X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kefke20 View Post
    i like to see:
    the dutch korps commandotroepen and the Air Assault Garderegiment Grenadiers en Jagers

thay also belong whit the best of the world
    Ow ja I forgot the much fared Dutch korps mariners (see wiki) they can be deployed every ware in the world they don’t care of it is in het artic, jungle, desert or wood lands.
    sorry cant spell

Comment

While most of the soldiers are American, there's a few German and Russian guys wandering around.

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
      I really hope that in season 5 we get to see special forces of countries other than America. Atlantis is supposed to consist of a international contingent but only American special forces seem to go through the gate which seems really odd as some of the countries which are represented on Atlantis have got some of the best Special Forces units in the world.
      Despite being American I get annoyed by this too; it seems as if throughout the seasons the American military has gotten a stronger hold over Atlantis, especially with putting Carter in charge. (But I won't go there.) I would really like to see some more internationality over in Atlantis, whether scientists or soldiers. But preferably soldiers, as they all seem American now

Originally posted by SP90 View Post
      Atlantis offworld teams should be like RAINBOW. It would be cool to see a mix team made up of individuals drawn from the militaries of the various countries represented on Atlantis. In a sense they already do with Col. Sheppard's team. He has himself (USAF), McKay (Canadian), Telya (Ethosian) and Ronan (Satedan). Just imagine the team dynamic and character interactions on a team made up of US, German, Russian and Chinese.
      I was considering the same thing, comparing to the multinational RAINBOW team. I wish they had done it that way; it was the impression I got when they were all in the gate room in 'Rising'. While it wouldn't be the focus, snippets of interactions like in the first episode would be lovely.

but the dutch armd forcee in general are considerd one of the world best armys. its small so we got extra funding for alot more training (than the rest including the US) and stat of the art equipment
      I would like to see Dutch forces/scientists in Atlantis. I'm only a first gen American; my mum was born in the Nederlands and I have family there.

Comment

Yes, would be nice to see some other forces. Preferably Kommando Spezialkräfte - a German Special Unit. But there are so many others out there...

Maybe for Atlantis internal operations we could see some police-based forces like SWAT or GSG9, meaning CT-Units in general.

Maybe they give it one episode but I don't think they'll turn this show into a military show like "The Unit".
        Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen...

...very often

Comment

As far as we know Delta Force and SEAL doesn't even have a presence in SG World.

Comment

Another example (not exaterated ) in the US if you finish boot camp you can be sende out to Iraq of Afghanistan but with us you needed a 2 year training before you can go to Afghanistan.
            Depends on the service you go into.

Most jobs in the Army, you can get sent out quick after boot camp, because there is a big enough need (significant numbers overseas) and the US is trying to rotate it's troops.

Any specialized jobs takes significant training.

You won't see any Air Force overseas without any training beyond boot camp. And you won't see any technical jobs sending people overseas without a lot of training.

p.i.c., my friend joined the Navy after graduation (almost 3 years now), and he doesn't ship out for another 4 months -- he had boot camp, then two different schools to get properly trained and certified. And now he's going to be getting on-site training in a couple weeks for his ship appointment.

It all depends on what you sign up for, and the direct need they have. With the US sending so many soldiers overseas right now, of course new "grunts" are going to be shipped over pretty quick. That's a huge downside to the current situation we're in.

As for questioning of the US Military breakdown...

Army:

Top 3 units are Green Berets, Delta Force and Rangers.

Rangers are simply the elite of the "normal" Army.
            Delta Force is mainly counter-terrorism and is modeled after the British SAS.
            Green Berets are the best of the best, the top of the SF in America and do pretty much everything.

Navy:

SEALs, probably the best-known by the common American, is pretty much the Navy version of the Delta Force.

Air Force:

Doesn't really have anything on the same level, as close as they get is the STG (Special Tactics Group), but it's really nothing worth writing home about.

Marines:

They are under re-organization right now after some things that happened lately... but Marine Force Recon is pretty much the common SEALs unit, and I think they have one similar to the Army's Rangers as well. No SF exactly. But it is considered essentially the most "elite" (as in best trained and toughest soldiers) branch.

