppard
                              Aurora -- Sheppard and McKay
                              The Lost Boys/The Hive -- Sheppard
                              Epiphany -- Sheppard, McKay
                              Critical Mass -- Ronon? (I don't remember)
                              Grace Under Pressure -- Sheppard, Zelenka
                              The Tower -- Sheppard
                              The Long Goodbye -- mostly Teyla, a little Sheppard, McKay
                              Coup D'etat -- Carson and Weir?
                              Michael -- ?
                              Inferno -- McKay
                              Allies -- ?

No Man's Land -- Sheppard, team?
                              Misbegotten -- I can't remember
                              Irresistible -- Sheppard
                              Sateda -- Ronon, team
                              Progeny -- McKay?
                              The Real World -- Weir, Sheppard
                              Common Ground -- Sheppard, Todd, team
                              McKay and Mrs. Miller -- McKay, Jeanie, Rod, Zelenka
                              Phantoms -- Teyla, McKay
                              The Return: Parts 1&2 -- Team
                              Echoes -- ?
                              Irresponsible -- Sheppard
                              Tao of Rodney -- McKay
                              The Game -- Team?
                              The Ark -- Sheppard
                              Sunday -- Carson
                              Submersion -- Sheppard, Teyla, ?
                              Vengeance -- Team?
                              First Strike -- McKay, Caldwell?

Season 4
                              Spoiler:

Adrift -- Team
                              Lifeline -- Weir + Team
                              Reunion -- Ronon, Lorne?
                              Doppelganger -- Team
                              Travelers -- no one, although Larrin and Sheppard both get to save each other
                              Tabula Rasa -- team, but mostly Teyla and Ronon
                              Missing -- Teyla
                              The Seer -- Carter
                              Miller's Crossing -- Sheppard, McKay, Todd
                              This Mortal Coil -- Clone Team
                              Be All My Sins Remember'd -- Everybody but Ronon and Teyla
                              Spoils of War -- Teyla, team
                              Quarantine -- Zelenka
                              Harmony -- Sheppard
                              Outcast -- Sheppard, Ronon
                              Trio -- Carter, Keller, McKay
                              Midway -- Ronon, T'ealc, Sheppard
                              The Kindred: Part 1 -- ?
                              The Kindred: Part 2 -- ?
                              The Last Man -- McKay, Sheppard
                              Last edited by miniglik; 24 July 2008, 06:47 AM.
                              My Livejournal
                              I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

Even if I'm off on a bunch of them, it's still not 98% Sheppard though.
                                My Livejournal

Comment

Working...
                                X