X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    the facts are the ratings are fine and the show's been renewed
    Yeah, I bet they're crowing from the rooftops about how proud they are of those two 0.9 ratings.

As for my 'credibility' -- my being a Weir fan has nothing to do with the fact that I don't like Carter or Keller. I lost all interest in Carter in about season 6 or 7 of SG1, to the point where I couldn't watch the show anymore because of her. Keller, I just find ridiculous.

Try telling the Carter fans their opinions aren't valid on the Carter/Weir debate because they're Carter fans. I bet you wouldn't even dare to do that.

Weir fans get enough crap around here without you also telling us our opinions don't count or aren't valid, and yeah, it is offensive, because our opinions are as valid as anyone else's.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
      Yeah, I bet they're crowing from the rooftops about how proud they are of those two 0.9 ratings.
      like I said let's not discuss the ratings, this isn't the right thread

As for my 'credibility' -- my being a Weir fan has nothing to do with the fact that I don't like Carter or Keller. I lost all interest in Carter in about season 6 or 7 of SG1, to the point where I couldn't watch the show anymore because of her.
      I wasn't talking about credibility, that is and should not be the issue, I said 'objectivity'. and frankly there's nothing wrong with that. you're a die hard Weir fan? ok. there's nothing wrong with that

Keller, I just find ridiculous.
      ok

Try telling the Carter fans their opinions aren't valid on the Carter/Weir debate because they're Carter fans. I bet you wouldn't even dare to do that.
      you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying your opinion isn't valid. that's bullsh**, every opinion is valid. hell that's why I'm here, to be able to discuss the show with people who have different opinions

Weir fans get another crap around here without you also telling us our opinions don't count or aren't valid, and yeah, it is offensive, because our opinions are as valid as anyone else's.
      again I didn't say you opinion isn't valid or it doesn't count! I was merely saying that you're probably not as objective as other people because you're a Weir fan (and again, there's nothing wrong with that). I in no way wanted to offend you or any other Weir-fan, if I did I'm truly sry
      sigpic
      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

As well as the regular cast of the past 4-years I definitely want Amanda to come back! She's always a joy to watch! I also want Jewel to return. I really want her to be a regular from the start of Season 5. I'd like Richard Dean Anderson to do a guest appearence and I wouldn't object to guest appearences from Michael Shanks and Christopher Judge either.

Torri Higginson has said she won't be back as a regular now so if she returned for the odd guest appearence here and there then that'd be good. Same with Paul McGillion too.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          I also want Jewel to return. I really want her to be a regular from the start of Season 5.
          The be prepared to loose her in Saturday.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            The be prepared to loose her in Saturday.

Hahahaha, you are one funny cookie . Of course, she tries to bungee jump off the main tower and she forgets to tie the rope and dives in the water whilst McKay tells Sheppard to fire up the star drive. My last wish before I die .

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Thats not going to happen nor do I want it to happen.Beckett might return but the chances for Weir return to a reccuring role are slim to none. Interesting is relative. Some people like the change, some don't. In the long run TPTB need to please the majority. That must have happened considering they were renewed for a 5th season in the first place.
              Unless you've developed psychic powers, you don't know what will happen in season 5. You only know what you think is likely to happen or not happen.

As to TPTB pleasing the majority of viewers. Again, that's only your assumption. There are various theories as to why the renewal came through.

ok that's your opinion. apparently a lot of fans disagree because the ratings are fine and the show's been renewed
              Yes, it's my opinion that Carter and Keller are dull, uninteresting characters and I hope they are gone for season 5. You don't have to share that opinion, but please speak for yourself and not for what you think other fans feel. And please, please, please don't launch into another discussion of ratings.