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
            As far as we know Delta Force and SEAL doesn't even have a presence in SG World.
            And they shouldn't, or at least very little if they ever were to pop up, because it is considered Air Force territory.
            "The true nature of a man is decided in the battle between his conscious mind and the desires of his subconscious." - Stargate

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers." - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
              That would confuse people who think there's only one british accent
              Glad you mention that. They need to ensure that the Aussie flag on the Australian is in CLEAR view on screen. Some very strange people keep thinking that the Australian accent is a British one. (Probably the same people who think AC/DC is an American band, LOL)
              : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
              : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
                Glad you mention that. They need to ensure that the Aussie flag on the Australian is in CLEAR view on screen. Some very strange people keep thinking that the Australian accent is a British one. (Probably the same people who think AC/DC is an American band, LOL)
                I hate that. Though it did noticed it only seems to be either Americans or Canadians who make the mistake.

Comment

Knowing our luck, the scene will be tightened and all you will see is the union jack in the corner, further justifying their claims.
                  : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                  : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                    I really hope that in season 5 we get to see special forces of countries other than America. Atlantis is supposed to consist of a international contingent but only American special forces seem to go through the gate which seems really odd as some of the countries which are represented on Atlantis have got some of the best Special Forces units in the world.

Australia
                    4th (Commando) Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (4RAR [Cdo])
                    Special Air Service Regiment (SASR)

Canada
                    Canadian Special Operations Regiment
                    Marine Commando Regiment

Czech Republic
                    SOG (Special Operations Group)
                    601st Special Forces Group

France
                    1st Marine Infantry Parachute Regiment (1er RPIMa)
                    ALAT detachment for Special Operations (DAOS)

Germany
                    Fallschirmspezialzüge (Pathfinder) of the Fallschirmjäger
                    Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK)

New Zealand
                    Special Air Service of New Zealand (NZSAS)

United kindom
                    Special Air Service (SAS)
                    Special Reconnaissance Regiment (SRR)

I honestly dont know why it annoys me that only US Airmen or US Marines seem to go through the gate but for some reason it does.

Dude, u made the mistake everyone makes!!
                    Royal Marines Commando!! They'd be perfect for SGA, or SG1! The whole concept of 'ship soldier' turned SF makes them ideal!
                    sigpic
                    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SpetzAU
                      Spetznaz? (Spetsnaz?) Or is that the Communist era designation?

Or am I just wrong?

you're right but there other russian SOF units
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
                        It would be great to see an Aussie have an active role on SGA, that's for sure. Although, as the others have mentioned with British accents, I'd hope for a real Australian accent. No offense to the Americans here, but I've yet to see an American carry off an Australian accent.

Off topic-I've been watching Torchwood, and I'm falling in love with the Welsh accent. It's gorgeous.
                        sigpic
                        My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

The British Gurkhas are they any good??
                          They have augmented owe (dutch) solders in Afghanistan for some time now.
                          sorry cant spell

Comment

This was from Joseph Mallozzi blog 2 days ago.

flingslass writes: “Would Australians be there as military personnel or would they be there as part of the scientific contingent.”

Answer: Both.

I am hoping that that means we will atleast see some Australian Special Forces in season 5 of Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
                              i think the problem with a multinational force is that in the heat of battle if a communications problem should arise it would be dreadful.
                              You'll be awfully surprised, but yes... they do teach us Germans English at school... in fact, today's schoolchildren start around class three. And yes, we do have special English classes for our soldiers if they are going to serve in places where English is the main language.

Although i swear I have seen german forces in atlantis
                              Frequently, yes. First time I noticed them was in "Conversion" when two of them were placed outside Sheppard's quarters.

but the dutch armd forcee in general are considerd one of the world best armys.
                              After reading Armin Wohlgethan's accounts about his missions with the KCT in Afghanistan, I wholeheartedly agree

BTW, I'm not sure if you could count the Feldnachrichtentruppe (reconnaissance unit) in as another German Special Force.

Anyway, I'd love to see and hear more Germans in general (that's why I asked Joe about the possibility of having a team consisting only of non-English speaking people... I hope he'll answer the question ), not only soldiers.
                              I'm a 60%er.

I will always place the mission first.
                              I will never accept defeat.
                              I will never quit.
                              I will never leave a fallen comrade.
                              ------
                              "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."

Comment

Originally posted by RowenaR View Post
                                Frequently, yes. First time I noticed them was in "Conversion" when two of them were placed outside Sheppard's quarters.
                                Yes but did you also notice in that episode that Weir breifly spoke to him and he replied with a American accent. It was a big mistake by the director as traditionally German soldiers do not speak with American accents.

Comment

Working...
                                X