Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Travelers Pre Airing Discussion/speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
    Because who wouldn't want a big fancy battleship to help fend off the Wraith? From the sound of things, they are technologically advanced and they are already interested in being able to use Ancient technology and are looking for a way to make the tech work for them - which is where Sheppard comes in. I can imagine the ep bringing up something of a discussion (which was kinda touched upon with Weir and Kolya in The Storm) about who has more right/entitlement to the Ancients' legacy in the Pegasus galaxy... when asked to give one word that summed up something about each of the eps for Season 4 so far, Joe Mallozzi said "rivalry" for Travelers. I can see the Travelers attitude being that, as Pegasus galaxy natives, they have more right to Ancient tech and using it than the Atlantis team do... thus giving us the element of rivalry... two advanced races both seeking to collect and use Ancient tech.

Oh...I like that Ali!! I just hope Shep really becomes a pawn in the struggle and is used and abused to 'help' the Travelers gain access to that tech.

I can't help but wonder, these Travelers may be advanced, but obviously can't use all the ancient tech (especially if they need Shep to help interface with it), so how much claim can they well, claim too being Ancient tech for themeselves? At least the Expedition does have several members who are more than capable of using Ancient tech. What am I missing?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
      Oh...I like that Ali!! I just hope Shep really becomes a pawn in the struggle and is used and abused to 'help' the Travelers gain access to that tech.

I can't help but wonder, these Travelers may be advanced, but obviously can't use all the ancient tech (especially if they need Shep to help interface with it), so how much claim can they well, claim too being Ancient tech for themeselves? At least the Expedition does have several members who are more than capable of using Ancient tech. What am I missing?
      If you think back to The Storm though, Kolya chided Weir for her presumptuousness at thinking that the Atlantis team had more right to Atlantis and to Ancient tech etc than the people of the Pegasus galaxy... true the Atlantis team are from Earth and are at least partly descended from the Ancients.. but the humans in Pegasus were put there by the Ancients and in many ways revered them and their legacy. True, they can't use Ancient tech... but then, until Beckett's gene therapy, very few Earth humans had the gene and could use the tech... who's to say it's not the same situation in Pegasus, that the natural gene is simply rare? The Genii started work on creating their own gene therapy to allow them to use Ancient tech and the Travelers are trying to make their own interface... from their point of view, how is what they are doing any different than Beckett engineering the gene therapy to allow Earth humans better access to Ancient tech?
      sigpic

Comment

If you think back to The Storm though, Kolya chided Weir for her presumptuousness at thinking that the Atlantis team had more right to Atlantis and to Ancient tech etc than the people of the Pegasus galaxy... true the Atlantis team are from Earth and are at least partly descended from the Ancients.. but the humans in Pegasus were put there by the Ancients and in many ways revered them and their legacy. True, they can't use Ancient tech... but then, until Beckett's gene therapy, very few Earth humans had the gene and could use the tech... who's to say it's not the same situation in Pegasus, that the natural gene is simply rare? The Genii started work on creating their own gene therapy to allow them to use Ancient tech and the Travelers are trying to make their own interface... from their point of view, how is what they are doing any different than Beckett engineering the gene therapy to allow Earth humans better access to Ancient tech?
        I get ya. I wasn't defending the Expedition's right to lay claim to the Ancient tech either. I was just trying to figure out what I was missing this early this morning.

I understand the Ancients seeded the Pegasus Galaxy which means that somewhere we have to have more people with the natural gene. (other than those in the Tower *blech*).

So does anyone think these Travelers have anyone with the ATA gene? Maybe a 'weak' one like Beckett that allowed them to access some tech, but not do much else? Hence the need for someone like Sheppy to complete the interface and thier ability to use it?

OMg, if they want to access this tech to use against Atlantis (that rivalry - right to claim complex) Shep is going to be put in a delightful postion then isn't he??? SQUEE!!

