X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA - The Hachiko: Review - 'Enemy at the Gate':

At The Hachiko:

(The review author rated this episode with a 4 out of 5. Please follow the link for a complete review.)

'Stargate Atlantis' (5.20) "Enemy at the Gate" - Review

Mon, 01/12/2009 - 10:45 — Vrej Hezaran

Here we are, the end of the line for Stargate's second series. While some might see the series as a whole as not a success because it only lasted half of SG-1's run, I would disagree. Stargate Atlantis may not have had as many appealing character as its predecessor, but in its own right, it told many fun and adventurous stories. I think the comparison of SG-1 to Star Trek: The Next Generation is somewhat apt if then Stargate Atlantis becomes this franchise's Deep Space Nine. Whereas one focused on exploring new places almost every week, the other was based on a station and wasn't as appreciated in its own time, but was still good for a solid adventure week to week.

... Besides that, there were some welcome moments, such as Beckett coming back to control Atlantis in the chair. He was the first person using it in the pilot episode and the last to use it in the finale. Kavanagh's reappearance was also welcome. I missed that miserable guy. And even though I'm not the hugest Ronon fan, I really was worried they'd killed him off. In fact, he did actually die, but then got revived. I think that the danger of the episode would have been much more palpable if the producers had the guts to actually kill the character for good.

Other quick points:

- Sam Carter's return was highly welcome and I hope we see more of her in the new Stargate series starting this summer...but I doubt it.

- Todd's fate is still left in the air. He keeps helping out the Atlantis team and they keep being wary of him. Maybe that's because he also turns on them just as often. Will they keep him in a cell? Let him go? We don't know and we'll have to wait for future Atlantis movies to explain. They must ask themselves whether keeping him is worth it.

... So the finale was an action packed and exciting episode with some flawed storytelling devices. It wasn't as epic as I had hoped it would be, but was entertaining nonetheless and leaves me wanting more. Thankfully, there's a movie on the way shortly.

Bye bye SGA. Let's hope Stargate Universe is as much fun.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

http://io9.com/5129825/the-stargate-...ould-have-been

excerpt:

If you're like me the final Stargate Atlantis episode left you pretty
      unsatisfied. SGA producers took to the internet to tell us what would have
      happened next season, if execs hadn't pulled the plug.

There was a lot of material left over for Stargate's season 6. We picked out
      the very best of the left-overs that may have helped explain why the
      directors, writers and producers did what they did in the finale

REST AT LINK ABOVE

+++++++++++++++++++++

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle5503399.ece

Stargate Atlantis

Sky1, 8pm

After five seasons, the sci-fi series about an interstellar mission to the
      lost city of Atlantis prepares to make its final puddle-jump. Plot details are
      swathed in secrecy but the series producer Joseph Mallozzi promises a
      conclusion that will hopefully leave fans satisfied, yet eager for more. Real addicts will be relieved to hear the news that a Stargate Atlantis movie is
      planned for next year.

++++++++++++++++++

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/sc...ewell-atlantis

EXCERPT:

The series finale featured cameos by a lot of the supporting characters from
      the Stargate franchise universe, but otherwise was almost a regular episode,
      without even the cliffhanger that usually accompanies a season finale - despite being cancelled from Sci Fi's regular line-up, the producers are clearly expecting a fairly seamless continuation of Atlantis's storylines in movie
      form, as happened with Stargate: SG-1 and the direct release Ark of Truth and Continuum movies.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

SG1/SGA - CBS Sportsline: 5 Underrated Sci-Fi Villains:

At CBS Sportsline:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

5 Underrated Sci-Fi Villains

by Mike Freeman

Posted on: January 9, 2009 6:05 pm

Special, silly blog diversion in honor of two Sci-Fi TV shows, "Stargate: Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica," soon leaving the air.

I know some of my readers are Sci-Fi geeks like me so you'll appreciate this. Then, we'll be back to the regular sports nonsense and you guys calling me a racist.

Introducing five underrated Sci-Fi villains. Remember: not the best villains but the most underrated:

... 2. The Goa'uld -- From original "Stargate." Snakes that controlled humans.

1. The Wraith -- Hard to kill, nasty space vampires.

Honorable mention: Cylons, Megatron, and Agent Smith from "The Matrix."

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Critical Myth: Review - 'Enemy at the Gate':

At Critical Myth:

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

Episode 5.20: “Enemy at the Gate”

Posted January - 13 - 2009

Written by Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie
          Directed by Andy Mikita

Writing: 2/2
          Acting: 2/2
          Direction: 2/2
          Style: 2/4

Final Rating: 8/10

It’s hard to tell how much of this series finale was conceived after the decision to cancel the series. Is that final scene on the balcony something that was always on the page, or was it a last-minute addition to give the fans a sense of closure? Was Atlantis always intended to crash back to Earth as a cliffhanger?

