This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
    Yes but did you also notice in that episode that Weir breifly spoke to him and he replied with a American accent. It was a big mistake by the director as traditionally German soldiers do not speak with American accents.
    I can't remember that (just another reason why I just have to find my season 2 DVDs...), but you may be right. On the other hand, it doesn't have to be such a mistake... my sister went to an US-American highschool for a year and when I visited her there, her English was heavily American accented. Two years later I was an intern at the British Embassy in Berlin, and about every second one of my colleagues (the Britons as well) asked me if I ever passed some time in the US because my English sounded very much like it (the reason for that was simple: my sister's English still sounded like it and I pick up accents very easily). Picking up English accents is not as hard as you might think, especially if you're surrounded by them 24/7.

On a side note: Funny enough, though, there was a German scientist in "Duet" which spoke flawless German...
    I'm a 60%er.

I will always place the mission first.
    I will never accept defeat.
    I will never quit.
    I will never leave a fallen comrade.
    ------
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Tobias View Post
      It'd be sweet to see a large scale raid on somewhere like a wraith compound with all these special forces working together.
      And then only the American ones come home??

The reason why they aren't seen going through the gate is because, EVEN THOUGH, the SGC and the U.S. Government lets the IOA think they are in charge... THEY AREN'T, the writers are haha.

serious though. Who cares, extras always die. And you know if they did send in a multinational team, they'd have to make sure certain countries weren't wiped out, one didn;t die more than the other, ect. Because people throw fits over this sort of thing. "Oh so the polish team all died and the Germans didn't die at all!" or "Oh so the French came in behind the Japanese and were the first to RETREAT? WHATS UP WITH THAT!" "Oh so the Jamaican troops were sent in first and all died?" It just keeps most people quiet, because everyone is the same, so they can't say the killed him for being this or she died cause her country sucks. blah blah blah.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic View Post

The reason why they aren't seen going through the gate is because, EVEN THOUGH, the SGC and the U.S. Government lets the IOA think they are in charge... THEY AREN'T, the writers are haha.

serious though. Who cares, extras always die. And you know if they did send in a multinational team, they'd have to make sure certain countries weren't wiped out, one didn;t die more than the other, ect. Because people throw fits over this sort of thing. "Oh so the polish team all died and the Germans didn't die at all!" or "Oh so the French came in behind the Japanese and were the first to RETREAT? WHATS UP WITH THAT!" "Oh so the Jamaican troops were sent in first and all died?" It just keeps most people quiet, because everyone is the same, so they can't say the killed him for being this or she died cause her country sucks. blah blah blah.
        I might be wrong but I believe Atlantis personnel take off their flag patches when they go off world, in which case this wouldn't be a problem because it would be impossible for the audience to know how many casualties were suffered by each respective country.

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic View Post

Send in the Australian and New Zealand troops first as they are used too it. The British liked using us as cannon fodder

Comment

If you pay attention to Australian nationalist propaganda films they did, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              If you pay attention to Australian nationalist propaganda films they did, yes.
              If you research the Africa Campaign you will see that the Australian and New Zealand troops were given the toughest assignments in the most important battles.

Comment

Also, in the WW1, Australian & New Zealand troops were volunteers, and had little to no military training. They were sent in first simply to reserve the experienced troops- the British, since we are still in the Commonwealth, even though we'd become a nation in our own right by that stage. That's how we ended up going into ANZAC Cove at Gallipoli.
                sigpic
                My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

If you research the Africa Campaign you will see that the Australian and New Zealand troops were given the toughest assignments in the most important battles.
                  Yes, and in every case they were fighting alongside British troops. Commonwealth troops made up the majority of the men in the Africa campaign, the Aussies making up a large part in that, so it makes sense they'd be fighting in every major battle, especially given the fact that their homeland wasn't under constant attack and threat of invasion like the UK was. Unfortunately some poeple watch films like Gallipoli and think they're historically accurate...

