This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    you mean it was her call. ok but this doesn't mean that TBTB didn't want to keep her. also could you provide a link to that interview please?
    Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
    It's not available online - it was in the #16th issue of Stargate Magazine.
    Thanks, KD. I think she also references it in the audio interview she gave at the Pegasus con in January.

Telling her she could walk isn't wanting to keep her or fighting to keep her. Taking her out of series regular status was dissolution of her contract. If she'd left, termination would have taken place at the end of Season 3 with no Weir anywhere in Season 4 and more than likely character death in "Adrift". That's not TPTB promising she might have something in the future.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole concept of reccuring is act or walk. I rememeber a interview with David Nykl saying that recurring actors are not bound like main characters. I believe he said that they can refuese to do an episode unlike a main character who is bound by a contract
      Sounds sensible. But your point is...?
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
        Thanks, KD. I think she also references it in the audio interview she gave at the Pegasus con in January.

Telling her she could walk isn't wanting to keep her or fighting to keep her. Taking her out of series regular status was dissolution of her contract. If she'd left, termination would have taken place at the end of Season 3 with no Weir anywhere in Season 4 and more than likely character death in "Adrift". That's not TPTB promising she might have something in the future.
        Exactly. That's pretty much "pick up your things and leave". There was also an interview where she did say she didn't like the way she was treated - before the filming of S3 ended she was told everything was fine, she has nothing to worry about etc, and after FS was filmed they told her you can do recurring or walk.

I do have the quote from that interview saved.

“Honestly? I found that quite ****ty, to be honest (laughs).Oops. But I found out, because I kept going to them, I kept going up to them saying ‘I have a feeling my character, you’re not doing anything with me, and you guys have me for six years and I don’t want to, you know, be here not doing anything. Let me know what’s going on.’ And they kept saying “no, no, no, it’s great. We love you. We love you. Things can be great.’ And I said ‘well, if that’s the case, can we do something with her’ and they kept reassuring me that nothing - and the very last day of filming season three, as I finished filming the last scene on the last day I was called up to the office and was told that my character was going to become recurring if I chose to be. So, I thought that was not very, um, dignified, way to deal with it, and I was a bit surprised. So I was—so my reaction was one of yeah, I was a little bit surprised. I was a little bit upset by how it was dealt with. But I wasn’t upset at the decision because I understood it. I kept going to them saying ‘I get, I get what’s going to happen, just give me some notice so I can pack my apartment and move back to L.A. Really. So I wasn’t upset with the decision. I was upset with how it was handled.
        Bottom line? She was treated unfairly. They were telling her every thing's peachy and then boom, you can do recurring or you can go. I don't really think this is a way one behaves if he/she wants to keep an employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
          The leader of Atlantis, the best one, and the only real one.
          err...what?

She shouldn't have been turned into security risk, convenient plot device and scape goat. It didn't do any good to the show overall.
          how so? are you talking about the ratings, viewers?

Sam failed to fill her shoes,
          sorry but I disagree

at least in the way she was written, and I won't even go and speculate about Wooley boy.
          I'll wait until s5 airs

And yes that's my opinion.
          I know

Yeah, her decision consisted out of giving Weir a chance. She wanted to play her, she wanted to stay. She definitely didn't ask for a recurring role, she did however ask to be given more to work with. She never said she wanted to leave for recurring status. Kicking her out of the main cast was TPTB's choice and decision and some of them were very proud of it as far as I recall.
          source?

Telling her she could walk isn't wanting to keep her or fighting to keep her.
          TBTB wanted to keep her as a recurring character

Taking her out of series regular status was dissolution of her contract. If she'd left, termination would have taken place at the end of Season 3 with no Weir anywhere in Season 4 and more than likely character death in "Adrift".
          so? that's no surprise imo

That's not TPTB promising she might have something in the future.
          maybe because those were different PTB? or are you referring to JM's statement regarding a possible arc in s6 if she would've been in s5?
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Yes, sam failed to serve her purpose. The ratings weren't all that high and the lines she delivered felt too much like Weir lines. My opinion of course.

Source of the article I quoted? I'll go and ask, I don't have the link at the moment but I can PM you tomorrow. It's quite late here.