I personally believe that the return to Earth was always on the books, and that we should be pretty damn happy that it was. Normally the seasons end with a cliffhanger, and ending the series that way would have been a shame. This choice makes it seem like the series has come full circle (recalling that “The Rising” began with the Atlantis taking flight in the distant past).

**snippage**

Perhaps the best thing I can say about this series finale is that it was much better than the series finale for “Stargate SG-1?. That finale was simply frustrating; this episode did a nice job of bringing the series full circle while pointing to the future. Frankly, I feel there’s more potential in further Atlantis adventures, considering how the two “SG-1? DVDs have covered off most of the lingering plot threads of that series. Hopefully it won’t be a long wait before we discover what the future holds for Team Atlantis.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA/ Sanctuary - NBCUMV: Sanctuary Makes Sci Fi.com History:

At NBCUMV:

(Please follow the link for the complete press release.)

FRESHMAN SEASON OF 'SANCTUARY' MAKES SCI FI.COM HISTORY

Published: January 13, 2009

Stargate Atlantis Ends in Top 5 Site Rankings

... The fifth and final season of Stargate Atlantis on SCIFI.com delivered a strong 10.0MM page views, 1.5MM uniques, and 888,000 video streams since its return in July '08. Not only were uniques up +24% versus season 4, but Atlantis also ranked as the #3 most popular directory in page views and the # 7 most popular directory in video streams over the course of its season.

The series finale of Stargate Atlantis on Friday, January 9 entitled "Enemy at the Gate" (9 pm) delivered a 1.5 Household rating with 973,000 Adults 18-49, 1.15 MM Adults 25-54 and 2.02 MM total viewers (P2+) ...

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - USA Today: Nielsens:

At USA Today:

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

Nielsens: Gators win title, Fox wins week

By Gary Levin, USA TODAY

... Friday fortunes. The series finale of Sci Fi's Stargate: Atlantis hit a season-high 2 million Friday.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                It ticks me off with some of these reviews. It's the same old story. It was a good episode, had a lot of nice moments, BUT, should of been a 2 parter, it felt rushed. As the above article stated, the producers and writers had no time to add another ep or really change things around. They did what they could with what was given to them. I wish people could take the blame to MGM, they are the culprits. Maybe they could of worked with SCI FI to have a 2-parter. But then MGM would have 101 dalmations er um episodes.
                Wait a minute. The ep was written before they even knew it would be the final episode. It was too rushed of a story *period*, finale aside -- it would have been too rushed even if it were, say, episode 14. The fact that it was the finale, and therefore wishful thinking dictates that the end should have been given more time, actually has nothing to do with it's being too rushed, as far as I'm concerned. They tried to pack too much into the hour because it was the 100th ep as well as being the *season*-ender (which was all they knew when it was written), and threw common sense out the window to do it, IMNSHO. Even if we got another season, I would have said "That was too rushed."

So what's all this talk about them working with what they were given? It's not like they came up with the ep concept after the announcement, or had originally planned it to be a two-parter continuation into the next season but found they had to squash it all together after the announcement was made! It was always going to be how it ended up, canellation or no cancellation!

Well, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant?

My ships: + | + | +

Comment

Stargate Atlantis - CinemaSpy: Remote View: Requiem for 'Atlantis:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....32&postcount=1

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - DVD Drama (France): Eye of the Series:

At DVD Drama (Paris, France):

FRENCH

Translated version via Google:

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Eye of the Series

On Stargate Atlantis, it would be willing to bet that the show has a hole in its budget to give us a finale worthy of the name after five seasons and wonderfully entertaining television before future to keep the license alive. Taking the final return of Stargate SG-1 (which for the time we had offered a camera in an intimate parenthesis pleasant time, but did nothing to set), that of Atlantis seems to have been made for us offer a real festival of explosions, action and special effects ...

... We have same right to a small parenthesis between Flanigan and Tapping, evoking as it should be the death of actor Don S. Davis (interpreter chaleureux General Hammond), off last June at the age of 66 years and a pillar of Stargate SG-1 ten years. The all ending in an explosion has nothing to envy to that of a black star (sinister?) Memory. Directed by Andy Mikita (veteran who directed more than 80 episodes of the license) and written by Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie (two other equally deserving veterans), this is a final for the less impressive, and that will satisfy no doubt all fans of the door of stars. It remains to await the arrival of the latest, the Stargate Universe, which take off is expected this summer.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

The January 19th TV Guide had a fan remark regarding the SGA finale article

A Woman Scorned
                      A Wraith needs to suck that chauvanistic attitude right out of writer Ileane
                      Rudolph for describing STargate Atlantis as "the consummate boys' adventure
                      show." (Highlights, 1/5). On behalf of all its female fans, let me say that she
                      needs to dial herself onto another planet that believes less in equality than
                      this one - D. Wolf, Memphis

Comment

SGA - IGN: Season 5 Review:

At IGN:

(The review author rated SGA's season five with a 7.7 out of 10. Please follow the link for the complete review.)

Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 Review

It's the end of an era, but not the end of a franchise.

by Tory Ireland Mell

January 16, 2009 - After four pretty rock solid seasons, albeit with a few bumps in the road, Stargate Atlantis finally came to an end, and sadly, that ending couldn't come fast enough.

While many fans out there would demand and pray for a sixth season of SGA, I for one would have to say they are gravely mistaken. This whole season seemed completely phoned in. There was no help from its older brother SG-1 - the spinoff was completely on its own and it seemed lost. And that's incredibly hard to do, considering it was the same production team.

... In case you're wondering why this season is still getting a decent rating, it's because the good episodes outweighed the bad, and the reason it's not getting a better rating is because the series finale was just plain awful. It's the end of a show that ran for five years - pull out all the stops for crying out loud.

Thanks to all of you for reading my reviews, even when you ripped on my grammar, my points, and everything else you may have had a problem with. But with the bad came the good! So, thanks for the kind words, and thanks for watching the show! Stay tuned…

I'll be back with Stargate Universe… and remember Issac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." Grell the Robot - Stargate SG-1: "Wormhole X-Treme!"

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - San Francisco Examiner: TV On DVD: More thoughts on 'Atlantis' finale:

At the San Francisco Examiner's TV On DVD blog (San Francisco, CA):

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

More reasons to watch 'Jericho' and thoughts on 'Atlantis' finale

January 16 - by John Stahl, TV on DVD Examiner

... I share the pain of "Stargate: Atlantis" fans that there will not even be a rerun to watch tonight.

I agree with a reader's comments that the finale plot was very rushed but am glad for the the strong, although Star Trek: Voyager" inspired, entry. This is not surprising given that Robert Picardo is an Atlantis star and that the new series "Stargate: Universe" seems to have many Voyager-like elements. I truly hope that there is no equivalent of the painfully annoying Neelix.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Playboy Magazine Online: Robert Picardo Interview:

At http:// www . play boy . com /blog /2008 /09/raising-atlantis.html

<since this is an adults only magazine, if you wish to read it, c/p the link into your browser and remove the spaces>

Raising Atlantis

The Stargate franchise has become science fiction’s equivalent of Law & Order. Now, with Stargate: Atlantis currently airing it’s fifth and final season (before moving onto made for DVD movies), I spoke to veteran character actor Robert Picardo, who joined the cast as Commander Richard Woolsey, the main in charge of the Atlantis expedition. He talked about being the first actor to appear full-time on both Stargate and Star Trek, why the key to good sci-fi is fast talking and his goal of breaking a highly unusual barrier in Playboy.

A brief excerpt:

Q: Do you think there’s more of an opportunity with the DVD movies now that Atlantis is wrapping up its regular run?

A: Well, the Stargate straight-to-video movies have been a big success and I know they’ve surprised the studio with their performance. My understanding is that Atlantis is even more popular than the original, so if we can hit a home run with our first movie, that there could be a regular future for Atlantis. That to me is the best of all possible worlds as an actor, because that means you could do a play every year or appear on other television shows or even do another series and still keep this thing that alive you can do with people you love working with.
                            Last edited by Bagpuss; 21 January 2009, 04:16 AM. Reason: reposted Sky's message .

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA/Sanctuary - Multichannel News: Off to a Sluggish Start - Lukewarm Ratings for Returning Cable Shows in Early '09:

At Multichannel News:

Off to a Sluggish Start - Lukewarm Ratings for Returning Cable Shows in Early '09

by R. Thomas Umstead -- Multichannel News, January 18, 2009

The New Year has thus far returned lukewarm viewership results for several returning and new scripted cable shows.

USA Network's venerable dramedy series Monk continues to defy ratings logic as the series' Jan. 9 seventh and final season premiere drew 5.2 million viewers. Still, that was down slightly from the 5.6 million the show drew for its season six debut in January 2008.

Monk's return was the most-watched show on cable during the week of Jan. 5 through Jan. 11, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Following Monk, Psych drew 4.6 million in its third season debut, down from 4.1 million viewers who tuned in for its sophomore debut.

... As for curtain calls, two Sci Fi Channel series, Sanctuary and Stargate Atlantis, drew 2 million viewers in their respective Jan. 9 season finales. For Atlantis, the final episode also concluded the show's five-year run on Sci Fi ...

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - MGM Stargate: Tech Journal: Wraith Stunner Rifle:

At MGM Stargate:

(Please follow the link to view the photo in its original format.)

TECH JOURNAL - Wraith Stunner Rifle

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X