This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
    LOL ! I know what you mean.I really liked Grodin,but the upper-crust English accent bugged me a little.Very few Brits speak like that .
    And he couldn't even get the upper-crust English accent right, is it just me who thinks his "A"s were a little too American at times?
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Not sure,but this gives me a great opportunity to rewatch some of my dvds this afternoon.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Germany
        Fallschirmspezialzüge (Pathfinder) of the Fallschirmjäger
        Now thats a mouthfull

Honestly i think the SAS is probably going to make an appearance one day and maybe the first non-USA special forces shown assuming they haven't already been shown, because i could have sworn i saw soldiers with the brittish flag on their uniform in the siege
        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
          Now thats a mouthfull

Honestly i think the SAS is probably going to make an appearance one day and maybe the first non-USA special forces shown assuming they haven't already been shown, because i could have sworn i saw soldiers with the brittish flag on their uniform in the siege
          There are guards who come from different countries on Atlantis as i do remember seeing the British, Spainish and German flag on a couple of people on Atlantis though i have never seen any of those people go offworld and from what ive seen their primary duties seem to be security which means they probably never leave the base. The only soldiers who get to leave the base on offworld missions appear to be American.

Comment

Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
            United Kingdom
            Special Boat Service (SBS)
            Special Forces Support Group (SFSG)

I'm British, so i thought I'd point out that we have more than the SAS and SRR.

But ye, other countries should be more involved, especially Britain and Canada as were probably the closest allies of the US and are therefore most likely to be trusted with protecting the expedition, seeing as the US controls the Stargate program.
            SFSG are not Special Forces. They're what you'd call Special Operations Forces. A little more elite than regular units, but not SF by any stretch of the imagination.

SRR, SAS and SBS are the only SF we have. We need no others.

The Majority of American "Special Forces" are in fact SOF. It's a common misconception, but they are VERY different and should NOT be confused.

I don't think the gate needs that many SF personell, the only missions that would require them would be ones like the final episode of SG1. Mostly I think SOF or regular infantry units are more suited to general gate travel, especially if it's a first contact mission or diplomatic. SF should only ever be used for major crisis situations when you need to infiltrate the enemy strong hold. Actually an ideal example of SF operations in SG1 is The Fourth Horseman, wehen the SG unit was undercover. SF would do that.

There's such a tendancy to misuse SF, especially on the US's front. The USMC is ideal to go through the gate, just as the British Paras are. But they're not SF. Nor are they SOF.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

the only US unit called "Special Forces" are the US Army "Green Berets".

Other units like CAG, SEAL, etc. are called in the US "Special operation forces"
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                the only US unit called "Special Forces" are the US Army "Green Berets".

Other units like CAG, SEAL, etc. are called in the US "Special operation forces"
                Ah, but SEAL Team 6 IS Special Forces, where as the rest of SEAL is merely SOF.

I believe Delta Force is also SF is it not?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                  Ah, but SEAL Team 6 IS Special Forces, where as the rest of SEAL is merely SOF.

I believe Delta Force is also SF is it not?

Those two units are CT units and SOF.

SF are "Green berets"

I believe what I call SF is called SOF in the USA
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm referring to the actual definitions, I've just completed a module on Special Forces in the degree that I'm doing, and there was a whole lecture about the difference between SF and SOF, so I'm positive that SEAL Team 6 is SF. Delta Force I BELIEVE to be SF, but I'd have to check to confirm.

The difference is usually in how they operate, numbers, and types of mission engaged in.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I agree, but In the US, Special Forces refers to a specific unit, the United States Army Special Forces or "Green Berets" and the term Special Operations Forces (SOF) is used in its place to refer to the aforementioned units.
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Not sure I follow.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                          My bad. My knowledge of Dutch special forces is limited at best. I also tried to find some Russian special force units but after 3 minutes of searching the net i gave up
                          the russians are stil in progres of training tham (mony trobel and s**t)

but the dutch armd forcee in general are considerd one of the world best armys. its small so we got extra funding for alot more training (than the rest including the US) and stat of the art equipment
                          sorry cant spell

Comment

Originally posted by kefke20 View Post
                            the russians are stil in progres of training tham (mony trobel and s**t)

but the dutch armd forcee in general are considerd one of the world best armys. its small so we got extra funding for alot more training (than the rest including the US) and stat of the art equipment
                            The Australian Armed Forces are similar. Due to the fact we are a small country we dont have as many troops as alot of other nations which makes it even more important that each one of our soldiers is very well trained. The Australian government spends alot more money training each individual soldier than most other countries in the world.

Comment

Atlantis offworld teams should be like RAINBOW. It would be cool to see a mix team made up of individuals drawn from the militaries of the various countries represented on Atlantis. In a sense they already do with Col. Sheppard's team. He has himself (USAF), McKay (Canadian), Telya (Ethosian) and Ronan (Satedan). Just imagine the team dynamic and character interactions on a team made up of US, German, Russian and Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                                The Australian Armed Forces are similar. Due to the fact we are a small country we dont have as many troops as alot of other nations which makes it even more important that each one of our soldiers is very well trained. The Australian government spends alot more money training each individual soldier than most other countries in the world.
                                Yes that is the adventis of a small army and a high GDP we can’t occupy a nation but we haven’t trouble in wiping out 95% of the current world armed forces ((including Russia and china) and 2 years ago in a war-game with the US 2 Dutch subs defeated a entire US carrier group)

Another example (not exaterated ) in the US if you finish boot camp you can be sende out to Iraq of Afghanistan but with us you needed a 2 year training before you can go to Afghanistan. It`s not strange that the Dutch gov was very very upset and disappointing by the US defset by calling the EU Allis not adequate trained for Afghanistan and demanded a apologue ore we will pull back or forces in urusgan.

So I think we can go to Atlantis.
                                Last edited by kefke20; 03 February 2008, 05:21 PM.
                                sorry cant spell

Comment

Working...
                                X