As for different PTB... you might wanna check Malozzi's interviews. He said himself he was a part of decision of making Weir recurring.

Plus I won't wait until S5 airs. There's nothing for me to watch, so I won't bother.

Comment

Exactly. That's pretty much "pick up your things and leave". There was also an interview where she did say she didn't like the way she was treated - before the filming of S3 ended she was told everything was fine, she has nothing to worry about etc, and after FS was filmed they told her you can do recurring or walk.

Bottom line? She was treated unfairly. They were telling her every thing's peachy and then boom, you can do recurring or you can go. I don't really think this is a way one behaves if he/she wants to keep an employee.
              thanks for posting this. Joe said this
              Erika writes: “Did you listen to Torri’s interview? […] I am not sure if I want her back now considering how you and the rest of The Powers That Be treated her.“

Answer: Let me be clear. Weir’s role was originally envisioned as a parallel to the Hammond role on SG-1. And so, unlike the team, it wasn’t intended that she head off-world every episode. Like it or not, the character of Weir was intended to play a supporting role to that of the team. Still - while Brad was running Atlantis, he was very supportive and protective of the character, working hard to make sure she got her fair share of stories, and to suggest otherwise is not only disingenuous, but a slap in the face to a guy who was the driving force behind episodes like Before I Sleep, The Real World, and The Long Goodbye. The decision to make the change came at the end of season three simply because that’s when we started making plans for season four. No conspiracy. Just simple logic. Finally, as a point of interest, do you know how many actors find out their role on a show has been diminished or done away with? The season wraps, the actor leaves for hiatus, and then his or her contract isn’t picked up. Their agent does the math for them. To many producers, this a much easier and less confrontational way of handling the situation which, obviously, lacks the professional courtesy and respect of a face to face meeting.
              http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...on-chef-style/
              sigpic

Comment

Yes, sam failed to serve her purpose.
                Sam was supposed to be base commander and as such a supporting character. that's what we got

The ratings weren't all that high
                both s4.5 and s3.5 averaged a 1.24 for live +sd and. FS had 2.2 million viewers after live+7, TLM 2.1 million for live +sd!

and the lines she delivered felt too much like Weir lines. My opinion of course.

Source of the article I quoted? I'll go and ask, I don't have the link at the moment but I can PM you tomorrow. It's quite late here.
                thanks, that'd be great

As for different PTB... you might wanna check Malozzi's interviews. He said himself he was a part of decision of making Weir recurring.
                so? we were talking about some kind of promise. maybe this was made by BW and not JM and PM

Plus I won't wait until S5 airs. There's nothing for me to watch, so I won't bother.
                I'm sorry to hear that
                sigpic

Comment

Sadly I tend to trust Torri more than the man who decided to make her character recurring. I'm a human. I'm entitled to hold a grudge.

I don't respect him very much for saying Weir was a secondary character (nad many other things too). To me and lots of other people she was much more imortant. To me important enough to make me stop watching after I saw how she was treated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                    both s4.5 and s3.5 averaged a 1.24 for live +sd and. FS had 2.2 million viewers after live+7, TLM 2.1 million for live +sd!
                    Never trust statistics you haven't forged yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      Simply because they "ended" the storyline with a tease. To left it hanging in such a fashion is just wrong.

You can say they've done it before, but none have been this obvious a setup for things to come.
                      Well, snice I'm voicing my opinion, truth be told I'm one of the people who never had too much of a problem with open threads. I don't care about the Foothold aliens, I'm happy to go on with my life not knowing what the Aschen are up to these days, and TBH? I would have happily cut season 10 after Pegasus Project. Well, 200, jsut cos it's so damn funny

Point ni case - it's only an obvious set up for things to come cos they took it for granted TH woudl agree to continue working with them in season 5. Since this assumption turned out to be false, I don't see why they shouldn't turn this into the same kind of hanging thread that will never be solved.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

The leader of Atlantis, the best one, and the only real one. She shouldn't have been turned into security risk, convenient plot device and scape goat. It didn't do any good to the show overall.
                        I hate that as well - PTB using main characters, nonetheless fan favourites, to do their bidding as plot devices or as sacrifices to the ratings gods. It's disgusting that they show such little respect for the characters. They really need some writing/management lessons - such as changing the story instead of the character.

