This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
    Atlantis is especially bad for this. It's supposed to be totally international. But then I guess it kind of reflects the American idea of international, a few token and expendable foreign characters, and maybe one important Canadian.
    They ditched the Scot and replaced him with another American. Also when i heard that Amanda Tapping had decided to leave i was really hoping that the new leader of Atlantis would be from another country (maybe Russian) but unfortunately they went for another American.

On another note if they didnt kill him wouldnt Colonel Chekov have been a great leader of Atlantis.

Comment

Yeah, someone from a country other than America would have been good. And ,on Atlantis we had English Peter Grodin who sacrificed himself to destroy one of the Hive Ships coming for Atlantis, one of the most heroic things done on Stargate. Yet another thing we have done to help the program, but again I don't believe we have anything to show for it.

As I have said before, it's pretty stupid. The Russians have gotten more out of the program than any country bar America, and they got it by being malicous and blackmailing the SGC/US. We gave the US the stuff from the Ancient cave and Peter Grodin gave his life to protect the expedition and Earth, but because we haven't used underhanded tactics we are left with little to nothing to show for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
        ^the cold war lasted from 1945 - 1991, not a decade.
        Also most of the cast and crew are CANADIAN (you insist on putting the caps lock on for these things), but you're right in the fact it is made for AMERICA PRIMARILY. However, alot of SG-1 episodes have aired in th UK FIRST (basically the second half of every season from 2 onwards, excluding 9, have aired in the UK/Ireland first). And alot of Atlantis episodes have aired in Canada first.
        Also the US has decsribed the UK as its closest ally, why wouldn't we be more involved? Not anything too much, just an English person with a believable english accent, and a ship that comes and goes from time to time.
        Ok, from 1945 to 1991. I stand corrected. None of this matters, though. It doesn't matter that it airs in the UK before the US. That's SCI FI's decision. My point still stands, that this is an American show written for the American audience. It makes no difference where's it's filmed or where the cast is from. It's a show written for the US first. Expect it to position the US as the best. That's what I would expect from a show written for UK audiences first.

I think some people on this forum get the real world mixed up with the Stargate universe. Finding treasures in England on the show and SGA being an international expedition aren't real. None of the Stargate canon is REAL. Just because they found a fictional ancient device in England doesn't mean that the show writers are writing with UK viewers in mind, or that you're entitled to have them do so. They just needed another angle to tie the story line into an ancient culture. The bottom line is that the show is produced primarily for the UNITED STATES (yes, the CAPS indicate an EMPHASIS.) People think that because made up characters in a made up world found things in their country that their entitled to something in the real world.

Separate reality from fiction people, and try living in the real world for a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
          Separate reality from fiction people, and try living in the real world for a few minutes.
          No, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Repli!kat View Post
            No, thank you.
            Fair enough.

Comment

Ok, from 1945 to 1991. I stand corrected. None of this matters, though. It doesn't matter that it airs in the UK before the US. That's SCI FI's decision. My point still stands, that this is an American show written for the American audience. It makes no difference where's it's filmed or where the cast is from. It's a show written for the US first. Expect it to position the US as the best. That's what I would expect from a show written for UK audiences first.

I think some people on this forum get the real world mixed up with the Stargate universe. Finding treasures in England on the show and SGA being an international expedition aren't real. None of the Stargate canon is REAL. Just because they found a fictional ancient device in England doesn't mean that the show writers are writing with UK viewers in mind, or that you're entitled to have them do so. They just needed another angle to tie the story line into an ancient culture. The bottom line is that the show is produced primarily for the UNITED STATES (yes, the CAPS indicate an EMPHASIS.) People think that because made up characters in a made up world found things in their country that their entitled to something in the real world.

I don't see it as wanting something in the real world. I see it as the show being more realistic. And adding more countries into the mix after they have been helpful towards the program makes it not only more realistic, but also more interesting. And I don't think American audiences are too stupid to comprehend a proper International expedition, they want to add more recurring characters, why can't they add more foreign recurring characters, English, Russian, Australian, whatever.

Comment

I don't see it as wanting something in the real world. I see it as the show being more realistic. And adding more countries into the mix after they have been helpful towards the program makes it not only more realistic, but also more interesting. And I don't think American audiences are too stupid to comprehend a proper International expedition, they want to add more recurring characters, why can't they add more foreign recurring characters, English, Russian, Australian, whatever.
                I agree. There's nothing wrong with wanting a more diverse cast or adding characters from different countries, but people act like because SG1 found Ancient artifacts in England the writers somehow owe them something in the form of a UK starship.

Also, maybe you can quote me, but I don't remember saying American audiences are too stupid to comprehend a proper international expedition.

Comment

I agree. There's nothing wrong with wanting a more diverse cast or adding characters from different countries, but people act like because SG1 found Ancient artifacts in England the writers somehow owe them something in the form of a UK starship.

