This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Konrad9 View Post
    And JDS, if the only thing she's good for is a sex symbol as you say she will be, why weren't her breasts falling out of her shirt the first time she showed up?
    When did I say that? I just said not to get your hopes up. She may very well not be a sex symbol. She may be like Carter where she's been shown sexy at times, but that hasn't been the main point of her character, but I wouldn't hold my breath (mostly cause season 5 is several months away). I imagine her breasts weren't falling out of her shirt because the script didn't call for it.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      let's not and say we did

I'd like to think i'm wrong and vega's gender won't be a plot point or focus of her character like they did with teyla. But after the past few years, these boys seem obsessed with featuring an actress' 'assets' more than her as a general character.

must cater to that young male demo after all
      Yup, the costumers tend to run out of material when it comes to covering women's chest. Just enough to make it legal, I swear. I mean, it's medieval squeeze-the-boobs up and out dresses on virtually every world. Even Larrin had a low cut outfit. Definitely done to appease the fanboys...

but back to Vega. Hopefully she'll be intelligent, not there just for her 'assets' and won't be some 'bad ass' type character as those are a dime a dozen nowadays.

Comment

That's the thing that has always bugged me. i watch the show for the story and characters not to see women dress half naked.
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

What if there's both?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Nah, tbh I think introducing "Alicia Vega" is a halfarsed attempt at having an "ethnic" character on the show.
            How can you possibly know if it will be half-arsed until we actually see her in action?

Comment

good point, we don't KNOW

but going by the track record of the past few years, i'll be surprised if she's not just a token
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I want to like this character so I hope TPTB follow the Zelenka/Lorne method of recurring character development (slowly concentrate on the character first) and not the Keller method (make her everyone's instant best friend and/or ship until they get it *right*).
                sigpic
                Sig by Luciana

Comment

it's not the showing of skin per se, as it is choice of costuming. in 11 years, 'sam' dressed pretty conservatively. In fact, most of what she wore for most of the time was to military regs on duty.

vala, on the other hand, had her bdu's custom tailored. She wears the pants as wide legged, almost hip huggers. Her jackets were noticibly short and tight, and her shirts were always low cut. claudia has a good body and vala dressed to make the most of it. the vast majority of her costumes were not what many people would consider appropriate for teh environment she was in (but she was an alien, so she could)
                  It's not just because she's an alien. She was a civilian and didn't have to adhere to the same regs that the military personnel did. I am a guy so obviously I like sexy clothing however I don't like it when it's over the top and it only has been a few times on both shows.

another contrast is weir vs teyla. Weir always dressed appropriately. sure, she occasionally had hte low cut t-shirt, but noting that you wouldn't see in an office. teyla, on the other hand, prior to her pregnancy wore low cut tank tops and high cut tops that bared a bit of skin. Her promo photos a couple of seasons ago, she was posed to accentuate her revealing top and slit skirt.
                  Same rules apply as with Vala she doesn't have to adhere to the same regs.

teyla is the sexy alien of the show. Just as vala was teh sexy alien of sg1. a role that only anise held before her.
                  Oh Anise and her skin tight grey top how I miss thee.

When vega's just hanging out in the city, will she dress liek Sam/weir? or will she dress like Teyla/vega?

Her off and on duty costuming can give clues as to how the writers see her. in addition to her behavior. will she be mostly business? or will she spend her time making double entendres like vala?
                  That's a good question.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by vjlax18 View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    IIRC it is said that she doesn't get a team at first and actually asks why she's there or something like that. She could very easily be a JQ, but then stay on as a regular after Teyla is found

I think that was from some article that was full of errors.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      Yeah I highly doubt any of that is accurate.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I thought Vegas was to come in and serve in a similar capacity as SG-3 did for SG-1. Joe made mention of her having an all female off world team, that includes Dr. Alison Porter. If that's the case, then I think it's great, because they never really explored other gate teams in Atlantis.
                        These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Yeah, so instead of, say, expanding on the characters we already know *cough*Lorne*cough* they choose instead to invent a whole new team.

Right, maybe Lorne should have had breasts, too.

Comment

(and how can joe toy with that ship that he likes to tease people with if he only has two females (keller and teyla) to six males (carson, rodney, shep, lorne, ronon, zelenka)?

gotta avoid that slash don't ya know
                            Mallozzi likes them ratings. We should tell him slash brings in ratings

I don't see whats wrong with more males. I would rather have one good female character than a bunch of crappy ones.

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                            Well it looks like she's pretty hot, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for her not being portrayed as a sex symbol. She's also been on Atlantis before.
                            I thought she was pretty cute as a scientist. But now she's cast as a badass rebellious twentysomething. Which is sexier, hm?

Should have kept her as Esposito. Would be liked better and easier to accept by the fans. Or, what, do they run out of actors up in Vancouver or something?

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                            Another article in which JM was misquoted, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                              Yeah, so instead of, say, expanding on the characters we already know *cough*Lorne*cough* they choose instead to invent a whole new team.

Right, maybe Lorne should have had breasts, too.
                              I hate it that they're "trying to expand the roster of familiar faces". I feel like poking them and saying they still have TEYLA to develop more. We like quality, they like quantity.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lorne began sprouting breasts in the near future Another run-in with a funky gender-converting Ancient Machine

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

Mallozzi likes them ratings. We should tell him slash brings in ratings
                                R ratings, perhaps.

Should have kept her as Esposito. Would be liked better and easier to accept by the fans. Or, what, do they run out of actors up in Vancouver or something?
                                Yeah, pretty much. Besides, Esposito was a scientist; Vega's a soldier.

Another article in which JM was misquoted, eh?
                                Worse! He wasn't quoted at all!

Comment

Working...
                                X