Yeah, her decision consisted out of giving Weir a chance. She wanted to play her, she wanted to stay. She definitely didn't ask for a recurring role, she did however ask to be given more to work with. She never said she wanted to leave for recurring status. Kicking her out of the main cast was TPTB's choice and decision and some of them were very proud of it as far as I recall.
                        I remember. One of the PTB (I dun't remember - Mallozzi?) kept saying "don't worry; you will be very happy with what we are going to". She didn't want a recurring role and she didn't deserve it. I would have no problem with her leaving the show at her own will. It's when sh*t like this goes around that I begin to get very, very cranky. As for her asking for more to work with, she totally deserved that as well. She's been there for three years and has proved to be an excellent actress. Come on.

Spoiler:
                        “Honestly? I found that quite ****ty, to be honest (laughs).Oops. But I found out, because I kept going to them, I kept going up to them saying ‘I have a feeling my character, you’re not doing anything with me, and you guys have me for six years and I don’t want to, you know, be here not doing anything. Let me know what’s going on.’ And they kept saying “no, no, no, it’s great. We love you. We love you. Things can be great.’ And I said ‘well, if that’s the case, can we do something with her’ and they kept reassuring me that nothing - and the very last day of filming season three, as I finished filming the last scene on the last day I was called up to the office and was told that my character was going to become recurring if I chose to be. So, I thought that was not very, um, dignified, way to deal with it, and I was a bit surprised. So I was—so my reaction was one of yeah, I was a little bit surprised. I was a little bit upset by how it was dealt with. But I wasn’t upset at the decision because I understood it. I kept going to them saying ‘I get, I get what’s going to happen, just give me some notice so I can pack my apartment and move back to L.A. Really. So I wasn’t upset with the decision. I was upset with how it was handled.”

Good God - primary source there. Thanks for the quote Anuna as well as Suzotchka's magazine article link. This just shows why some of us are as upset at PTB as we are. Don't call it "irrational"; calling it "irrational" would be equivalent to calling someone who's angry at the genocide in Africa "irrational".

This is not a good day for me. This makes it worse.

Comment

Never trust statistics you haven't forged yourself.
                          true but those numbers are accurate

Originally posted by alyssa
                          That would never happen. I get the impression that some people aren't used to having people say no to them. This is like revenge. Torri said no, let's destroy her character even further. Like they didn't already do that enough in season four.
                          I'm sorry but that's ridiculous

How they could do this to a character they created is beyond me. How much does a PTB have to hate a character/actress to kill the character several times over, and then have her just exist as a disembodied voice? A hell of a lot, IMO.
                          hold on, suddenly Weir's dead??? I remember you and others saying she's alive, especially after the last scene in BAMSR. also she wasn't killed several times

Originally posted by jenks
                          No, bottom line is she thinks they treated her unfairly, in fact all that interview does is highlight how unprofessional she's been about the whole thing.
                          IDK if that's true but she's definitely unhappy

I bet you didn't say that when Shanks was slagging off the show left right and centre, and got his job back. But then, there's a double standard when it comes to women.
                          what???

Originally posted by jenks
                          I wasn't around then, and to be honest I don't really know anything about that. But either way, what's that got to do with this? Another one of your conspiracy theories in the making perhaps?

The decision to make the change came at the end of season three simply because that’s when we started making plans for season four. No conspiracy. Just simple logic.
                          http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...on-chef-style/
                          sigpic

Comment

She's actually done the opposite to that. A friend of mine told her privately at a convention that she can't watch the show without her on it. Torri said "Please keep watching. The other actors deserve everyone's support, too." That wasn't up on a stage where she'd be obliged to say something like that. That was in a one-on-one conversation with someone she'd chatted to before.
                            She totally said something similar in the UFC, when someone in the audience said she wasn't going to watch anymore. Torri was all "keep watching the others love you" Awww, she is too nice.
                            sigpic
                            My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Right, as the thread has headed off topic again into an arena that deals with someone elses thought processes and emotions I'm going to close this thread. You were warned to keep on topic and haven't. If you must disagree take it to PM (politely! GW's respect rules apply to PM's as well).

Comment

Working...
                              X