Also, maybe you can quote me, but I don't remember saying American audiences are too stupid to comprehend a proper international expedition.
                  1. But you see, this is the thing: Russians act like ***holes and get a BC-304. Brits act like good, trustworthy allies and get frak-all. Can you not see how stupid that is? But hey, I guess that's politics! The Stargate Program gained some of the most useful technology of recentyears on the show in the form of the phase cloak technology, but from what we have seen Brits haven't even been allowed near the technolgoy found in our own country. The Stargate currently in use somehow belonged to the Russians. They started moaning and got a BC-304 at the end of season 9, considering the SGC could just as easily have gotten another gate I don't see how the heck this works when we get nothing for allowing the SGC access to the cave.

2. No, I didn't think you said that, but if it is accurate then American viewers should have no problem with more international involvement, like there would be were it real.
                  Last edited by SGFerrit; 28 April 2008, 01:58 PM.

Comment

1. But you see, this is the thing: Russians act like ***holes and get a BC-304. Brits act like good, trustworthy allies and get frak-all. Can you not see how stupid that is? But hey, I guess that's politics! The Stargate Program gained some of the most useful technology of recentyears on the show in the form of the phase cloak technology, but from what we have seen Brits haven't even been allowed near the technolgoy found in our own country. The Stargate currently in use somehow belonged to the Russians. They started moaning and got a BC-304 at the end of season 9, considering the SGC could just as easily have gotten another gate I don't see how the heck this works when we get nothing for allowing the SGC access to the cave.

2. No, I didn't think you said that, but if it is accurate then American viewers should have no problem with more international involvement, like there would be were it real.
                    I understand your point. However, you're taking this personally, and it's not real. The Stargate program isn't real, and nobody really found cloaking technology in the country you live in. It's just a TV show, and that's my point. You're acting as if England really has somehow been shafted by the United States government, when in reality it's a handful of writers for a television program that have decided to write a story that doesn't involve the United Kingdom getting made up technology.

Do you see my point? Don't take it personally, because it's not real.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                      They havent built the X304 because the writers havent written it. Assuming for a minute that the Stargate Universe is real then in reality most of the countries which are aware of the programme would have the technology and access to the gate as the countries which are aware are some of the most powerful in the world. They may not beable to defeat America in a military engagment (due to Asgard tech) but they could certainly cripple the United States economy.

Clearly the Stargate Universe isnt real but its still important for the writers to make it seem as real as possible but i find other countries reactions to the Stargate programme in the Stargate Universe to be very odd and unrealistic.
                      What the hell are you talking about?

First off, there' NO X304. It's a BC-304 or a DSC-304.

Secondly, other countries can't build a 304 before they don't know how. Only the US have the schematics and facilities to build it. And your suggestion that other nations would attack and force economic sanctions on the US for the plans for the 304 is just plain stupid. Why would they? They realize by now that their whole idea of individual nationalities is essentially worthless, that they need to band as an entire global force in order to survive. Trying to bring down the biggest military arm of the world would NOT help them to survive.

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                      ^the cold war lasted from 1945 - 1991, not a decade.
                      Also most of the cast and crew are CANADIAN (you insist on putting the caps lock on for these things), but you're right in the fact it is made for AMERICA PRIMARILY. However, alot of SG-1 episodes have aired in th UK FIRST (basically the second half of every season from 2 onwards, excluding 9, have aired in the UK/Ireland first). And alot of Atlantis episodes have aired in Canada first.
                      Also the US has decsribed the UK as its closest ally, why wouldn't we be more involved? Not anything too much, just an English person with a believable english accent, and a ship that comes and goes from time to time.
                      Stargate is a SCI FI series. It gets syndicated to UK and Canadian networks. SCI FI doesn't give a crap about Canadian or UK or any other audience, they only care about their own audience, an American audience. So if Stargate Atlantis wants to survive longer, it needs to appeal to SCI FI's audience, not to Skyone or The Movie Channel's audiences. This reminds me a lot about an episode from Studio 60, where the network head wanted to grab a show about the UN, but the network chairman doesn't want it, because he says that the American public wouldn't be interested in a show about the UN.

The fact is, most American viewers don't care, or don't want to care about people from other countries when watching TV. Have anyone seen a show about Canada that's been popular in the US? A show about Britain? France? Why did you think FOX had to make an American version of Hell's Kitchen, or NBC had to make an American version of The Office and Top Gear?
                      Last edited by Detox; 28 April 2008, 05:28 PM.
                      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                        Secondly, other countries can't build a 304 before they don't know how. Only the US have the schematics and facilities to build it. And your suggestion that other nations would attack and force economic sanctions on the US for the plans for the 304 is just plain stupid. Why would they? They realize by now that their whole idea of individual nationalities is essentially worthless, that they need to band as an entire global force in order to survive. Trying to bring down the biggest military arm of the world would NOT help them to survive.
                        You could also use that quote to make a arguement for the USA giving the plans to the 304 to other countries.

