This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Weir View Post
    My comment is based on the observation, and I'm not the first to point out, that the vast majority of those disgruntled with what SGA has become are women, not really sure why, are most men really so much more easily pleased?
    I figured it was because Stargate's audience had more women than men so EVERYTHING in fandom is more likely to lean toward them. Other than possibly the thunk threads for the female characters, although there are a number of women in there, too.

It could also be that men are more inclined to accept what they're given or to recognize the futility of complaining, but I've seen scenarios in opposition to that, too. *shrug*

Does it really matter? Why does it have to be a guys vs. girls thing, anyway? So what if more women are complaining, what difference does it make? There are enough contrived division lines in fandom already. I really don't think we need another one.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      I figured it was because Stargate's audience had more women than men so EVERYTHING in fandom is more likely to lean toward them. Other than possibly the thunk threads for the female characters, although there are a number of women in there, too.

It could also be that men are more inclined to accept what they're given or to recognize the futility of complaining, but I've seen scenarios in opposition to that, too. *shrug*

Does it really matter? Why does it have to be a guys vs. girls thing, anyway? So what if more women are complaining, what difference does it make? There are enough contrived division lines in fandom already. I really don't think we need another one.
      This is exactly how my hubby sees it. Yeah he'd like Weir & Carson back full time, all that jazz - but to him it's entertainment and not life altering. Not that it was to me either, but I had a little bit more invested in this than him.
      sig made by me

Comment

They need women on the TPTB team!!!

*Hides.*
        Amen

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
          Solutions will be drafted when ratings decrease dramatically.
          I'm sure that if ratings drop drastically it will be too late to do anything. SGA has a tenuous hold with its current ratings - if it gets worse then I doubt skiffy is going to waste their time. Then cue a frantic SGA series finale and at least one ep with a not so subtle insult at skiffy (because you know, it's ALL SKIFFY'S FAULT!!!).

My comment is based on the observation, and I'm not the first to point out, that the vast majority of those disgruntled with what SGA has become are women, not really sure why, are most men really so much more easily pleased?
          TPTB is obviously catering to the male demographic, so there's generally less for men to be unhappy about. Men tend to relate to male characters, and TPTB have spent plenty of time and focus on McKay and Shep. In contrast, women tend to gravitate toward female characters and look at how Weir, Teyla, and Carter have been treated on SGA. Also, the show blatantly appeals to men by constantly having female characters in low cut and/or suggestive outfits that fawn over the male characters, while there's nothing of the sort for women fans.

Comment

honestly, i don't care what the gender is of any new writer (not that it would ever happen)

i don't care the gender, i just want someone good
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Not necessarily. My husband hasn't watched any of season 4 and can't figure why I'm still hanging on. My 15 year old son watches now and then, but he's probably only seen 3 or 4 episodes.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                honestly, i don't care what the gender is of any new writer (not that it would ever happen)

i don't care the gender, i just want someone good
                Your ideal SGA S5?

Actually....that question is for all of you . Make papa Inte happy and answer

Comment

I just want good stories, where ALL characters are treated with respect. Ocassional poking fun is OK, as long as it doesn't demeane anyone. Don't write hokey stories where the same villans are reinvented over and over again depending on which galaxy they're in.

I don't care about the gender, he/she/it... whatever. Just gimme the good stuff.
                  sig made by me

Comment

They frelled up things badly with this Hotel approach. Fire Torri, bring Amanda. Fire Amanda, try to bring Torri back. Torri said no, now they chose someone else. Like a frelling hotel...people come and go
                    You can check in but you can't check out...no, that's backwards. Anyway, roach motel or Hotel California works for me.

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
                    This is exactly how my hubby sees it. Yeah he'd like Weir & Carson back full time, all that jazz - but to him it's entertainment and not life altering. Not that it was to me either, but I had a little bit more invested in this than him.
                    Mine too. He listens to me rant and then repeats that he just wants action and humor. He loves the McShep show, as do I. But it's getting old without much behind it. If one of them thinks the other is dead and gets all woobie faced one more time, I will strike something.

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                    Not necessarily. My husband hasn't watched any of season 4 and can't figure why I'm still hanging on. My 15 year old son watches now and then, but he's probably only seen 3 or 4 episodes.
                    And I agree with that too. My son sometimes forgets to watch and has much more of a whatever attitude than he used to. And he's...ahem...30. But a SciFi geek from way back. He did say he liked Larrin though. Sigh. So there you go with the typical male reaction. I'm one of the few women on here who finds her character amusing, but I think I'm pretty close to a sure why not attitude at the moment. How much worse can it get? Don't answer that.

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
                    I just want good stories, where ALL characters are treated with respect. Ocassional poking fun is OK, as long as it doesn't demeane anyone. Don't write hokey stories where the same villans are reinvented over and over again depending on which galaxy they're in.

I don't care about the gender, he/she/it... whatever. Just gimme the good stuff.
                    You see the situation is that some of us have a completely different definition of good. Just look at the typical reaction on JM's blog. Why should he listen to us? And the latest thing on there appears to be the ultimate discrediting of GW. Scary. Reminds me of the election we're in the middle of. *runs screaming*
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Your ideal SGA S5?

interesting story-arc, no plot-holes, character developement, no Teyla and so called story-arc about her and her people/child. And intelligent writing

+ no idiotic filer episodes.

They won't use reset button for anything
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Your ideal SGA S5?

I don't have an ideal S5. It's too late.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't have an ideal S5. It's too late.
                          Ideal s5 = no s5?

Comment

ideal season five

losing the frat house humor. breaking up the easy pairings....lessen the shep/mckay pairing, and pair them with others. ptu characters out of thier comfort zone.

how about an episode where the A team is off world and something happens and chuck and lorne and zelenka have to fix it...with no A team coming in to save the day?

how about shep playing the hewo about something, and he gets called on it for being wrong

teyla's baby stays part of the city, not a focus, but a part that shows up every 5-6 episodes or so.

ronon gets put in a situation that he needs to think his way out of, not fight his way.

if you must have the sexy alien chicks, have shep liking her and, well, she dont' like guys, she bats for the other team or she falls for ronon

if you're writing a script and 'it's obvious that so and so will happen'...don't do the obvious and predicitble. do what we'd think you'd never do
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              *snip*
                              if you're writing a script and 'it's obvious that so and so will happen'...don't do the obvious and predicitble. do what we'd think you'd never do
                              Be careful with that statement. Or they might kill off McKay or Sheppard.

Comment

Originally posted by dana View Post
                                Be careful with that statement. Or they might kill off McKay or Sheppard.
                                Well then I think that might just be the end of it all -- I could be wrong of course.

Oh & Sky, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a Zelenka, Lorne & Chuck centric episode.
                                sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X