TBTB didn't bring in Carter to be the lead scientist, that's Rodney's and Zelenka's job. and while Shep has shown on the past that he can handle military issues in the past, he's on ly a Lt Col. Carter was the logical choice because she has a lot of experience in all things that concern the SG, she's a military officer and she understands the science stuff Rodney's talking about (none of those apply Weir btw). her job is to oversee everything not take over Rodney's or Shep's jobs. btw the fact that you're a die hard Weir fan doesn't add to your objectivity (no offense)
              It's curious that you feel Sheppard's rank as a Lt. Col. disqualified him from leading the expedition. How long exactly had Col. Carter been a Col. when appointed to her job on Atlantis? Weeks? a couple months?

So Carter has scientific skills and military experience. That doesn't mean she has any capability as a leader. And, since this is telelvision, where the characters need to be both qualified and entertaining, Carter's scientific and military skills don't necessarily mean she's the best leader for Atlantis. Qualifications don't make a character engaging. IMO Carter falls flat.

It's interesting that you dismiss someone's opinion based on what character they favor. Since you're a die hard Carter fan, should we discount your opinion too?
              Last edited by Cautious Explorer; 15 December 2007, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                Only if those characters are replaced with more interesting characters. That didn't happen. I think they should cut their losses, dump the uninteresting new characters, Carter & Keller, and bring back Beckett and Weir. Atlantis needs its old dynamic back.
                So in other words, you want the reset button (and not the soft kind) pressed?

Now THAT will be taking it safe.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  So in other words, you want the reset button (and not the soft kind) pressed?

Now THAT will be taking it safe.
                  In the eyes of TPTB? I doubt it. Can't cut that SG-1 apron string.

Comment

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Bring back Weir and Carson permanently and going back to the same dynamic as before is a reset, pure and simple. Of course, you might not mind it.

But I would.

Comment

Personally, I think that only the team four should return as regulars, and everyone else should be recurring.

(Hides from everything being aimed in my direction).

I'm actually serious though. JM said this....

“In my opinion, the focus of the show is the team: John, Rodney, Ronon and Teyla, and those are the ones that make sense to have as regulars. The base commander, CMO, other scientists and military personal are supporting and it makes sense to have them on a recurring basis.”

JM's answer: A very interesting opinion that is pretty much in line with my approach to the show.
                      I could actually see them doing this, and it being good. I'm not saying they WILL do this - I know you have to be careful how literally you take what JM says. But I think it would work well. Yeah, it's not how they've been in the habit of doing Stargate, but it would make sense to have Carter and/or Weir, and Beckett and/or Keller as recurring and only bring them in when they needed them for scenes. They could do this even if Carter stays as base commander, which I expect she will.

They wouldn't be tied to having to create storylines for those characters and could focus on the team, and more team missions (hopefully-I'm crossing my fingers) and get them away from Atlantis and out exploring the Pegasus Galaxy. I wouldn't mind an "exploring Atlantis" episode or two, but we have far too many Atlantis and/or earth-based episodes on the schedule this year. Under the circumstances, with the city moved and Teyla's condition and the new characters coming in, it's understandable, but I very much hope it's only a transitional thing.
                      - Life after Stargate -
                      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                      sigpic

Comment

Carter's not even remotely a new character having been on SG1 for ten years, so describing her as one really is a misnomer.
                        I didn't say she was but to those who never watched SG-1 she is. But the point is she is new to the show.

I do not understand for the life of me why they would think bringing her in because "OMG! She's so cool! She's a scientist and a military person! We need that!" is a reasonable line of thought. They want military? They have Sheppard and Lorne. They want scientists? They have McKay and Zelenka. All she does is triple up on what they have. She offers nothing that those characters couldn't have handled. What is missing is a Daniel Jackson type of character in this cast, and that's a role that Elizabeth Weir could have filled, had TPTB been a little smarter.
                        HA! Weir is not even half as smart as Daniel when it comes to Ancient. Carter is the perfect fit because she has both military and scientific backround and she can command the base far better than Weir. All she knew was being a diplomat and did fine in those situations but not in military ones. Carter is by far the better leader.