Comment

Yeah, someone from a country other than America would have been good. And ,on Atlantis we had English Peter Grodin who sacrificed himself to destroy one of the Hive Ships coming for Atlantis, one of the most heroic things done on Stargate. Yet another thing we have done to help the program, but again I don't believe we have anything to show for it.

As I have said before, it's pretty stupid. The Russians have gotten more out of the program than any country bar America, and they got it by being malicous and blackmailing the SGC/US. We gave the US the stuff from the Ancient cave and Peter Grodin gave his life to protect the expedition and Earth, but because we haven't used underhanded tactics we are left with little to nothing to show for it.
                          It's not as though it's real. give the show credit for even showing the British flag. Besides, there's Beckett, Mckay, Zelenka. All from different nations. The Russians weren't malicious; they were smart, cunning, and somewhat deceitful at first. Also, think of this: the Russians had the stargate first, so they get some leverage. Also, backtrcking to the Cold war era. The US and the USSR were the first two nations that put someone in space. Now, when you look at that, you can see why Russia gets the most benefits aside from the US.

As well, don't try to use real-life examples of British support to the US to justify why Britain needs some pay back. When they get an SG team, then they'll have some say. But ultimately, it's a writing issue, so don't claim that the US is being an ***hole. When the writers decide to write in Britain as a stargate program ally as well, then maybe the British will be included. But don't expect to see the UK getting anything when they've only been seen through their IOA representative (who has made a sum total of three appearances- 2 in SG1, 1 in SGA)
                          Last edited by Ltcolshepjumper; 28 April 2008, 09:42 PM.
                          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

I understand your point. However, you're taking this personally, and it's not real. The Stargate program isn't real, and nobody really found cloaking technology in the country you live in. It's just a TV show, and that's my point. You're acting as if England really has somehow been shafted by the United States government, when in reality it's a handful of writers for a television program that have decided to write a story that doesn't involve the United Kingdom getting made up technology.

Do you see my point? Don't take it personally, because it's not real.
                            I know it isn't real. But there is no problem with it being realistic, with them following stuff like Avalon up and continue the way they were going around seasons 7 and 8 and focusing more on politics and the affect this is going to have on Earth.

I'm one of the biggest Stargate fans out there. But my main gripe is the way it is pretty much portrayed like no other nation exists. You'd just think it would be a bit more international, especially now that SG-1's survival is much less Dependant on US audiences. But I guess allot of SciFi shows are like this, it's the same with Star Trek.

Comment

I know it isn't real. But there is no problem with it being realistic, with them following stuff like Avalon up and continue the way they were going around seasons 7 and 8 and focusing more on politics and the affect this is going to have on Earth.

I'm one of the biggest Stargate fans out there. But my main gripe is the way it is pretty much portrayed like no other nation exists. You'd just think it would be a bit more international, especially now that SG-1's survival is much less Dependant on US audiences. But I guess allot of SciFi shows are like this, it's the same with Star Trek.
                              I don't know any other way to put this. STARGATE IS A SHOW THAT IS WRITTEN FOR THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!SHIFTONE. It's not about England. It's not about Canada. It's not about international this or international that. It's a show designed and written with the American audience in mind. SCI FI is an American television channel. Stop it, everybody. Stop complaining that your country isn't involved in the Stargate universe enough. It's not about YOUR country, it's about writing a show for American viewers. If American viewers stop watching the show, it gets canceled, not just in the United States, but everywhere. The reason the show is written like no other nations exist is because American viewers aren't interested in seeing your country prosper in a fake universe. We don't care about making the show "more realistic" so that your country can have a fake starship with your flag on it. I don't care whether or not England ever gets anything in Stargate. Stargate is entertainment. I like my entertainment to focus on MY interests, which is my own country. The same way that you want it to focus on YOUR interests. The only problem is that it isn't going to focus on your country.

SGFerret, you seem like a smart person. If you're interested in being realistic, then you have to realize that Stargate is never going to be about any country besides the U.S.

Comment

I don't know any other way to put this. STARGATE IS A SHOW THAT IS WRITTEN FOR THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!SHIFTONE. It's not about England. It's not about Canada. It's not about international this or international that. It's a show designed and written with the American audience in mind. SCI FI is an American television channel. Stop it, everybody. Stop complaining that your country isn't involved in the Stargate universe enough. It's not about YOUR country, it's about writing a show for American viewers. If American viewers stop watching the show, it gets canceled, not just in the United States, but everywhere. The reason the show is written like no other nations exist is because American viewers aren't interested in seeing your country prosper in a fake universe. We don't care about making the show "more realistic" so that your country can have a fake starship with your flag on it. I don't care whether or not England ever gets anything in Stargate. Stargate is entertainment. I like my entertainment to focus on MY interests, which is my own country. The same way that you want it to focus on YOUR interests. The only problem is that it isn't going to focus on your country.
                                So you dont see it as a problem that Americans care only about America and nothing else.

Also do Americans watch tv programmes from other countries? I ask because when a British show becomes successful in England instead of showing that show the Americans decide to make a "American Version". What is wrong with the original version?

Comment

Working...
                                X