Either way, this ep has loads of potential. I sure hope it doesn't gert screwed up.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, I must confess I'm a little disappointed with the latest news. First, because these human travelers are probably the new powerful race which was mentioned earlier. Second, because they live in a generational ship, which sounds a lot like a Voyager episode and some old sci-fi shows. Third, because these travelers have another Ancient vessel ready to be destroyed/forgotten by the Tau'ri. IMHO, this plot will have to be exceptionally good, or this ep will fail miserably. And by good I certainly don't mean some hot chick spanking Kirk, oops, Sheppard for 40+ minutes.
          sigpic

Comment

Taken out of context, *any* plot point can be considered to be similar to plots from other episodes/other shows. Before it aired, people were complaining that the episode The Ark was a re-hash of SG1's Lifeboat merely because the plot involved
            Spoiler:
            the survivors of a civilisation held in storage in some way
            sigpic

Comment

Taken out of context, *any* plot point can be considered to be similar to plots from other episodes/other shows. Before it aired, people were complaining that the episode The Ark was a re-hash of SG1's Lifeboat merely because the plot involved
              Spoiler:
              the survivors of a civilisation held in storage in some way
              Absolutely agree. The basic premise of many stories is often similar, but it's how the writer deals with the details that makes the episode.

I'm not overly excited about this one yet. Alien ships and technology don't really float my boat. We'll see what the character side of this brings though...
              sigpic
              by Kaaatie

Comment

It sounds like it could be quite interesting and it would be nice to have a human adversary now that the Genii have been neutered.

But they already have an Ancient warship they seem to have forgotten about and if they get another one only to blow it up then the theme of getting tech and then forgetting about/blowing it up is really going to start getting old.

Atleast SG-1 only got their hands on Hataks on a very rare occasion and you could forgive them losing it in whatever situation they were in, but we're already up to S4 and we've lost 1 Aurora, 1 Hiveship, forgotten about another Aurora and then there is the Travelers battleship which could go either way.
                I have no problem with them dangling Ancient tech infront of us and then removing it - just don`t do it so god damn often!!

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                  Well, I must confess I'm a little disappointed with the latest news. First, because these human travelers are probably the new powerful race which was mentioned earlier. Second, because they live in a generational ship, which sounds a lot like a Voyager episode and some old sci-fi shows. Third, because these travelers have another Ancient vessel ready to be destroyed/forgotten by the Tau'ri. IMHO, this plot will have to be exceptionally good, or this ep will fail miserably. And by good I certainly don't mean some hot chick spanking Kirk, oops, Sheppard for 40+ minutes.
                  the travelers live on the ship, but they do visit planets, so it's not like they're totally stuck in space, and the ship they want Shep to make work is similar to an Aurora class vessel. Yes, let's hope they don't blow this one up too, as the writers of both Sgs love to blow up ships. Why not get one and just have problems with it?

Hope they keep Larrin as a hard, military type leader who just sees Shep as a prisoner to be used, and nothing more.

Comment

from what i read about this episode it could mean that we get another lantean warship and if we do how long before we lose it again. Also is that what the people are living on? .But from what i have read it looks be a really good episode.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                      the travelers live on the ship, but they do visit planets, so it's not like they're totally stuck in space, and the ship they want Shep to make work is similar to an Aurora class vessel. Yes, let's hope they don't blow this one up too, as the writers of both Sgs love to blow up ships. Why not get one and just have problems with it?
                      I give them 39 minutes into the ep before it's blown up, lol

Hope they keep Larrin as a hard, military type leader who just sees Shep as a prisoner to be used, and nothing more.
                      I agree, someone who is a renegade and in the position she is, isn't likely to be shouldn't be all cutesy and be all girly girl, that'd really go against what we know of renegades. I'd love to see a smart cookie, who isn't afraid to kick ass when it's something she wants. Getting to that level of leadership, i'd expect her to have the respect of her 'men' so to speak, lol. And as that type of group, they'd have had plenty of practice (I would hope) of getting what they want by whatever means possible, and if it it's that cut throat a ship, then I expect big things from this ep.

Comment

Originally posted by IronGoliath View Post
                        OH MY GOD The Travelers info up on the main page that was just released blew me away.

I CANNOT WAIT until that episode airs! They FINALLY put Sheppard on the list to be rescued or something of the like, which is nice to see, as he's always the one doing the saving.

The concept behind it is fresh in my point of view and I think its going to be a fantastic episode.

Future Projections: Hopefully atlantis becomes friendly with these guys

If not, we gotta stop making enemies .
                        Totally agree, this info has only hyped up my squee levels, it looks like its going to be a pretty damn good episode I so hope we are not dissapointed. Its about time we saw Sheppard being the one rescued and hopefully his teams struggle to accomplish it. Just hope its not too easy I want to see Sheppard and his team struggle!!!

I so hope Shep's rescue isn't the Apollo showing up, locating Shep by his subdermal transmitter (or whatever its called) and beamed right out of the bad guys hands back to Apollo. I want more substance and more dramatic rescue than that.
                        That would be a cop out but could cope if the team went in to find him and ultimately rescue him and the beaming happens at the end, however it would be more fun to see them struggle to escape by some other means.