As for Keller -- don't get me started on how irritating that character is. I loved Jewel as Kaylee on Firefly, but casting her as a CMO is a joke. And a bad one at that.
                        Not in my eyes she is a very compasionate woman and does a great job but I do miss Carson. However I have grown to love Keller.

If they were smart, they never would have got rid of Beckett and Weir in the first place. The fact they're bending over backwards to make his fans happy shows they know they were dumb in that case. The fact they continue to snark at Weir fans shows that they think some viewers are expendable, which is something no decent producer in their right might would think.
                        Whatever I disagree. They do not snark at the Weir fans. Just becuase you are unhappy doesn't mean they are doing it to irrritate you.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Unless you've developed psychic powers, you don't know what will happen in season 5. You only know what you think is likely to happen or not happen.
                          correct

As to TPTB pleasing the majority of viewers. Again, that's only your assumption. There are various theories as to why the renewal came through.
                          true but remember the show's been renewed which means TBTB have to please at the very least enough fans

Yes, it's my opinion that Carter and Keller are dull, unintersting characters and I hope they are gone for season 5.
                          ok

You don't have to share that opinion, but please speak for yourself and not for what you think other fans feel.
                          it was and is not my intention to speak for other fans. let's agree that apparently enough people are watching Atlantis to get another season, whether they like the show or not

And please, please, please don't launch into another discussion of ratings.
                          I already said I won't talk about the ratings as this isn't the appropriate thread. I only said the show's doing fine, which I will repeat as long as somebody brings it up, nothing more

It's curious that you feel Sheppard's rank as a Lt. Col. disqualified him from leading the expedition.
                          I believe Shep's capable of being military commander of Atlantis whether he's a Lt or General, his rank wouldn't matter to me. however remember after making contact with Earth he got promoted because the AF felt it wasn't right to let a Major lead the military of such an important base. if Shep were to replace Carter I'd expect him to get another promotion. after all that's why Carter became a full-bird Col (I think it wasn't because of the movies but please correct me if I'm wrong)

How long exactly had Col. Carter been a Col. when appointed to her job on Atlantis? Weeks? a couple months?
                          that's actually a very good point and I agree, Carter has never before in her career been leader of that many people or commanded such an important outpost. like I said I'd expect a military leader of Atlantis to at least hold the rank of Col, be it Shep, Carter etc

So Carter has scientific skills and military experience. That doesn't mean she has any capability has a leader.
                          this is essentially correct imo. Carter's never been in this position thus we can only speculate how she will react to certain stuff

And, since this is telelvision, where the characters need to be both qualified and entertaining, Carter's scientific and military skills don't necessarily mean she's the best leader for Atlantis. Qualifications don't make a character engaging.
                          no it doesn't mean she's the best leader, however her resumee shows that she might be a good leader. add to this her experience, military and scientific skills and one may assume that she's perfect for the job (just to be clear on this, personally I don't think Carter's perfect for the job, she's ok but certainly not infallible)

IMO Carter falls flat.
                          ok

It's interesting that you dismiss someone's opinion based on what character they favor.
                          I don't

Since you're a die hard Carter fan, should we discount your opinion too?
                          I'm not a die hard Carter fan. I like her character, that's it. and just so you know I like Weir too I never discounted your opinion, I think I already answered this question in another post. in fact I'm glad you have another opinion because let's face it otherwise this forum would be really dull

um why don't we stop talking about Carter, Weir and different opinions? I have a feeling that sky will soon read these posts and recommend we drop the issue since it's not the right thread for this
                          sigpic

Comment

Holy whizzle, posts become longer and longer .

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                              Holy whizzle, posts become longer and longer .
                              sry for that long post
                              sigpic

Comment

Unless you've developed psychic powers, you don't know what will happen in season 5. You only know what you think is likely to happen or not happen. ?*
                                Maybe I do have psychic powers. I was speculating, obviously I don't know for certain whats going to happen in S5. I thought it was obvious that I was guessing.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X