• Show
Clear All

*facepalm* & *headdesk*

&
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Here's something you'll no doubt find as annoying as I did. In the latest issue (May/June 2009) of the official Stargate magazine, they did their list of the top ten SGA episodes:

10 - Duet
      9 - Trio
      8 - Be All My Sins Remember'd
      7 - The Eye
      6 - Midway
      5 - Enemy at the Gate
      4 - The Return, Part 2
      3 - The Siege, Part 2
      2 - The Shrine
      1 - First Contact/The Lost Tribe
      I really wonder what the person who came up with that list was smoking?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        *facepalm* & *headdesk*

&
        Seriously! I read the article and the first thought that went through my head was, 'they did NOT just do that!' Ugh.

Oh, and I looked at the table of contents for the issue... in the little teaser for the article, they actually admitted that they cheated in adding an eleventh episode. Still doesn't make it any less wrong.

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
        Pure, unadulterated insanity. What a farce.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
          I would like some of it... maybe I'll like the new seasons better.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

They list First Contact/The Lost Tribe as #1...why? Was it just a list, or did they justify their reasoning in their choices?

I would've loved The Shrine, if it wasn't for the McKeller fest it became.

It's not the list I would make of best ever episodes. Maybe we should make a top ten list that reflects the sensibility that season 5 was a disappointment.

Comment

Trio?? Seriously? What the heck was so special about Trio?

And how did Rising not make it on this list? Or...several others I could name.

Looking at the list, I have a suspicion that whoever made it was an SG-1 fan.

Trio - Sam heavy
              Return 2 - Jack heavy
              Midway - Teal'c heavy
              First Contact/The Lost Tribe - Daniel heavy.

Coincidence? Maybe.
              - Life after Stargate -
              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                They list First Contact/The Lost Tribe as #1...why? Was it just a list, or did they justify their reasoning in their choices?

I would've loved The Shrine, if it wasn't for the McKeller fest it became.

It's not the list I would make of best ever episodes. Maybe we should make a top ten list that reflects the sensibility that season 5 was a disappointment.
                They attempted to justify their reasoning. Here's what they said about First Contact/The Lost Tribe:

Spoiler:
                It's the One With...
                Daniel Jackson coming to Atlantis in search of a secret room used by long-dead Ancient scientist Janus. Teaming up with McKay, the pair inadvertently activate a device that brings a contingent of mysterious armored creatures to Atlantis, who abduct the scientists and the device, which, now activated, causes all stargates in the Pegasus galaxy to explode on use...

Who's Responsible?
                In surely the most brilliant surprise twist in the entire run of Atlantis, the people in the suits turn out to be old friends the Asgard. Except now, with the remnants of their race in the Pegasus galaxy dying out, they're willing to do whatever it takes to stay alive.

Quotable Dialogue
                Daniel: "You want to clear the device control room of bad guys, right?"
                Rodney: "Yes."

Daniel: "So why would you assume if there's a massive explosion people would go running towards it?"
                Rodney: "I would."
                Daniel: "I rest my case."

Saving the Day
                A combined effort from Daniel Jackson and McKay, with a bit of help from the Daedalus and the Travelers. Pretty much everything explodes in this story.

Why it's a Standout
                Bigger, bolder, and more impressive than any previous episodes, First Contact introduces what at first appears to be a brand new enemy, tougher than anyone who's come before. With the Wraith capturing the Daedalus and the entire universe imperiled, the cliffhanger conclusion throws in the destruction of the Atlantis stargate for good measure. Also vital to the story's success is Michael Shanks as Daniel. We're not going to claim that any old visit from an SG-1 cast member makes an episode better, it's the way he's used. Teaming Daniel with McKay lifts what could otherwise be some quite dull scenes, with the b*tchy banter between the pair providing many of the story's high points.

Each episode got a similar breakdown of why it got on the list.

And as I mentioned earlier, they are soliciting comments on the article, so by all means, send 'em your top ten!

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                Trio?? Seriously? What the heck was so special about Trio?

And how did Rising not make it on this list? Or...several others I could name.

Looking at the list, I have a suspicion that whoever made it was an SG-1 fan.

Trio - Sam heavy
                Return 2 - Jack heavy
                Midway - Teal'c heavy
                First Contact/The Lost Tribe - Daniel heavy.

Coincidence? Maybe.
                It sure doesn't look like a coincidence to me; the commentary on each of those episodes seemed to make a particular point of lavishing praise on the featured SG-1 character. (Except for Carter, maybe because she was an SGA regular at the time?)

And since you were wondering, here's what they said about Trio:

Spoiler:
                It's the One With...
                Carter, Keller, and McKay end up trapped when the ground gives way beneath them on a planet that's prone to seismic shifts. A route is found to escape, but the frequent earthquakes make it a dangerous prospect...

Quotable Dialogue
                McKay: "The crates didn't work because Sam was too heavy. Ah, oh... we, we all would have been. I mean, our weight in general. Nothing to do with you. Uh, just, I mean... you're in very good shape. Seriously, you have, like, the perfect body. (notices Keller) Oh, not that you don't. Oh, no, no. I realize that your bodies are different and, and, and, ah, ah, maybe, that, that would mean that I think that your body is imperfect. But that is not the case. No, no, no, far, far, far from it."

Who's Responsible?
                A hole. And earthquakes.

Saving the Day
                It's the impressive combined brain power of the three team members that gets them to safety, with a succession of clever ideas eventually leading to a successful resolution.

Why it's a Standout
                Throwing members of the team into a dangerous environment where they're trapped but not rushing to escape aliens enables the opportunity to get our heroes talking to each other, and brings welcome insight into their personal lives.

I have to say, I am not impressed. The more I reread it, the more it looks like a snow job.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I wonder which episodes would be on a FAN list, not a list by the people who OWN or are in cahoots/work with with TPTB

*eyeroll*
                  Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
                    I wonder which episodes would be on a FAN list, not a list by the people who OWN or are in cahoots/work with with TPTB

*eyeroll*
                    Indeed. So much for fair and balanced reporting. *joins in eyerolling*

Comment

OMG!!! I don't know whether to laugh or cry! That list is just... *shakes head in disbelief*
                      sigpic

Comment

What?

Sad? Pathetic? Irritating? Grasping at straws that are melting right out of their hands?

Comment

Yep, any of those would do it!
                          sigpic

Comment

After allowing time to go by and after much discussion, it has been determined by the moderating team that this thread is not salvageable. It will therefore be closed and a new thread, with strict guidelines in place, will be opened entitled

S5: Critique and Contemplations

Please follow the link to read the new guidelines and begin posting in the new thread.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=67149
                            Last edited by KatG; 18 June 2009, 10:05 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X