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
                        I HOPE it is a new class of ship!
                        The detail says "Battleship" I hope it is more than just a Warship!
                        Maybe a new class that was just finished but too late to change the war that will shred Wraith to pieces?! O-o
                        Yup I also hope its a new class ship, but nothing that would make it too easy to defeat the Wraith, I kind of like the Wraith as an enemy and wouldn't want them to be beaten too easily.

Because who wouldn't want a big fancy battleship to help fend off the Wraith? From the sound of things, they are technologically advanced and they are already interested in being able to use Ancient technology and are looking for a way to make the tech work for them - which is where Sheppard comes in. I can imagine the ep bringing up something of a discussion (which was kinda touched upon with Weir and Kolya in The Storm) about who has more right/entitlement to the Ancients' legacy in the Pegasus galaxy... when asked to give one word that summed up something about each of the eps for Season 4 so far, Joe Mallozzi said "rivalry" for Travelers. I can see the Travelers attitude being that, as Pegasus galaxy natives, they have more right to Ancient tech and using it than the Atlantis team do... thus giving us the element of rivalry... two advanced races both seeking to collect and use Ancient tech.

Exactly, that would be like driving round in a bog standard car and saying no thanks to a sports car, somehow I think most people would want to upgrade regardless of what they already have.

As for the rivalry part, I think you are bang on target. Its inevitable that an advanced race would want to lay claim to Atlantis tech to gain a strong advantage over everyone else in the galaxy, if not Atlantis in itself - just thinking, do you think they would want Atlantis? Did it say something in the info about them residing on the ship being part of who they? Wonder if they would want to settle on Atlantis? or just gain the tech... anyway....

I get ya. I wasn't defending the Expedition's right to lay claim to the Ancient tech either. I was just trying to figure out what I was missing this early this morning.

I understand the Ancients seeded the Pegasus Galaxy which means that somewhere we have to have more people with the natural gene. (other than those in the Tower *blech*).

So does anyone think these Travelers have anyone with the ATA gene? Maybe a 'weak' one like Beckett that allowed them to access some tech, but not do much else? Hence the need for someone like Sheppy to complete the interface and thier ability to use it?

OMg, if they want to access this tech to use against Atlantis (that rivalry - right to claim complex) Shep is going to be put in a delightful postion then isn't he??? SQUEE!!

Either way, this ep has loads of potential. I sure hope it doesn't gert screwed up.
                        That would be good, I like the idea that they have someone with a small ability to use the tech but nothing on the scale of Shep, potential to caus emore problems for Sheppard. Would also like to see Shep put in that position, could make for very interesting viewing.

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
                        I agree, someone who is a renegade and in the position she is, isn't likely to be shouldn't be all cutesy and be all girly girl, that'd really go against what we know of renegades. I'd love to see a smart cookie, who isn't afraid to kick ass when it's something she wants. Getting to that level of leadership, i'd expect her to have the respect of her 'men' so to speak, lol. And as that type of group, they'd have had plenty of practice (I would hope) of getting what they want by whatever means possible, and if it it's that cut throat a ship, then I expect big things from this ep.
                        It will be refreshing to see a female leader who doesn't mess around being nice and is so strong in character that she can hold on to leadership in a pretty difficult situation, commanding respect and being brutal and ruthless in doing so.

All in all this has just made me more happy about the ep, only negative thing is its too long to wait.

Comment

Are you blind? Did you not notice that this thread already exists and has over five pages of threads! Try searching before opening up another thread about the same topic.
                          sigpic

Comment

I would have liked to see the episode with the race of Asgards with there original form. Like the original form moved out to the pegasus galaxy over 10000 years ago with the Lanteans and have been living on a ship to not die to the Wraith....that sounds way better then the current episode...
                            Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

Oh great, another Warship.

Am I the only person who is getting tired by the introduction of supposidly long lost ships that just happen to still work, which will eventually be destroyed after 3 episodes, 4 tops.

sigpic

Comment

Just seen the spoilers for the ep travelers and thought id see what odds and guesses people have for the longevity (life span) that the new "ancient battleship" will have i reckon it'll survive 2 episodes and be destroyed in the first major space battle between Asurans and SGA so i'll give myself 3/1 odds.

Any more opinions/takers?

Comment

Working...
                                X