Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 5 episode tidbits/discussion/speculation (potential spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    I know! I mean, it doesn't matter that SG1 totally ripped the AU idea from other places, but for Atlantis, it's just, like, totally a crime punishable by the death penalty!
    Tell me about it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I look at it this way. Point?* of View?* is more similiar to There But the Grace of God than Doppleganger is to Cold Lazarus. But Doppleganger and Cold Lazarus will be called a ripoff first. IMO, some fans are too quick to call an episode a ripoff. Almost every Scifi element has already been used.
      But it's not so much the concept, it's how it's delivered. I mean every time they do an AU episode, it usually involves (using SG1 as an example)

Jack as General and Hammond as Colonel (early SG1)
      Hammond still SGC commander (late SG1)
      Certain characters either in love/married
      Certain characters playing only slightly different versions of themselves (eg Dr Carter vs Major Carter, or Rod vs Rodney)
      A copy of our reality which is only marginally different to our own
      Characters that are dead in our reality are not dead in the new one
      Often the AU people sacrifice themselves to save our reality

If they could be original in the way they do it I wouldn't be against it. IDK, maybe have Weir as military commander, Sheppard as the Doctor, Beckett as civilian leader. I know that idea sucks but my point is why don't they put people in totally different roles, rather than marginally different versions of themselves? Then it wouldn't feel so tired. But that's just IMO of course.

EDIT: I made that sound like I was totally against AU/AR stories. Not true. I happen to think that The Road Not Taken was one of the strongest standalone eps SG has ever done. But the AU/AR part was secondary to the rest of the story. My point is that they can be done well, just that IMO more times than not they are not
      Last edited by gateraid; 03 January 2008, 08:50 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
        exactly! if it were a different show nobody would complain but no this is a spin off and thus almost everything is a total rehash
        I know. It's not like The X-Files,Star Wars,Star Trek,Farscape,BSG etc actually have 100% orriginal ideas right?
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
          I know. It's not like The X-Files,Star Wars,Star Trek,Farscape,BSG etc actually have 100% orriginal ideas right?
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
            It's not like The X-Files,Star Wars,Star Trek,Farscape,BSG etc actually have 100% orriginal ideas right?
            With the exception that the Stargate PTB don't have access to these scripts, which allows the loss of a few words here and there, add a few, change the characters a little, add a bit of Lantean technology or Wraith (or Asuran) ... and there you go a script useable for SGA.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              With the exception that the Stargate PTB don't have access to these scripts, which allows the loss of a few words here and there, add a few, change the characters a little, add a bit of Lantean technology or Wraith (or Asuran) ... and there you go a script useable for SGA.
              But the fact is Falcon, that thing, that you have just described there, hasn't happened. You make it sound like they took an SG-1 script and just changed it for their characters. That isn't true at all.

TPTB have employed elements from previous stories, and turned them into something different. But it seems some people are unable to comprehend that a plot device can be used to make a totally different story, and instead they 'see everything in black and white' as it were...

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                But the fact is Falcon, that thing, that you have just described there, hasn't happened. You make it sound like they took an SG-1 script and just changed it for their characters. That isn't true at all.
                I admit a little to the extreme... still, it's still possible for them to go that way, although I sincerely hope they don't.

TPTB have employed elements from previous stories, and turned them into something different.
                The problem with that, like I have mentioned before, is that it's in the same franchise by the same PTB which makes it different. It shows a lack of creativity. I don't care if you use timetravel again, but try to think outside the box and instead of thinking back to what they did a gazillion times on SG1, try to do it differently on SGA.

They should forget about SG1 - I mean, like when you're studying for your exams. One day you have to study History of Ancient Rome, the next day you have to able to produce something, and as soon as the exam is over you have to forget about Ancient Rome and move onto History of Egypt. There's no way you can use the same elements again in the Egypt-exam for you will flunk it.

If they can do that for season 5, that would be okay.

But it seems some people are unable to comprehend that a plot device can be used to make a totally different story, and instead they 'see everything in black and white' as it were...
                Or these guys have watched SG1 religiously and find that they are still watching exactly the same show but with different characters.

Comment

Why do I have a bad feeling that they will kill off a major character in the second half of Atlantis season 4? Maybe this is the reason, why they didn't say nothing officially about the cast, because they won't give us such big spoiler.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    Why do I have a bad feeling that they will kill off a major character in the second half of Atlantis season 4? Maybe this is the reason, why they didn't say nothing officially about the cast, because they won't give us such big spoiler.
                    And who do you think will kick the bucket (right?) next? Who do you consider major enough?

Comment

I think Teyla, Zelenka or Lorne.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The problem with that, like I have mentioned before, is that it's in the same franchise by the same PTB which makes it different. It shows a lack of creativity. I don't care if you use timetravel again, but try to think outside the box and instead of thinking back to what they did a gazillion times on SG1, try to do it differently on SGA. They should forget about SG1 - I mean, like when you're studying for your exams. One day you have to study History of Ancient Rome, the next day you have to able to produce something, and as soon as the exam is over you have to forget about Ancient Rome and move onto History of Egypt. There's no way you can use the same elements again in the Egypt-exam for you will flunk it.If they can do that for season 5, that would be ok
                        IMO, Time travel has been acheived differently every time and is used for different reasons. Just for the sake of arguing, I have to ask how Doppleganger is a reuse of Cold Lazarus. That one has baffled me for weeks
                        *sticks fingers in ears* I can't hear you.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

still, it's still possible for them to go that way, although I sincerely hope they don't.
                          I'm with you there. The thing is though, as far as I can see they do change it and think outside the box... Take Cold Lazuras and Doppelganger. People screamed rip off, but apart from the idea of the entity being in a crystal, you couldn't really have gotten to dissimilar episodes.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Joe Mallozzi has said Teyla is in season 5 on his blog. Sorry I don't have a link, can anyone back me up here?

Comment

IDK why you have a bad feeling but I don't think anybody will be killed in the second half (except for Weir maybe but I doubt it)

Zelenka and Lorne aren't main characters and Teyla will be in s5 IIRC

I'm pretty sure Joe Mallozzi has said Teyla is in season 5 on his blog. Sorry I don't have a link, can anyone back me up here?
                              I haven't got a link but I'm pretty sure that Joe confirmed it
                              sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Anonymous #1 writes: “Are there plans for Teyla to be in Season 5 or for her to leave with her child and lead her people?”

Answer: Teyla will be in season 6.
                                http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ember-19-2007/

He amended that the next day to say Season 5, not 6.

Comment

Working...
                                X