Originally posted by Lauriel View Post
                  Also, in the WW1, Australian & New Zealand troops were volunteers, and had little to no military training. They were sent in first simply to reserve the experienced troops- the British, since we are still in the Commonwealth, even though we'd become a nation in our own right by that stage. That's how we ended up going into ANZAC Cove at Gallipoli.
                  The Australian attack was a diversion for a Newzealander attack, not a British one. Gallipoli is a blatant propaganda film, in reality British forces sustained heavy losses trying to support the Aussie troops.
                  Last edited by jenks; 26 May 2008, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Yes, and in every case they were fighting alongside British troops. Commonwealth troops made up the majority of the men in the Africa campaign, the Aussies making up a large part in that, so it makes sense they'd be fighting in every major battle
                    Not just every battle but for the first major battle under Bernard Montgomery the Australian and New Zealand troops were the ones who were chosen to take the brunt of the German attack. Also the "Siege of Tubruk" is very a very well known battle in Australia.

especially given the fact that their homeland wasn't under constant attack and threat of invasion like the UK was
                    No that came later against the Japanese where they got very close to Australia. It is now known that the japanese couldnt invade Australia but back in WW2 it was a real concern. It is also a little known fact that Australian troops were the first to actually stop a Japanese advance on the Kokoda track which was a very nasty place to wage war.

Comment

Not just every battle but for the first major battle under Bernard Montgomery the Australian and New Zealand troops were the ones who were chosen to take the brunt of the German attack. Also the "Siege of Tubruk" is very a very well known battle in Australia.

No that came later against the Japanese where they got very close to Australia. It is now known that the japanese couldnt invade Australia but back in WW2 it was a real concern. It is also a little known fact that Australian troops were the first to actually stop a Japanese advance on the Kokoda track which was a very nasty place to wage war.
                      Hey, I'm not trying to downplay the Australian or Kiwi contribution, but the idea that they were just used as fodder just isn't true.

Comment

Yes, and in every case they were fighting alongside British troops. Commonwealth troops made up the majority of the men in the Africa campaign, the Aussies making up a large part in that, so it makes sense they'd be fighting in every major battle, especially given the fact that their homeland wasn't under constant attack and threat of invasion like the UK was. Unfortunately some poeple watch films like Gallipoli and think they're historically accurate...

The Australian attack was a diversion for a Newzealander attack, not a British one. Gallipoli is a blatant propaganda film, in reality British forces sustained heavy losses trying to support the Aussie troops.
                        A couple of points there:

1- No one is denying that the British troops fought and sacrificed. They certainly did.

2- Regardless of any other concern, it was a valid military tactic. We were untrained troops, essentially extra numbers. I doubt very much that many decisions made in war are palatable, but they are necessary in most cases. In this case, it made tactical sense to send those troops in first. I would suspect that nationality was a minor consideration.

3- Yes, Gallipoli the film was idealised in some regard. The battles at Gallipoli and the Dardenelles were instrumental in shaping Australia's national identity. It is inevitably tied to British nationalism, because it was the first sense Australia has, as a nation, of independent accomplishment and pride in Australia and its people in our own right, not as a colony. You have to realise that this was only 14 years after Federation. Unlike any other country, Australia didn't attain nationalism in its own right through war of seperation from its mother country. Quite the opposite, the Prime Minister at the time, Joseph Cook, was quoted as saying to "remember that we are Britons" and that "if the old country is at war, so are we." So regardless of idealised accounts, the historical fact is that at the time, we were a forming nation, and this was our first sense of Australian national pride. That doesn't diminish the British involvement, it simply means that we attach more meaning to those battles than others did.
                        sigpic
                        My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Can this topic be moved more into the relms of stargate, lets think of ways to bring in more visible multi-national personell

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                            Can this topic be moved more into the relms of stargate, lets think of ways to bring in more visible multi-national personell
                            It wouldnt be hard for the writers to write in multi-national special forces as it has already been establised that Atlantis is suppose to be a international exhibition.

Comment

It wouldnt be hard for the writers to write in multi-national special forces as it has already been establised that Atlantis is suppose to be a international exhibition.
                              they already have problems with writing the main characters. You can't expect they will begin to write international SOF units.
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                                they already have problems with writing the main characters. You can't expect they will begin to write international SOF units.
                                Why? It shouldnt be that hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X