This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
    B5 was a rare gem - a show that had a set beginning, middle, and end before the first ep even aired. SGA could learn a lot from that show, most notably a sense of purpose and direction. I often get the feeling that this PTB are paddling aimlessly in a canoe. Worse, sometimes it seems like the show is stuck in place because the writers are furiously paddling in opposite directions...
    Babylon 5 is a unique show, a different league. Current shows (especially tragic and pathetic SGA) can't never reach that level. Firefly was close enough, but that stupi FOX cancelled it. I'm currently rewatching shadow/vorlon war and "War without end pt. 2" is absolutely amazing with shocking ending
    Stolen Kosovo
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
      B5 was very creative with makeup and costumes and you know they didn't have much of a budget at all. OMG, those Shadow ships were just creepy! Don't know how they worked those effects in with that dinky budget. Heck, just look at Torchwood or Doctor Who and they really nickle and dime it.

Now look at SGA, which has a pretty good budget, and you get the same sets over and over, the same costumes over and over, no alien makeup whatsoever, and so-so special effects. Where does the money go to? Hmmm, salaries? I know Flanigan gets "approx" 100K per episode (was mentioned in a recent interview) and I doubt Bruce Boxleitner or Mira Furlan got anything close to that on B5.
      B5 started in what, 1994. That would account for some of the difference in $$$. I would bet salaries, not just for actors but the whole shebang takes the majority. Plus the American dollar has suffered against the Canadian. Add in rising fuel costs, union wages going up and you got a big increase. However, it doesn't cost anything to be creative.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        One word of advice... Don't watch "Blink" and then an episode of SGA. It'll make SGA a gazillion times worse. I made that mistake. Will never do that again.
        You know what's really sad... I watched Adrift and Lifeline and then the first ever Jon Pertwee DW episode from... 1969, I believe.
        Needless to say, Atlantis came off the worse.

And hel, you can see that as well between seasons 3 and 4 of SGA, you don't have to go as far as the completely brilliant, and well, vastly superior DW franchise. Just compare character pieces such as The Real World, Tao of Rodney, or Sunday to, erm, the so-called character pieces such as Outcast or Missing or Midway, the difference on emphasis adn themes - as much as the weight given to CGI over character development - is obvious.
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

guys, let's stop with the 'what actors get paid' talk

I think it veers too closely to being too personal

Let's keep your complaints more about the show and less about what peopel may/may not be worth
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            guys, let's stop with the 'what actors get paid' talk

I think it veers too closely to being too personal

Let's keep your complaints more about the show and less about what peopel may/may not be worth
            Flanigan gets $992,250 per season. That isn't personal. Its public knowledge, and has been listed in several publications and has been mentioned in his interviews. I just plucked this from a 10 second peek at Hollywood Reporter.

It isn't a complaint, just a fact. . .er. . .trivia.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              However, it doesn't cost anything to be creative.
              .: And if it does, I should be getting that money

Comment

we still have a 'respect the cast and crew' rule....and alledging that one actor is paid too much or paid too little dances that line.

Let's drop this aspect please, if not out of respect for joe, out of respect for those that work with him
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Flanigan gets $992,250 per season.
                  Is that with or without the hair gel?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    LOL!! Must be without - surely "teh hair" has it's own budget?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                      LOL!! Must be without - surely "teh hair" has it's own budget?
                      lol maybe the Hair gel is $7,750 for a season, then we get a nice round number as the total lol.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                        Lol!

I've been sayign it for ages - the hair should get its own place in the credits.
                        *imagines season 5 credits: Joe Flanighan, Robert Picardo, Rachel Luttrel, Jason Momoa, Jewel Staite, with David hewlett as Dr. Rodney McKay and The Hair as Itself.
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Started the day feeling ill when I saw this comment on JM's blog this morning:

In Jewel’s case, for instance, we envisioned more screen time for Keller and, after her first season on the show, promoted her to regular.

*runs screaming*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

In Jewel’s case, for instance, we envisioned more screen time for Keller and, after her first season on the show, promoted her to regular.

*runs screaming*
                            I would have to reply... And what about Teyla? Not interesting enough for you? Not blond enough?
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

*runs screaming*
                              Seriously. What exactly did she display to warrant more screen time? Confidence? No. Great bed side manner (as a doctor)? No.

Like FH said, what about Teyla? Let's give the single female that's left from the "original" casting more development & screen time.
                              sig made by me

Comment

For a second I thought about posting news that the current showrunners had "stepped down" and that all the original cast were coming back in s5.

And then I realized that it would have been a depressing April Fool's joke, since so many here (including myself) would really REALLY like it to be true.

Oh well, at least I can cling tightly to BSG...

Comment

Working...
                                X